Fallout 4 Official

Dodgey

Good god, are they still using the same horrible engine? It really looks like it, just with higher resolution and cleaner textures (which admittedly is nice, I seriously hate the super grungey look of skyrim).

I'm somewhat disappointed to discover that I am not excited to see this.

Granted, I'm just making an assumption based on the trailer, but it doesn't look like the formula has changed. Vault Dweller does something epic. Slightly prettier than Fallout 3.

I like that Beth actually upped the bar on the graphics (presuming we'll get all that in the end product), but I'll have to wait to see some gameplay (and what features they've decided to "streamline") before I can decide if I'm going to be hyped.

Good god, are they still using the same horrible engine? It really looks like it, just with higher resolution and cleaner textures (which admittedly is nice, I seriously hate the super grungey look of skyrim).

I don't get comments like this. They dumped a large amount of money in gamebyo and while patching in more low-level enhancements rather than rewriting to use the latest features would be preferable, we are not actually doing anything INTERESTING with graphics these days. It's just "Bigger Textures" and "Moar Pixel Shaders"... sometimes using "flat textures" or "outlining" rather than investing a single man-hour into actually doing cell-shading (even then, the effect is only used for certain scenes).

Wake me up when we do something as simple as finally stop merging clothing meshes with npc models and apply physical weights and attributes to the clothing model, thus allowing it to not only move realistically instead of being obviously glued to the torso but also be applied damage to realistically; and if we want to further this we'd have areas upon which there are damage be treated as unarmored... well, instead of hyping the upteenth rebirth of VR.

I like that Beth actually upped the bar on the graphics (presuming we'll get all that in the end product)' date=' but I'll have to wait to see some gameplay (and what features they've decided to "streamline") before I can decide if I'm going to be hyped.[/quote']

We decided that most people who play our games are illiterate, as they clearly are unable to RTFM and always go on the boards saying things like "How can I, a normal human with no superhuman abilities, not be a master of every weapon in the game? It was point blank range!" Thus we're removing the last remnants of the RPG and just releasing a pure FPS with arbitrary quests that have no relevance to the underlying story while each still trying to act as if it is a major life-or-death situation that you can leave and return months later to finish... even mid quest.

In fact, we've decided even the travel system needs an overhaul. Our examinations of gameplay revealed that 90% of the time, the player is still doing the tedious task of walking to some location. That players need to spend even 5 min walking to a location is unconscionable. Now you can instantly teleport to any location at any time even when in the middle of an enemy death camp, while fighting, and encumbered in loot... because we love you.

We also decided it makes no sense that the player has to "discover" locations that the people of the wastes obviously know exists before fast traveling to them; that's why instead of adding in maps or other neat ways of adding lots of locations while keeping some secret, we're revealing EVERY location at once! You can also fast travel to them without needing to visit them; after all, who wants to play walking simulator 2015?

We even replaced those huge cities with NPCs that have random lines but no real level of interaction with a pop-up shop. We know the only reason you go to town is to sell and buy, why bother improving your interactions with NPCs and making your actions open up multiple lines of dialog as an evolution of the classic rpg would expect? We still allow you to enter the "city" only so you can shoot everyone, of course, we know that people enjoy that activity very much for some strange reason... but it really is just a testing room with spawns of your choice.

Bethesda, abandoning our loyal fanbase one game at a time.

Good god, are they still using the same horrible engine?

They never were. Each iteration is an adapted version of the previous one. Even New Vegas was not the same as Fallout 3. Why bother writing the same stuff again if you are going to encounter the same problems again?

I like the slightly bent style of humor, and that trailer evokes their style, awesomely. Visual jokes in every frame. But, I never played Fallout 3. Something about its attitude of gratuitous violence put me off. I've played all kinds of shooters and done plenty of virtual violence, but the bar just keeps going up. I saw a behind the scenes Fallout 3 trailer, where the developers were showing off the nailgun. "Look - you can actually nail a guy's head to the wall!!" (implying "ain't that the greatest thing!") No thanks.

gratuitous violence

To be fair, Fallout is not very much about violence. Though certainly present, it never seems to be the sole purpose. Fallout is a RPG first and foremost.

I always liked to upgrade my speech abilities, so I could simply talk my way into and out of things.

To be fair, Interplay's Fallout is not very much about violence. Though certainly present, it never seems to be the sole purpose. Interplay's Fallout is a RPG first and foremost.

I always liked to upgrade my speech abilities, so I could simply talk my way into and out of things.

Fixed.

Really, it's quite fun to play as an exceptionally lucky idiot (well, unless you just break character to explore the content) in Fallout 2. Naturally you cannot speak intelligently due to low intellect, but Interplay even went so far as to recreate the game to adapt to the gameplay, complete with new spoken dialog, new dialog trees, and new cutscenes.

Of course, Fallout really was about shoving some of the most violent deaths imaginable at you, it was all about that dark humour... especially since you and your companions were no different and later on, they'd be the ones dying in horrible ways due to inopportune crits.

I don't like the graphics though, they look... dated. At least when compared to top of the line competitor RPGs such as DA:I and the Witcher 3. Let alone the Division (hyped though it may be) which is also set in some post-apocalyptic world.

Especially the textures leave a lot to be desired. I would have expected more, to be honest.

I don't like the graphics though, they look... dated.

The TES series and Fallout have never been about cutting edge graphics. If that is what you are looking for, you would better look elsewhere ;)

Wow a lotta hate here. Can't wait to buy all of your games when they come out, they're gonna look and play amazing I bet.

I really enjoyed both Fallout 3 and New Vegas through multiple playthroughs. I still have "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" on my MP3 player (hint: Even though it sounds like it was written for the game and is so stupidly cheesy that it couldn't possibly be a real song, it actually is and is in the public domain) and get a smile every time it comes on.

This and Just Cause 3 have me excited for new games again, something I haven't been in a few years. I think the last new game I was actually excited for was Saint's Row IV. It's surely the last one I bought on release day.

The TES series and Fallout have never been about cutting edge graphics. If that is what you are looking for, you would better look elsewhere ;)

To be frank though, Skyrim looked amazing when it was first shown in gameplay trailers and it felt like a super major step-up from Oblivion. Fallout 4 looks more like a modded Skyrim with some better textures and lighting.

No doubt I foresee graphics mods for Fallout 4 (which would improve its appearance significantly, maybe), but I think it's unfortunate that the need for console playability hampers the graphics development so badly.

To be frank though, Skyrim looked amazing when it was first shown in gameplay trailers

I can only speak for myself, but I certainly did not feel different about Skyrim. I felt mildly disappointed back then, now I kind of expected things not to improve too much. The games never looked bad for their time, but never looked amazing either. Despite emerging from the Vault the first time being an amazing experience ;)

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the graphics and is excited to finally see a blue sky?

Nah. I'm looking forward to the inevitable expansion of the lore.

Although Goodbye Blue Sky was a great song.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.