The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

@boolybooly I'm not sure why I haven't posted this yet.

But I made a very large R.A.P.I.E.R. based cargo SSTO that can haul 1.5Kiloton to orbit with volume for 12m wide, 60m long cargo and only has 368 Parts which includes the cargo itself.
TBH, I assembled, resembled several typical space planes with various setups for maximum efficiency and I've worked on redesigns for months (not on end) to get it where it is.

Hearts Chevron 96 Cargo Lifter for the maximalist record.

McbTzMx.jpg

MTOW: 2.79 Kiloton (default default payload takeoff weight is 2.75 Kiloton)
It has a cargo payload fraction of up to 52% with proper piloting and one R.A.P.I.E.R. can carry 28.5 Ton.
Because of the size/weight versus it's cross section the space plane has incredible momentum and can therefore easily break past 400m/s at MTOW and reach ~1600m/s with the highest payload capacity.
It could in fact get past 400m/s in many instances using drag inducing parts.

There are also 2 other versions of the space plane with 2 fairing setups in case you have something that consists out of drag.
This could be a large space station, a module of that or a mothership or mothership module that isn't aerodynamic in and of itself.
I have a version with 2 x 5.5m fairings and one with a single 7.5m fairing on my KerbalX.
They are all more or less the same. The only difference is the cargo attachment point and the relative wing position for aerodynamic re-balance based on the fairing setup.

https://kerbalx.com/Aeroboi/Hearts-Chevron-96-Cargo-Lifter-2375MC (Picture above)
https://kerbalx.com/Aeroboi/Hearts-Chevron-96-Cargo-Lifter-75MC
https://kerbalx.com/Aeroboi/Hearts-Chevron-96-Cargo-Lifter-25MCP

Edited by Aeroboi

@Aeroboi thanks for sharing your large ship design. The mass you describe doubles the previous maximalist record which is a great achievement. The only snag is the K-Prize is a mission based challenge so an entry requires a mission report describing how the craft completed the mission and how it qualifies for kudos in that mission.

@KerbalRocket congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission successfully with Untitled Space Craft, (let me know if you want to give it a different name), thanks for you mission report and welcome to the roll of honour.

@A Random Kerbonaut bad luck but I hope you can find a way to make it work, it took me quite a few tries with the new game physics on my last attempt. If at first you dont succeed - iterate!

@boolybooly MTOW Mass = 2.797.278 Kg - 1.311.489 = 1.485.800 Kg (cargo)

1.485.800 Kg / 2.797.278 Kg =  0.531.
That's more then 53% payload fraction.

This is for the Maximalist record. The SSTO is only intended to bring cargo to orbit. This can be flown stock without mechjeb at MTOW.
I recommend 2x to 3x physical timewarp in flight for better control response. Use Action group 7 at highspeed for front spoiler for proper balance.

Pics.

1. gN2A03j.jpg

2.RIILZRo.jpg

3.TvARfNP.jpg

4.3T461tS.jpg

5.jaMBfJJ.jpg

6.Bqu0gvq.jpg

7.kYIVote.jpg

8.2uqCleE.jpg

9.OWcXAKL.jpg

10.Akcd38G.jpg

11.XsTyEEx.jpg

12.SAy9qq3.jpg

13.sSFCqy1.jpg

14. Roll to stop skipping wcsggrn.jpg

15.Uc6eVdx.jpg

16.KiuAPpe.jpg

17.vDsb6v5.jpg

Edited by Aeroboi

@Aeroboi congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission successfully with a really big bird, earning the maximalist record holder title and a well deserved utilitarial commendation and an advanced pilot precision award with Hearts Chevron 96 Cargo Lifter. Thanks for your mission report and welcome to the K-Prize roll of honour.

:)

• 1 month later...

My Entry:

It's nothing special (but it's unkerballed)

The Draconic Infernal:

uWE7Qa0.png

This Drone can reach orbit, using 1 Rapier Engine

(I used TweakScale for the Small Wing Tanks, Horizontal Stabilizers (I think), the Large Rear Tank and Large Internal Battery and Airplane Plus for the Structural Fuselage Junior, everything else is stock.)

It can fly for a reasonably long time, and at one point hit escape velocity.

It's initial TWR is near 0.87 while in Closed Cycle it is about 1.67 TWR

It packs JUST ENOUGH fuel to get to orbit and return, and fly for a bit more (20 seconds) in Air-Breathing mode after re-entry.

It cannot carry a payload but can be used as a military craft or a surveillance drone/probe/spaceplane using the BDAc Surveillance Pods and targeting camera

It takes a long time to reach the correct altitude with the Rapier, as the craft stays just under Mach 1 for most of it's ascent and then when you switch to Closed-Cycle, the party begins.

It reaches orbital velocity in under 2 minutes.

That's fast, right?

PS: You have to deploy the fairing during landing to let the nose gear extend, that was only discovered at the last minute.

Then it looks like this:

YBZAuKv.png

Not as sleek right?

Here is the evidence that I took this thing to orbit and back, WITHOUT REFUELING, of course.

Just after take-off:

luJ4tW1.png

Rear view:

Pp2lDYA.png

Leaving Troposphere:

sVM8iz0.png

Near Supersonic:

yqw4SRz.png

Before Hitting Orbital Velocity (Switched to Closed-Cycle):

ezo8d6X.png

Hit it:

iooS7J9.png

W3F18K2.png

OvPRkFE.png

Orbiting Kerbin!:

9KUB3J6.png

h5LV3ds.png

Deorbiting complete:

46R45OG.png

Reentry:

M9ojXSk.png

tFJsfuu.png

Slowing down:

Pth4F6J.png

msgnqsa.png

Getting ready For Landing:

2V19Psu.png

At this point I noticed the gear's wouldn't extend (goodbye fairing, welcome drag.) :(:

jo5mu3m.png

It still flew very well, and the drag helped in slowing down the craft.

The landing was very gentle, I would go as far to say I buttered it.

Out of fuel (Perfect speed for this landing):

QO9tOVY.png

Return of the Infernal:

YBZAuKv.png

Yes, It has 2 RTGs, I do go overkill on my crafts with RTGs. 

(one of them had 40+)

But, I did it!

yay.

I don't think this qualifies for any of the Kudos (If I am not mistaken, that is). 

But it completed the challenge, and this is the smallest SSTO I have built (as far as I am aware).

(The rest are just very efficient rockets with wings, air intakes, jet fuel fuselages and NERVA's slapped on)

We have a customer, quick put the kettle on!

Thanks for your detailed photo report @HyperDraco I like the understated but pointy and purposeful design.

Unfortunately ... :D ... there is a rule (#3) which states no modding which changes physics and Tweakscale alters part physics, Airplane Plus provides modded parts with modded physics. Also the decoupling rule (#1) applies to fairings because if I recall correctly they have a weight as well as an aerodynamic effect. Which means its a gatecrasher, yaaay!

Sorry but otherwise people can mod any part to do infinite anything so we have to stick to a standard for comparison. There is a sister thread for modded entries.

So I can give you a choice, either I list and link it as a gatecrasher with suitable quip, see list of infamy at the bottom of first post, or you can redeem your honour by completing the mission without breaking the rules, or you can delete your post and pretend it never happened but that would be sad. The choice is yours and you can take as long as you want. For example you could recreate the same design employing stock tanks and move the landing gear outside the fairing and Bob's your uncle, K-Prize winner, honour and glory and invitation to the K-Prize party await you.

What do you reckon? :)

Edited by boolybooly

2 hours ago, boolybooly said:

We have a customer, quick put the kettle on!

Thanks for your detailed photo report @HyperDraco I like the understated but pointy and purposeful design.

Unfortunately ... :D ... there is a rule (#3) which states no modding which changes physics and Tweakscale alters part physics, Airplane Plus provides modded parts with modded physics. Also the decoupling rule (#1) applies to fairings because if I recall correctly they have a weight as well as an aerodynamic effect. Which means its a gatecrasher, yaaay!

Sorry but otherwise people can mod any part to do infinite anything so we have to stick to a standard for comparison. There is a sister thread for modded entries.

So I can give you a choice, either I list and link it as a gatecrasher with suitable quip, see list of infamy at the bottom of first post, or you can redeem your honour by completing the mission without breaking the rules, or you can delete your post and pretend it never happened but that would be sad. The choice is yours and you can take as long as you want. For example you could recreate the same design employing stock tanks and move the landing gear outside the fairing and Bob's your uncle, K-Prize winner, honour and glory and invitation to the K-Prize party await you.

What do you reckon? :)

Right,

I choose the path of redemption.

I will modify the same craft (It may be a little less stylish) but, the rules are absolute, they will not be deviated from.

I will replace the small wing tanks with Oscar tanks, will change the Rear tank to the 2.5 meter tank or will change the fairing size and shape, and will keep the rudders the original size.

The Wheels shall be moved, and the fairing will not separate.

I am sorry and will strictly abide to the rules (it was an unintentional mistake).

PS: Can I just post 1 or 2 photos instead of an entire gallery? It's almost the same craft.

I will take photos whilst Taking off, Orbiting and after I have landed (hopefully successfully).

I will have my name on the roll of honor.

My resolved craft will be sent within 2 hours.

Thanks for your patience

Edit: I may take a longer as a problem had popped up, and it was crucial for me to resolve it.

Thanks for your patience.

Edited by HyperDraco

Sir,

I have done it, I have redeemed myself, with a fully stock craft.

The Draconic Infernal II

NOW IN 2.5 METER SIZE! 

AND MORE FUEL!

THIS WAS HORRIBLE TO FLY, BUT STILL HANDLED WELL ENOUGH.

I PERFORMED THE FLIGHT EXTREMELY QUICKLY SO I COULD FIT IT WITHIN THE ORIGINAL TIME CONSTRAINTS.

Takeoff:

a5hnmx4.png

Mid Flight:

NRYqy81.png

Orbiting (this thing was horrible to get to orbit.):

u3LI6Ur.png

kDSQzmr.png

Reentry:

RDwlX4M.png

TLrNl6j.png

Landing Approach (followed largely the same flight route. THIS WAS THE WORST PART OF THE FLIGHT, IT FLEW WORSE THAN A BRICK):

SHWvc5S.png

TOUCHDOWN!:

7HfZYnb.png

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was horrible to fly.

Edited by HyperDraco

In which case congratulations are in order @HyperDraco on completing the K-Prize mission successfully with the Draconic Infernal II. Consider yourself redeemed and fully entitled to wear the sig badge of your choice, since technically you did earn both (see OP link). Thanks for your mission reports and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour. Looks better with intact fairings IMHO. 

26 minutes ago, boolybooly said:

In which case congratulations are in order @HyperDraco on completing the K-Prize mission successfully with the Draconic Infernal II. Consider yourself redeemed and fully entitled to wear the sig badge of your choice, since technically you did earn both (see OP link). Thanks for your mission reports and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour. Looks better with intact fairings IMHO. 

Thank you, I finally feel successful in life.
I will use both badges as a sign of perseverance.
I agree with your opinion, it does look sleeker with the fairing.
Thank you for this challenge, it has been great and very difficult simultaneously.
I will complete your other challenge soon.

EDIT: It's way out of my league. Can you do me a favor and add my previous failed attempt with the original Infernal to the List of Infamy?
Thanks

Edited by HyperDraco

12 hours ago, HyperDraco said:

EDIT: It's way out of my league. Can you do me a favor and add my previous failed attempt with the original Infernal to the List of Infamy?
Thanks

Done!

That solar challenge is ancient history btw, the physics have changed since then, I link it in my sig for sentimental if not archeological reasons. 

3 hours ago, boolybooly said:

Done!

That solar challenge is ancient history btw, the physics have changed since then, I link it in my sig for sentimental if not archeological reasons. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification on that.

I thought it was best not to overcomplicate the kudos rules. I felt tseitsei89's craft was ingenious and deserves the record.

Any craft which can complete the mission is still worthy of a place on the guest list.

Also in case it is relevant FYI the precedent is that Kerbals can use a command seat without the capsule they spawned in being part of the K-Prize mission craft. 

Do we get bonus points for actually reusable cargo sstos? Cause I have one that has flown 14 missions to this point. 14 different payloads with the largest being an asteroid redirect craft weighing about 40t lofted into polar orbit. It also has an upperstage I can put in which has flown 3 times (i think?). I use a gantry crane to put it all together.

Ctl8rAf.jpg

n3qF4vh.jpg

ASqoKo4.jpg

03rQwDe.jpg

a6KwF4F.jpg

XsuCiGE.jpg

vQzu9nH.jpg

HzqYBYy.jpg

@Dman Revolution very impressive gantry crane. The precedent for this is that multiple missions flown with the same craft can have a multiplier added to the kudos eg "x3".

However each mission must conform to the K-Prize rules to count. Refuelling on Kerbin between missions is OK but not offworld according to the rules. Your text based report is good enough as we are on the honour system and you can do the math as to how many missions count within the K-Prize rules but please consider the rules in the first post e.g. no  modded parts on the plane, only stock. Gantry doesnt matter, that can be modded but also atmospheric physics must be stock etc so participants can compare like for like over the course of a mission. Also you cannot add parts to the craft used for thrust or lift for one mission and not for another mission without breaking the continuity of the "x3" or "xn" total regarding the exceptional mission, i.e. only identical craft configurations count toward the total but payloads can vary as by definition they do not assist the propulsion.

Hope that explains, happy to answer any questions you may have.

13 hours ago, boolybooly said:

@Dman Revolution very impressive gantry crane. The precedent for this is that multiple missions flown with the same craft can have a multiplier added to the kudos eg "x3".

However each mission must conform to the K-Prize rules to count. Refuelling on Kerbin between missions is OK but not offworld according to the rules. Your text based report is good enough as we are on the honour system and you can do the math as to how many missions count within the K-Prize rules but please consider the rules in the first post e.g. no  modded parts on the plane, only stock. Gantry doesnt matter, that can be modded but also atmospheric physics must be stock etc so participants can compare like for like over the course of a mission. Also you cannot add parts to the craft used for thrust or lift for one mission and not for another mission without breaking the continuity of the "x3" or "xn" total regarding the exceptional mission, i.e. only identical craft configurations count toward the total but payloads can vary as by definition they do not assist the propulsion.

Hope that explains, happy to answer any questions you may have.

Yup, got all that. Guess I should explicitly mentioned that, huh?

Full stock part and atmo. Only refueled on the surface using a mining vehicle. No modifications were made to the ship beyond payload configuration. The most vehicle effecting payload I've used was a 4crew hab and half size 2.5m fuel take I used to take it around the mun on a flyby. That's counted in in the number of missions I gave you. It hasn't been recovered since I first started that count.

Yes, without descending into OCD madness @Dman Revolution it is necessary to be a bit precise and specific in relation to the mission achievements because in order for a report to be a report it has to say how a mission achieved the K-Prize objectives.

There have been regrettable instances of gatecrashers trying to sweet talk their way into the K-Prize party, fortunately the bouncers are not easily fooled but nobody is infallible. :cool: 

In order to add the party guest list listing with appropriate kudos and multiplier, based on what you have told me so far, I would be grateful if you could tell me ...

1.  Name of craft?

2.  Did the craft land and take off at the runway every time x14 ? (Counts for the Advanced Pilot Precision Award).

3.  Did the craft reach orbit >70km PE every time and land safely without losing parts x14 ?

4.  Did the craft carry a payload to Kerbin orbit and release it every time X14 ? (Counts towards the Utilitarial Commendation.)

5.  In the example you gave of the hab, I cannot tell from your explanation whether the hab has its own engine, or whether the hab tank was used to power the craft. Please clarify.

PS I like the jeep and mobile ramp, nice details! :)

Edited by boolybooly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.