The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Thankyou EvermoreAlpaca, looks like a very capable spaceplane from your mission videos. So did you run the mission specifically to work in harmony with the K-Prize rules? Looks complete for a Utilitarial Commendation plus Advanced Pilot Precision Award, assuming there was no fuel usage from the payload during the lift to orbit, which I was unable to verify, can you confirm that? Your word is good enough, just to be sure I am not assuming anything.

No fuel was used from the payload, and I actually had 15 tons of extra fuel left in the spaceplane itself (althought I did use some of that when i had to do a go around to land on the runway :D)

It can haul a 100 ton payload to LKO, using only its own fuel and without detaching anything but the payload. I use this thing for everything I can. I made this before I even looked at these forums, but it does match all the rules.

Correct RCgothic, I am afraid it changes the flight conditions which means we are not comparing like for like, though there are several gatecrashers who did likewise so if you wanted to make a mission report then it would get a link among the infamous ;) gatecrashers!

Alright, time to bust these gates wide open! Any consensus over whether using FAR is easier or harder than stock these days?

Take off: 9vyVda9.jpg

Orbit: That's about 400dv remaining.

MQ01Yng.jpg

Re-entry:

ji17vxY.jpg

Overshot a bit:

lr3pdHA.jpg

Sightseeing:

BQKdBSo.jpg

Coming in for landing:

65CvWGW.jpg

Touch down!

2lY8hm2.jpg

Not so useful payload: One bored scientist. Several hundred unused units of fuel.

Now to upgrade to something actually useful.

:) well played all. I get the impression FAR is trickier RCgothic but as I am sure you understand the reason for considering it is a gatecrasher mod is the challenge needs a standard, else people could mod their own atmosphere and make it easier. So the stock physics is the standard. But gatecrasher exists to allow allcomers to showcase designs, so thanks for your mission report which is duly linked as a gatecrasher with a teensy quip, hope that is OK.

Congratulations to EvermoreAlpaca for inadvertently completing the K-Prize challenge mission with Utilitarial Commendation & Advanced Pilot Precision Award with EvermoreAlpaca Lift 100 Eve Tug Seven. Thanks for your mission report videos and for the clarification. Welcome to the K-Prize party guest list. :D

Edited by boolybooly

• 3 weeks later...
Technically you're right. But that ruins the fun of the challenge. Try to SSTWhereveryouwant

Sorry, I must disagree, or maybe I didn't understand one statement or another. If he carries the OMS engines to orbit fairly and in a single stage, how does that ruin the fun? Personally I think it's even more fun to SSTO with a clever combination of jets/orbital insertion motors/interplanetary engines than with a single engine type e.g. RAPIERS.

So SSTO means single stage to ORBIT, right? In other words, am I allowed to use separate OMS engines once I'm in orbit? What about to deorbit? And to circularize? basically, what are the rules regarding OMSs? Stock, of course.

I think the salient point here is that as long as you don't stage (detach any parts) you can use whatever engines at whichever point you wish. Turning engines on and off is not staging, decoupling parts is.

Happy landings!

Sorry, I must disagree, or maybe I didn't understand one statement or another. If he carries the OMS engines to orbit fairly and in a single stage, how does that ruin the fun? Personally I think it's even more fun to SSTO with a clever combination of jets/orbital insertion motors/interplanetary engines than with a single engine type e.g. RAPIERS.

I see where you are going with this. But what I meant to say, was that by SSTO in this challenge, I think the SSTO should be reiterated.

TLDR: I was suggesting to keep it single stage.

-SPAddict

I agree using a mix of engines shouldn't matter at all, so long as nothing is detached from the craft. The whole concept of an SSTO is that everything that starts on the tarmac (minus fuel) makes it to orbit. Classically this could be defined as "one engine only", but realistically designs that mix engines are legion here..

I agree using a mix of engines shouldn't matter at all, so long as nothing is detached from the craft. The whole concept of an SSTO is that everything that starts on the tarmac (minus fuel) makes it to orbit. Classically this could be defined as "one engine only", but realistically designs that mix engines are legion here..

Which I love doing best! :D You know, Dinklestein loves variety! (Reference)

Here's my entry for the K-Prize.

Two lifters:

Galaxy VII

102 parts

210 T

41T to 100KM orbit demonstrated (with lots of fuel to spare)

Docking capability (Demonstrated to Rune's station)

Easy Landing and re-entry control

Moderate Lag

Galaxy VII Heavy

132 parts

262 T

94.5T to LKO demonstrated (100T likely possible)

Docking capability

Easy Landing and re-entry control

Lagoriffic

All fuel transfer was from the Galaxy VII and its payload to the station--no fuel was transferred from the payload or from the station for either of the craft.

Ascent:

1) For optimal burn, do not pitch up more than 20 degrees during takeoff. With lighter payloads, angles up to 45 degrees are possible for rapid ascent.

2) Wait until the jet engines shut off due to lack of air, then start the KR-2L+

3) Complete Orbit

4) Hit action key 0 to extend the solar panels

Descent:

1) Transfer all fuel from all tanks to the rocket fuel tanks in front of and behind the cargo bay

2) Equalize the fuel between the two rocket tanks for COG. Then transfer 500 units of fuel and/or oxidizer to the large rocket tank in the front for re-entry. This helps stabilize the craft and prevent spins.

3) Hit action key 8 to disable the majority of the jets (helps lag)

4) Retrograde burn, then face prograde

5) Hit action key 0 to retract the solar panels

6) Re-enter at a 20-35 degree pitch up attitude. While the craft can handle pretty serious re-entries pitch up, having a 0 degree or pitch down attitude may destroy the wings.

Landing:

1) Come in low and level with the runway. I do my final approach at around 300 meters altitude when the grass color changes from dark green to light green, near KSC.

2) Maintain approximately 110 m/s speed when landing. A 25-35% throttle will maintain velocity when flying straight and level. The stall speed is roughly 60-80 m/s when empty. DO NOT fall below this speed during landing or you will encounter RUD.

3) Watch the Vertical Speed Indicator indicator closely. Try to keep the sink rate < 5 m/s. >10 m/s may result in RUD when hitting the runway.

4) Once over the runway, gradually pull throttle and flare to land. I typically land at 70-90 m/s.

As long as you keep the sink rate low, and keep your speed up during landing, it lands very easily.

Craft Files: (Right click and "Save Link As")

Galaxy VII with Refuel Pod

Galaxy VII Heavy

2015-10-24_00017.jpg

2015-10-24_00019.jpg

2015-10-24_00025.jpg

2015-10-24_00026.jpg

Cargo Weight: 2015-10-24_00028.jpg

2015-10-24_00033.jpg

2015-10-24_00037.jpg

2015-10-24_00039.jpg

2015-10-25_00005.jpg

Edited by Lothsahn

Congrats to Kokanee on completing the K Prize, duly added to the roll of honour. Though I am not sure if you want a gatecrashers link for the failed mission after the successful one, so say if you do.

Lothsahn, thanks for your contribution, to win the K-Prize there needs to be a statement or demonstration that a specific mission was completed. In your post you were clear about putative capabilities and that a mission had demonstrated certain mission objectives but did not show or state that these same missions had resulted in a successful landing and completion. Could you please clarify about specific completed missions, if you would like an official link on the front page, thanks :)

And the K-Prize rule is that if it is in the stock game you can use it, applies to all engines, rules are on the first page.

Yup its open Just Jim, the K-Prize is yours if you make a report of what your craft did in the sense of relevant accomplishments on a real mission which achieved the challenge goals, your word is good enough, but screens etc are welcome and engaging.

In particular the take off has to be horizontal, orbit PE > 70Km, landing intact on Kerbin.

See first page for rules. Have updated it to specify how to participate etc.

Yup its open Just Jim, the K-Prize is yours if you make a report of what your craft did in the sense of relevant accomplishments on a real mission which achieved the challenge goals, your word is good enough, but screens etc are welcome and engaging.

In particular the take off has to be horizontal, orbit PE > 70Km, landing intact on Kerbin.

See first page for rules. Have updated it to specify how to participate etc.

OK, awesome! I have a stock SSTO currently in orbit picking up passengers. I have screenshots of the take off and docking. I just need to land her and get a couple screenshots of her coming in and on the ground.

Here is my entry, I read the forum an hour ago and I was like "huh I should try that" so I converted one of my planes into a SSTO and tried it.

Sorry I picked quite a bad time and had to land in the night.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I forgot to f3 but I think it's acceptable, I was a bit short on oxydiser but I had enough liquid fuel to correct it.

It's also my first SSTO that works.

(I played full stock)

Well that mostly worked. Lovely little stock scooter deserved a better pilot.

A bit sluggish, really: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/648876990480686045/B5E6B14299DD9D50323A8C811A0E44C661484B08/

Completely overdid the orbit: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/648876990480689673/69DAB954090AF3D31BC228DCA8FAF74D57E1FC28/

Oh yeah. Too much: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/648876990480687440/C5FFD34BBF8B7EA67B2787F7592FC007EA5471BB/

Valentina actually looks a bit embarrassed, as the KSP center is, um, another 60 kilometers from here. Gonna take some walking. http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/648876990480690326/7BE07E64D5A4CFA0594778ED5B86729AA3605507/

(I feel for her, she'd have had plenty of excess jet fuel if I hadn't spun the plane on takeoff because I forgot to action-group the toggle and tried to manually switch engine modes during the ascent - frisbee spins at 1400m/s are interesting)

I guess a win is a win.