[1.8-1.9] Survey Transponder 0.6.0

taniwha

This is a small mod for keeping track of your air-drop packages until they hit the ground. Very good for those surface survey contracts in awkward locations.

It features two parts: the survey transponder itself (science), and a 0.625m inline storage (ie, cargo bay/service module) (utilities).

The transponder automatically sets itself as target 2.2 seconds after it has been staged (2s before deploying its arms, then 0.2s for the arms to fully deploy before it starts "transmitting"). The arms prevent the dropped package from rolling down moderate slopes. Once deployed, a status window will appear giving the status (situation, altitude, velocity) of all transponders within range.

Currently, the transponder is an otherwise standard probe core, but without any electrical storage of its own. This is to allow science experiments to be run.

Download: Survey Transponder 0.6.0

Source: github

License: GPL v3

Changes:

The transponder with its arms deployed (inline storage just "behind" it):

st-transponder_deployed.jpg

Inside the inline storge, with undeployed transponder:

st-inline_storage.jpg

All non-moving surfaces accept surface attachments, and there are two internal stack nodes (one on either end).

Video demonstrating the auto-target and status window (dev version). First 5:20 is pre-flight checks :wink:

It also demonstrates how not to fly while in chase cam mode with a target set :P

Edited by taniwha

This is a small mod for keeping track of your air-drop packages until they hit the ground.

Uh forgive me, but I don't understand the purpose of this? Does this mod somehow prevent the dropped bits from unloading if you get too far away? or is it just a container to put science in, then drop it? Sorry, I'm just not clear on what's going on here?

Vardicd, this is one of those mods you didn't know you needed until you start using it. :) Then, you can't run away from it.

It's more like a container to put science (or other stuff!) in and drop it somewhere. As the OP said, it's great for survey contracts. You don't need to land a vessel at the contract location. Instead, just drop the science there!

Now, to those target practices...

Vardicd, this is one of those mods you didn't know you needed until you start using it. :) Then, you can't run away from it.

It's more like a container to put science (or other stuff!) in and drop it somewhere. As the OP said, it's great for survey contracts. You don't need to land a vessel at the contract location. Instead, just drop the science there!

Ah, I see, much more elegant than my solution, the Dodo:

1N9ZKk8.jpg

An air dropped science rover. And yeah I know I popped the wheels on take off in this pic. this was early testing.

Hey, sorry for the offtopic, but which mod adds these data in near the navball, such at current match speed etc.?

Toyotawolf: impact rating is not great: be sure to include a parachute. While no kerbals have been harmed by these parts while testing (some have been harmed by my flying), the kerbals in various KSC buildings have wondered what was going on while I was doing target practice.

- - - Updated - - -

I've added a link to a video I made while testing Open Broadcaster that doubles as a nice demo of the transponder.

Taniwha, could I request a staging function at the Action Groups, for the probe?

I also noticed lots of other action group, movement functions there, and I'd like to know if they're really necessary, since the probe doesn't even have reaction wheels.

Thanks. :)

I recommend Smart Parts for that...yesterday my parachute staging failed and i plunged holes in the planet...tiny, about 0.625m holes...^^ Anyway, really nice idea, i like it :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh almost forgot: is it possible to have the cargo bay with integrated decoupler? That'll be epic to save sth. on my part count :)

Kowgan: that is actually in my plans: I prefer the idea of a generic "stage: fire action groups". Also, I want to make it so the transponder lets you use right-click menus but not control anything else (ie, throttle, pyr, staging etc).

Tyren: integrated decoupler... hmm, not sure if that's going too far.

hmm k. At least for know i use tweakscale to put some small decouplers between it. But great mod anyway: I didnt know i need it until i tested it :D

Edited by Tyren
typos grmpf

run1235: use a heat shield :) A 1.25m heatshield, the 1.25m-0.625m adapter and the transponder should go nicely.

i know, but with the fact that the transpoder doesnt allow for control i wouldnt be able to guide it in unless i added a probe core. Plus it's just an idea to add more to the mod.

• 2 months later...

Great idea! I'm having some issues, though:

1. the inline storage does not show its textures;

2. the transponder keeps exploding due to overheat on launchpad (sandbox game, lots of mods but not heat one).

About the textures, I believe it's due to its part.cfg:

mesh = Transponder.mu

while the .mu file is named "InlineStorage.mu"...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.