The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Here you go. All is satisfactory? I don't like paying airport tax. :(

Maybe I should take less pictures the next time I do a challenge lol.

Sherlock Holmes is disappointed, the landing struts are also lowered when the G key is pressed lol. Edited by Suzaku

Here you go. All is satisfactory? I don't like paying airport tax. :(

Maybe I should take less pictures the next time I do a challenge lol.

Sherlock Holmes is disappointed, the landing struts are also lowered when the G key is pressed lol.

Preetttty spaceplanesssszzzz.

Grats Suzaku, nice mission run and impressive control on the landing. Definitely deserving of an advanced pilot precision award. Since you gave us two videos and made a special request you can keep your gate crasher entry as per your request as well as be named on the guest list roll of honour.

bsalis, great looking spaceplane and nice images, thanks for your report. I just want to check with you that you are claiming a completed mission before adding your entry to the honours list and that your orbit periapsis therefore rose above the 36km which is evident in the mechjeb readout of your "Rocket Action" screeny, to some value exceeding 70km ? This is because the game will declare the craft is in orbit when it is in the atmosphere, so I cannot be completely certain which definition of "orbit" you are using in you spoiler tag "In Orbit". Your word is good enough as I have said to others, you simply need to utter it. Its just that the screenies are not completely self-evident and you have not explicitly said you completed the mission, so it would be wrong of me to assume you meant to but didnt, if you see what I mean, seeing as near misses are a way of life on the Kerbal Space Program! :D

bsalis, great looking spaceplane and nice images, thanks for your report. I just want to check with you that you are claiming a completed mission before adding your entry to the honours list and that your orbit periapsis therefore rose above the 36km which is evident in the mechjeb readout of your "Rocket Action" screeny, to some value exceeding 70km ? This is because the game will declare the craft is in orbit when it is in the atmosphere, so I cannot be completely certain which definition of "orbit" you are using in you spoiler tag "In Orbit". Your word is good enough as I have said to others, you simply need to utter it. Its just that the screenies are not completely self-evident and you have not explicitly said you completed the mission, so it would be wrong of me to assume you meant to but didnt, if you see what I mean, seeing as near misses are a way of life on the Kerbal Space Program! :D

Yeah, sorry. I didn't get a screenshot of the completed burn showing a 100km circular orbit. But I made it, with one-and-a-bit tanks left. Plenty for re-entry.

This was more of a personal achievement. Only thought of posting here as an afterthought.

I had a lot of trouble building a SPH based SSTO, and last night I finally nailed it. It only gets to LKO and back, but that's enough, i'm chuffed.

EDIT: just to clear things up, I put another up, using MechJeb Ascent all the way to see if it could do a better job. It seems the result was much the same for fuel, but it messed up the burn a little at Ap. See it here in all the full screen resolution glory. Oh, and the name of the craft is called "Helios"

Edited by bsalis

I can't believe that things worked... I think it might even work without the fuel glitch. Can I use that design and modify it a bit?

I just remembered I had the Daedulus mk1 posted here so if you want to download and modify there you go.

Guard13007, thanks for your screens and entertaining video of your innovatively constructed SSTO spaceplane. You definitely fulfilled the challenge and passed the test with flying colours, landing with great skill on a difficult terrain in the dark. So you undoubtedly deserve a place on the roll of honour aka the guest list.

^^ Thanks!

And thank-you too...!

Thanks also bsalis for the additional info, I have added your name with post link and craft name to the roll of honour aka guest list at the beginning of the thread. Building a spaceplane is trickier than it looks isnt it? Congratulations on your accomplishment and thanks for sharing it with the K Prize thread.

... I have added your name with post link and craft name to the roll of honour aka guest list at the beginning of the thread. Building a spaceplane is trickier than it looks isnt it?

Much thanks... and yes, an SSTO spaceplane isn't easy. You really have to focus on balance. It's strange, but when I started playing KSP my attitude to spaceplanes was a bit "meh", but now i'm hooked.

Just installed the fuel transfer mod and built a tanker truck. Have taken this SSTO up and down several times now in one mission...

7873338580_3ca3a79731_b.jpg

Well, I was going to revolutionize the spaceplane industry by retrofitting an older commercial plane of mine- in this case, a Learjet.

Think of the reduced costs!

In doing so, I turned an extremely stable design into a concrete brick.

The problem is, the thing goes crazy at about 13,000 meters, and I can't control it. :(

I'm fairly positive it could go into orbit and back, because there are still 5 tanks of rocket fuel, or about 2,000 liters.

Well, I don't know.

I'm relatively new to KSP, and have mainly just been doing intraplanetary stuff.

spacelineri.png

Edited by Coldie

Well, I was going to revolutionize the spaceplane industry by retrofitting an older commercial plane of mine- in this case, a Learjet.

Think of the reduced costs!

The problem is, the thing goes crazy at about 13,000 meters, and I can't control it. :(

I'm fairly positive it could go into orbit and back, because there are still 5 tanks of rocket fuel, or about 2,000 liters.

Well, I don't know.

I'm relatively new to KSP, and have mainly just been doing intraplanetary stuff.

spacelineri.png

The engine design is sound and 10 tons of fuel should easily get you to orbit and back in KSP.

Unfortunately most atmospheric craft are designed to only operate in an atmosphere where they are also flying against gravity and thus the center of thrust does not need to match the center of gravity. In space where gravity has a weaker grasp on objects having a center of thrust that doesn't match the center of gravity will spell disaster and cause crafts to tumble out of control.

Grats Suzaku, nice mission run and impressive control on the landing. Definitely deserving of an advanced pilot precision award. Since you gave us two videos and made a special request you can keep your gate crasher entry as per your request as well as be named on the guest list roll of honour.

Have you seen the video of the Exelion shuttle? :D

Also, I think the K-15 might be the new holder of the minimalist title.

Edited by Suzaku

The engine design is sound and 10 tons of fuel should easily get you to orbit and back in KSP.

Unfortunately most atmospheric craft are designed to only operate in an atmosphere where they are also flying against gravity and thus the center of thrust does not need to match the center of gravity. In space where gravity has a weaker grasp on objects having a center of thrust that doesn't match the center of gravity will spell disaster and cause crafts to tumble out of control.

Ooooh...does that mean that any designs considered "conventional" in commercial aircraft terms are horrible at SSTO?

Also, are there any nifty little programs that tell you where the center of gravity or center of thrust are located?

Ooooh...does that mean that any designs considered "conventional" in commercial aircraft terms are horrible at SSTO?

Also, are there any nifty little programs that tell you where the center of gravity or center of thrust are located?

Generally most Conventional or commercial aircraft will never function in orbit. In the upcoming versions there will be an indicator for center of gravity, but for now everyone just guesstimates where it's at.

I haven't managed to get a full sized machine working yet but my half scale machine does qualify:

9E0jC.jpg

Unimaginatively named the 'Fifty Tonner' (although it's probably closer to 60t in it's final form) it flies like a sack of potatoes and is best launched without the wings. However, with them still attached it does barely manage to avoid falling off the end of the runway and is just about stable enough to go vertical at 10km and fire the rockets. Power distribution is well balanced though, so it's a dream in orbit and with chutes on the bow and landing legs on the stern it'll waft gently back down, fully intact, and ready to terrify another pilot the next time it's launched.

And it does have sufficient chutes to land with a full weight of fuel in case you forgot to lock the hanger door before launching.

Full image gallery including orbit pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/AAnS4

Edited by EndlessWaves
readability

Alright, here we go.

This took me about 5 hours today and is actually my first space plane to actually break the atmosphere. It would have had more fuel after landing but I botched the reentry burn and almost fell short. I didn't get the chance to grab some landing in progress screenshots since I was too busy trying not to explode.

It also has an interesting bug where it tends to gain momentum while on the ground for no reason.

I present, the Piggy 1.

Download (5.92kb)

Sitting on the runway

screenshot0.png

A perfect takeoff into the sunrise

screenshot2.png

climbing

screenshot3.png

mucking about trying to get a circular orbit.

screenshot4.png

a (not so) circular orbit

screenshot5.png

Landed and taxied over to the hangar

screenshot6.png

next up, the even smaller Piggy 1/2, currently at 5.8t.

screenshot11.png

Edited by T2Cross

Suzaku my apologies, you were for a few fleeting days the unofficial v16 minimalist record holder, owing to my disarray thanks to a heavy cold I failed to update the thread at the critical juncture and now T2Cross has won it from you, but well played to both for your innovative designs. On catching up and looking over recent contributions I see you ninja'd a video into an earlier post which I must have just missed. Thanks for this record of your crafts journey to Minmus and graceful landing accompanied by an elevating musical score. Must admit I did lol at the end... Congratulations on your Astrokerbal Distinction.

T2Cross congratulations on completing the mission with Pygmy, you have unquestionably earned your place on the roll of honour aka the guest list and due to the exceedingly small size of the craft you have become the current minimalist record holder for v16.

bsalis your fuel transfer modding is true to the spirit of the K Prize and the fuel truck is a nice touch, so I have given it a special mention in the honours list. If you wanted to share some details that would be interesting eg how did you do it, did you hax the persistence file or do you have a better method?

SargeRho thanks very much for your video record of your flight and congratulations on completing the mission successfully with the very effective S1 Valkyrie. Also well done on achieving a landing so close to the KSC which qualifies you for the highly regarded Pilot Proficiency Medal.

EndlessWaves, that is a big ship with some interesting innovations for parachute assisted landing, in particular I cant help wondering if those landing struts might permit a Minmus landing, do you think? :wink: Anyway thanks for the mission photo record and congratulations on your crafts safe return which has earned you a place on the roll of honour.

Welcome to the party everyone. And you can be sure that Kay Kool has personally instructed the bouncers to treat all guests with the deference and respect due to aerospace experts and geeks extraordinaire....!

Commiserations Coldie on your engineering issues, making a spaceplane is a serious business (naaat!) sorry to hear the rumours about gate crashing. :cool: Good luck resolving the technical difficulties.

Edited by boolybooly

SargeRho thanks very much for your video record of your flight and congratulations on completing the mission successfully with the very effective S1 Valkyrie. Also well done on achieving a landing so close to the KSC which qualifies you for the highly regarded Pilot Proficiency Medal.

Yay \o/ Thanks!

Also congrats to everyone else :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.