The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

10 hours ago, boolybooly said:

Yes, without descending into OCD madness @Dman Revolution it is necessary to be a bit precise and specific in relation to the mission achievements because in order for a report to be a report it has to say how a mission achieved the K-Prize objectives.

There have been regrettable instances of gatecrashers trying to sweet talk their way into the K-Prize party, fortunately the bouncers are not easily fooled but nobody is infallible. :cool: 

In order to add the party guest list listing with appropriate kudos and multiplier, based on what you have told me so far, I would be grateful if you could tell me ...

1.  Name of craft?

2.  Did the craft land and take off at the runway every time x14 ? (Counts for the Advanced Pilot Precision Award).

3.  Did the craft reach orbit >70km PE every time and land safely without losing parts x14 ?

4.  Did the craft carry a payload to Kerbin orbit and release it every time X14 ? (Counts towards the Utilitarial Commendation.)

5.  In the example you gave of the hab, I cannot tell from your explanation whether the hab has its own engine, or whether the hab tank was used to power the craft. Please clarify.

PS I like the jeep and mobile ramp, nice details! :)

1. I would give you a better name, but as a joke the actual craft file is titled "_________Skylon" cause I needed to drag it to the top. It was never actually at the top and now my spaceplane hanger's craft list is a huge excrements storm of "__________________________________________________untitled space craft". Or you can just call it explorer since I renamed it after I put it on the runway the first time.

2. I started flying this back in December. If I remember correctly it has landed at the runway every time. The previous version started at the normal cape then fly over to the desert after a mission though!

3. Yup (ignoring some quicksaves on landing and turning to the correct inclination, as its a massive chungus soooooooo. The runway is 6 degrees inclined so I have to fly to the equator, for some reason the wings would rip off on earlier missions. I wasnt pulling many g's either :huh:)

4. Does it necessarily have to release it? I have one payload thats specifically for carrying crew to my space station/deep space ships. I have used it once, but it still sitting unrecovered on its original truck near my gantry.

5. So that is literally a docking port, a hab and a fuel tank. No engines, no deployment, only fueled on the ground. It just used the extra fuel to do the mun flyby. It was also originally designed to help refuel deep space vehicles.

Here's some pictures on orbit after it completed some missions:

Duna Satellites:

vubWZzw.jpg

This was a 2 mission set where one was to carry a satellite and an adapter and the second was to carry the second satellite. Thats what you see in the middle of the large spacecraft in this image (2 launches)

Mun Transport (Abandoned):

ANvYbwI.jpg

Built this entire vehicle. The lander attached at the top was originally designed as the main propulsion and transfer element. After design of a larger more capable vehicle this vehicle was left in orbit abandoned. (4 launches)

Untitled Mission:

nHNIHpA.jpg

Don't remember what this was but this has both the new upperstage (top right with 2 cheetahs. payload is attached to it then the whole thing is deployed. The upperstage does a spacex like boostback burn to rendezvous with the skylon) and that hab (Middle right) bit that was in question.

Edit: I will be adding more to this in a few minutes with a few pics of the current launch complex

Current Complex:

4v2u5XQ.jpg

wJCyrwG.jpg

New Arm Payload

YN0OiZy.jpg

This is still in the design phase and has yet to fly. Im planning for it to be removable and for it to be put in alongside a regular payload. Its using krakentech ball joints and a BG servo.

Edited by Dman Revolution

On 6/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, Dman Revolution said:

Also my full mission log for this thing. Ive been keeping the reciepts:

ESF:ST-1:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Joe
        Wilski
    Payload:
        Spacetug 2 (flight 1), 2 Kerbnet sats
    Mission:
        Add 2 satellites to polar orbit in the main Kerbnet constellation
    Conclusion:
        Full success
    Notes:
        When landing try to line about 10-15 ground km away from the runway. Don't want to risk having to roll into position like on this mission.

ESF-2:
    Crew:
        Jebeny
        Jessen
        Wilski
        Rodlock
        Carely
        Seegard
        Kimlo
        Kager
        Sukin
        Jormin
    Payload:
        Cupola Module - Built
    Mission:
        Bring 10 crew to the Independance Space Staion and bring up a new Cupola Module to replace the old one
    Conclusions:
        Flight to inclination: Successful
        Orbit: Successful
        Rendezvous: Successful
        Docking: Successful
        Payload Mission: Successful
        Undocking: Successful
        Reentry: Successful
        Landing: Safe, but very hard landing
    Notes:
        NEED TO LINE UP LANDING FURTHER OUT.
        RESET HEAVIEST PART AUTOSTRUT ONCE IN ORBIT

ESF-3:
    Crew:
        Jebeny
        Jessen
        Carely
        Jormin
    Payload:
        DSS-1, kickstage and payload adapter to DT-2 - Built
    Mission:
        Dock with DT-2 and attach the payload adapter, kickstage and DSS-1 to the payload area
    Conclusions:
        Payload Mission: Partial Success
        Landing: Successful
    Notes:
        Launch DSS-2 with a new payload adpater. Make sure it can undock before launch.
        NEED TO LINE UP LANDING FURTHER OUT.

ESF-4:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Sukin
        Seegard
        Rodlock
    Payload:
        DSS-2 and kickstage to DT-2 - Built    NEW PAYLOAD ADAPTER
    Mission:
        Dock with DT-2 and attach the payload adapter, kickstage and DSS-2 to the payload area
    Conclusions:
        Flight to inclination: Partial Success
        Docking: N/A Fuel Warning
        Payload Mission: Success
        Undocking: N/A no docking attempted
    Notes:
        1. When reentering keep entry far North of launch center, then turn to land at runway. Will allow for easy lineup on landing
        2. WATCH THROTTLE WHEN CRUISING TO INCLINATION.

ESF-5:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Seegard
        Rodlock
    Payload:
        Orion CSM - Built
    Mission:
        Dock with DT-2 and Dock the Orion CSM to the front node
    Conclusions:
        Flight to inclination: Successful (WATCH G-FORCE)
        Landing: PERFECT
    Notes:
        To land nicely dont change inclination fully until close to lining up with runway.

ESF-X: (TBD)-Cancelled
    Crew:
        TBD
    Payload:
        36t Fuel Tank - Built
    Mission:
        Top off the DT-2's tanks
    Conclusions:
        Flight to inclination:
        Rendezvous:
        Docking:
        Payload Mission:
        Undocking:
        Reentry:
        Landing:
    Notes:
        TBD

ESF-6:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Seegard
        Rodlock
    Payload:
        Extended Habitation Module (EHM) - Built
    Mission:
        Test EHM on flight around kerbin in preperation for crew return missions
        Extended Mission test: Flyby of the moon. Successful flyby.
    Conclusions:
        Rendezvous: N/A
        Docking: N/A
        Undocking: N/A
    Notes:
        If on short final and need to roll, enable roll on the outermost control surfaces.

ESF-7:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Seegard
        Rodlock
    Payload:
        Minmus Comms Sat
        Spacetug 2 (flight 2)
    Mission:
        Add a satellite to minmus station's orbit to allow for constant connection
    Conclusions:
        Rendezvous: N/A
    Notes:
        set strim higher than level on landing                                                  (Did I forget to mention this thing flys in atmo purely with trim? SAS is only used in orbit)

ESF-8:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Rodlock
        Carely
    Payload:
        Mun Transport Fueltank
    Mission:
        Continue construction of the Mun Transport ship
    Conclusions:
    Notes:
        An undershoot is easier to deal with than an overshoot. Slower tha landing the better.

ESF-9:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Rodlock
        Seegard
    Payload:
        Mun Transport Hab and Docking Module
    Mission:
        Continue construction of the Mun Transport ship
    Conclusions:
        Landing: Perfect
    Notes:
        Come in flat way sooner and let the vehicle lay out. Touchdown must occur before, at or just after phys load of gantry. If after then go around will be necessary.

ESF-10:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Rodlock
        Seegard
    Payload:
        Orion MPCV
    Mission:
        Finish construction of the Mun Transport ship
    Conclusions:
    Notes:
        Smooth landing

ESF-11:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Rodlock
        Seegard
    Payload:
        Spacetug 2 (flight 3)
        Asteroid redirect kit
        total mass: ~40t
    Mission:
        Put Spacetug 2 into polar orbit with the asteroid redirect kit.
        Redirect asteroid ZZC-421 to polar orbit around kerbin
        Bonus mission: change inclination to 0 degrees if asteroid size prohibits.
    Conclusions:
        Payload Mission: Failure
        Landing: Perfect
    Notes:
        Asteroid plot gave wrong time. Recatured the Spacetug 2 and Asteroid kit. Will refuel and relaunch ASAP to prepare for the asteroid.

ESF-12:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Rodlock
        Seegard
    Payload:
        Spacetug 2 (flight 4)
        Asteroid redirect kit
        total mass: ~40t
    Mission:
        Put Spacetug 2 into polar orbit with the asteroid redirect kit.
        Redirect asteroid ZZC-421 to polar orbit around kerbin
        Bonus mission: change inclination to 0 degrees if asteroid size prohibits.
    Conclusions:
    Notes:
        None

ESF-13:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Rodlock
        Seegard
    Payload:
        None
    Mission:
        Return Spacetug 2
    Conclusions:
        Payload Mission: N/A
    Notes:
        TBD

Oops guess it was only 13 flight  :blush:

@Dman Revolution thankyou very much for your detailed logs and further screenshot reports of the flight of the Explorer. Congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission at least thirteen times and the K-Prize committee unanimously backed the chairpersons motion for a discretionary HyperCycle award for extraordinary services to reusability. Well played, thanks for sharing and welcome to a well deserved place on the K-Prize roll of honour aka party guest list. 

Regarding the multiplier totals...

Dman Revolution discretionary HyperCycle award for extraordinary services to reusability with logs.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award x12, 1st Class x6, Utilitarial Commendation x12 with Explorer.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award, Kosmokerbal Commendation (Mün) with Explorer EHM.

Mission ESF-6 to the Mün with the EHM counts as a different craft configuration due to the extra fuel tank.

I am interpreting the log for ESF-12 as a simple payload drop and assume it refers to docking between the asteroid and the payload kit, not between the craft and a station, unless the craft was used to move the asteroid using the kit in which case did it use extra fuel tanks? If so it is a distinct config and I need to change kudos to reflect that. Please advise.

ESF-13 return payload mission is being treated as a Utilitarial Commendation (and APPA 1st Class) based on the rules for mined ore return to Kerbin.

12 hours ago, boolybooly said:

@Dman Revolution thankyou very much for your detailed logs and further screenshot reports of the flight of the Explorer. Congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission at least thirteen times and the K-Prize committee unanimously backed the chairpersons motion for a discretionary HyperCycle award for extraordinary services to reusability. Well played, thanks for sharing and welcome to a well deserved place on the K-Prize roll of honour aka party guest list. 

Regarding the multiplier totals...

Mission ESF-6 to the Mün with the EHM counts as a different craft configuration due to the extra fuel tank.

I am interpreting the log for ESF-12 as a simple payload drop and assume it refers to docking between the asteroid and the payload kit, not between the craft and a station, unless the craft was used to move the asteroid using the kit in which case did it use extra fuel tanks? If so it is a distinct config and I need to change kudos to reflect that. Please advise.

ESF-13 return payload mission is being treated as a Utilitarial Commendation (and APPA 1st Class) based on the rules for mined ore return to Kerbin.

Should I keep you guys updated with future missions? It takes me a very long time to design, integrate and fly payloads, let alone complete large multilaunch missions, so it won't be all that often.

For example, I did end up testing that arm I showed off in a previous post last night on ESF-14. I had to actually integrate 2 payloads, deintegrate both, then reintegrate them since that initial arm I showed didnt fit like I wanted it to. Ended up taking me about 5 hours in total for the whole mission.

Heres the initial integration:

vej7tQo.jpg

YMmXwl2.jpg

WxdYr5U.jpg

mdMgdJ8.jpg

zeG1Y1M.jpg

YQbQwC5.jpg

The mission log:

ESF-14:
    Crew:
        Jessen
        Jebney
        Rodlock
        Seegard
    Payload:
        KerbalArm Skylon
        Demo Payload
    Mission:
        Test the KerbalArm Skylon by manuevering the Demo payload to the Skylon's main docking port, then back into the payload bay
    Conclusions:
        Landing: Relatively hard. Touchdown @ 70m/s. Keep speed higher, but same landing profile
    Notes:
        Don't exceed 10t payload with the arm. It is very wonky to move around with payloads as large as the Demo payload.
        New Flight profile researched. May allow for larger payloads/ smaller payloads to deep space. In a simulation (quicksave and quickload)
        it was discovered that this new flight profile allowed for Explorer to rearch Munar SOI with around 20t of payload.

And some pictures in space:

quYPElH.jpg

oUOCc9o.jpg

Bn2Arvk.jpg

There weren't any payloads actually deployed so idk how that fits, but I did maneuver this test payload around for a bit

Oh, and then I completely rebuilt my gantry crane. New version works the best out of any I've used so far. Its symmetry use is wayyyy better than the previous version, so its wayyyyyy smoother.

8zi4sYZ.jpg

Also, for anyone wondering why this doesn't perform all my launches, its because I find this bad boy much more entertaining: (Again, completely stock parts)

FhOm6ds.jpg

@Dman Revolution you are very welcome to make reports here as the K-Prize is all about reusability and what you are doing is an appropriate match and takes it to the next level. I feel sure many other contributors and readers will be interested. So if you are willing please do.

I will find ways to link each report on the front page so people understand what they can look at. 

wrt rules, technically the above is a unique config because of the arm module even if it released the tank (which I understand it didnt). But it looks like another K-Prize winner so congratulations once again.

The shuttle looks very convincing btw.

Edited by boolybooly

19 minutes ago, boolybooly said:

@Dman Revolution you are very welcome to make reports here as the K-Prize is all about reusability and what you are doing is an appropriate match and takes it to the next level. I feel sure many other contributors and readers will be interested. So if you are willing please do.

I will find ways to link each report on the front page so people understand what they can look at. 

wrt rules, technically the above is a unique config because of the arm module even if it released the tank (which I understand it didnt). But it looks like another K-Prize winner so congratulations once again.

The shuttle looks very convincing btw.

The arm module counts as a unique config? There was no modification to the flight characteristics of the vehicle. The Fuel tanks was a dummy payload with all its tanks locked. Just for future reference, what counts as a unique config besides fuel usage and engines? Cause at the end of the day this flight ended up no different than any previous one

A multiplier is only appropriate for repeat flights of the exact same craft, as any change to the base craft can effect thrust to weight ratios etc.

Otherwise each successful K-Prize variant deserves its own listing. Hence your latest mission was listed as Skylon-KerbalArm and not merely +1 to the x12.

Edited by boolybooly

1 minute ago, boolybooly said:

A multiplier is only appropriate for repeat flights of the exact same craft.

Otherwise each successful K-Prize variant deserves its own listing. Hence your latest mission was listed as Skylon-KerbalArm and not merely +1 to the x12.

So if everything I integrate into the bay isnt released as payload it counts as a different variant?

1 minute ago, Dman Revolution said:

So if everything I integrate into the bay isnt released as payload it counts as a different variant?

Yup, has to be. All it effects is the multiplier protocol, doesn't disqualify the flight.

I wanted to test a plane and see if I could get the altitude record. Is escape trajectory legal?

VGBvdxL.jpg

1pgl3d6.jpg

Ah, sorry forgot the stuff lol

Name: Deep Space

Its never coming back lol this is purely for the altitude record

• 1 month later...

oooo this competition looks active @_@ and I just made a SSTO! Is just pics ok? I'd usually make a vid but my current laptop cant edit them so it would be boring as all hell. (hmm seems like people have been using pics, so cool I will be right back XD)

K Prize entry!: @boolybooly

Spoiler

Kicking tha tyres and lightn tha fires ^.^ 

1.png

2.png

70,000!!!!!!!! and 1 for good luck XD

3.png

4.png

Headin home :3

5.png

6.png

Aerobraknz

7.png

8.png

The secret to a soft landing ;3

9.png

10.png

Edited by Guest

Hi @Dale Christopher, yes this thread lives on!

Screeny mission reports are very welcome. 

Even text reports are permissible, regarding which, if you would like to supply the name of the craft I will add it to the K-Prize listing, otherwise I will invent one :D 

So ... congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission to the letter with an interesting VSTOL design with rotating rear thruster. Thanks for your mission report and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

Congratulations @Reinhart Mk.1 on your good taste in piano music and on completing the K-Prize mission and with the help of a plethora of parachutes and some interesting reentry manoeuvres earning the highly regarded accolade of...

- Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Duna), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Javelin Mk.1

Thankyou for your video mission report and welcome to the K-Prize roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list ;)

Edited by boolybooly

4 hours ago, boolybooly said:

Congratulations @Reinhart Mk.1 on your good taste in piano music and on completing the K-Prize mission and with the help of a plethora of parachutes and some interesting reentry manoeuvres earning the highly regarded accolade of...

- Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Duna), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Javelin Mk.1

Thankyou for your video mission report and welcome to the K-Prize roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list

Thank you Booly! It was fun participating :D

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations @Lokachop on taking on and completing the K-Prize mission successfully with SSOrbiter MK1. Thankyou for your mission report and welcome to the roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list.

It makes sense to reduce the lift off weight by removing fuels you will not be using.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed it did @arctangent and a good job too since in space, noone can hear your propellers... whirring...

:D 

Congratulations are in order for adroit use of RAPIER engine technology to bring a satellite plus spectators into Kerbin orbit thus completing the K-Prize challenge with added kudos for landing on the KSC runway. 

Your mission report has been listed with a Utilitarial Commendation and an Advanced Pilot Precision Award for the flight of Aleph III.

Many thanks for participating and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour. Feel free to grab a badge and wear it with pride if you so wish (link is under the big logo on the first page).

Edited by boolybooly

Thanks!

2 hours ago, boolybooly said:

in space, noone can hear your propellers... whirring...

They're pretty quiet on Kerbin too tbh :wink:

(The prop version went to Eve, technically it was an SSTO but it refueled in LKO and decoupled the nacelles and is never going to return, so definitely not a K Prize candidate)

Edited by arctangent