The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Proudly submitting the Zz Tourist Carrier. My bait errr.... I mean payload were 5 tourists who wanted to go in orbit. Crashes were avoided since they are too expensive for cheap tickets, but I included a reentry stall to put the F in .... FUN :):cool:

I did touchdown the KSC runway on my way back, but then I ... decided to ... hum ... stop further ahead so they could get a glimpse of the beautiful countryside around KSC.

http://kerbalx.com/crafts/3936

Here is my entry:

The name (small SSTO 8) is pretty darn generic, but it works fairly well-- I've gotten 4217 dV after achieving a 75KM orbit!

(This would be without payload, and will require manual transfer of fuel from the wings to the body after orbiting (twice.. there is a lot of fuel in the wings!)).

It will happily lift 3-4 tons into orbit. Variants of this with a larger payload bay will lift 7.5 tons to 80km orbit and still have 2k dV left over.

It flies surprisingly well so long as you don't go into time accel low in the atmosphere.

Other than MechJeb, everything is stock. No physics games played here (no reversed/offset nosecones either).

You'll want to fly a shallow ascent with this to make it work. Check the pics to see some of the angles/speeds.

Just after takeoff:

xvM8cjg.png

At the limit of the open-cycle Rapiers

qsRut6L.png

Orbiting at 75x76km

Mqp0klH.png

There is 4217 dV left after doing this, but MechJeb and KE don't see it since it requires manual transferring from the various wing tanks to the main body for the Nuclear engine. I calculated this by filling up the central tanks, then burning it all up and, after that, transferring all the rest of the fuel into the central tanks (and measuring the dV, then summing).

Great approach!

FPHCjQq.png

Slowing down!

UT52BhS.png

Overshot?! *sigh* Time to turn it around and land from the other direction!

WK3kKUj.png

Landed:

XrzrG0R.jpg

Edited by heavylifter

Here is my entry. I tried making a teeny tiny little ssto, but it's pretty difficult without lots of part clipping, and I'm not really a fan of that. So here is the WASP instead:

Wasp-SSTO by killakrust on Sketchfab

screenshot0.png

It weighs in at 6.6t (recon I could shave a bit more off by removing more oxidiser). It's a variation of an SSTO I designed ages ago, and was a lot easier to get into orbit prior to the new aero, so it's a bit bigger now. Because it is so light the flight profile is pretty easy; just point her to 45degrees till about 6-7km altitude, then push the nose down to 30 degrees and ride it out.

Here is a video of Valentina taking it for a spin to AP 81148 / PE 79066, then returning to the KSC runway.

Edited by killakrust
Added sketchfab model

After countless iterations and attempts, using every delta-v saving trick and design application, I present a continuation of my SSTO series where I go to the Mun and back in one stage (with other explorationarrow-10x10.png and shenanigans once there) using only the fuel on the runway at the start. One of the biggest challenges was surviving the heating effects at high speeds in-atmosphere. In the video the temperature gauges were disabled since they cluttered up my screen but I can assure you, if they has been activatedarrow-10x10.png as hey were in practice attempts, they were pretty much all just teetering on the edge of maxing out!

I solved this issue by building my own cockpit. Stockarrow-10x10.png cockpits and parts at the front of a craft overheat because there are very few other parts to dissipate the heat to so by constructing my own cockpit, the heating effects can be shared between the many parts, preventing the exposed kerbal from boiling alive. My custom cockpit also looks rather snazzy, if I say so myself! On re-entry, I entered the atmosphere several times, gradually lowering me speed an apoapsis to prevent any major G-forces and heating effects. Once I entered for the final time, I used an extremely shallow trajectory to gradually bleed of speed very high up in the atmosphere (before heating kicks in) which was assisted by deploying large flaps at the rear of my craft, using a pair of air-brakes and making used of an extreme (45°) angle of attack.

TO maximise my delta-v during the assent out of Kerbin's atmosphere, I made use of what I like to call the 'RAPIERspike' engine. Consisting of a standard RAPIER engine with an inverted small nose cone on the back, although mass is increased, the drag experienced at high speeds is dramatically reduced - helping to assist the nukes into pushing into orbit with much less fuel that normal. Even still, however, I finished the mission with only 0.8% of my fuel remaining!!

Hope you enjoyed :)

Three questions before I make my 1.0.4 attempts, boolybooly:

1.) Is it still a Utilitarial Commendation if my payloads to orbit are a couple of KAS boxes? I plan to take them to the space station, swap them out for the two already on station, and fly back with the ones from the station.

2.) Will there be a "Capitalist Run" for least mission cost per Kerbal/ton of payload?

3.) Does it count as K-Prize for an unmanned SSTO to rescue a stranded Kerbal and safely return him?

THE KERBAL TIMES-ACCELERATION

01 August 2015

IN A SINGLE STAGE, by Alexander Kerman

In celebration of the (as-yet-foreseen) end of Kerbin's atmospheric upheaval, The Arandeen Aerospace Corporation decided to construct an SSTO. The following is an account of the first publicised mission with their new craft, the Fletchinder.

The star-studded event had the original Kerbalnaut himself, Jebediah Kerman, on hand to ride aboard the craft. He was originally to relieve Valentina Kerman in her duties before the return, but was too busy taping GoPros to the external skin to care. "The damn things nearly blew up in reentry, Jeb!" remarked rocket scientist and CEO Samniss Arandeen when he saw the charred cameras. However, the footage survived and was reportedly a KerbTube viral hit, prompting Arandeen to consider adding external cameras to the plane's future iterations.

AAC lead engineer Bill Kerman aided up-and-coming pilot Valentina Kerman in guiding the spacecraft and making sure all systems functioned as intended. In addition, three of Kerbin's brightest scientific minds were dragged kicking and screaming cordially invited to participate in the flight, returning with only post-traumatic stress disorder fond memories and a little spacesickness. Says flight passenger Bob Kerman, "I thought were going to hit [the Placeholder Station]!" Apprentice Scientist Molie Kerman agreed with the sentiment, "Who the [EXPLETIVE] thought this mission was a good idea?", but says she's interested in helping to apply the lessons learned from the Fletchinder on future missions.

The mission did not go entirely to plan, however. Due to Valentina's inexperience and malfunctioning guidance software, the planned docking with a previously-launched Placeholder Station ran out of Reaction Control System fuel and was aborted. The mission would have seen Bill transfer two crates of stationbuilding supplies to the Placeholder. The scrubbed docking did not interfere with the landing, and the craft set down completely intact on Runway 09 of the Kerbal Space Center after nine hours in orbit.

Spaceflight monitoring authority and anti-space-junk advocate Boolybooly has yet to comment on whether he approves of the craft or not. Samniss Arandeen already has one of Boolybooly's K-Prize awards for the now-obsolete "Mockingjay" single-seater craft, but has said he wouldn't mind another one sitting in the lobby of the corporate office. "Prospective clients of [AAC] will be reassured that we know what we're doing."

UPDATE: 3 AUG 2015 Boolybooly has considered the Fletchinder worthy of the K-Prize, and has shipped the trophy. In other news, the facade of Arandeen Aerospace Corporation has been completely dismantled to make way for the trophy's entrance.

Edited by Samniss Arandeen

Congratulations to your premiere regarding SSTO spaceplanes (if I read your post correctly) and a nice concept for the airbrakes. Did you consider just leaving the turbojets out of the equation? You should be able to get the same cargo into orbit with much less fuel and weight (and costs ;) ) with twin rapiers only. This will be a slightly less sporty plane and require you two level off twice during ascent: Just after runway to get the ram-effect going and then most practically at ~10-12kms to use maximum thrust to accelerate to >1100m/s. After that, climb as shallow as you can without killing any parts. It looks like your ascent profile was relatively steep anyway (800m/s at 22km/s is roughly 500m/s short of average speeds found in this thread).

Looking forward to your next submission :) !

Thanks all for your mission reports.

Congratulations to ...

parzr Utilitarial Commendation (90t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Gigantor (maximalist record holder 562.37t).

GoSlash27 Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Mainway Adobe.

drewscriver Utilitarial Commendation (10t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Hikaze.

Red Iron Crown Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTLR.

Qigon Pilot Proficiency Medal with Zz Tourist Carrier.

heavylifter Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Small SSTO 8.

killakrust Advanced Pilot Precision Award with the Wasp.

harzard-ish Astrokerbal Distinction (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with stock SSTO.

Nich Astrokerbal Distinction (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTM.

Yodaskool Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Simple SSTO.

Samniss Arandeen Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Fletchinder.

... on completing the K-Prize mission successfully. Welcome (back in some cases) to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

GraviTykillz, thats a remarkable craft you have there but I am sorry to say the refuelling means the mission is a gatecrasher so I hope you enjoy your gatecrasher link.

Three questions before I make my 1.0.4 attempts, boolybooly:

1.) Is it still a Utilitarial Commendation if my payloads to orbit are a couple of KAS boxes? I plan to take them to the space station, swap them out for the two already on station, and fly back with the ones from the station.

2.) Will there be a "Capitalist Run" for least mission cost per Kerbal/ton of payload?

3.) Does it count as K-Prize for an unmanned SSTO to rescue a stranded Kerbal and safely return him?

1. treat as payload ie cannot contribute to lift or thrust in the mission flight, but counts if payload is left in orbit. Descent payload does not count except must not contribute to lift or thrust including attitude control, as per payload rules otherwise it is like refuel or combo-craft.

2. nop, someone else can run that challenge and have fun, maybe you could do it? :D

3. yup

Congratulations to your premiere regarding SSTO spaceplanes (if I read your post correctly)

My premiere for this version of KSP, yes. I linked to my .90 run with Mockingjay in the post.

and a nice concept for the airbrakes.

What, the part about asymmetric drag causing Fletchinder to pitch-up in reentry?

Did you consider just leaving the turbojets out of the equation? You should be able to get the same cargo into orbit with much less fuel and weight (and costs ;) ) with twin rapiers only.

That craft barely got off the runway and never could go past 20km. Could be my sucky piloting, though. I may scrap Rapiers entirely and throw on some 'Spikes or maybe give some Nerv love.

This will be a slightly less sporty plane and require you two level off twice during ascent: Just after runway to get the ram-effect going and then most practically at ~10-12kms to use maximum thrust to accelerate to >1100m/s. After that, climb as shallow as you can without killing any parts. It looks like your ascent profile was relatively steep anyway (800m/s at 22km/s is roughly 500m/s short of average speeds found in this thread).

Looking forward to your next submission :) !

Levelling off that low in atmo? I'm sorry, but no. Just...just no. I keep the level off until 10-13 kms for reduced drag and less parts killage. With a 20 degree climb out I'm hitting Mach 1 at around that altitude anyway. Slowly pitching to 5 degrees at this point seems to work the best; my limiting factor here is if I pitch too low/too soon, I start losing altitude. I pitch back up once I hit 500 m/s, maybe that's a bit too conservative.

I didn't mean to patronize you :) .

I just found that keeping the plane at sea level for ~30 seconds results in immense fuel savings (for my lame ducks at least) and a much quicker ascent afterwards, as the TWR receives a big boost due to ram effects. Will post a twin-turbo/twin nuke spaceplane later when I get home from work that does the trick and weight-wise plays in the same league as your bird :) .

but more thrust = more fuel

I think it is really based on the amount of lift and angle of attack. The less lift you have the faster you want to go. If you have a lot of lift you will probably want to get to 10 km before you accelerate. I would have to do some testing but I am guessing 5-10 degrees AOA is around what you want 8 degrees is probably optimal but I would have to do some testing.

I do a subsonic climbout usually. Less drag means less fuel expended, if you go twice as fast you get up there in half the time but with four times the drag. I'll let it climb as far as it can subsonic then go level (or pitch down if necessary) to go supersonic and resume the climb.

OK, something from my side once again: The uninspiringly named "Twin Turbo SSTO Planetoid Edition" did its second flight today.

Complete album:

Summary:

- Roughly 26 Tons incl. payload

- Payload for this mission: A science probe of 1.4tons, two ion thrusters, 9xxx m/s delta-V

- Two turbojets

- Two NERVAs

- one Kerbal

Mission profile:

- this time (as suggested here) a relatively quick and steep climbout after runway, no real leveling, slight corrections at 10kms

- parking orbit: 71x74 kms

- orbital insertion burn of roughly 900m/s to the Mun

- payload drop-off, the probe completed the orbit on its own

- retroburn to 46.000m periapsis

- three aerobraking circles at Kerbin: from 12.000kms to 900kms to 74kms apoapsis height. Turn three was the final re-entry.

- no pilot precision award :( . My orbit was a bit inclined and the craft started to tumble on the wrong side of the planet. At least I was lucky enough to find a little Motu to land on after I regained control :D .

Edited by plotz

Hi All :)

I made a KSP V1.04 SSTO for long distance flights that works very well, so i wanted to share with you :)

Here is the craft:

Delta-104-SSTO-Big.craft

Less than 34t., 76,956 funds, 46 parts, 5390 dV left at 75km x 75km for my best try.

PB-NUK for Battery recharge.

(To see the max dV in orbit, you need to move the wing fuel in other tanks)

1 = Toggle Rapier Airbreathing/Rocket Mode

2 = Toggle Rapier/LV-N

Kerbin ascent path:

5° to 400m/s

15° to 8000m

Prograde until 5°

SAS Hold until 25km, then Press 1

When Rapier fuel out, Press 2, and Prograde :)

Kerbin Reentry:

AirBreak On, Prograde, Move fuel on the nose to keep a good Center Of Gravity for landing.

A little album:

Feel free to visit a lot of planets with it !

Fly safe with Val !

Edited by astrobond

Here's an SSTO from my career save:

-Crew of 6

-Cargo bay for small payloads

-RAPIER-less, Aerospike-less

-Designed to fit a mid-career save

IIRC the cost of the craft is about 40,000 credits, or less (don't remember how much exactly) and the cost of a single flight is only about 2,000 credits.

More details: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131272-The-Roadrunner-SSTO

Edited by Veeltch

Thanks to all for you mission reports. Congratulations to ...

Plotz - Kosmokerbal Commendation, Utilitarial Commendation (Mün) with Twin Turbo SSTO Planetoid Edition.

boolybooly Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Zoltron D.

astrobond Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Delta-104-SSTO-Big.

castille7 Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Space Eagle.

... for completing the K-Prize mission with flying colours and welcome to the party guest list aka the roll of honour.

Veeltch, can you confirm either by word or image that you reached orbit in accord with the K-Prize rules? :) Its just you haven't said so and none of the images show it was the case as far as I can see, so it would be presumptious of me to assume you had done the mission, since some people just want to share ships.

EDIT OK thanks Veeltch I see the PE now :) guest list amended.

Veeltch Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Roadrunner MkVI.

Edited by boolybooly

Veeltch, can you confirm either by word or image that you reached orbit in accord with the K-Prize rules? :) Its just you haven't said so and none of the images show it was the case as far as I can see, so it would be presumptious of me to assume you had done the mission, since some people just want to share ships.

Check the 4th pic of the album where it shows all the stats. There's the KER HUD showing the Ap and Pe. It says it's a 72kmx71km orbit.

EDIT: This one somewhere around here VVVVVVV

aitS8zo.png

Edited by Veeltch

Er if the Kerbal survives that counts as returned from Orbit right, and it was definitely overinsured... ;)

So we have the Steinsieker Ion shuttleletthingamabboy, that gets lifted up by er I can't remember what it's called open cockpit drag monstrosity. This is a total Gatecrasher, because ordinarily she's supposed to dump the turbojets - doing that, means you can get enough ∆V to get a nice high Ap that you can then dump out the shuttlet, fly to the Mun. Land on the Mun. Return to the piece of crap transport, dock and go back to the KSC with a sample. Only she's yet to survive the trip down... For this trip we kept the turbojets, still managed to get to the Mun with ease (didn't land) docked and survived.

I need to tweak the reentry handling... Keep it at around 5 degrees nose up and it's okay. But as the atmosphere gets thicker she starts to wobble. Probably time to admit defeat and fit a rudder and some more vanes...

The quest continues...

Edit: August 30- She's now completely capable of surviving reentry!

Edited by FlipNascar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.