The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

6 hours ago, boolybooly said:

If there is a way to fix the internal links in this thread I would like to hear about it.

I wish I knew :( This is such an old and great thread, and the sort of challenge that will always be a challenge--sad to think that so much history got borked. I don't know what to tell you Booly, if it's just a question of updating the OP that can certainly be done manually, with some work. I wouldn't even try to re-link all the posts in 84 pages.

On a happier note, I orbited a seaplane and managed a safe water landing, have also managed a land-landing. This one's called 'Laythe X5.1' because it's a prototype lander for that moon.

Don't worry about updating links for my sake-- I SSTO all the time, just posting for reader amusement :)

Edited by Kuzzter

...Okay so I'm late to the party but based on cursory reading of the rules I've qualified for this prize several times before. What all counts as a minimum submission? Do I need to post a craft file, or a certain minimum number of images?

To start, here's an example of a time I used an SSTO spaceplane to bring some stuff to my interplanetary mothership:
tV5v2XLl.png
So do I get the prize or do I have to do additional steps? xP

OK no fix apparent so I patched it up as best I could and painted over the duct tape. (Thanks Kuzzter for the sympathy and moral support btw.)

Thanks all for your mission reports.

Congratulations to ...

Bev7787 with ssto1.

Kuzzter with Laythe X5.1.

parameciumkid Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Cargo Spaceplane.

.. for successfully completing the K-Prize mission and welcome to the all new K-Prize party guest list (I may have exaggerated the all new thing). Please rest assured that the Dog and Booster remains charmingly old school and is dedicated to your beverage and snack requirements.

Gatecrashers Temstar and Kokanee; your reports have been linked and quipped, better luck next time. :wink:

Edited by boolybooly

Sorry EvermoreAlpaca, I was discombobulated by the forum shenanigins. Congratulations ... etc you know the drill and Huacaya 225 now holds the maximalist record. You mentioned docking but I wasnt sure whether that was a complete mission so I went with the image record you provided.

Evermore Alpaca Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Huacaya 225.(maximalist record holder 511.5t)

I took a stab at a small SSTO with "Le Petit Alpaca V1"

5.881 tons Launch Weight, takes off and lands on the runway, with a somewhat unorthodox landing pattern that I will leave as a surprise.  Not a totally spartan SSTO, Le Petit Alpaca has batteries, a solar panel, tricycle landing gear, elevators, the whole shebang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1RhgEnFVQw&feature=youtu.be

Edited by EvermoreAlpaca

Congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission once again EvermoreAlpaca with a very different craft ... looks like that completes the set by taking the minimalist record.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Le Petit Alpaca V1 (minimalist record holder 5.881t).

If you docked during the first mission with Huacaya 225 then you earned the highly regarded Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class !

Good luck with finals.

Edited by boolybooly

So I tweaked the design of the Fire Rat, but it's largely the same (count this as a separate entry from my prior ones if that's ok with you):

Minus the lights, the plane is entirely stock, including aero (the tug is not).  I didn't bother with landing and not refueling, I decided to refuel and launch again :P.  All refueling was done on the ground, nothing in orbit.

Edited by iospace

This is what I call Proto Nuclear SSTO I. And a very successful prototype, as it is capable of even a Mun flyby. So, I didn't quite make it to the Runway, but I was close. With some careful landing, it it possible, but I took the easy way out.

EDIT: Okay, how in the world do I insert the album? D:

Edited by Der Anfang

Congratulations to...

iospace Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Fire Rat.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Fire Rat after refuel at KSC.

Der Anfang Pilot Proficiency Medal, Kosmokerbal Commendation with Proto Nuclear SSTO I.

ABalazs Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Guppy.

...on completing the K-Prize mission successfully. thankyou for your mission reports and welcome (back) to the guest list for the K-Prize party aka the roll of honour.

ABalazs you might want to know that payloads only count for Utilitarial kudos if delivered i.e. dropped off somewhere, otherwise they are indistinguishable from being part of the craft.

• 2 weeks later...

An improvement on my previous minimalist submission, Launch Mass 4.792 Tons (Excluding the pilot, 4.886 with).  Takes off and lands on the runway, quite maneuverable, as you shall see if you watch the video, which you should!  Bill will be pleased.

Bill Kermans' SSTO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJvRmn_TLdc&feature=youtu.be

17 minutes ago, EvermoreAlpaca said:

An improvement on my previous minimalist submission, Launch Mass 4.792 Tons (Excluding the pilot, 4.886 with).  Takes off and lands on the runway, quite maneuverable, as you shall see if you watch the video, which you should!  Bill will be pleased.

Bill Kermans' SSTO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJvRmn_TLdc&feature=youtu.be

The video is marked private.

EDIT: NVM

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict