The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Congratulations to...

bdito Advanced Pilot Precision Award with twin rapier delta design.

Mesklin Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Brynhildr (current minimalist record holder at 1.708t).

raygundan Utilitarial Commendation (36t) and the Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Cormorant.

- Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe), Kosmokerbal Commendation (Minmus) Expeditionary (Duna, Pol, Bop), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Loon.

kahlzun Advanced Pilot Precision Award with starscream mk2.

WhiteKnuckle Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Nomad SXI (VTOL).

Death Engineering Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Just a Space Pane.

drewscriver Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction, Expeditionary Utilitarial Commendation (Duna) Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Alaflux.

... for successfully completing the K-Prize mission and thankyou all for your reports. Welcome to the guest list for the K-Prize party.

Mesklin has become the latest to break the minimalist record with the diminutive Brynhildr, well played.

raygundan to explain the awards for your ingenious second mission, the K-Prize applies to the entire craft, there are precedents for turning the command pod into a rover or lander (which is a worthy feat but does not count as payload delivery) and the rule is that the awards only count up to the point the craft splits or from the point of reassembly. I hope that makes sense and is agreeable for you.

Interesting VTOL deployment btw WhiteKnuckle.

GeorgeG currently your payload return mission would count as an Advanced Pilot Precision Award for docking in orbit and is perfectly in keeping with the K-Prize mission under the circumstances you describe. It is a useful mission in game due to the reclaim value of spent sats and a lot easier to do in terms of physics than a Utilitarial Commendation which is why, re Camaron's suggestion, I think its not worth over-complicating the K-Prize rules to add another award for a lesser achievement imho (it would at least require another proviso for command pods and solar panels for example). This is because some newcomers find the rules a bit involved already plus I have to award all prizes by hand, so more complicated for me too. If the K-Prize could be scripted as an in game mission mod then it could be worth adding a "Scrapcycle Credit" or something. I am not working on such a mod myself, though I would invite anyone who is capable of making it and into the idea to feel free to PM me. Its still a nice mission I agree, just a bit beyond the K-Prize remit which is really about seeing how far you can go and how much you can take with you in a reusable spaceplane, as an incentive to Kerbal spaceplane engineers... to visit the Dog and Booster! :cool:

Hi All :)

For my next Biomes Catcher mission to Eeloo, i wanted to try my new MK3 SSTO Plane as lifter...

Very versatile and easy to fly, full stock + KER

36 Tons max payload (tested with the big orange tank)

275893 Funds, 56 Tons without Payload, 240 Parts

For this mission, the payload was 32.2 Tons in Spaceplane Hangar

Cost to lift the payload at 90km: 1013 Funds

Here is the album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Fly safe with Jeb !

raygundan to explain the awards for your ingenious second mission, the K-Prize applies to the entire craft, there are precedents for turning the command pod into a rover or lander (which is a worthy feat but does not count as payload delivery) and the rule is that the awards only count up to the point the craft splits or from the point of reassembly. I hope that makes sense and is agreeable for you.

It's totally fine by me! I went back and re-read the challenge rules, and it turns out I missed the provisos to rule one... I thought I literally had to bring it all home, including any cargo I dropped, in order to meet the "fully reusable" challenge rules. In hindsight, that seems slightly insane, and I should have realized I was missing something.

Thanks for taking the time to set the challenge up and review all the silliness we've all submitted. It's greatly appreciated, and really adds the sort of actual missions the game lacks right now.

Here's my latest. Took a number of versions, as there were problems at high altitude (28 km or above) with the plane pitching up out of control.

I finally came across a way to get extra pitch-down force, when flying a prototype that had two Rapiers mounted near the nose, one above and one below. I could toggle the bottom Rapier off, so that the upper Rapier thrust made the nose pitch down. I sort of stumbled across that idea in the middle of an attempted climb with another prototype. Once I realized how well that could work, I went back to an earlier prototype, which had better Delta-V, and added that fix including action groups for each engine.

The basic idea for the plane was to use Mk2 tanks, because they produce some lift. I did not think it would be practical to try to do a horizontal "glide" landing on Duna, so it would need to come down vertically, using a mix of chutes and some rocket thrust to slow the final landing. So to make it more stable to not fall over easily, it uses four outer fuselage/tanks for wide spacing for the legs.

I used RCS Balancer to see the CG changes due to fuel burnoff. This led to putting most of the engines on pods mounted near the nose. There is a MAJOR bug that KSP has had and I fear will never be fixed, the gimbal control does not reverse steering when the engine is in front of the CG. But the aerodynamic control surfaces do reverse, so I do not understand why the engines do not (NovaPunch has some great Vernier liquid engines that do reverse steering when in front of the CG). That is part of Basic Rocket Science that ought to be fixed. So, anyway, I had to lock the gimbals of the engines up front.

EDIT - I forgot to mention why I had asked about bringing back a payload that the SSTO had not brought up. It was not for a special extra, it was for utility. The SSTO prototype at the time had a significant CG shift due to fuel loss. So the idea was to dock with a payload of suitable mass to bring the CG back to where it was when fully fueled, before re-entry.

The mission is documented in the Imgur album. It has a few surprises and some technical details about the combined ISP when using one LV-N, two Rapiers, and/or two 48/7S engines (see the images of the launch and climb to orbit from Duna). Here is a direct link to the full size album: http://imgur.com/a/WY9Kg#0

The mass at takeoff is 120.3 tons. It was a challenge to fly into orbit. Once it made it, it had 6662 Delta V left if it only used the LV-N.

5PyVLs5.jpg

3OlQV2a.jpg

YUxxjHa.jpg

OvKhEDx.jpg

- GeorgeG

Edited by GeorgeG

Here's my first fully successful SSTO:

http://imgur.com/a/FtNIy?gallery#0

It's very thorough. I landed on the runway, after returning to non-orbital velocities 1 continent prior to the "Africa" continent which has KSC. I just got right back up to 20km, and flew on over to the landing strip. The landing strip was the only point on Kerbin which I contacted.

Another one. Used the same Space Plane as the Duna mission, to go to Eve (a few tweaks).

y3Fi80C.jpg

Mass on runway, 122.785 tons. The climb was not as hard to fly as the Duna climb, but that was mostly from experience from the earlier flight. It did not have as much Delta V once in orbit, I am not sure how much of that was perhaps not as efficient of a climb, and how much 2 tons or so of extra mass from the previous one made it harder to climb and get into orbit.

This was done mostly as a "quick" mission, though there was some time spent tweaking some of the extra equipment and testing how to deliver it.

Not as many images as the Duna album.

Landing payloads at Eve used a synchronized maneuver I had not tried before, at least not in that way (that was a key thing that was tested out first). So, learned from that… and it was pretty neat.

- GeorgeG

eUS9v97.jpg

Congratulations to Astrobond, PercyPrune, GeorgeG for successfully completing the K-Prize challenge mission. Thanks for your reports, logged and linked in the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

raygundan thanks for your appreciation I am hoping that something like the K-Prize finds its way into the mission system at some point.

percyPrune, thanks for your successful v0.24.2 mission report with comical dialogue, which has been added to the other version 0.24 links, see spoiler in the second honours post lower down page 1 (as linked in the OP).

Hey all,

My attempt at this was bringing a satellite to orbit. The satellite was placed but due to some navigational errors it is in an eccentric orbit of around 300x70. You can see the exact orbit in the pics.

As you can see in the last pic, I overshot the KSC and attempted to land at the Island Runway. Unfortunately, I also overshot it and put down in the grass just beyond it.

I wanted to, but was not able to make a video about my cargo planes,

so I present to you my old tourist spaceship "Rabbit" (1 version 3 modification 2 configuration); (24.2)

If I can make a video about cargo planes, will I be able to put them to participate in this contest?

My HK-303R "Tri-Figher III" is capable of making laythe and back, and then landing as well.

The pics here are of a slightly older variant, and arent 100% up to date, but it shows the base craft can and does make it to laythe and back to kerbin easily. It would defenetely qualify as a SSTO, as well it doesnt use a booster or any other external propulsion, and can go to laythe and back without refueling or any docking.

It is equipped to dock, carry ship-ship missiles, and has roughly 4.3K dV once you obtain orbit. With missiles or additional equipment this changes, but teh craft is capable of making it to laythe, landing, and returning to base, all in a very small and minimalistic design.

Edited by panzer1b

The name is probably not original, but I call this the "Mk2 Dromedary".

It may not be visible in the pictures, but I have clipped the LV-N engine inside the mk2-1.25m adapter in the back of the fuselage, but since this is just for appearance, I removed all the fuel from that tank so it becomes just a structural piece.

I designed this ship to help me learn to get better at flying and landing spaceplanes -- something which I am only now getting the hang of. So this has an excess of lifting surfaces and air intakes making it glide very well. It was easy to make it into an SSTO too, capable of delivering small payloads to orbit.

EDIT: here's the craft file

Edited by Kelderek

Its been some time hasn't it xD

Time to up my game by bringing more than double my previous payload to Laythe: 15 tons

I don't know how my crappy computer survived all these visual mods

As you can see, it brought a 15 ton payload to Laythe, and then flew back. Craft file and more info here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109895-LC-Cruiser-III-Eagle-15-tons-payload-to-Laythe-SSTO?p=1720760#post1720760

So, here (finally, after having to completely rebuild my PC after my SSD's demise) is the new prototype for Terranova 5. If you noticed that the last planewas also named Terranova V, that's because in my world, failures don't keep their names. It isn't done, it still needs a finalized payload as well as the trademark Terranova dual docks.

It came out sporting an incredibly distinctive look, which I am totally in love with! (Completely by chance) I was wondering if my friends at KSP forums could suggest a nickname for this plane? My last nicknamed ship was Terranova IV, The Sentinel, because from the top, it had the distinct silhouette of some kind of mythical golem or guardian.

Here's the new Terranova V:

Edited by Camaron

Here's my latest, and last for awhile (I need to take a break from the game and focus on other things for awhile).

http://imgur.com/a/yDGR3

It's a cargo SSTO spaceplane for carrying a special payload. I"ll leave the payload as a surprise to be seen in the album. I figure somebody has probably done something like it.

Since the goal was to simply be able to carry a specific payload into LKO, the cargo SSTO was not optimized. I gave it more engines for the mass than for my other big ones. That was to make it easier and faster to climb high enough to do the speed run, and get into orbit easier. Has enough TWR to do a vertical climb after takeoff.

So, it has nine Rapiers. Eight are there to help make sure if can be controlled in pitch like my last SSTO (Duna and Eve missions), action groups to shut down lower Rapiers to pitch down as needed to fight pitch-up tendencies at high altitude. And one in the center so that I could easily manually toggle it from airbreathing to closed cycle and back as needed (do not like to use action groups for that because accidentally hitting the wrong key during airbreathing conditions without noticing wastes lots of fuel and oxidizer).

fksaBSC.jpg

For the climb to higher altitudes, used Mechjeb to keep engines from flaming out randomly. As all engines began to lose thrust, to help keep the Rapiers at high enough thrust to control pitch, I shut down the outer 4 turbojets so the rest could share the air from the intakes and have higher thrust each. Then later another 4 turbojets in the tail, leaving only the two upper and lower turbojets.

That said, had a good bit of Delta-Vee left, and could have carried a heavier payload, but a heavy payload was not a goal.

Payload tested out successfully.

kXACkXQ.jpg

It re-entered stably and landed safely.

- GeorgeG

15qpezf.jpg

Edited by GeorgeG

I have uploaded four craft files of some of my SSTO's to DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yphqjhgppprpzk5/AAAlbYSIA1BR5sWjlK5WK5xba?dl=0

Corvette R6 Payload

Microjet RCS dock

Cargo SSTO (with secret payload).

2.9 meter SSTO

Included is a text file with a list of what the Action Groups do.

All of them use the Mechjeb 2 AR202 part. For those who do not use Mechjeb, you can load them anyway by adding the AR202 part and simply not using Mechjeb, just include the part.so it can load.

Of the four, the Corvette R6 is the most fun to fly. Handles nicely. Plenty of DV to do rendezvous with, and can carry small payloads.

sYi5VpV.jpg

The Microjet is scary fast to try to fly the right profile to be able to make orbit (A lighter version of it used to have the minimalist record). Biggest issue is leveling off at 23-26 km to make a good speed run before climbing higher. It wants to go so fast in the initial climb towards 20 km that it can easily blow past right on an apoapsis of 30 km or higher, even above 70 km, before achieving enough horizontal velocity to make orbit on rocket power alone. The glide handling is great too. For more Dv, it could have an extra tank pair or two adde, but watch out for the CG change if you do.

edKbYma.jpg

The Cargo SSTO is a reasonable workhorse. Not the most efficient, but no agonizingly long tedious climbs "on the wing" like the Buh Hee Moth was. Take note that it needs to use TAC fuel balancer, set to balance fuel and oxidizer. If not, some of the jets will run out of fuel during the speed run.

8x2pL4n.jpg

The 2.9 meter SSTO is… unique! And also flies into orbit pretty nicely as the Corvette does.

- GeorgeG

Fenya, of course, if you want to check rules see page 1 first post.

Reistlyn, did Pernach return safely without refuelling etc ?

GeorgeG great rocketplane entry and enjoyed the secret cargo but unfortunately the K-Prize judges got hung up on a technicality, namely that cargo lift surfaces are not currently occluded. This means they contribute to lift sorry, which they shouldn't in the next version hence your gatecrasher entry continues the time machine theme! I linked your craft file downloads on the front page though and thanks for your contribution to the K-Prize party.

Congratulations to ...

RAINCRAFTER with Ty Fighter.

panzer1b Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe), with Tri-Fighter III (special honorific - best starbuck lookalike v0.9).

Kelderek Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Mk2Dromedary.

manni01 Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction (Laythe 15t) with LC Cruiser III 'Eagle'.

Styles2304 Advanced Pilot Precision Award with modified SR-71.

... for completing the K-Prize mission successfully, thanks for your entries and welcome to the K-Prize party aka roll of honour.

Let me know if I bodged anything. Also RAINCRAFTER typically Wednesdays but I make no promises :)

GeorgeG great rocketplane entry and enjoyed the secret cargo but unfortunately the K-Prize judges got hung up on a technicality, namely that cargo lift surfaces are not currently occluded. This means they contribute to lift sorry, which they shouldn't in the next version hence your gatecrasher entry continues the time machine theme!

Hmm, well, I wasn't thinking about that. And you would be right to declare it invalid if the Cargo SSTO had landed without the 2.9 meter SSTO that it took up. But….. the Cargo SSTO space plane landed in the same aerodynamic configuration it took off in, with all the same parts. It did not jettison anything…. it undocked a part (the 2.9 meter SSTO) that then re-docked with it and landed with all the parts it had when it took off. So, I file an appeal to the Gate-Crasher verdict! :)

But for the sake of proving the Cargo SSTO can fly without the 2.9 meter SSTO, and more, I flew it again. And I added a different payload that had no wings. I was tempted to just keep the 2.9 meter SSTO but remove all the flying surfaces. But, instead, I gave it a very useful payload that could go fly off pretty far to somewhere, dock with something else for a big mission, or whatever one can do with that much fuel and and aerospike (originally it had an LV-N but there were problems as noted in the album).

Takeofff mass of 148.66 tons, carrying a 39 ton payload.

I added more pics to the Cargo SSTO album. But rather than click thru the album, you can go directly to the first image (#35) of this flight by using this link to the full album:

http://imgur.com/a/yDGR3#35

So, the heavier payload meant it was a good thing that the Cargo SSTO has a lot of TWR. It had a slower climb and took longer to make orbit, using more fuel, but it made it easily, with 1369 m/s dV left.

FNB97Xm.jpg

The payload left the payload bay, then docked with the front of the SSTO for a brief while. Then undocked to go do its own thing. The SSTO cargo ship reentered fine and landed safely (see album for proof).

- GeorgeG

WnYSVFr.jpg

Edited by GeorgeG

ah so I did bodge something, you are right GeorgeG, my apologies, I have fixed it and added your latest mission, thanks. If I understand correctly you get a 1st Class APPA for orbital docking as well as landing on the runway in both cases. Well played!

Thanks for confirming completion of your two K-Prize missions Reistlyn, congratulations and welcome to the K-Prize guest list aka roll of honour.

I also forgot to mention ExplorerKlatt who did a fine mission but appears to have lost a wingtip on landing which therefore qualified as a gatecrasher. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just going by the screenshot with the missing wingtip. If you decide to complete the K-Prize with a successful landing (replaying from a save is recommended if possible) then the mission will qualify for the K-Prize and you have the right to choose whether to have the gatecrasher listing removed or kept. There is also a special badge for gatecrashers by wafflestoo, yours to display if you wish.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.