SPH shot 836kg :P

woop 834 kg!! I did it!

From top to bottom its a:

Small Circular intake

Small Inline Reaction Wheel

Probodobyne QBE, KIS Chip, Mk12 radial mount parachute

Mk0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage, Z400 battery bank x4 Z-100 Battery bank x1

Juno Jet engine.

The whole thing is a bit smaller than the Nerv Atomic engine.

heheheh :sticktongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @ccoel, what are the fuel levels?

Also, NO ROCKET!? How can you get about 25000m with a Juno JET engine?

Also also, can we have a picture of it?

Also also also, 4 Z400s sounds like a waste.

Also also also also, no wings?

Also also also also also, I'm surprised by the lack of activity in this forum.

Edited by EliteGuy3

On 5/5/2017 at 5:47 PM, ccoel said:

woop 834 kg!! I did it!

From top to bottom its a:

Small Circular intake

Small Inline Reaction Wheel

Probodobyne QBE, KIS Chip, Mk12 radial mount parachute

Mk0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage, Z400 battery bank x4 Z-100 Battery bank x1

Juno Jet engine.

The whole thing is a bit smaller than the Nerv Atomic engine.

heheheh :sticktongue:

I call BS. That vehicle should not SSTO, emphasis on orbit. There are no vacuum engines, so how are you circularizing the orbit? Show pictures.

Edited by qzgy

3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I call BS. That vehicle should not SSTO, emphasis on orbit. There are no vacuum engines, so how are you circularizing the orbit? Show pictures

Same thoughts here. Checking BS detector...

Edited by EliteGuy3

6 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Also, I don't think the mass adds up. I'll have to check that, give me a sec.

So I quickly put all the parts together, and without reduced fuel levels or the "KIS Chip", it weighs 0.84t.

pFpsCYA.png

The radial parts create too much drag, even when clipped (because physicsless parts rules), during flight. BS detector detected positive.

Edited by EliteGuy3

2 minutes ago, EliteGuy3 said:

So I quickly put all the parts together, and without reduced fuel levels or the "KIS Chip", it weighs 0.84t.

pFpsCYA.png

Yeah same. And I don't even have the KIS chip.

5 minutes ago, cake>pie said:

I think that's a typo -- KER chip (for the engineer display), not KIS chip (which doesn't exist).

Oh ok. Thanks.

7 hours ago, EliteGuy3 said:

BS detector detected positive.

Bent the needle as soon as I saw the exhaust FX in the video. Not to mention the whole jet engine working outside the atmosphere bit (01:45)... That ain't no juno.
A juno jet engine producing 20KN at 70KM? Get off the grass. :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, EliteGuy3 said:

would does a KIS chip benefit?

Irrelevant, negligible mass, negligible aerodynamic effect.

Still not seeing how a juno can make orbit though... that thrust curve and all. Modified the engine much? :P

Edited by steve_v

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

Bent the needle as soon as I saw the exhaust FX in the video. Not to mention the whole jet engine working outside the atmosphere bit (01:45)... That ain't no juno.
A juno jet engine producing 20KN at 70KM? Get off the grass. :rolleyes:

Irrelevant, negligible mass, negligible aerodynamic effect.

Still not seeing how a juno can make orbit though... that thrust curve and all. Modified the engine much? :P

That video wasn't the submission. What he meant was that he has created something lighter craft than what was in the video. His submission was without any photos or videos.

14 hours ago, JYNg said:

That video wasn't the submission. What he meant was that he has created something lighter craft than what was in the video. His submission was without any photos or videos.

Ahh, Ok.

Still don't see how a juno can make orbit though..

On 5/17/2017 at 6:58 AM, steve_v said:

Ahh, Ok.

Still don't see how a juno can make orbit though..

It's dead simple:

1. Get a Mun encounter while you are still in the athmosphere on jet power

2. Achieve orbit by gravity assist

3. Figure out how to deorbit w/o orbital maneuvers :D

I don't buy the Juno jet story either though :P 

Edit: This would actually be a fun challenge but it's impossible with stock engines...

Edited by Fulgora

2 hours ago, Fulgora said:

It's dead simple:

1. Get a Mun encounter while you are still in the athmosphere on jet power

2. Achieve orbit by gravity assist

3. Figure out how to deorbit w/o orbital maneuvers :D

I don't buy the Juno jet story either though :P 

Edit: This would actually be a fun challenge but it's impossible with stock engines...

I'm actually getting good at #3!

RCS or even EVA RCS has saved me on a number of bad days, lately.

Hope @boolybooly checks back, soon...I needs my silly sig bling, man! :P

-Jn-

Congratulations to...

@JoeNapalm JoeNapalm Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Vampire Mk1 SSTO.

@JYNg JYNg Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Kaiser 4.

@Skylon Skylon Advanced Pilot Precision Award with STP-2 'Javelin' Trainer Spaceplane.

@EliteGuy3- with Corinthians I.

... for completing the K-Prize mission succesfully. Thankyou for your mission reports and welcome to the roll of honour aka the very exclusive K-Prize party guest list.

@Joseph Kerman nice looking craft but you need to make a mission report of some kind for us to know that you did the mission. Same goes for your report @ccoel which does not state that your craft completed a mission and given the objections above I will wait for your reply.

@Fulgora If you think about it using infinite fuel does count as refuelling so its a gatecrasher without a doubt but thanks for your honest report and if you are OK with it I will link it on the front page among other gatecrashers and other missions of infamy. Though I should also add that launching from a gantry has been done before and that was also a gatecrasher because the launch trajectory was not horizontal, as due to physics the craft dips on release no matter how powerful the engine if it is launched horizontally in mid air and not angled up. If you want to use that launch method then it has to meet the rules and plausibly launch horizontally, which would be all the more plausible if there was some graphical evidence to show how it works. :wink: You can expunge your gatecrasher if you so choose by completing the mission successfully.   

25 minutes ago, boolybooly said:

@Fulgora If you think about it using infinite fuel does count as refuelling so its a gatecrasher without a doubt but thanks for your honest report and if you are OK with it I will link it on the front page among other gatecrashers and other missions of infamy. Though I should also add that launching from a gantry has been done before and that was also a gatecrasher because the launch trajectory was not horizontal, as due to physics the craft dips on release no matter how powerful the engine if it is launched horizontally in mid air and not angled up. If you want to use that launch method then it has to meet the rules and plausibly launch horizontally, which would be all the more plausible if there was some graphical evidence to show how it works. :wink: You can expunge your gatecrasher if you so choose by completing the mission successfully.   

Hm didn't think about gantrys qualifying as gatecrasher... Dang - so I guess I will have to find a way to turn this into a monocyle for takeoff...

The deorbit was legit though - so all the infinite fuel did was saving me 20 minutes of physics warp buuut anyways, back to the drawing board ;-)

4 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

It was just a basic space tour. A simple orbit of 140000m up that is quite trivial. 

Yes, but take pictures for conclusive evidence.

9 hours ago, EliteGuy3 said:

Make sure to read the rules before entering a craft.

Also, @boolybooly, you should probably mention how gantries cause clipping and misalignment A.K.A no launch clamps.

No gantries whatsoever? O.o

Not even for stabilizing the craft at load and getting a kerbal in?

The rules have the simple intent of creating a level playing field for comparison of reusable spaceplane designs.

As far as I can see, clipping and alignment wouldn't break any of the K-Prize rules as long as they do not produce a kraken drive effect.

The stipulation about horizontal takeoff is to encourage spaceplane development as opposed to rocket (as is the no decoupling rule). 

With gantries, re decoupling, its much the same case as loading kerbals into a flight chair prior to lift off and dropping the command pod, they do not count as part of the craft and if you can find a way to launch horizontally using a gantry then fair is fair and ingenuity is always interesting.

@EliteGuy3 @Fulgora :cool:

Edited by boolybooly