[1.8-1.9] Survey Transponder 0.6.0

taniwha

Hmm, I just ran a test flight using the plane in the video (drops the packages shown in the screenshots) and I do not get any overheating. I might need your .craft file.

I narrowed it down to the battery (I've tried the Z-100 and the Z-200), they are exploding due to overheating...

Here is the .craft file: http://www.filedropper.com/testcraft

BTW, I've changed the name of the mesh in the part file and the inline storage still doesn't show its textures...

The inline storage texture is actually very stuble. I went for white on the outside, and some sort of greenish yellow on the inside, with some normal mapping to give the outside a very subtle effect.

Ah, yeah, the 0.625m inline battery gave me a lot of trouble, so I upped its thermal mass multiplier.

• 2 months later...

I've release version 0.2.0 of Survey Transponder.

Changes from 0.1.0:

• Transponder name can be set (VAB/SPH or in flight, including EVA). It will set the vessel name when staged.
  • Fix a misnamed mesh. (thanks to jlcarneiro)
  • Fix an NRE (I don't remember the details :/)
  • Move the transponder into basic science.
  • Add a button to the display panel for transponder targeting. White is not targeted, purple is targeted. Clicking the button does the expected.

Thanks to TriggerAu (Kerbal Alarm Clock) for showing how to put images onto buttons.

Edited by taniwha

And hot on the heals of 0.2.0 comes 0.2.1. However, no brown paper bags this time :)

Changes from 0.2.0:

• Get rid of a displayed NaN. Now displays "no signal" instead.
  • Allow the transponder to be turned off (eva or the dropped package (if it has EC)). WARNING: once you turn it off, that's it, it's dead.
  • Ensure transponder vessel renames are reflected in the ui.
  • Fix a bit of C&P programming. Rename "launchpad"?
  • Fix input lock handling when closing the rename window.
  • Allow water for many surface contracts.

[quote name='taniwha'][B]jlcarneiro[/B]: It is plain white on the outside, just a bit of subtle normal mapping. The inside should be a pale yellow-green.[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't mean plain white as in "just white". I meant as in "no-texture white":

[SPOILER=Screenshot in the VAB][img]http://i.imgur.com/7Zet5SA.png[/img][/SPOILER]

If that is correct, it is quite different form the pictures on the opening post, isn't it? Edited by jlcarneiro
Addendum

It is quite correct (notice the interior is that greenish-yellow). The shots I put up show the inline storage out in the world under "natural" (hah!) lighting (shadows etc), while you are looking at it in the very brightly light VAB. While the doors do have their own textures, the entirety of the main body is covered with one texture, so if there was a problem, then the interior would not be that green-yellow.

The bottom of the interior is white due to the bright lights of the VAB.

Also, if you watch the icon in the part selector, you can see the subtle texturing from the normal maps as the part turns.

Ahhh, so it's for Science bombs! I remember when I used to use those xD
Good luck with this! If I may, I recommend doing away with the built-in anti-tip arms as they could lead to some ugly clipping, and perhaps adding a small anti-tip lever as a surface attach part instead.

I have not had any trouble with clipping. They do not deploy until two seconds after staging (if your "bomb" isn't clear after two seconds, you probably have bigger things to worry about).

That said, I [i]have[/i] found that the arms are too short for larger packages (eg, KIS containers[SUP]*[/SUP]), so an armless transponder with separate arms may be a good option.

[SUP]*[/SUP] I dropped fuel supples, and later extra engine pods, to my kerbin science rover (jet propelled, initially two junos, later 5 (1 KIS container can hold 1 each of small circular intake, mk0 tank, juno, or two mk0 tanks)).

[quote name='taniwha']It is quite correct (notice the interior is that greenish-yellow). The shots I put up show the inline storage out in the world under "natural" (hah!) lighting (shadows etc), while you are looking at it in the very brightly light VAB. While the doors do have their own textures, the entirety of the main body is covered with one texture, so if there was a problem, then the interior would not be that green-yellow.

The bottom of the interior is white due to the bright lights of the VAB.

Also, if you watch the icon in the part selector, you can see the subtle texturing from the normal maps as the part turns.[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok then! :)

I confess I didn't take it out of the VAB, when I saw the colors, I thought there was something wrong. I expected its colors to be something like the [URL="http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mk1_Liquid_Fuel_Fuselage"]Mk1 Liquid Fuel Fuselage[/URL]...

I've borrowed [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116052-0-90-Mk1-Cargo-Bay?p=1957046#post1957046"]a texture from Mk1 Cargo Bay[/URL] and got this result:

[SPOILER=Screenshot][img]http://i.imgur.com/YBi2Wfn.png[/img][/SPOILER]

[URL="http://www.filedropper.com/texturesuggestion"]Here are the files[/URL].

I think if it looked like Mk0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage, it would be ideal (its texture even looks like having doors!).

Unfortunately, I'm very bad at texturizing! For example, I tried for some hours but could not understand how your texture works: there's a vertical lighter line that I could not get rid of... :( Edited by jlcarneiro
Added link to the files

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rumpelhonk said:

Hi,

I really like the idea of this mod.

Do you plan to make it CKAN compatible?

Otherwise I would install i right away. I am a bit concerned that manual adding mods + CKAN could break my safegame.

Thanks for making this mod :)

There is nothing wrong with manually installing mod while using ckan. I have several that aren't on ckan and it hasn't caused any problems yet. 

18 hours ago, taniwha said:

There's nothing stopping ST from being CKAN compatible, all that's necessary is for someone (maybe you?) to submit the relevant data to CKAN.

I looked into that CKAN submitting thing. But that is really over my head.

18 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

There is nothing wrong with manually installing mod while using ckan. I have several that aren't on ckan and it hasn't caused any problems yet. 

Thanks for the info. I will try it that way.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.