[1.0.4]Civilian Population 1.7.5.1 (Update to 1.0.5 in Progress)

Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?

• Keep IVA's (they are fun to look at!)
    • Remove IVA's but offer in an Optional Download (would take more time to implement but doable!)

Well, I've been trying to remove the 'stalks' at the top and bottom of the housing units, to make them look better stacked. This would allow them to be set up more like ground buildings, possibly even as skyscrapers.

I've been considering adding main front entrances on all the housing, etc. but I wasn't sure what others would make of it. I was planning to make doorways that look more like the sort of door you might find on a civilian ground-based building, but which would also look appropriate in space. They would be lower-down on the buildings, but not in danger of being obscured by stacked parts. On the 25 and 60-kerbal homes, I was thinking of something like an expensive hotel entrance combined with an airlock. All except the smallest two houses would also get emergency escape hatches.

As for ground-based buildings, what kind were you thinking of? Roughly what size/shape/style of building?

can you add parts with the specific intent of being surface structures? you know like houses on earth only deployable with the click of a button.

A picture of some kinda of refrence to what you may be looking for would be much appreciated. No guarantee , but id be happy to consider, Daniel

On other fronts, my pull request for CKAN should have gone through so you should be seeing the mod up on CKAN any time now.

Also Ill have a few new parts up by the middle of this week, as well as a conversion for those using USI life support. (sorry been a busy last week for me)

@Comsic_Farmer, Taking a look at the edits you sent me now. Thanks again for your contributions :D

@rabidninjawombat: You're welcome. I enjoy designing and making things, and it's nice to get involved with something.

I've been looking at texture consolidation with a view to reducing the number of textures and the number of draws calls. I know practically nothing about that last part, but reducing material and mesh counts seems to be a good thing.

I'm now redoing the 8-kerbal house. I think it's time the Kerbin bedspreads made a comeback. I'm doing the sleeping quarters at the bottom, and a sixties-style living space up top, which can also act an an IVA. When mission crew show up, we can assume that any civilians have been consigned to their bunks. Although the inside area would be purely cosmetic, the IVA additions would be practically zero. And it would be easy to make an exterior-only version for those who really want to strip out the extra visuals. This part would also be a good candidate for the RPM visible interiors feature, so you can observe your crew lounging around when they should be doing something mission-critical. :cool:

A picture of some kinda of refrence to what you may be looking for would be much appreciated. No guarantee , but id be happy to consider, Daniel

On other fronts, my pull request for CKAN should have gone through so you should be seeing the mod up on CKAN any time now.

Also Ill have a few new parts up by the middle of this week, as well as a conversion for those using USI life support. (sorry been a busy last week for me)

@Comsic_Farmer, Taking a look at the edits you sent me now. Thanks again for your contributions :D

Something kinda like this please:

fb79ea5aac19f0de413c080f0d6b32bd.jpg

I was actually thinking of making something vaguely similar to that. I started designing some luxury accommodation with a rounded top, a more-or-less flat bottom and large windows. I've been looking around for inspiration, mostly at modern art houses, eco homes and alumni houses. I might try out two separate designs; one looking something vaguely like the house in that photo.

I've also considered a small pod, as a larger alternative to the current 4-kerbal 'house'. something like one of these:

03-futuro-house.jpg

mercury1-ed04.jpg

I do kinda like the look of that :D it does actually have a similarity to what is already in the pack. (Dont wanna stray to far away from the exisiting style. ) ill see what i can throw together, Thanks for the input danielL

I do kinda like the look of that :D it does actually have a similarity to what is already in the pack. (Dont wanna stray to far away from the exisiting style. ) ill see what i can throw together, Thanks for the input danielL

Your welcome :)

Short update:

Ran CivPop through its paces and the 1.0.2 update works just fine on 1.0.4. Yay!

I will have an official update ready for everyone by tomorrow evening baring any unforeseen circumstances.

Including:

--3 new parts

--Some great looking updates of existing parts (courtesy of Cosmic_Farmer again!)

--A Optional version for those running USI-Life Support to allow the production of Supplies.

works just fine on 1.0.4.

I didn't even realise there was a new version of KSP until I read that!

I've made some more updates to parts, including the eight-kerbal house - it now has a full interior. However, as I've been working on consolidating textures, it would be worth going over all the other models, as well, before these could be included in a release. Otherwise, it'd mean spamming the assets folder with even more textures. I've put together some larger textures to each replace 3 or 4 existing ones, as well as adding specular or emissive layers into the textures with could use them. This also allows mesh counts to be lowered, decreasing model file size, as well as decreasing draw calls (I think :blush:). I will submit what I've done so far.

I've also been working on an IVA for the large house. I thought that as I'd modelled the whole inside space already, making the IVA would be as simple as positioning the kerbals on seats. I was wrong. However, it shouldn't need too much tweaking to get this working on its own, and with Raster Prop Monitor's IVA functionality.

Short update:

--3 new parts

--Some great looking updates of existing parts (courtesy of Cosmic_Farmer again!)

--A Optional version for those running USI-Life Support to allow the production of Supplies.

Nice!!! Can't wait to test it

Please have the garden modules contain a bit of biomass. It's not logical for a garden to be unable to store biomass, a supply of biomass is pretty much what a garden is

drdeath, are you using an old version? the specific resource "biomass" hasnt been used in any of the resource loops since 1.4 (back when biosmass was used in MKS) There are other resources that do that same thing in the resource loop (substrate, waste/wastewater, etc) the biomass resource isnt part of the Community Resource Pack, or MKS/TAC-LS, which is why i removed it from the life support loops.

(Note if you are using USI-LS , there will be a resource chain for organics) Your welcome to add in the biomass resource to any of the parts via module manager config if you want (or if you need help doing so , just holler and I can throw a MM config for you together.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

1.7 Update:

Changelog:

• 1.0.4 Compatibility
  • Added 3 new parts (Reactor, Command Module Saucer, X-Large SAS Module)
  • Even more model and texture touch ups/opitmizations (Courtasy of Cosmic_Farmer) Shaved about another MB off the download size
  • Updated to the 1.0.4 version of KSPAPIExtensions

New Parts: (first 3 are the new parts )

Javascript is disabled. View full album

regarding the USI-Life support update: Ran into a small issue, and ill pop that into a small update in the next day or two.

hmm, the main VAB node for the bridge part (apparently 6.5M) doesn't match any of the main size nodes:

#4 = 5M

#5 = 6.25m *

#6 = 7.5m

#7 = 8.75m *

#8 = 10M

Where the nodes marked with stars aren't really recommended...

also, shouldn't the windows be on the top of the thing? Use the window position on the mark 1 pod as the standard for which direction is top.

The nodes on that reaction wheel are too close in to allow it to be used in a 7.5m stack.

hmm, the main VAB node for the bridge part (apparently 6.5M) doesn't match any of the main size nodes:

#4 = 5M

#5 = 6.25m *

#6 = 7.5m

#7 = 8.75m *

#8 = 10M

Where the nodes marked with stars aren't really recommended...

The bridge part (and the reactor) was specifically sized to match the largest of the existing modules in the pack already. (i.e. the Large Biosphere).

Though, if there is a demand for it, i can definitely add some adapter parts to 7.5m meter or 5m parts.

example:

k0lYVYP.png

also, shouldn't the windows be on the top of the thing? Use the window position on the mark 1 pod as the standard for which direction is top.

There is no up or down in space! :P As pretty much all of these modules are round/or have no specific noticeable "right" direction, I dont really see thew windows as on the bottom:P if it bothers you, you can always flip it in the VAB.

While you can launch these parts in the space from the launchpad, i usually recommend building them insitu using ExtraPlanetary Launchpads due to their sheer size.

The nodes on that reaction wheel are too close in to allow it to be used in a 7.5m stack.

That one is a bug on my part (though the wheel works fine with CivPop parts) ill adjust the interior nodes in and drop them in shortly when i finish up the config for USI-LS.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Hello, I have only just started playing with this mod, and I must say it is one of the more well-developed ones out there. The level is detail is pleasantly surprising, as is the easiness to use the colony parts. Overall, it's a great mod. I might do a video review on it soon-ish.

Hello, I have only just started playing with this mod, and I must say it is one of the more well-developed ones out there. The level is detail is pleasantly surprising, as is the easiness to use the colony parts. Overall, it's a great mod. I might do a video review on it soon-ish.

Thanks! if you do do a video review feel free to linked and ill try to find a spot to fit it in the front page posts :)

I was about to submit some updated stuff, but have run into even more bugs. I'm now having the screen turn black as soon as physics kicks in. This is a very common problem these days, and there are reports of it happening with 100% stock games, but I'm not sure if my most recent changes are causing it. I'm getting thoroughly fed up with all this nonsense. :rolleyes:

On a positive note, I like the new parts. Here's a civilian shuttle I put together.

4jniwh.jpg

It gets them from A to B. :cool:

And here's some other stuff I've been working on...

2nk2q80.jpg

I've added windows to the top of the 25-kerbal house. Not sure whether people would like the look of it, but I do. I thought it could do with some extra living space. I've also added some detail to the hull endpiece used on this and other parts. Thought I'd try adding lights to it, which would be useful for some docking activities, or otherwise knowing what not to bump into.

And last, but not least...

29ysjuo.jpg

I'm bringing it back. :D Still very much work-in-progress. I'll be re-doing most of the texturing. Not sure if I've overdone it with the level of detail. I'll leave others to decide.

On another positive note: I managed to get stock texture replacement to work (it really did take some work!). This should help cut down on the textures needed for the mod.

I was about to submit some updated stuff, but have run into even more bugs. I'm now having the screen turn black as soon as physics kicks in. This is a very common problem these days, and there are reports of it happening with 100% stock games, but I'm not sure if my most recent changes are causing it. I'm getting thoroughly fed up with all this nonsense. :rolleyes:

On a positive note, I like the new parts. Here's a civilian shuttle I put together.

http://i60.tinypic.com/4jniwh.jpg

It gets them from A to B. :cool:

And here's some other stuff I've been working on...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nk2q80.jpg

I've added windows to the top of the 25-kerbal house. Not sure whether people would like the look of it, but I do. I thought it could do with some extra living space. I've also added some detail to the hull endpiece used on this and other parts. Thought I'd try adding lights to it, which would be useful for some docking activities, or otherwise knowing what not to bump into.

And last, but not least...

http://i60.tinypic.com/29ysjuo.jpg

I'm bringing it back. :D Still very much work-in-progress. I'll be re-doing most of the texturing. Not sure if I've overdone it with the level of detail. I'll leave others to decide.

On another positive note: I managed to get stock texture replacement to work (it really did take some work!). This should help cut down on the textures needed for the mod.

Those look great Cosmic_Farmer! Yea I ran into the bug your talking about, and as far as i know its a stock issue (happened on an install without CivPop installed)

If you need any help with those modules/textures holler at me :) I always appreciate any contributions folks send my way. To be honest i need to add you as a co-author on the first page, with all of the contributions you've made.

I've got a few more parts in the work myself :)

Thanks. I'll send you what I've done now. They weren't causing that black-screen bug, after all. Once I re-installed KSP (I've had to do that several times since 1.0 was released) everything worked perfectly. The textures I've put together still need work, but they should be fairly efficient. Most of my parts should now use/have/make about half the number of drawcalls. I'm not happy with the bushes on the medium garden; I increased their size, to make more use of the space, but now their crudeness shows a lot more. I'm not sure how best to make them look more 3-D. I started adding fruit and blossom to the trees and bushes, too.

I've got a few more parts in the work myself.
I'm looking forward to that mini orchard you previewed before. That should nicely round out the food-growing parts catalogue.

Thanks. I'll send you what I've done now. They weren't causing that black-screen bug, after all. Once I re-installed KSP (I've had to do that several times since 1.0 was released) everything worked perfectly. The textures I've put together still need work, but they should be fairly efficient. Most of my parts should now use/have/make about half the number of drawcalls. I'm not happy with the bushes on the medium garden; I increased their size, to make more use of the space, but now their crudeness shows a lot more. I'm not sure how best to make them look more 3-D. I started adding fruit and blossom to the trees and bushes, too.

I'm looking forward to that mini orchard you previewed before. That should nicely round out the food-growing parts catalogue.

Yup, in the process of redoing the trees in them (making them look a bit more vibrant) , and a little general cleanup. Will have more to post in a few days.

Also, I'd like a few folks to test the USI-LS config that i have for the parts before i make it part of the general download. Everything seems to work fine in testing on my end, but id like a little input on general balancing, etc.

(I can honestly say i like the way the flow and parts feel using USI-LS rather than TAC, but its just a personal opnion :P Keeping TAC as an option for the parts stays in of course :) )

Keeping TAC as an option for the parts stays in of course

We may come to blows if you removed it. :wink: But seriously, I think that having support for USI and TAC is the best option. Which one is used as a default doesn't matter, as long as there are configs to handle both.

In the words of Mayer Amschel Rothschild:

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws."

Edited by Cosmic_Farmer

Also, I'd like a few folks to test the USI-LS config that i have for the parts before i make it part of the general download. Everything seems to work fine in testing on my end, but id like a little input on general balancing, etc.

Thank you for the awesome mod. This, Near Future and USI are why I came back to this game. If you're considering a public release for (alpha/beta? whatever) USI-LS testing, I'd love to get my hands on it. I was just searching this thread for a MM plugin to swap to USI-LS... Just hoping that "part of the general download" and private testing aren't one in the same :wink:. Either way, thanks again and happy modding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.