Is KSP too expensive?

SmallFatFetus

The price of KSP is in conflict with what Squad wants KSP to be. They've said over and over again that KSP is supposed to be a game about launching rockets and making them explode into flying bits with amazing but terrible ragdoll physics. It's not supposed to be a faithful space simulator (according to the old FAR discussion). So then why is it $40?

I'm not clear how the question is related. Are only simulators allowed to charge $40? The game is popular and compelling, people seem willing to pay $40 for it, I don't know why not being a hard sim means that's an inappropriate price.

So, with a low demand, low price sensitivity, limited availability, only appeal to certain customers, no competition, limited substitutes and limited exposure, you punch up the price.

That is not how it works at all. First the early access proved that people who have no interest in space sometimes give games like this a try as well and quite a few of those were converted and are now suddenly highly interested in the subject. With a high price we wont get average joe to take chance on buying a game like this.

And you say because it is a niche market the price should be higher?? That makes absolutely no sense. There are plenty of niche games on steam and they are all priced way lower.

One nice example is simulator games and they generally rather cheap and some games like euro truck simulator or racing sims have been a great success and have brought in people who never thought they would get hooked on these games.

A lower price gives less profits per copy sold, but they will sell so much more copies that profits will most likely go up.

800 hours / $40 = 20 hours of entertainment per dollar

800 hours / $20 = 40 hours of entertainment per dollar

(800+ being the number of hours I've logged on KSP)

I have encountered only two games that were good value for money.

Fallout 3: $20, for only 1200 hours

and

KSP: $26, for less than 4000 hours.(so far)

That is sheer daylight robbery, Squad is charging me the ludicrous rate of 0.65c per hour to play their game!

That is more than a dollar per week!

I am an aerospace engineer so this is my dream game. I originally only thought about buying KSP because my friend told me it was only 15 dollars. I went to the website and BAM $40 price tag. I almost walked away but luckily I didn't. Sad thing is now I cant recommend this game to anyone because the things I love about it (the accuracy of the orbital mechanics and parts used to build space craft) would not be enough for other to overlook the bugs, graphics and price for friends who are not as into it as I am.

That is not how it works at all. First the early access proved that people who have no interest in space sometimes give games like this a try as well and quite a few of those were converted and are now suddenly highly interested in the subject. With a high price we wont get average joe to take chance on buying a game like this.

And you say because it is a niche market the price should be higher?? That makes absolutely no sense. There are plenty of niche games on steam and they are all priced way lower.

One nice example is simulator games and they generally rather cheap and some games like euro truck simulator or racing sims have been a great success and have brought in people who never thought they would get hooked on these games.

A lower price gives less profits per copy sold, but they will sell so much more copies that profits will most likely go up.

Well, imagine you put 10 "average joes" in a room with a box full of KSP, Euro Truck Simulator a random (cheap) racing game from steam, and tell them they can leave with any game they want, but don't tell them the price. How many would you imagine would leave out with KSP?

Then put 10 more and tell them they can test it before they choose.

Then put 10 more and price each game equally and tell them they can buy one.

(But this would only work if you could even get the average joes to the room, which is steam).

You will see that Euro Truck and racing sims aren't as niche as you think they are, in comparison.

Also try put Euro Truck or any other racing sim with an equivalent game in the same price range in the same room and have any type of person chose one. Then try the same thing for KSP... if you can find one.

And you say because it is a niche market the price should be higher??

I suppose your assumption is that by selling it lower price more will buy it and it will not be niche any more?

What if the sales wont go up even if you lower it?

First the early access proved that people who have no interest in space sometimes give games like this a try as well and quite a few of those were converted and are now suddenly highly interested in the subject.

A "few" yes.

Although I'd like it cheap myself (its probably good for society), If the developers got rent to pay, mouths to feed and a life to live the price is totally justifiable. There are not enough space nerds in the world, so even if they sell it cheaper, the increase they get from average joes converting is probably not going to result in as much profit as to selling it to space nerds (who will buy it no matter the price... like apple and so-called hipsters) for premium price.

I bought the game for 20 dollars in a steam sale. I saw it today for 39.99. I know this isn't my place to judge, but I think that's a bit much. Don't get me wrong, I love the game and have logged hundreds of hours on it, but I see it as a bit of a barrier to entry. I've recommended KSP several people about it and every one of them said it was too expensive. I would love to hear your opinions on this.

SmallFatFetus

EDIT: think of whether it's a turn off to new players. Is $40 too steep for a game they might not like?

no...

(periods were added to make the count 5 characters, original post was 2 characters)

When I saw the price increase, I thought "Well crap, now my friends aren't going to be able to have KSP any time soon." Followed by "I hope they don't [self-Redacted under Forum Rules]"

KSP is too expensive. 30 dollars is right, not 40.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly the problem I have convincing people is that the demo does a p*ss poor job of convincing people the game is worth that.

Yeah, especially because the New Demo is far too hard.

I feel the price is too high.

Not because it isn't worth it, but because it is way over the impulse purchase level for many (certainly is for me).

It might make the inevitable summer sales figures impressive though.

In the end only Squad know how sales have gone since release.

Not because it isn't worth it, but because it is way over the impulse purchase level for many (certainly is for me).

This. It's so important to account for impulse purchases on Steam, because people see something that's really cheap and they look at the trailer and they say "hey that looks REALLY cool and I need this game right now." But when your game does not get discounts and has a high base price (surprisingly fewer and fewer Steam customers buy games at base price; otherwise they look at SteamDB and wait around for a discount for a few months), these kinds of impulse sales are not taken advantage of.

Also, people pay $40 because they don't have a choice. If they could get it for $20, better! But game companies must beware when they're raising the price, because it's either $40 or $0 that customers are paying for the game.

Edited by longbyte1

I am an aerospace engineer so this is my dream game. I originally only thought about buying KSP because my friend told me it was only 15 dollars. I went to the website and BAM $40 price tag. I almost walked away but luckily I didn't. Sad thing is now I cant recommend this game to anyone because the things I love about it (the accuracy of the orbital mechanics and parts used to build space craft) would not be enough for other to overlook the bugs, graphics and price for friends who are not as into it as I am.

Nick, if what you want is a traditional space simulator, get Orbiter. KSP is NOT supposed to be a full-on accurate-to-real-life space simulator. It is, first and foremost, a GAME. Personally, I have long wanted some sort of space simulation game that is reasonably realistic, but reasonably easy (or perhaps I should say non-frustrating) to play. When, some years ago I heard of Orbiter, I was at first delighted, then sorely disappointed - because it is so realistic that in order to make use of it, one had to understand all the controls in the ships, and as it happens, I don;t want to spend half an hour going through realistic pre-flight checks messing with various electrical systems and making sure valves and pumps ae operating OK.

When I heard of KSP a little over a year ago, given it's cartoony appearance, I was hoping like heck that it wasn;t yet another game that is too UN-realistic to hold my attention. Luckily, and to my amazement, it hit the sweet spot for me - pretty good physics (good enough that you can actually learn things about real-world physics), but with fun game mechanics. And the Kerbals are , well, just so cute, too!

So far so good - but add to that - no DRM, the developers are at pains to make the game as easily moddbale as possible, and they actually listen to the community and respect their wishes to a reasonable extent? I still pinch myself now and then that such a wonderful thing has come into my life to entertain me so well for such a reasonable price.

I've not come across any other game giving even remotely so good value as KSP. And considering some of the ridiculous prices I see games advertised for these days, KSP in my opinion is excellent value. Orbiter - though actually free of charge - is not, to me, because it is not fun, to me.

So if what you want is full-on realism, try Orbiter. But KSP not being Orbiter doesnt detract from its excellent value for money. IMHO.

its one of the best selling games in steam.. so I doubt the price is a problem especially now its upto 1.0..

it might not be a "AAA" Game.. but most AAA class games are the same as all others like them.. KSP is unique... to those who payed up front during development we have to thank.. I dont feel its to much to ask.. it DID though cause me to delay a few months because of the price and eventually get it on a steam sale..

That said though I recently gifted it to a friend at full price.. I didnt regret a thing

its worth it for us seasoned players.. I think the likes of scott manley and his ilk are likely to increase exposure..

for anyone looking at if its worth it.. any of those videos well and truly show you what it is and what X amount of dollars buys.. plus the demo..

squads doing well with what they created from scratch.. I think personally it should all be admired as a grand accomplishment.. even if its a little more in price than

other games on steam currently.. its worthy every dollar

we also have to consider squad wasnt actually a game company at all before KSP.. it was a marketing company.. im sure they had investors to please as well as the gaming population :)

• 3 months later...

KSP is by far the best value game I've ever bought.

I paid 25 Euros for it last year and have logged over 1300 hours. Compare that with some other games I've played (fairly) recently.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - £25 16 hours

South Park: The Stick of Truth - £20 27 hours

Sniper Elite 3 - £28 29 hours.

I enjoyed all of these games and felt that they gave me decent enough value for money, but so far KSP has worked out at less than 2 euro cents per hour. I'm still putting in a decent number of hours per week on it, although more the occasional challenge and some artwork now, but I'm still firing it up for over 10 hours a week.

KSP is currently my most-played game on Steam, nearing 1,000 hours at this point. I believe when I bought it, it was $30 or so. I'd say I'm extremely happy with it and the price I paid.

Shoot, I've paid more for some games that I barely played at all, so I can't complain about KSP. :)

The other game with the best value I've bought on Steam is probably Tales of Maj-Eyal, a roguelike. I think I spent <$10 (probably <$5 even) and have put over 100 hours into it.

In Poland 40 Euros is around 170 PLN. It's about 10% of month income. Quite a lot.

But still worth it.

(Also post #200 woo!)

Wow, didn't realize it was so expensive there. A guy that works at my shop is from Poland, as he makes... well, let's just say it's more than that.

In Poland you earn something around 2500 PLN (around 600 Euros) in month. Add lots of taxes and you're left with around 70% of it - 1750 PLN (around 420 Euros). That's why almost 22 mln Poles moved out of here. Another 39 mln still live here.

Edited by PatPL

In Poland you earn something around 2500 PLN (around 600 Euros) in month. Add lots of taxes and you're left with around 70% of it - 1750 PLN (around 420 Euros). That's why almost 22 mln Poles moved out of here. Another 39 mln still live here.

Wow, that really puts things in perspective. I feel I should point out that where I live, rent on a single-room studio apartment is going at least $800/month (approx. 700 euros). So, we make a bit more, but everything is stupidly expensive. :\

$40 for a game... lets put this into perspective.

How much do you pay for;

Your cable bill

Your Internet Connection

Your cell phone bill

Going out for dinner

Going to the movies

An evening at the pub

A 6 pack of beer for that matter

The price fine, $40 is what you should expect to pay.

Now 50 60 70 and up, now you are getting into the realm of, "Is it really worth buying"

Edited by Korizan

How much I am willing to pay is totally dependent on how much I think the game is worth. I've bought games at full $60 price and was totally happy with my choice, but most of the time I wait till they get cheaper. It also depends on much much I trust the developer to give me my money's worth.

I paid $20 for KSP but considering how one of a kind and fulfilling it can be, I would have been willing to pay the full $40 they're asking now.

However, devs that have pissed me off pretty either have me passing on their games or waiting until they get super cheap in a year or so on steam. For example, Ubisoft has been on my crap list for a while, especially because of that piece of garbage known as Uplay, so I'm not paying more then $20 for anything they try to sell me. I can wait, I've got plenty of games to play to keep me busy until then.

Not cheap for kids. Same deal with Minecraft: parents don't trust online shopping, it's too expensive for a game, blah blah blah. (Same working-class parents who are just now buying a previous generation console for their kids.) And after all that they only get to play the game 1 hour a day on the living room desktop, with all the settings set to low. :rolleyes:

For adults, perfectly fine. Why not, drop $1500 more to upgrade your rig. After all you need to reach your monitor's refresh rate of 120 Hz right?

Edited by longbyte1

$40 is a fair price to pay for a game like KSP. There are games that are "free" or priced at a lower price but exact a larger toll for DLC, micro-transactions and the cost of internet connectivity (many require an internet connection for basic operate).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.