[1.0.4]Civilian Population 1.7.5.1 (Update to 1.0.5 in Progress)

Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?

• Keep IVA's (they are fun to look at!)
    • Remove IVA's but offer in an Optional Download (would take more time to implement but doable!)

This mod is such a mindscrew. What kind of measurement are civilians calculated in? Metric liters? So given that the average human has about 70 liters of volume, a kerbal standing in roughly half the size would be around 35-40 liters. So it's safe to say around 40 liters of depleted kerbonium is 1 civilian. That's all nice and dandy until you remember...

...2.4/4 civilians.

I hope you didn't need to chop up any kerbonauts to get that .4 :D

Gotta test out this version, hope me luck with the crashes!

Heh! The reason behind that is that Civilians are treated as resources. And since resources can be measured to the hundredth place you end up with half or a quarter of a civilian sometimes :P (as Cosmic said, I just think of them as baby kerbals)

Im in the midst of a whole plugin rewrite, so if i can find a way to make it only work in whole numbers (or halfsies for children ) I will

@Cosmic_Farmer --- No worries :D (Party on!) I've been under the weather the last week, and have been been a little behind where i wanted to be.

Hey there, if you look at my orbital colony or my minmus base they both have green houses from this mod, plus I have some EPL parts from this mod on the Mun in my hidden herman the hermit base that are building a huge secret base.

So yep! I sure do use this! :)

Aw shucks,:blush: thanks. I got held up a bit with the apartment complex due to IRL party/hangover issues, but almost done. I'll just run an in-game test and then submit it. I didn't have any immediate plans for animations on the medium or large hydroponics. I'll send you the blend files I have for those. When I get round to overhauling the farm, I was planning to add harvesters there, too.

I checked out Oaktree42. He seems to do some interesting and entertaining stuff. I didn't find anything with this mod in it though. I'll look again at some other time.

That super-massive colony ship looks really interesting. I really like the idea of having one of those colonies built on the inside of a rotating tube. Like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Mp0rD0cgDf0/UKOaKh2a9wI/AAAAAAAAIys/Z4nTSwlF48Y/s640/nasa+space+colony+moon.jpg

Alrightman: It would be better to have it displayed in whole kerbals, but I don't think the game engine allows it. I just think of the whole numbers being fully-grown kerbals, and decimals being kerbal children (they must exist, right?).

Hey, Rabid? Could you add a single seat to the part that lets you build things 'remotely' as with the x30 efficiency 1 kerbal would be a huge boost, or figure out a way to make a 'mech-kerbal' for it? Because right now it's pretty inefficient. :(

Also love the looks of the generational stuff! :)

Hey, Rabid? Could you add a single seat to the part that lets you build things 'remotely' as with the x30 efficiency 1 kerbal would be a huge boost, or figure out a way to make a 'mech-kerbal' for it? Because right now it's pretty inefficient. :(

Also love the looks of the generational stuff! :)

Yup :D already had plans for that in the next patch. (to compensate for the fact that EPL wont work unmanned :( )

...love the looks of the generational stuff! :)

The aesthetic style of the mod is one of the things that drew me to it. It puts me in mind of 60's sci-fi and cartoons like the Jetsons. While building on the original models, I've really tried not to stray too far from the existing style, as I think it would be a shame to lose it.

Can't wait for the next update Rabid! Any news? :D

Yup just a small delay so i could add in your requested feature regarding the construction drone, had to add a hatch to the model, (unless you wanted to pen the kerbal in their forever :P )

And on that note:

1.7.2 Update:

• Several of the Civilian Houses have received new models! (thanks for the contributions Cosmic_Farmer!)
  • Animated Harvesting Arms added to the small hydrosphere (with plans for more to the two largers ones)
  • Balancing of Civilian consumption of resources (consumption of Oxygen lowered, almost by half, Water increased, food slightly decreased. All production should hopefully be balanced to approximately half of what Kerbonauts use. (with a little extra cushion)
  • Update and Consolidation of more Textures.
  • Due to an A.I. Revolt and attempted world Domination, Human oversite has been added to the Construction Drone. (A Kerbal with wire-snips) -------(I.E. at the current time, building unmanned with EPL does not work without a forking of the EPL code and some revisions). The Construction Vehicle still will provide over 30+ productivity since it will have A.I. assistance ;)

Note: To avoid duplicate Textures (and wasted memory space) I HIGHLY Recommend deleting the old Netherdyne Aerospace Folder before installing the update. As always, back up your saves when updateing.

As usual, download on the first page, and feel free to post any issues or comments!

can u change the names so that, it feels more civilian-like? like, instead of just water, you could rename it to drinking water so its less technical, more something a standard civilian would understand. and it helps seperate it from life support mods water resources. same with food and stuff, so food becomes meals, or similar, waste into rubbish or garbage? something a civilian kerbal would use. air is a bit difficult, but im pretty sure breathing air, or civilian air even would help differentiate it. not sure about carbon dioxide. these are just some suggestions, so yeah.

can u change the names so that, it feels more civilian-like? like, instead of just water, you could rename it to drinking water so its less technical, more something a standard civilian would understand. and it helps seperate it from life support mods water resources. same with food and stuff, so food becomes meals, or similar, waste into rubbish or garbage? something a civilian kerbal would use. air is a bit difficult, but im pretty sure breathing air, or civilian air even would help differentiate it. not sure about carbon dioxide. these are just some suggestions, so yeah.

The names of the resources are part of the tac system. If he renamed them then he'd have two separate life support systems going, so unless he's going to remove Tac support I think he kinda has to keep it as is name wise?

Also, I really look forward to testing this stuff out! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Also, yay new construction drone controls! My Chiron Beta Prime base on the Mun just jumped from 68 days to 3 hours of build time when I moved the engineer from his little capsule into the drone bay! :D :D :D

The names of the resources are part of the tac system. If he renamed them then he'd have two separate life support systems going, so unless he's going to remove Tac support I think he kinda has to keep it as is name wise?

Also, I really look forward to testing this stuff out! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Also, yay new construction drone controls! My Chiron Beta Prime base on the Mun just jumped from 68 days to 3 hours of build time when I moved the engineer from his little capsule into the drone bay! :D :D :D

Chiron Beta Prime.... ROFL... nice reference Oak ;) Jonathan Coultan for the win.

And in regards to resources names. @123nick

What oak said is correct, The resource names are like that to insure interoperability with other mods that use the same ressources (I.E. TAC Life Support, MKS/OKS , etc)

is it possible for the landing gears to be tweak scaled using TweakScale? Or is there some specific restriction regarding landing gears?

Honestly ive never tried using tweakscale with landing legs, so im not sure. There is nothing special about the landing legs.. the use the Standard stock "ModuleLandingLeg" module.

So if stock legs are tweakscaleable, these should be. You would just need tweakscale config for them.

the config should look something like this

@PART[colossalLandingLeg] // Cruiser Landing Gear
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[colossalLandingLeg2] // Cruiser Landing Gear Mk2
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

That should cover both of the legs.

Honestly ive never tried using tweakscale with landing legs, so im not sure. There is nothing special about the landing legs.. the use the Standard stock "ModuleLandingLeg" module.

So if stock legs are tweakscaleable, these should be. You would just need tweakscale config for them.

the config should look something like this

That should cover both of the legs.

thanks, gonna test this MM cfg

Hey RNW, (hope you don't mind the abreviation), Any chance on getting a smaller version of the laser drill? The current one is HUGE weight wise but seems to drill the same amount of resources as the tiny augur... now I don't mind that so much but since dry weight effects build of EPL and I build on site I need smaller drills and the Augers only get metalOre while the laser drills get substrate and water too... so I like those more, just one of them is huge in rocket part cost at the moment. Also, repeating the request for a smaller reactor version. :) Be great it if was the same size as say the PDU (2.5 m I think?) Finally any chance of getting a Civilian population 'transit' pod? Something that is meant to transfer civilians as 'cargo'? Not sure what to use for that at the moment but I was thinking it would be nice to have something to take people from Kerbin to a colony in mass that didn't require me hauling up a huge apartment complex up there or waiting for them to arrive via the civ docks?

Hey RNW, (hope you don't mind the abreviation), Any chance on getting a smaller version of the laser drill? The current one is HUGE weight wise but seems to drill the same amount of resources as the tiny augur... now I don't mind that so much but since dry weight effects build of EPL and I build on site I need smaller drills and the Augers only get metalOre while the laser drills get substrate and water too... so I like those more, just one of them is huge in rocket part cost at the moment. Also, repeating the request for a smaller reactor version. :) Be great it if was the same size as say the PDU (2.5 m I think?) Finally any chance of getting a Civilian population 'transit' pod? Something that is meant to transfer civilians as 'cargo'? Not sure what to use for that at the moment but I was thinking it would be nice to have something to take people from Kerbin to a colony in mass that didn't require me hauling up a huge apartment complex up there or waiting for them to arrive via the civ docks?

Smaller reactor yes :) (I have one ready that ill put out with the hotfix for the gap in the small apartment complex we saw on your stream. )

Regarding a civilian transport pod, I could see that being a thing, going off the size of the Mk3 Passanger cabin, a transport pod for 60 civies would need to be about the size of 4 cabins. You dont want them cramped in there like sardines do you ;)

Example pictures:

ZFQLsJw.png

Considering I can transfer civies through pipes I am not sure they need as much space! :P That said, I was thinking perhaps double up so 32 instead of 16 in the same space, after all we would be flying them coach. ;) Although we could split the difference and round down to 20 per cabin? In either case I think it could be handy and all it would take is a slight re-coloring of the standard Mk3 cabin?

@OakTree42: It would be easy enough to add in a civilian version of the stock crew modules (mk2, 3, etc.), or add the capacity to the existing modules. We could certainly use something for transporting them. For now, here's a config you could use:

// Add civilian capacity to crew transport modules

@PART[mk2CrewCabin]
{
RESOURCE
{
name = CivilianPopulation
amount = 0
maxAmount = 4
}

}

@PART[mk3CrewCabin]
{
RESOURCE
{
name = CivilianPopulation
amount = 0
maxAmount = 16
}

}

Here's a sneak peek at the improved IVA for the large house:

ayoswm.jpg

Still needs some work, due to the way the game displays internal and external parts, so I'll be doing some remodelling work on the house, too.

Edit: didn't see the previous 2 posts - guess I should refresh my screen more often. :confused: Also, maybe a rocket part (size 2) that had compartments like a Japanese capsule hotel (capuseru hoteru) would be nice for a real economy approach to space transport.

Edited by Cosmic_Farmer

---snip---

Edit: didn't see the previous 2 posts - guess I should refresh my screen more often. :confused: Also, maybe a rocket part (size 2) that had compartments like a Japanese capsule hotel (capuseru hoteru) would be nice for a real economy approach to space transport.

Yea! the Capsule Hotel Concept would be neat. with a setup like this you could stack Civies high and stuff em in cargo bays :)

combine-jap-cap-2.jpg

Thats a Texture replacer things. Has many different options for Kerbal head skins

Yea, but you have to provide the head skins and I haven't seen that one which is more stock like then the ones I have found.

@Vorg: I had some trouble finding them myself, too. I've had them for a long time. They come from Green Skull Inc, as part of their KSP suits pack, and it looks like there's no real mention of them in the current Texture Replacer thread. I'll make a suggestion to have a separate texture pack for them. Here's a direct link to the KSP pack:

http://www./download/dbzqibjh6f0rdwu/KSP-Pack-v0.38.zip

Small Update!

1.7.2.1:

-- Hotfixed small apartment with new model (new model was slightly smaller than the old one, scaled up to fix, and be the same size as the old one) Thanks for the update Cosmic_Farmer!

-- Reduced mass of a couple parts (Landing legs were overweight, Large reactor just slightly, and Constrution Drone Part)

-- Lowered Productivity of the Constructor (from 30 to 15) Was way overpowered, if you like the old way your welcome to adjust the cfg ;)

--New part by request, Smaller Reactor Module, for your compact bases/ships! (thanks for the idea Oaktree42)

oRvfFFr.png

This mod is amazing. Built a huge space station within the first couple hours. Just HAD to!

I'm having trouble with recruitment though.

When I use the movieplex and recruit a specific class, it costs me inspiration but no kerbal is added to my crew or the astronaut complex. However, if I go to an apartment module and click recruit kerbal, it works right away and I have no choice of the class.

What am I doing wrong?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.