Is KSP too expensive?

SmallFatFetus

I bought the game for 20 dollars in a steam sale. I saw it today for 39.99. I know this isn't my place to judge, but I think that's a bit much. Don't get me wrong, I love the game and have logged hundreds of hours on it, but I see it as a bit of a barrier to entry. I've recommended KSP several people about it and every one of them said it was too expensive. I would love to hear your opinions on this.

SmallFatFetus

EDIT: think of whether it's a turn off to new players. Is $40 too steep for a game they might not like?

Edited by SmallFatFetus

800 hours / $40 = 20 hours of entertainment per dollar

800 hours / $20 = 40 hours of entertainment per dollar

(800+ being the number of hours I've logged on KSP)

I cannot think of another activity that can come even close.

I bought the game for 20 dollars in a steam sale. I saw it today for 39.99. I know this isn't my place to judge, but I think that's a bit much. Don't get me wrong, I love the game and have logged hundreds of hours on it, but I see it as a bit of a barrier to entry. I've recommended KSP several people about it and every one of them said it was too expensive. I would love to hear your opinions on this.

SmallFatFetus

Honestly the problem I have convincing people is that the demo does a p*ss poor job of convincing people the game is worth that. As someone who's logged over 1200 hours, I assure you it most certainly is and everyone I know who does buy in agrees, but proving that to them before they make the investment has actually required me to do some 'questionable' things which I will not state here.

$40 for something you love and that you've spent hundreds of hours on sounds like a steal to me. As hobbies go, that's pretty darn cheap. It's also a comparatively rare beast - a computer game where what you see is what you get. No DRM, no in-game purchases, no microtransactions, advertising or any other wretched attempt to nag you into spending more money.

If spending $40 on a computer game isn't in someone's discretionary spending budget, I can completely understand and sympathise with that. Do your research, play the demo, watch some YouTube videos and make an informed purchase (or not). But I don't think $40 is an unreasonable price.

$40 seems a bit high to me considering that so many things still need to be polished. If things improve at the pace I'm expecting, $40 might be a reasonable price in a year. But then, that's what sales are for. Speaking of which, when is the Steam Summer Sale?

I would pay $40 for this game without thinking twice (had I not already owned it) based JUST on the demo. I get far less entertainment value out of AAA $60 titles than I do from KSP.

That said, the question really is this: Would Squad get more GROSS Dollars for KSP at $20, $30 or at $40?

At $20:

6 sales = $120

At $30

4 sales = $120

At $40

3 sales = $120

At $20, would SQUAD more than double their sales volume, compared to $40?

At $30, would sales increase by more than 33%, compared to $40?

At $40, would sales volume exceed dollar losses at lower price-points?

A Steam study from last year ( or was it 2013?) found that games that sold at lower price-points more than make up for it in total volume, increasing Gross Income (often times drastically!) Based on this finding, I might be inclined to say "yes!" it might be "over-priced."

Really I think it's inaccurate to say that it's over or under-priced, to me KSP is definitely worth a $40 price-tag. Again it comes down to total sales income and the study shows that games that discount themselves heavily receive more gross sales income.

Edited by EtherDragon

I dont buy games full price if I can at all avoid it. For steam that means throwing it on my wishlist and waiting for an inevitable sale.

While I am glad they arent going for the full 60$ that alot of games charge, I think 40 is a bit high.

I could see 30 for the full release, but its their call. They have already made millions off KSP so something is working lol.

I wouldn't buy KSP 1.0.x

I fell in love with the 0.18 demo, and I absolutely adore what it has become, but I know I would have passed it by

$40 is too much, but the sale price is fine. If it was priced at $20 I'd only pay $10 in a sale - so I think the price is right.

OF course, having bought a store copy and a steam copy I have spent more than $40, so you must treat my testimony as unreliable.

I just got back from the Magic Kingdom. The last evening we were there I spent 60$ buying hot dogs and lemonade for 5 people right before the park closed.

KSP is cheap. Cheap cheap.

Having played the game for literally thousands of hours, I'd say it's worth the $40 price tag.

That being said, I can certainly see why somebody who's just coming to KSP could look at it and go, "$40 for this? Ha."

Knowing what I do, $40 for KSP is quite generous. (would still buy on sale)

Of all I knew was that it was an indy title with good reviews, $40 seems too high.

I think the right answer is to update the demo to a current version, but lock it to just Kerbin, Kerbol, the mun, (no other planetary bodies) and the level 1 research tiers. Should be relatively easy to throw together, give a taste of the game, but leave them wanting more. Not sure how you manage it so people don't just mod it to be like stock.

$40 is a reasonable price.

To many games are trying to charge $60 or more which is too much.

Sadly in a world where free to play is now the standard (not really free though) too many people just don't want to pay, and well the result is a lot of the games coming out these days are well junk.

KSP is one one of the good games out there and yes I would pay $40 for it.

I saw it today for 39.99.

Than we must be lucky because as late as after I joined the forums, Squad was thinking about making the game $60 at launch.

Oh yeah, and don't forget how people play for thousands of hours. It also simultaneously gives away lots of fun every hour!

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

Honestly, considering the value in the game and the breadth of mods, $40 is too cheap.

It has more content and potential game time than nearly any AAA title out there. Probably should be priced at $60 to be honest. Plus don't forget that most games release, get a patch or two and then that is it. Anymore content or changes costs money.

In any case, I'd think it best for them to have the regular price at $40 and do 50% sales instead of just pricing at $20. People like sales.

$40 for something you love and that you've spent hundreds of hours on sounds like a steal to me. As hobbies go, that's pretty darn cheap. It's also a comparatively rare beast - a computer game where what you see is what you get. No DRM, no in-game purchases, no microtransactions, advertising or any other wretched attempt to nag you into spending more money.

Agreed. It's a one-time, 40 dollar payment. Also, most games nowadays are upwards of 60 dollars so KSP is a decent price.

I do agree that is a bit pricey. The game lacks polish and (maybe I'm too spoiled by current games) better graphics. Planets are too barren and plain.

A Steam study from last year ( or was it 2013?) found that games that sold at lower price-points more than make up for it in total volume, increasing Gross Income (often times drastically!) Based on this finding, I might be inclined to say "yes!" it might be "over-priced."

It depends greatly on the type of game and the target demographic. Something like Minecraft that appeals to a huge market, or casual games for mobile, do profit greatly from lower prices. However, KSP is much more of a niche game... I think the people interested in it aren't too concerned with the price, and lowering the price probably wouldn't make it appeal to vastly larger demographics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.