[1.0.4]Civilian Population 1.7.5.1 (Update to 1.0.5 in Progress)

Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?

• Keep IVA's (they are fun to look at!)
    • Remove IVA's but offer in an Optional Download (would take more time to implement but doable!)

The empty domes are pretty nice. I'm struggling to find a use for the particularly blank ones, as opposed to the easy-to-think-of-uses park ones. Maybe swappable textures or something to simulate a floor? Just random ideas :P

In general, though, any type of biodome looks awesome, so the more diversity, the better IMO :D

I just started building my most remote base yet on Pol. This mod really changes the play quite a bit.

y7hEaXT.jpg

One thing I've noticed is I cant figure out how to get the kerbals to reproduce. I have 60 civilians and more than enough food, water, oxygen but the growth rate and growth timer are stuck at 0. Is there something I'm missing on my base?

Edited by csmicfool

I just started building my most remote base yet on Pol. This mod really changes the play quite a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/y7hEaXT.jpg

One thing I've noticed is I cant figure out how to get the kerbals to reproduce. I have 60 civilians and more than enough food, water, oxygen but the growth rate and growth timer are stuck at 0. Is there something I'm missing on my base?

Nice! I don think ive ever gotten out to Pol

Are you positively producing Food? If you are loseing food, or at a static food production , they wont reproduce. There has to be at least a small positive on food production for make new civies.

Let me know if you have positive food production and still arnt getting new Civies. (also note that it takes several weeks to a month for a new civie to spawn)

Also I noted the little small tanks you placed around your base. Got a part in the next release that should help the resoure tank spam :)

Different size large resource containers.

PnzHdgx.png

Also I noted the little small tanks you placed around your base. Got a part in the next release that should help the resoure tank spam :)

Different size large resource containers.

Those look awesome! Looking forward to that update. Are those new lander legs too, or part of the tank?

I'm pretty sure I'm food positive. I have enough greenhouse to support 83 civilians and only 60 on board and all greenhouses are fully operational. You can see it's growing in the screenshot.

Is there a timer for reproduction growth versus tourism? I know it takes longer but I kind of expected a countdown.

Are there any other pre-requisites for civs to reproduce?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait - I miscalculated. I have greenhouse for 58, not 83. I'll try adding a farm or something and see what happens.

1.7.5 Update:

Fixes:

• Kerbal Reproduction Bug, there should not be any lingering issues now with kerbals reproducing outside of the Kerbin SOI.
  • Cleaned up textures on the mega drill.

Refinements/Additions

• Cleaned up all right click menus, they should be more concise and easier to read now (this is in preparation for a New CivPoP UI in 1.1, removed all unneeded or static info that did not change.
  • Added new Movie Type to the Theater! New :kiss:"Romance Movies" :kiss: Provides a 10% bonus to Civilian Reproduction when playing (Per theater)
  • New Parts: New Large Storage Tanks! These will hold Liquid/Gas/Loose stuff(like Organics and Substrate) Comes in 3 sizes (Regular, Large, Enormous!)
  • NOTE: Older Smaller tanks are being phased out, They are still in the pack, but will be depreciated in a few patches, So if they on your bases now, might be a good idea to phase them out.
  • NOTE: Firespitter has been added as a requirement to use the Resource Swittching Feature for these tanks, and future parts, it is included in the download.

Download as always on the front page:

New Tanks:

rdh3TWk.png

Edited by rabidninjawombat

I am having problems with one of the biospheres (maybe all of them I have only experimented with these. ) There seems to be some type of limit kicking in and they are not producing like they should be and it is causing things to fall out of whack really badly.

image.png

I'm liking this mod, but I'd like to ask if it's possible to get a stock version of this mod, whereby if you toggle something in the mod, that you select a vessel to be restocked every so often. Since I've got stations I'd like to be filled over time. Especially if I could use it as a loading hub, launch crafts into LKO unmanned and then load it up there. That would be awesome.

So would you be up to maybe looking into this?

I am having problems with one of the biospheres (maybe all of them I have only experimented with these. ) There seems to be some type of limit kicking in and they are not producing like they should be and it is causing things to fall out of whack really badly.

http://s10.postimg.org/j4kq4nxc9/image.png

You'll have to give me more details that, "out of whack" :P

Regarding those Load %... You can ignore those , they arnt alimiter or anything like that. They are simply a method used in the resource converter module to figure production amounts, (in fact i should remove them in the next patch)

Each Biosphere is rated to support the max number of Civilians listed in the VAB tooltip, in the large Biosphere, 60 civilians to be exact. ( or as an easy reference, the large biosphere will support the large apartment block, the Medium the medium Etc. Civilian use approximately 1/2 the life support resources as Kerbaonauts do (since kerbonauts have a hard job!) So keep this in mind if you have lot of active kerbonauts on your station/base, You'll need to factor in their resources consumption if your using a life support mod, and possibly provide

Ive got a few plans on changing around this system to make it a bit more intuitive and interactive, but thats coming in 1.1 , ill try to get a post up detailing the plans.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm liking this mod, but I'd like to ask if it's possible to get a stock version of this mod, whereby if you toggle something in the mod, that you select a vessel to be restocked every so often. Since I've got stations I'd like to be filled over time. Especially if I could use it as a loading hub, launch crafts into LKO unmanned and then load it up there. That would be awesome.

So would you be up to maybe looking into this?

If im understanding you correctly, you looking for something that you can use to automatically resupply stations?

Something like this has already been done, check out Routine Mission Manager: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85630-1-0-4-Routine-Mission-Manager-v014

Holler if thats not what you ment :)

Regarding those Load %... You can ignore those , they arnt alimiter or anything like that. They are simply a method used in the resource converter module to figure production amounts, (in fact i should remove them in the next patch)

Each Biosphere is rated to support the max number of Civilians listed in the VAB tooltip, in the large Biosphere, 60 civilians to be exact. ( or as an easy reference, the large biosphere will support the large apartment block, the Medium the medium Etc. Civilian use approximately 1/2 the life support resources as Kerbaonauts do (since kerbonauts have a hard job!) So keep this in mind if you have lot of active kerbonauts on your station/base, You'll need to factor in their resources consumption if your using a life support mod, and possibly provide

Ive got a few plans on changing around this system to make it a bit more intuitive and interactive, but thats coming in 1.1 , ill try to get a post up detailing the plans.

- - - Updated - - -

If im understanding you correctly, you looking for something that you can use to automatically resupply stations?

Something like this has already been done, check out Routine Mission Manager: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85630-1-0-4-Routine-Mission-Manager-v014

Holler if thats not what you ment :)

I've seen that mod, but from what I've seen, I don't know how to quite use it/idk if it's working at all... But that's a Q for mod support and not here :/ .

Fixes:

• Kerbal Reproduction Bug, there should not be any lingering issues now with kerbals reproducing outside of the Kerbin SOI.

Refinements/Additions

• Cleaned up all right click menus, they should be more concise and easier to read now (this is in preparation for a New CivPoP UI in 1.1, removed all unneeded or static info that did not change.

Confirmed! My kerbals are reproducing outside of Kerbin SOI

Also, I really appreciate the right-click menu cleanup. My scrolling finger thanks you too!

I've had this mod for a couple of days and I'm loving it! This fills in a gap with KSP that I didn't know existed. I'm planning out my Duna mission and I'm trying to figure something out:

How do you guys transfer the crews to say Duna or Jool so they can start reproducing? Is there a component in this (or another) mod that can be used to ship Civilians efficiently? Within the Kerbin system, I can throw a landing pad and they'll come to the station/outpost as long as there's a surplus of food. But anywhere else, I have to figure out how to get the civilians there in the first place.

Ideally, I'd love for something like the Hitchhiker that can keep them for about a year while they're being transported. Like a giant plane or bus.

**EDIT**: I was looking around in the configs and I found the small houses should work With an attached hydroponics, it's about 15 tons with fuel. That should be doable. But I'd still love to hear how you guys are working with it.

Edited by Tralfagar
Looked into the configs a little more and found a module I had missed.

I've had this mod for a couple of days and I'm loving it! This fills in a gap with KSP that I didn't know existed. I'm planning out my Duna mission and I'm trying to figure something out:

How do you guys transfer the crews to say Duna or Jool so they can start reproducing? Is there a component in this (or another) mod that can be used to ship Civilians efficiently? Within the Kerbin system, I can throw a landing pad and they'll come to the station/outpost as long as there's a surplus of food. But anywhere else, I have to figure out how to get the civilians there in the first place.

Ideally, I'd love for something like the Hitchhiker that can keep them for about a year while they're being transported. Like a giant plane or bus.

**EDIT**: I was looking around in the configs and I found the small houses should work With an attached hydroponics, it's about 15 tons with fuel. That should be doable. But I'd still love to hear how you guys are working with it.

I do have plans for a civilian transport type craft, for those folks who wanna send just the minimal stuff out to a far flung planet, and bootstrap up all their building via EPL. Noodling over a design for it. With the big breaking changes of 1.1 it will give me an opportunity to make alot of changes ive been wanting to implement, without having to worry about breaking people's crafts :P

And as a note, do remember, you need to send out at least 20 Civilians for them to start reproducing. Otherwise they wont , (you know.. not enough variation in the gene pool and so forth)

As far as me personally, Ive generally build my large interplanetary Civilian outposts in orbit around say the Mun or Minmus, Using an Civilian Dock, i wait till they fill up via immigrations, and send them on their merry way to Duna or Eve (or where ever)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

I mean I had 4 Biospheres and 4 large apartment complexes and I was using a ton more food than they were producing for some reason. Also a ton more oxygen. (I do not roll with a life support mod yet)

Also I am really digging the multipurpose tanks, however they do not hold Oxygen or Carbon dioxide (yet).

Edited by Profit-

I mean I had 4 Biospheres and 4 large apartment complexes and I was using a ton more food than they were producing for some reason. Also a ton more oxygen.

Also I am really digging the multipurpose tanks, however they do not hold Oxygen or Carbon dioxide (yet).

Durnit... That was a complete over site ;.; They are supposed to hold all liquid-like and Gaseous consumables. I will make sure that gets in. (along with some decals for the side of the tank for each resource)

Ill have a diffrent model in the works for solid stuff (ore etc.)

Regarding the issues your having, Do you have TAC life support installed? (its suggested but not required) If you do have it installed, keep in mind your active Kerbonauts will consume life support as well (at double the rate as the Civllians, since they are alot more active , doin' EVA's and such :P) So remember you'll have to account for thier consumption as well.

So for example if you have 30 active kerbonauts(and extreme number i know, but its for an example :P) , they would need a 5th large biosphere to support them as well.

Let me know if you are using TAC or not, if not, ill investigate and see if its an issue.

Let me know if you are using TAC or not, if not, ill investigate and see if its an issue.

I do not have TAC installed, however I did investigate and I have a theory. I have a civilian contractor dock *MK2* and science, movies and flight school and maybe the extra civs that live in them make all the difference.

I am making another floating city and see if this one has an issue, and I am going to do the math and make sure 100%.

Edited by Profit-

I'm having a bit of a problem actually loading this mod once I've installed it, I can't see a similar problem here, so I'm wondering what I've done wrong.

It always seems to hang while loading "NetherdyneAerospace/CivilianManagement/Parts/Biospherebases/parkbiodomebaseroc" sorry the rest is cut off:

Kerbal%20Load%20Error.JPG?dl=1

I do have plans for a civilian transport type craft, for those folks who wanna send just the minimal stuff out to a far flung planet, and bootstrap up all their building via EPL. Noodling over a design for it. With the big breaking changes of 1.1 it will give me an opportunity to make alot of changes ive been wanting to implement, without having to worry about breaking people's crafts :P

That's great to hear! I'm looking forward to the changes you've been looking forward to.

And as a note, do remember, you need to send out at least 20 Civilians for them to start reproducing. Otherwise they wont , (you know.. not enough variation in the gene pool and so forth)

Is this true? From the first page, it mentions needing a minimum of 50. I mean the small house works great if it's only 20. I can manage 3-5 (3xpopulation, 1xwith supplies, 1xKerbals/lander ) ships coming into Duna orbit pretty easily. But 6-10 gets unwieldy really fast.

I'm having a bit of a problem actually loading this mod once I've installed it, I can't see a similar problem here, so I'm wondering what I've done wrong.

It always seems to hang while loading "NetherdyneAerospace/CivilianManagement/Parts/Biospherebases/parkbiodomebaseroc" sorry the rest is cut off:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vkpfga5szp8yvy/Kerbal%20Load%20Error.JPG?dl=1

MartinKS, can you provide a copy of your KSP.log file (found in the main folder) or the output_log (found in the KSPData Folder), when you encounter this? Im not able to reproduce it, but ill look it over to see what going on. May be an install issue on your side or a mod conflict, (which shouldnt be the case) but i need more info :)

That's great to hear! I'm looking forward to the changes you've been looking forward to.

Is this true? From the first page, it mentions needing a minimum of 50. I mean the small house works great if it's only 20. I can manage 3-5 (3xpopulation, 1xwith supplies, 1xKerbals/lander ) ships coming into Duna orbit pretty easily. But 6-10 gets unwieldy really fast.

Yup 20 is the minimum. I lowered the total needed a few patches ago. (coulda swore i updated the first page, but ill double check and fix it if not! Happy Colonizing.

Is there any chance you can make a few of the parts that will not unbalance things be compatible with tweakscale? I was thinking maybe rescalling the old tanks would make them useful again.

Also, a electrolyzer option on something that would allow you to make O2 (and lqd fuel) from water would be really handy.

just as soon as the new version is up I will finalize this and the kerbals are going out into the universe to colonize the frontier. It should carry enough parts to make landers and seed colonies. (I have a special construction ship to produce this on minnimus and launch it into space.)

image.png

Edited by Profit-

MartinKS, can you provide a copy of your KSP.log file (found in the main folder) or the output_log (found in the KSPData Folder), when you encounter this? Im not able to reproduce it, but ill look it over to see what going on. May be an install issue on your side or a mod conflict, (which shouldnt be the case) but i need more info :)

Hi rabidninjawombat my log file is on my dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypws9apuu44cgbs/KSP.log?dl=1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.