xEvilReeperx

[1.0.4] Stock Clamshell Fairings (June 1)

I finally had a chance to really sit down and play this weekend and my goodness, those stock fairings... I haven't seen this fix for them yet so here it is

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Features

• Fairing bases now have a toggle option. If set to Clamshell, all vertical groups of the panel will be merged together when jettisoned

I haven't included any tweakable options since I've seen at least two other mods that already add that. Those will work just fine with this plugin.

Download from KerbalStuff

Download from BitBucket

License: MIT

Source: BitBucket

Donations are always welcome!

btn_donate_LG.gif

Changelog:

1.0 (June 1)

• Initial release

Edited by xEvilReeperx

That's brillant! I kinda laugh every time those confetti fairings jettison, but they are quite destructive, even once rippend of an undeployed solar panel.

Sweet! Been waiting for someone with more aptitude than I do make this mod :)

Awesome, gonna test it now. Also SQUAD needs to put this into a patch update, or the next big update because this makes everyone happy.

Many thanks for bringing this plugin to life, clamshell fairings is a much needed option.

Yet another masterpiece by the master of pieces himself.

Yeah, that was bad. I'm up way past my usual bed time.

This is it, together with fairing tweaker a must have :D

Hi xEvilReeperx! I must say WOW, you rock! So many modders tried and failed at welding those chips together.

On a side note, has anyone ever tried implementing a texture switch of some sort into stock fairings?

Hi xEvilReeperx! I must say WOW, you rock! So many modders tried and failed at welding those chips together.

On a side note, has anyone ever tried implementing a texture switch of some sort into stock fairings?

Yes. I took one of the images from the ProceduralFairings mod and put it in place of the stock fairings image, and think the result looks much better. I sadly don't remember which file I replaced or which I used, but you can see the fairings in most of my videos in my current series.

Good option. And i think for this mod need one more option, is interstage fairing.

Stock fairings already do interstages reasonably well, though it can be a bit fiddly.

Yes. I took one of the images from the ProceduralFairings mod and put it in place of the stock fairings image, and think the result looks much better. I sadly don't remember which file I replaced or which I used, but you can see the fairings in most of my videos in my current series.

Replacing the texture file manually always works :) but I'm looking for a way to have multiple textures and an ability to switch between them.

Stock fairings already do interstages reasonably well, though it can be a bit fiddly.

Yea, but you have to stage them, otherwise the engine won't start, would be awesome to make an Apollo like interstage skirt (Between S-IC and S-II).

In my opinion it's awful to see the interstage getting ripped apart instead of letting it attached to the used stage.

Heh, I'm the opposite way, I prefer for the interstages to clear away so as not to risk interference. But I get where people are coming from with wanting them to remain intact.

Looks great! Will this be on CKAN?

It should be (KerbalStuff handles this for me right?)

Out of curiosity, how difficult was it to make the fairings do this?

Not especially difficult. I'm surprised not to see it coming in 1.0.3 for sure

In my opinion it's awful to see the interstage getting ripped apart instead of letting it attached to the used stage.

It wouldn't be too hard to make them stay attached as a pure visual effect. You'd still have to "stage" to be able to activate engines and you'd lose the aerodynamic advantage of the fairing the moment it's staged but if that's acceptable, I could investigate