[1.0.4]Civilian Population 1.7.5.1 (Update to 1.0.5 in Progress)

Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?

• Keep IVA's (they are fun to look at!)
    • Remove IVA's but offer in an Optional Download (would take more time to implement but doable!)

I'm having trouble getting Civ. Pop to play nicely with KSPI Extended. When both are installed, Civ. Pop seems to hide all but two KSPI parts (sci lab and computer core) in the VAB/SPH despite loading KSPI parts in the asset loader. Am I doing something wrong, including missing some obvious caveat somewhere that this is to be expected? If not, if anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm having trouble getting Civ. Pop to play nicely with KSPI Extended. When both are installed, Civ. Pop seems to hide all but two KSPI parts (sci lab and computer core) in the VAB/SPH despite loading KSPI parts in the asset loader. Am I doing something wrong, including missing some obvious caveat somewhere that this is to be expected? If not, if anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

That is absolutely odd. I run both together without any issues on my install. (though i haven't updated to the latest version of KSPI though. ) Ill double check with the latest version.

A couple piece of into would help troubleshoot, If you can upload a copy of your output_log (or ksp.log) file found in the KSPData folder, that will help me see if your running into any issues. Also a screenshot of your GameData folder if at all possible (to make sure you dont have any install issues. Also im assuming your running the latest version of both mods and on 1.04 KSP right? Also is it a career game or sandbox?

EDIT: saw your post in the KSPI forum and saw you were installing via CKAN, Tested the download on CKAN, appears to be the right version its downloading.

Second Edit: Tested on a clean install installing via CKAN, both KSPI and CivPop, and everything appears just fine. So if you can provide the above info, ill check into things.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Hi All,

Starting to kolonize space and ran in to a concern. I've trained quite a few level 3 kerbals but every time I come back to a colony after a while all of them are back to level 1 with no skills. Anyone else experience this?

When they are initially recruited they show up as level 3, but seem to lose those attributes over time.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Starting to kolonize space and ran in to a concern. I've trained quite a few level 3 kerbals but every time I come back to a colony after a while all of them are back to level 1 with no skills. Anyone else experience this?

When they are initially recruited they show up as level 3, but seem to lose those attributes over time.

Thanks!

Hrm. Looking into this for ya, Some more info if ya could :) Are you recruiting from the Flightschool? University? Both?

Also in the debug log there should be some numbers that pop up after you successfully recruit a kerbal, (alt f2) will bring this up, if you can copy paste em here (or just attach a copy of your output log after you've recruited a kerbal.

EDIT: Ok i was able to reproduce it, and can isolate and fix! will upload an update ASAP

1.7.4 Update:

Fixes:

• Fixed a bug were kerbals recruited from the Flight School and University would de-level themselves.

• fixed a few hatches on existing parts that were not on strait. (minor deal)

New Parts:

• Radial landing Pad - Individual radially attached landing pad that can be placed anywhere. Also acts as a Civilian Docking Port. (for automatic Civilian immigration)

tCS6qYn.png

XL-9000 Mega Drill - Extra large drill to extract large quantities of ore, (to save part count for folks who like to spam lotsa drills to get lots of ore!) 3 Kerbal Command pod for size reference

wTs39xi.png

POWER ON!

T0gIw5H.gif

OH my god! Finally a massive drill! And a super sweet looking one!

Awesome job!

I absolutely love the new parts!
Great as always! Thanks! Love the new landing pads

Glad folks like the new stuff, if you like the new mega drill, it goes great with the large civpop landing legs if you looking to land it! (I build them with EPL, but im sure someone wants to land 'em)

ToNxa9I.gif

ive got a few parts id like to get out in the next few days. I was hoping to get the new UI built before 1.1, but it looks like 1.1 will be coming sooner than expected, so I will probably delay rolling it out till 1.1 drops since it will need a bit of a rewrite for 1.1 anyway.

For folks running UKS, ill be rolling out some additions for compatibility :) (letting the the parts utilize logistics, adding recycling etc.

For folks running EPL, I'll also be adding support for EPL's new recipe feature. Basically make its so modders can specify what a part takes to build, in addition to just rocket parts. I.E. To build a Hydrosphere, you would need say 5k rocket parts, substrate (for soils) and Organics (for the plants). Those numbers arnt anything final obviously but Looking forward to adding this feature

Lastly ill be depreciating all the life support / substrate containers that are in the pack(they look horrible :P) and im gonna replace them with some larger and much better looking ones.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all: Great Plugin! I really love it, since I've searched for some possibility to recruit engineers for my UKS bases. Using universities to bump their levels while recruiting is even better. Except: It doesn't work.

I launched a 54 civilians colony on the runway, leaving it in pre-launch state and having some of my old guys enriching uranium in the same ship, to pay for the time I can't use the runway. All works quite well, I even get rent (although you said this was stopped for Kerbin bases for obvious cheating reasons). Having some universities on the ship I wait for the inspiration and education to fill up all right. Then: Recruiting engineers. I get quite a bunch, all level 3 - leaving the ship, returning lateron: Random jobs. Around 2/3 of my previously recruited engineers are now either level 3 scientists or level 3 pilots. Darn!

Restarted the game, edited the save file to get enough education and inspiration to recruit another Kerbal, recruiting another engineer named Tamrie Kerman. Check: Engineer. Go EVA - Check: Engineer. Recover the single Kerbal (since she's on the runway), go to the Astronaut Complex: Tamrie Kerman is now available for next mission, as she's a level 3 scientist.

Since I'm coding myself (but Bash, which is of little use with KSP plugins), I digged into the problem. Kerbal traits/jobs are hardcoded to the name, probably via hash function (read http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103745-Editing-the-traits-abilities-%28pilot-scientist-engineer%29-of-the-Kerbals/page4 for details), and you seem to generate those names randomly. That's why it works at first, but isn't persistent. Maybe you can dig into Papa_Joe's code and find some ideas. Another way would maybe be to search the applicant roster to find out who's going to be what, and just remote-recruit those Kerbals to the ship in question.

Hey rabidninjawombat, I spoke to you over at /r/KSPModDevelopment where you asked me to mock up a logo/flag for this mod. I came up with this design, let me know what you think and if you need changes or want the them in an other file format (.DDS) or an other size. http://imgur.com/a/Vf5kC

Edited by RGBPeter
BB code is hard

First of all: Great Plugin! I really love it, since I've searched for some possibility to recruit engineers for my UKS bases. Using universities to bump their levels while recruiting is even better. Except: It doesn't work.

I launched a 54 civilians colony on the runway, leaving it in pre-launch state and having some of my old guys enriching uranium in the same ship, to pay for the time I can't use the runway. All works quite well, I even get rent (although you said this was stopped for Kerbin bases for obvious cheating reasons). Having some universities on the ship I wait for the inspiration and education to fill up all right. Then: Recruiting engineers. I get quite a bunch, all level 3 - leaving the ship, returning lateron: Random jobs. Around 2/3 of my previously recruited engineers are now either level 3 scientists or level 3 pilots. Darn!

Restarted the game, edited the save file to get enough education and inspiration to recruit another Kerbal, recruiting another engineer named Tamrie Kerman. Check: Engineer. Go EVA - Check: Engineer. Recover the single Kerbal (since she's on the runway), go to the Astronaut Complex: Tamrie Kerman is now available for next mission, as she's a level 3 scientist.

Since I'm coding myself (but Bash, which is of little use with KSP plugins), I digged into the problem. Kerbal traits/jobs are hardcoded to the name, probably via hash function (read http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103745-Editing-the-traits-abilities-%28pilot-scientist-engineer%29-of-the-Kerbals/page4 for details), and you seem to generate those names randomly. That's why it works at first, but isn't persistent. Maybe you can dig into Papa_Joe's code and find some ideas. Another way would maybe be to search the applicant roster to find out who's going to be what, and just remote-recruit those Kerbals to the ship in question.

Ill dig into it... have not experienced this issue, myself, (But then again I rarely recover kerbals who have been recruited) once I have they out their, they usually stay out there :P So may have been why i have not seen this issue pop up myself. Do me a favor and insure you are on the latest version. Will resolve for ya!

Hey rabidninjawombat, I spoke to you over at /r/KSPModDevelopment where you asked me to mock up a logo/flag for this mod. I came up with this design, let me know what you think and if you need changes or want the them in an other file format (.DDS) or an other size. http://imgur.com/a/Vf5kC

Awesome logo sir, check out the front page and its already there!

Hey there everyone, I have a couple silly questions:

I currently have a manufactuing base on Minmus. I can produce rocket parts, substrate, water, and fuels...

A) Will the recruitment parts work ON minmus, or does it have to be in orbit

B) If I use a survey steak, how do I get the needed supplies to the build site?

C) If I design a very large colony (say 100+ civilians support in size) - can I put down 1 stake for it, or would I have to try to guess the borders of it with 4 stakes?

CA) What if I make a box too small for what I ordered?

A: Recruitment Parts will work on Minmus, All the LandingPads/Docks work in the Kerbin SOI, (Kerbin, Mun, Minmus) Landed or in orbit. Though Minmus being the farthest out is the slowest for Civilians to immigrate too (roughly 1/20th the speed as they come in Low Kerbin Orbit)

B: If using a Survey stake You will build the colony on site via EPL. As you probably know EPL doesnt build the resources as well. The way i do it is to attach (with a KAS/KIS Pipe) and you can transfer resources this way. Sounds like you have a good spot to build a civilian outpost on (with water and substrate)

C: You can indeed just use one stake regardless of the size of the build. EPL will attempt to place it with the bottom/center of mass, right above the stake. You can use more stakes if you want to place the building in a specific orientation/height etc.(right click the stakes and you'll see----more detailed info on how to use stakes on the EPL thread. ) REMEMBER: Always F5 before finalizing a build, in case it isnt placed right! :)

CA: See C.

Feel free to holler any more questions you may have.

----snip----

Just uploaded a hotfix! Issue should be corrected, Tested with 10 of each job, and recovered as well as unfocused and came back, and all kerbals appear to be not changing careers. Please feel free to download the update and let me know if your issues are resolved.

UPDATE: 1.7.4.1 Hotfix!

• Some recruited civilians appear to have been having mid life crises, and appear to have been changing jobs. Issue has been resolved with this hotfix. Update on the first page as usual.

Seems that way. All my fresh recruits are now engineers and stick to that profession. You rock! :cool:

Awesome glad everything works as intended! As i posted a page or two back,I still got much larger update in the works, hopefully later on this week. But i wanted to throw that hotfix out their ASAP

Note: If anyone is running into issues, and has downloaded the mod via CKAN please update the and install the mod manually.

Just found out that CKAN for some unknown reason has decided that 1.7 is the latest version (despite it being 3 months old) Have a github issue logged with the CKAN folks to get it resolved.

In the meantime, you can always install the latest version manually via Kerbalstuff.

Hi! I've been building some Duna bases using your parts, and people have been really enjoying them, so I figured I'd show them off here as well :P

I have a lot of mods installed, but the Civilian buildings really end up taking center-stage. They look way nicer than anything I could come up with, plus they make my bases actually look like bases! :D

Duna City

QJEcsKC.jpg

New Kerbin City

Lvt3AzV.jpg

Unnamed City(very much open to name suggestions :D )

mcMtIUW.jpg:)

As far as the IVA's go, PLEASE KEEP THEM! THEY'RE AWESOME!

Glad your enjoying them! :)

Also glad to see someone using the Empty Habdomes, ive been kinda wondering how much use they get. Ive also been meaning to revamp em, pretty them up a little bit as well as add more options ( They are really cheap to implement memory wise)

As far as IVA's go , they are staying. Thats been settled for a while, just haven't got around to pageing a mod to get rid of the pole (wont let you do it yourself apparently :P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.