[WIP] KSP mobile editor

Roborowan

Kerbal Space Program mobile editor

This is a project by: polski-katus, Roborowan, amankd, nestor_d, Noobie, Faile (And many more)

Massive shoutout to our main coder rafty4 as he has basicly done all the scripting and coding work all by himself

This project aims to make a simple app that you can use on a mobile device to play KSP on the go!

Planned features:

• Simple VAB editor
  • Sending saved ships to user - through e-mail
  • Gradually more in the future

Help would be greatly appreciated as we need people with unity/coding knowledge as well as people who can 3d model.

If you don't have these skills then i'm sure we can find a job for you as we would like all the help we can get.

Edited by Roborowan

ther ewill be a display of what we wish to do hopefully y the end of the month, a proof of concept for the parts in the demo in the next 6 months or so and a release within a year i hope,

- - - Updated - - -

I think the first thing to do is optimise a lot of the models. Maybe even make low-poly proxies. A few parts may be fine on most modern phones, but when you start getting into 50-60 you're gonna notice slowdown.

we are infact creating our own low polly textures and models, as it writes to .craft as long as the size is rightthen it can be any looks

ther ewill be a display of what we wish to do hopefully y the end of the month, a proof of concept for the parts in the demo in the next 6 months or so and a release within a year i hope,

- - - Updated - - -

we are infact creating our own low polly textures and models, as it writes to .craft as long as the size is rightthen it can be any looks

Thats what I like to hear. Using simple 8-sided cylinders with 128x128 textures would suffice, as long as the parts are recognisable it shouldnt pose a problem.

I know how to convert all the parts in ksp into 3d models (blender) and do texture, simple unity import (.mu convertion) and of course 3d modeling, if you want help pm me

Also I will only be able to start working from the 19th of June due to exams

Help would be greatly appreciated as we need people with...as well as people who can 3d model.

*Starts waving like crazy with his hand* Jup, I could definetely help there. I do make mods for KSP, and can therefore model in blender, texture in paint.net or GIMP2 and know how to set up and export parts in Unity. That job sounds quite easy, so if you are interested, leave a PM! ;)

I always wanted to have something like this, designing a spacecraft on your mobile while you are at school or at work!:P

I wish you folks the best of luck, this sounds like a really cool project and I'd love to see it in action!

For the software development side, I can only confidently recommend Unity. It's extremely powerful and would enable building the app for both Android and iOS. Heck, you could even develop web-based and Windows Phone versions (provided your software person has Windows 8 or 10 once it releases). Given my familiarity with it I would consider offering up my support if I wasn't tied down by other projects. You should try to find someone with programming experience, especially in Unity, to make the app development as painless as possible.

Edit: looks like you guys are already thinking about Unity, I should have read the OP a little better. :P

To elaborate: We will be starting with a 2D editor (multi-view), and mainly focusing on exporters and importers for .craft and .cfg files. Once we have that all sorted, we may (depending on how well a 3D editor GUI works on mobile) develop it for 3D. For the moment, however, the 'guts' are our priority :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.