The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

I made it to a 100 km orbit, docked with another craft while there, and landed back on KSC 09. I think that's called "Advanced Pilot Precision Award, 1st Class".

Not a stock install of KSP, but I do use stock aero and no DRE. The only nonstandard parts on the Mockingjay are the external cameras for RasterPropMonitor. I also used Horizontal Situation Indicator, Precise Node, Alarm Clock, and Kerbal Engineer Redux for design and flight.

I took a slightly nonconventional approach, in that not a single gram of oxidizer was used. I landed with less than 1 liter of fuel remaining.

And here's how I did it!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You'll find Mockingjay here, both with and without the JSI External Cameras. Again, those are the only non-stock parts.

Edited by Samniss Arandeen
Embedded the Imgur album. Added .craft DL links.

Great, whats the name of the craft ExplorerKlatt? And do you want your gatecrasher removed?

Samniss Arandeen, when you say non stock, do you use FAR?

Fenya, sorry to hear you are having problems, there is a bug with bogus collisions near the KSC Terrain at the moment and also the occasional exploding craft as well for no good reason. I hope it will be fixed in the big bug hunt. You can report bugs on the Squad bugtracker.

The K Prize challenge is to make the obvious craft, a spaceplane, and make it work. All those who succeed will be included on the roll of honour and get a free back stage pass to hang with Kay Kool and the Kerbettes after their next live performance at the Dog and Booster (where free beer will be available).

Rules

1. The craft may not lose any parts in flight, no decoupling allowed.

2. The craft must lift off horizontally, reach orbit (PE > 70,000m) and land intact ready for 'refuelling'.

3. All fuel tanks, wings (ie lift generators & aerodynamic environments) and engine parts must be stock, for fairness.

Provisos to rule 1.

A. Payloads may decouple from the craft providing all payload tanks are as full on decoupling as at launch and any thrust (or lift) generators on the payload were not used prior to decoupling.

B. Docking is permitted providing no fuel is transferred (net per fuel type) into the K-Prize craft (it can be transferred out). Crew transfers are permitted.

Kudos

1. Smallest ship (by weight, weight info required). Minimalist record.

2. Largest ship (by weight, weight info required). Maximalist record.

3. Highest orbit. Altitudinalist record.

4. Landing on KSC terrain. Pilot proficiency medal.

5. Landing on any KSC runway or docking in orbit. Advanced pilot precision award (1stClass for both).

6. Visiting other SOIs. Kosmokerbal Commendation.

7. Planetoid landings. Astrokerbal Distinction.

8. Payload to orbit. Utilitarial Commendation.

9. Payload to distant planet surface. Utilitarial Distinction.

Prefixes: Exploratory applies to planetoid missions and Expeditionary applies to planetary lander missions outside Kerbin's sphere of influence. (Planets are defined as the central body in their own SOI within Kerbols SOI or gravity exceeding 0.75 of Kerbins.)

Guest List

(Roll of Honour.)

Version 0.90

ChaoticPheonix Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Atlas SSTO.

Kokanee Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Perigree.

- Utilitarial Commendation, Pilot Proficiency Medal with Ascension.

YellowApple Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Hummingbird.

Starhawk Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Sparrow Mk2.

- Astrokerbal Distinction (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Spacehawk Mk2.

hoioh Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Triple Swallow.

Batz_10K Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Turbo Finch LTSP R.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award with KA-1 Suicide Sled.

Signo Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Sunbeam 090.

Jonboy Kosmokerbal Commendation (Minmus) with MX-1.

carlpilot with Mercury A.

GeneralMDBK Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Ant.

Agifem Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SpacePlane Mk1.

CaptainVlad Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with RO-1 Torpedo.

antihifi Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Shuttle MK V HV.

GeorgeG Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Microjet 1.2. (Craft designs downloads.)

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Microjet RCS-dock.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Microjet Dock 3.

- Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Corvette R6 Payload.

- Utilitarial Distinction (Minmus) & Commendation x4 (+Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Buh Hee Moth (current maximalist record holder at 226.407t).

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Microjet 2.0.

- Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction (Duna), Kosmokerbal Commendation (Ike), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTO Space Plane.

- Utilitarial Commendation x5 (Eve), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTO Space Plane.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Cargo SSTO.

- Utilitarial Commendation (39t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Cargo SSTO.

ManlyPotatoe with Space Potato.

norup Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with MK3 Skylon SSTO.

Merandix Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with ME-HSP1 Svadilvari.

Starwhip Utilitarial Commendation & Distinction (Minmus), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Starstreaker III.

Cupcake... Astrokerbal Distinction x2(Mün & Minmus), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Sprite (videos).

Valcab33 Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Pegasus I.

TrypChangeling with Fox Space-Triplane.

Monsterlunch Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Galadrian I.

Sean Mirrsen Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Stratogale Mk2.

- Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Stratogale Mk2.

Right with Sprucer Goose.

Foxster Pilot Proficiency Medal with Bag o Bits.

- Pilot Proficiency Medal with Bag o Spanners.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Sippy Cup.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award with more tweaking.

astrobond Advanced Pilot Precision Award with MicroSSTO.

- Utilitarial Commendation (32.2t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with New Mk3 Shuttle Eloo Biomes Catcher.

bdito Advanced Pilot Precision Award with twin rapier delta design.

Mesklin Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Brynhildr (current minimalist record holder at 1.708t).

raygundan Utilitarial Commendation (36t) and the Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Cormorant.

- Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe), Exploratory (Duna, Pol, Bop) Kosmokerbal Commendation (Minmus), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Loon.

kahlzun Advanced Pilot Precision Award with starscream mk2.

WhiteKnuckle Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Nomad SXI (VTOL).

Death Engineering Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Just a Space Pane.

drewscriver Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction, Expeditionary Utilitarial Commendation (Duna) Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Alaflux.

RAINCRAFTER with Ty Fighter.

panzer1b Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe), with Tri-Fighter III (special honorific - best starbuck lookalike v0.9).

Kelderek Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Mk2Dromedary.

manni01 Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction (Laythe 15t) with LC Cruiser III 'Eagle'.

Styles2304 Advanced Pilot Precision Award with modified SR-71.

Reistlyn Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe) with Pernach.

- Astrokerbal Distinction (Mün) with Pernach.

Version 0.25

carazvan Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Flea SSTO Mk.IV.

Jean Deaux Advanced Pilot Precision Award (video) with Hornet.

Thorium Pilot Proficiency Medal with Simple SSTO.

zilfondel Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTO B.

djnekkid Advanced Pilot Precision Award with USS Kenterprise.

The Flying Pigs Utilitarial Commendation, Pilot Proficiency Medal (video) with Teoman2.

manni01 Astrokerbal Distinction (Mün, video) with Mün SSTO.

- Utilitarial Distinction (Laythe 6t) with Ethos.

GoSlash27 Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Butterfly Mk.1.

- Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Eve), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with KrakBadger 2.5.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class (x3) with SX DoubleDipper.

Lou Utilitarial Commendation (Minmus) with Lou's Space Plane.

- Utilitarial Distinction (Gilly), includes Utilitarial Commendations (Eve and Gilly) and Astrokerbal Distinction (Gilly) with Runabout.

Spartwo Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Kiwi mk2.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award with mk2 hummingbird.

Kokanee Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Das LuftVogel.

Overfloater Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction (Laythe), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Astroliner X Saturn.

Toxicblue Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Ugly betty.

Roflcopterkklol with White lightning mk2.

- Kosmokerbal Commendation (Mün) with White lightning mk2.

Tarmenius Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Thresher.

AstroDoc Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Rescue.

VincentS Astrokerbal Distinction (Minmus), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with a small SSTO.

ScriptKitt3h Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Kitt3h Class Luxury SSTO.

drewscriver Astrokerbal Distinction (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Hypatia I.

- Astrokerbal Distinction (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Hypatia II (video).

Signo Kosmokerbal Commendation (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with GRIFF Tatanka.

astrobond Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe, video), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with New KLK SSTO 15T.

Grumman Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with the SF-9.

The_Rocketeer Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Peregrine SP1-C.

Bill Zarr Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Podly-Dynojet.

AstroDoc Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Mun lander.

zawine Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Tweety.

bakanando Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Emergency Retrieval Spaceplane Hayato MK1.

GloriousWater Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Laythe lander.

brainlordmesomorph Advanced Pilot Precision Award with GullWing 1.

BrainiacBlue Advanced Pilot Precision Award with The Precarious.

EdwardKu Advanced Pilot Precision Award with AMX January.

Treldon Utilitarial Commendation and Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with RTV Dragonfly.

Starwhip, Utilitarial Distinction (Minmus) Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Starstreaker.

Damaske Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Midget beta II.

CocoDaPuf Utilitarial Distinction (Minmus) Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Space Goose.

gm537 Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTO VTOL (VTOL).

kahlzun Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SPAAAACE!!

hoioh Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Kerbin Space Elevator MK2.

Astrobond Utilitarial Distinction (Minmus) Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Minmus Pocket SSTO MVTOL Stock.

WanderingKid Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Sparrow 4a.

Guest Lists from previous versions.

Gate Crashers

(Dodged the bouncers.)

http://katchaskatchkan.host-ed.me/images/KPrizeGC180.png

K-Prize Gatecrasher's badge by WafflesToo (sig badges).

Hooligan Labs, acquitted on all charges...

Maxed Rockets, didnt want to come back anyway.

evilC, denied accusations of short measures saying "I found it like that."

Climberfx parts did not conform with KU common market standards policy.

pinolallo, confessed to using experimental technology. Quoted in Kerbin Gazette, "gate crashing is kind of a hobby for me, my FatBob modified lifter for example." Presented "Theory of STOL Craft Design" to the press, available at all good book stores. Publicised secret crew shuttle test flight.

cpt_nosh accidental fuel pump activation was accident.

Kappa73, on returning from Laythe told reporters that mid-flight ship disintegration is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. Complained about Kerman Bros plumbing.

Psycho529 prefers the Mun to Kerbin anyway.

Lazer Cut landed on the wrong planet, claimed it was deliberate.

Rosarium blamed saboteurs.

PotatoOverdose made no secret of refuelling on Laythe... many times over.

japa what goes up doesnt always come down.

Cupcake opined that gentlemen prefer VTOL, supplied some most funkadelic demonstration videos.

Auriga exploring the universe in a Spaceballs Camper Van (video).

ihtoit inadvertantly supercharged nuclear engine, landing strip no longer needs lights. (video)

- claimed "the force made me do it!" (Xwing video) (TIE fighter).

Technical Ben told all who would listen "Kraken is more than a mere rocket!" supplied promotional video at no extra charge!

VincentS having some technical difficulties with the "not crashing" bit. Claimed losing a fuel tank on Duna was no accident.

WafflesToo blatantly attempted to distract the K-Prize judges with a one act play (and video).

Spartwo admitted creative interpretation of altimeter readings. Made persistent attempts to distract the bouncers.

Cinocal likes to swing baby yeah (wings that is) !

- felt that altering Kerbin's atmosphere was a price worth paying.

zekes insisted that shuttles are spaceships too.

Rhomphaia took the view that any landing Jebediah could walk away from was a good landing.

El wonso quoted in Kerbin Gazette "In fact you can change the laws of physics."

British_Rover said distributed landing technique was experimental.

RTK admitted enjoying rulebreaking.

Dr.Moo provided easy listening video evidence at the hearing.

Taki117 took the view that using uncertified parts was fun.

SeventhArchitect felt modifying certified parts was perfectly safe, not bodged at all.

SeanMirrsen denied possessing a 2025 Sports Almanac. Refused to divulge lotto numbers.

At the inquest it emerged that RocketScientistV's pilot kicked the solar panel "because it looked fragile", which it was.

Sputnik's Revenge blatantly declined to add wings.

TechniCali felt uncertified air intakes looked much cooler and represented no risk to anyone not on board the craft at lift off.

Damaske confessed to using illegal refuelling technology.

WafflesToo attempted to convince the panel that unidentifiable explosions are a good sign.

Gravaar was on record saying that one day all space planes will be made this way.

Fengist refused to confirm or deny whether allegations of prevarication were misinformation.

Kokanee quoted in the Kerbin Gazette "I have seen the future and it looks like Firemoth".

numerobis reflected that VTOLs dont need to crash the gates, they can just hop over them.

GoSlash27 was adamant that that having cake and eating it was entirely possible according to quantum physics.

Rakaydos suggested the Kerbal cosmos was a 3 dimensional brane moving in a higher dimensional space and there is no cake.

RocketPilot573 told the commission "it was always intended to be an open ended mission".

DMSP apologised for a lack of parachutes but felt that the craft had made a special contribution to Kerbin's reef ecology.

SkyRex94 philosophised that were the universe a simulation one could adjust the cosmological constant to increase the availablility of sprinkles.

Captain Vlad advised the committee that the exploding bits weren't really part of the spaceship at all... any more...

Starwhip objected that colliding with the launchpad was unavoidable given the trajectory of the craft.

Camaron asserted that the borrowed fuel was nether here nor there after the engines blew up, more kind of everywhere.

ExplorerKlatt, found the missing wing tip while looking for lost golf balls.

... can you do better :P

Question: can we implement decoupling of boosters IF they are attached with parachutes for recovering later?

Congratulations to ...

Samniss Arandeen Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Mockingjay.

ExplorerKlatt Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Hyperion.

... for completing the K-Prize challenge successfully with the above awards. Welcome to the guest list aka roll of honour.

fenya I thought since you linked the unsuccessful missions that I would give you a gatecrashers listing if that is OK.

Landing this one doesn't graze the belly, and I did not accidentally take fuel from the payload.

Smooth orbit, dropped off a small construction grappler, and cruised on back to the runway.

Named Terranova V.

If you noticed the last one was also called Terranova V, that's because, in my world, failures don't keep their names. :)

... And a link to download the craft if you wish!

https://www./?w9lgibf4fqudbrx

Be careful straying too far from prograde during reentry. You can end up flipped.

Edited by Camaron

Congratulations to Camaron for completing the K-Prize successfully and in style with Terranova V. Thanks for your mission report. You now have the choice between keeping or erasing your previous gatecrasher entry. Up to you, some regard it as a badge of honour! :cool:

Here are three of my hard career mode working spaceplanes in v0.9.0. These all completed their missions in accord with K-Prize rules... many did not o7 however no kerbals have been lost this time and through a combination of dumb luck, fleeting moments of cunning and dogged persistence I am still in business.

Well I guess I should finally do a challenge or two. Anyway, my submission is Jabby. Basically build as a trainer/automated kerbal recovery plane. Super predictable through stalls, good handling, mountains of acceleration, and the ability to lift off the ground at 30 m/s. Max altitude is 500k with fine tuning of oxidizer. (less than full tanks) All science modules present. In short, if you cant hit space in this girl, then I don't know what to say. The download link is below should you wish to try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbf4vt2w2txh69m/Jabby.craft?dl=0

UI5U3HJ.png

Br4hfRK.png

WNgX6P4.jpg

Edited by sumrex

Hello everyone! :)

I would like to present my submission to the challenge.

Few days ago I build a plane for the Kerbin Circumnavigation challenge. I ended up liking it so much that I had to convert it into a functional SSTO. I wanted to keep it similar looking, manueverable, low part count (because my laptop can't handle anything above 300 parts) and low mass (so that it has to only use one turbojet), but add SSTO and docking capability, cargo/passenger modules and have at least enough vacuum dV to get anywhere within Kerbin SOI.

Final design (Cargo variant) is

- 80 parts

- Ridiculously manueverable (just about keeps itself stable while pitching hard when full, but kinda unstable when empty)

- 12,437/6,427 kg full/dry mass (w/o cargo)

- max 1,663 m/s vac dV with 48-7S (with no other fuels and cargo present, about 1450 m/s with)

- max 217 m/s vac dV with O-10 (without fuels and cargo, about 120 m/s with)

- plenty of atmo dV with turbojet (300 units of allocated fuel... I didn't even top the tanks off for the mission and still had 60 excess units (300 kg) of LF in orbit)

- long Mk2 Cargo bay (kinda less wide due to fuel tanks clipping, but still able to accomodate 1.25m parts)

- 3 jr. docking ports (all inside of cargo bay, different angles), 127.5 units of monoprop

- For this mission I used two pieces of cargo, a satellite (334 kg) and a rover (395 kg)

I named it Garradd, after the two-tailed comet C/2009 P1

Craft used for mission is available for download HERE (dropbox).

Mission plan was to achieve orbit, dock with a space station at 150 km altitude, transfer to Minmus, release the satellite, land, bounce around with the rover, and then return home.

...It didn't go exactly as planned.

Exhaustive gallery with ascent, docking, manuever nodes, beauty shots and all that good stuff can be found HERE (imgur gallery, 94 images).

TL;DR version with key moments:

I believe this mission is eligible for Advanced pilot precision award 1stClass, Kosmokerbal Commendation (Minmus) and Utilitarial Commendation x2 (Minmus, KTO). Meldin Kerman should also be eligible for Exploratory Astrokerbal Distinction :cool:

Notes:

- KER had some problems with calculating Isp (and dV) when some engines in the active stage were turned off - I had to juggle staging around every time I wanted to use a different engine

- some parts might not be worth the style (looking at you, tail connectors... 400 kg each)

- Mk2 cargo bay has no elegant way to be closed on both sides without adding too much mass (I used the Mk2 Drone Cores, 200 kg each... Adapters and fuel tanks would be better, but too long), at least that I know of

- Nuke would provide superior vac dV, but at the cost of shorter cargo bay and more mass

- 1500 m/s dV is enough to get anywhere in the Kerbol system and back, but not really enough for a Minmus landing... At least until I acquire better piloting skills.

- Next up - upgrade Garradd for interplanetary travel and send cargo to Laythe, maybe Duna :cool:

This challenge is fun, and I will be back :) Thanks for your time

EDIT: One mission later, I can safely say that this plane is certified for 3.5 tons of cargo to LKO with 500 m/s dV to spare (900 m/s after deploying cargo). It is also very unstable when completely out of fuel and should be flown with extreme care (it's adviced to keep some fuel for the turbojet in case of flipout). I'll be sure to adress that issue in the next version :)

Edited by Deutherius

Hello,

Here is my Icarus :

http://imgur.com/a/wXe5P#0

It is able to go to LKO, to dock and to go down to the KSC (With the help of Mechjeb autopilot I confess).

Very usefull to get a crew back to the ground after a mission (8 seat plus the pilot).

Passengers cabin could be replaced by fuel or cargo bay for other versions of the Icarus.

FAR and DRE compliant, carry food (TACLS), do not need a pilot but it does not have any long range antenna (I also use remote tech), I just use it to send kerbals to LKO, board into another ship, and when you come back use Icarus autopilot to help during docking.

Im not sure if this counts, but a bit back i made a SSTO to laythe and back, kinda tough to get back, but it has the dV needed to take off, circularize, get to laythe, land, takeoff, and return to kerbin.

Ofc this was originally designed to look cool and didnt even fly, and has progressed into a fully capable interplanetary interceptor, unlike the 1st 2 generations.

That attempt was actually rather crappy, as i botched up the return totally wasting alot of dV i couldve used on other things. If i make another roundtrip sometime soon, ill post an updated album.

I just ran across this challenge, but thought I'd enter one I did as a challenge to myself which I started in v .18 and finally accomplished after many iterations in v.90.

My challenge was take an orange tank into orbit w/o using any of its fuel and return to the ksc landing strip, stock only, no refueling, ssto.

The newly named Constellation, Jumbo SSTO 2 is a spaceplane capable of delivering a 36t untapped orange tank to LKO and returning to the KSC landing strip.

http://kerbalx.com/sumguy/Jumbo%20SSTO%202

Here's my challenge proof video

Looks like it's up for Advanced Pilot Precision, Utilitarial Commendation, maybe largest ( 28.04 x 7.63 x 26.13, 250 parts ).

Anyway it was a fun challenge, and I'm happy to get to share :D

2015-01-22_00005_zpsdmiw2akr.jpg

Mullet Dyne Advanced Operations would like to offer up Dinklestein's personal K-Prize design as a challenge entry. Mission tested and achieving the following:

Advanced Pilot Precision Award

Exploratory Astrokerbal Distinction (Minmus, Mun)

Exploratory Utilitarial Commendation (Minmus)

The team is sure a better pair of pilots could have managed more, and visiting another SOI is certainly an alternative mission, just don't sign up Seemund and Lusen again!

CRAFT FILE - please note the craft file comes with a different payload to the mission, I was going to run again and pick up a couple more awards, but have other challenges to enter!

MISSION REPORT:

Just a question;

What is a "Gate Crasher"?

And is the challenge still up? I'm considering trying.

Thanks!

The Gate Crasher award is for entries that break a rule, like breaking a wing tip on landing, but still complete the challenge.

AFAIK, the challenge is still running. I completed it a week or two ago.

The Gate Crasher award is for entries that break a rule, like breaking a wing tip on landing, but still complete the challenge.

AFAIK, the challenge is still running. I completed it a week or two ago.

Oh. I guess there is some recognition for those who fail as well.

Thanks for the reply!