The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

I suppose I should swing by and claim my k-prize.

EEtestorbit1_zps46dacd83.jpg

EEtestorbit2_zpsc52fec87.jpg

http://wikisend.com/download/448306/EVE%20express.craft

This little vehicle comes equipped with a pressurized capsule for 1 crew member and a clamp-o-tron jr. for docking and refueling. It does SSTO easily from Kerbin, and my goal is to make it SSTO from Eve as well.

It weighs 2.2 tons, has enough DV to fly direct to any other body with an atmosphere, and can dock in orbit or land on the runway.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Hi, i'd like to to submit one more entry :o]

Astro-Cruiser again...

Craft file

To Moho and back with landing on SSTO

I made it :cool:, after several unlucky tries, Jeb made round-trip to Moho on space plane "Arctic tern"

Brief stats:

Start mass/dry mass - 31.22 t / 9.36 t

Details - 107

Crew - 1 brave kerbonaut

Engines: 2 turbojets (4 intakes per engine) + 1 atomic engine

dV on LKO - 8700+ m/s

http://i.imgur.com/6UFgL59.jpg

(for details, click on picture)

Dang...! . _ . no one can compete with you can they...

Moho was my next target, but i still haven't figured out a good Eve fly-by maneuver x-D

didn't think about getting captured. Very clever.

Here's my submission! Spaceplane took off from the runway, achieved a 133km x 133km orbit, then came back around and landed on the runway. Engineer/MechJeb used only for informational displays. All parts are stock, as are the aerodynamics. Other mods were visual-only.

Parts: 77

Mass: 18.4 tons (before launch, rounded to tenths)

Cost: 61506

LJodyTv.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by NecroBones

So Kando, I like the look of your technicolor ship collection, unless I am mistaken the album doesn't seem to show a complete mission and you have not stated that you did. So your word is good and I just need to know if you claim the K-Prize, i.e. have you taken off, made orbit and landed safely?

Congratulations and thanks also to NecroBones, Overfloater and Mesklin for your K-Prize mission reports. Logged and linked.

WafflesToo you are right that is definitely a gatecrasher! The robotic look worked though.

GoSlash27, did that land safely? (second screen has a preflight timecode FYI)

It'snorocketscience, your enthusiasm is welcome and I won't take offence if you want to create a related challenge building on the K-Prize theme :) also I am happy to be consulted by PM and discuss ideas for such with anyone who wants to do that, though if you want to use the badge art you will have to talk to WafflesToo, who kindly made and donated the K-Prize badges. HF

Edited by boolybooly

Are you trying to tell us something djnekkid? Would you like to publish a gatecrasher?

Thanks for your mission report RocketScientistV and congratulations for completing another K-Prize winning mission, with a safe landing at the KSC runway earning the highly regarded Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Manley... a touching tribute to the enthusiastic Scott?

Hi all

Way back in 0.21 I entered the Spider Mk v

Here is the Spider Mk XVI

Spaceplane:- Spider Mk XVI

Cost:- wet 218688 Dry 214494

Weight Wet 71092 KG Dry 29062 KG

Has 6000 Dv if full of fuel in orbit

Parts 309 including the Rover, Can fly by itself without rover as it has a probe core

I Also run a modified science version

All Stock no mods or part clipping

Edited by Gravaar
Typo

is "space planes plus" conciderd stock now? :P
Are you trying to tell us something djnekkid? Would you like to publish a gatecrasher?

Not sure if boolybooly knows about it, But the mod Space planes plus is being made stock with ksp! It was announced Tuesday i think it was. I think djnekkid was asking if we are allowed to use those parts from the mod as if they are stock or will we have to wait for that update to come out with the sp+ parts in the stock install...

Look I just "found" it painted like this and me and the others took it out for a spin

Yes ...yes ...I know now we hafta get the other 9 back from orbit but I told em if they wasn't back by the time the sat was deployed I wasn't waiting for em

And anyway watta ya mean it aint stock? I found it like that !!!

STATS:- Mod Spaceplane +

10 Kerbals to orbit (pilot + 9 others)

cargobay with sat loaded

4 turbojets and 2 aerospikes

Edited by Gravaar

• 2 weeks later...

I usually play with FAR, but since I've been testing stuff and doing a few challenges in stock aero lately I figured I should get my K Prize while I was at it.

The Kolibri: 6.5t, capacity: 1 kerb; One turbojet, two intakes; two Rockomax 78-7S. LF:381 Ox:283 plus the 7.5 monoprop built into the cockpit for docking manoeuvres.

screenshot0.png

Today, we'll be flying with a small ion-powered science probe and ... a couple of chairs? you know what's coming, right? :)

screenshot1.png screenshot2.png

Launch preparations; Jeb with the preflight checks. Payload works out to 580kg.

screenshot3.png screenshot4.png screenshot5.png

Horizontal takeoff, zoom climb, then level out to a more moderate climb in the mid- and upper-atmosphere. Rockets on at 21km, turbojets off crossing 31km or so.

screenshot6.png screenshot7.png screenshot8.png screenshot9.png screenshot10.png screenshot11.png

Coast to apoapsis.

screenshot12.png

Circularization to approx 70.5km circular orbit.

screenshot13.png screenshot15.png screenshot16.png

Payload deployment. The drone should be capable of taking care of itself from here on out.

screenshot17.png screenshot18.png

Here, have a couple of random pretty pictures

screenshot19.png screenshot21.png

Next stop, Unity Station.

Disclaimer: This being a fresh stock save, I cheathaxed the station into orbit beforehand.

screenshot22.png screenshot.png

Matching inclination, because the SSTO launch was just slightly off.

screenshot23.png screenshot24.png screenshot25.png

Waiting to catch up to the station from below, then burning towards its altitude, aiming for approx 1km separation or so when we begin the final approach.

screenshot26.png screenshot27.png screenshot28.png screenshot29.png screenshot30.png

Approaching the station.

Note to self: pack an OX-STAT next time, reduce concerns about reaction wheel power consumption.

screenshot31.png screenshot32.png screenshot33.png

Stationkeeping about 50m away. Docking port deployed in preparation.

screenshot34a.png screenshot35.png

Docking manoeuvres. On hindsight, the arrangement of RCS blocks at the front only is a bit inconvenient...

screenshot36a.png screenshot37a.png screenshot38.png screenshot39a.png

We're here.

screenshot40.png screenshot41.png

Why are we here? To pick up Bill and Bob, of course.

screenshot42.png screenshot43.png screenshot44.png

All set for departure.

screenshot46.png

Boy are Bill and Bob happy to be going home.

screenshot47.png screenshot48.png

Unity station slips ahead under us as we burn retrograde to slow down and drop behind it.

screenshot49.png screenshot50.png

Entering the atmosphere. The boys seem to be enjoying the ride...

screenshot52.png screenshot53.png

... a little too much, perhaps.

screenshot54.png screenshot55.png

Lose a bunch of altitude and turn back toward KSC.

screenshot56.png

Now you're complaining? I don't get you, Bob.

screenshot57.png screenshot58.png

Let's get this baby back on the ground.

screenshot59.png screenshot60.png screenshot61.png screenshot62.png screenshot63.png

Some post flight fuel / craft stats...

screenshot64.png screenshot65.png

Obligatory photo op.

screenshot66.png

tl;dr: to 70.5km orbit with small probe payload, docking with station at 80km, return to landing on runway 27.

Edited by cakepie

Sorry Samniss Arandeen... FAR is currently treated as non stock so it doesn't qualify for a K-Prize.

Congrats cake>pie on your Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class.

Fengist did the middle craft make it to orbit without using the thrusters or fuel on the "payload" craft?

Gravaar did you want a gatecrasher link for your second? With a successful K-Prize mission you have the right to choose to have the gatecrasher removed or linked.

Fengist did the middle craft make it to orbit without using the thrusters or fuel on the "payload" craft?

Well, you see, the fuel and thrusters WAS the ummm payload and I had to make sure they worked properly. I mean I wouldn't want to detach those two guys and have them try to fly home with engines that don't work. That would be ummm silly.

But hey, they were all one plane when they went up, they just came down at different times.

Gravaar did you want a gatecrasher link for your second? With a successful K-Prize mission you have the right to choose to have the gatecrasher removed or linked.

Yep Gatecrasher for the second

And The entry was Spider Mk. 16

the Spider Mk. 5 was entered way back in 0.21 :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.