The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Hi guys, here's my 0.25 submission. Incidentally, is this the oldest still-running challenge for the KSP forums? It's been running since 0.16!

I was feeling a bit cheeky, so while it technically meets all the K-Prize guidelines (Horizontal from runway, no staging, no refuelling, landed safely, stock parts) i can understand if this is a gatecrasher of some kind :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by kahlzun

Figured I'd take the challenge even though it's died down a bit at the moment. Considering the current runtime of this challenge I'm guessing this isn't the first time that happened.

So here's the KSE MK2 (Kerbin Space Elevator) lifting a tiny Research and Comms sattelite and returning to KSC afterwards. Had to do it twice because the first time I messed up on the runway, landing was smooth as a feather, but the balance twisted it a little and the left rear wing touched the runway breaking off. Luckily it doesn't take quite as long as the timer suggests.

boolybooly; You know my previous entry landed on the runway?

New entry with the first successful test of the mk2 hummingbird.

n05RUqJ.png

Building up a surprising amount of velocity before the rockets kick in.

PJr2xhZ.png

At 200k(ish)

UItmUAA.png

Re-entering.

mboWmR0.png

Coming in.

O0exHjp.png

Sun, Y U DO THIS?

rEHuN1Z.png

Too much orbit slowing.

j46il1F.png

Braking.

BbJIxLe.png

Settled down in front of the SPH.

tPSE33f.png

Things learned.

1- I could have a lower LF/O ratio.

2- Activate the rockets later.

3- Don't need that much torque.

Made a new SSTO that could bring 6-8 tons to the surface of Laythe

It might take around 12 minutes of atmospheric time to reach orbital velocities, but after that, it is just pure fun. Don't worry, I'll make more than just this one

http://download849./a7r9tx380rug/p21or00v1hjnx3n/LC+Cruiser+II+_Ethos_.craft

Hi gm537, congratulations on completing the K-Prize challenge successfully with your SSTO VTOL, since the craft did take off horizontally even if the pilot did drop in at the admin helipad restaurant for a coffee on the way up! The K-Prize panel concluded that while this shows advanced pilot precision, landing twice in the same mission only counts if it is on different planet to the one it took off from and coffee is, in any case, its own reward! (The APPA 1st class requires orbital docking as well, but you do get a VTOL mention in brackets in the guest list / roll of honour, I hope that will suffice though it is a bit redundant since the name you gave includes VTOL anyway).

Haha! Coffee is indeed its own reward. Thanks for adding me. Once 0.90 comes out I may try again for some additional commendations. ;)

Hi All :)

For fun, a new Full stock, easy to fly, Tiny SSTO (less than 7Tons), with a bonus 40Kg Payload Christmas Tree for Minmus xD

"Minmus Pocket SSTO MVTOL Stock.craft"

(To use Rockets when Jet Engine out, select docking port control and press key 1)

(After Kerbin De-Orbit Burn, don't forget to select cockpit to control the flight/kiss landing as usual :) )

Fly safe with Jeb ! ;)

Here is an idea I had, but I don't know if it counts...

Sorry dude, rule 2:

2. The craft must lift off horizontally, reach orbit (PE > 70,000m) and land intact ready for 'refuelling'.
Edited by kahlzun

Never mind DMSP your mission made the gatecrasher list ;)

Congratulations to kahlzun, hoioh, Spartwo, manni01, Astrobond and WanderingKid for successfully completing the K-Prize challenge and bringing their craft safely back to Kerbin. Welcome to the guest list for the K-Prize party aka the roll of honour.

btw not sure if this is the longest challenge kahlzun but it has lasted a while and I will continue as long as it makes sense. If any enterprising mission modder was able to construct a mod mission script that could take on the functions of the K-Prize I would be happy to get the K-Prize committee to give it the stamp of approval and hand over the name and running of the K-Prize to that.

Edited by boolybooly

I call it the Atlas SSTO. Full stock. Had some crazy things happen during my re-entry that I am not proud of.... it decided that it had had enough of me and after the burn of re-entry, it went haywire and started spinning. I recovered it at around 3000-4000m up and was able to land it. Whew.

Anyway, I believe it contends for the Pilot Proficiency, Advanced Pilot Precison and the Minimalist record though I don't know where one gets the weight, but its pretty small.

First time I've actually submitted any of my SSTO spaceplanes to this particular thread. If I'm not mistaken, this particular flight would earn me the Advanced Pilot Precision Award (surprisingly enough) and Utilitarial Commendation. I'm not sure if this comes even close to the Minimalist Record, but small size / minimum parts with an entirely-stock design was one of my goals.

I've been kicking around this particular design since 0.23.5, with incarnations for 0.24.2 and 0.25 prior to this one for 0.9. I've featured a prior incarnation of the Hummingbird (when I first devised it after toying around with speedboat designs) on /r/kerbalspaceprogram, but this is the first time that I've actually managed to document getting one to orbit and back safely, let alone without boosters, and even manage to deploy a payload.

Enjoy!

Edited by YellowApple

A light cargo hauling SSTO for all your LKO satellite launching needs, the "Ascension" from Rocky Mountain Composites will get your payloads where you need them, or your money back!

Up, 100x100km orbit, delivered payload satellite, back down and landing (I use the term loosely) at the island airstrip.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to ChaoticPhoenix, Kokanee x2 and YellowApple for successfully completing the K-Prize mission and a few little extras besides. I am having a hard time deciding which is the smallest of the four successful craft but I suspect it is Ascension by Kokanee. However I am going to make it a requirement henceforth that contenders for the weight records submit their craft's exact weight at liftoff so at this point noone has it.

SkyRex94 I liked the Skylon lookalike, very sleek, I hope you enjoy your gatecrasher entry as it used FAR which breaks rule 3, which I have since amended for greater clarity.

Hope everyone had a merry christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year.

I've been playing around with SSTO's for a couple of releases, and since 0.25 I love the new Mk2 spaceplane parts. This is the current variant of my favorite design, newly rebuilt in 0.90.

Because it's so simple, I expect someone else has already created a similar design. Being new to the forums, I've only seen a fairly small number of other designs so far.

The Sparrow Mk2 is a minimalist design. Only 6.1 tons with selected fuel amounts, and only 18 parts. 100% stock. Flies beautifully. Takes off horizontally, but can pitch right into vertical climb. Flatten out at 10k or so, use the sweet spot for as long as you can, and circularization. I've previously made orbit in it using less than 30 m/s from the rockets.

It does, however, have no luxury features other than it's esthetic appeal. No solar panels, no RTG, no batteries, no RCS, and no docking ports. (Make sure you turn off SAS and lights once you make orbit! Those Rockomax 48-7S engines produce no juice.)

Being a two-seater makes it ideal for those 'rescue a Kerbal from Kerbin orbit' contracts.

Here's a look

It has enough fuel left to do it all again! (Even though this was a fairly sloppy ascent.)

Edited by Starhawk

I felt I had to re-do this having built a fair number of airplanes now and using my new experience I built the Triple Swallow (the bird, you dirty dirty man!) with a triple fuselage and wide, mostly straight wings. There's 1 definite disadvantage to this beauty though and that's that she likes to become unbalanced during flight because the system doesn't drain equal amounts from each tank, but instead favors the tanks on the left making the ones on the right too heavy requiring constant stabilization during the final ascent. Once in orbit all the remaining fuel can be moved to the central fuselage removing this issue altogether, still I believe KSP should integrate a fuel balancing mechanic as a standard or upgrade feature what with the new buildings and whatnot. Outside of that 1 fine issue she's perfect for carrying 2 small comm sattelites to Kerbin Orbit with fuel to spare (not much mind you!)

So without further ado I present to you the Triple Swallow:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.