The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

9 hours ago, A Nicheling said:

Here is my first attempt!

The plane is very basic and not very outstanding but I hope it works.

https://imgur.com/a/boaJWF9

Hi, thanks for submitting a mission report to the K-Prize @A Nicheling, I have to ask if that was an orbit or suborbital flight?

This is because there is no confirmation of orbit in your post and the velocities shown in the screenshots are consistent with a suborbital hop to the edge of space, like Virgin Galactic. Is that right?

To explain, an orbit means going fast enough so that the PE (lowest point) is above 70,000m and the ship can keep going around Kerbin indefinitely, like the International Space Station. If you look at the rules on the first page of this thread, rule #2 describes this FYI.

Let me know if the flight did make orbit or if you  want to try again. :) 

Edited by boolybooly

2 hours ago, boolybooly said:

Hi, thanks for submitting a mission report to the K-Prize @A Nicheling, I have to ask if that was an orbit or suborbital flight?

This is because there is no confirmation of orbit in your post and the velocities shown in the screenshots are consistent with a suborbital hop to the edge of space, like Virgin Galactic. Is that right?

To explain, an orbit means going fast enough so that the PE (lowest point) is above 70,000m and the ship can keep going around Kerbin indefinitely, like the International Space Station. If you look at the rules on the first page of this thread, rule #2 describes this FYI.

Let me know if the flight did make orbit or if you  want to try again. :) 

Oh, sorry. Im such a noob, I thought that the plane had to reach at least 70km. Then I failed the challenge, I need to try it again.

In which case I am pleased to confirm a successful K-Prize mission!

Congratulations @A Nicheling on  orbiting with Goldfish and landing safely on Kerbin to earn K-Prize certification. Thanks for your mission report and welcome to the K-Prize roll of honour, aka the K-Prize party guest list.

Feel free to copy paste the badge into your sig if you so wish. (See account settings > signature.)

Edited by boolybooly

• 1 month later...

What an extraordinarily efficient design @camacju .

Congratulations on completing the K-Prize successfully with a mission earning the unusual kudos of Advanced Pilot Precision Award x5!

Thanks for your mission report and welcome back to the K-Prize roll of honour.

11 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Here's my second submission: Bactrian Salvage. I don't want to spoil the story. It's all in the Imgur album with captions.

Thanks for keeping the K-prize alive.

Thanks, you are welcome, glad you are enjoying it, everyone needs a hobby!

Congratulations on completing the K-Prize successfully with the Bactrian Salvage SSTO named for the camel I take it? (Which name I took from the imgur post title but can shorten it if you would like.) Also *SPOILER* for displaying missioneering ingenuity and careful management of risks in accomplishing two career salvage missions in one launch and returning to land safely on KSC runway thus earning the kudos of an Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class for docking in orbit and landing on the runway as well as an Utilitarial Commendation for salvage from orbit (x2). 

Thanks for your mission report in the form of a screenshot story and welcome back to the K-Prize party guest list.

P.S. I realised I had not awarded the APPA you were due for orbital docking in your first mission, sorry for that, which has now been corrected.

13 hours ago, boolybooly said:

named for the camel I take it

Yes, specifically the kind with 2 humps.  It was inspired more by the 747 Space Shuttle carrier. 

Which name I took from the imgur post title but can shorten it if you would like

Actually, I  just settled on "Bactrian Salvager"  to follow the goofy mod naming trend (scatterer, chatterer...)

I had not awarded the APPA you were due

Thanks for that

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

That is a peculiar design. :)

You are not the first to say I had an odd challenge submission.  :P Perhaps I feel I need to do unusual things because I just started playing last year and there is already so much that has been done before... or that's just my excuse for being naturally weird. :confused:

Weird is allowed.

*bangs gavel* @camacju having flagrantly broken the K-Prize rules by blatantly submitting a mission report for a VTOL rocket "Untitled Space Craft" to a spaceplane challenge, the K-Prize commitee feel compelled to award the dubious dishonour of gatecrasher to add to your many achievements. FYI all previous achievements stand and technically exhonerate you from receiving a gatecrasher listing but since you went the extra mile to break the rules and submit a report it seems only fair to give the mission its own special gatecrasher listing with bespoke quip and confirm you are entitled to display the appropriate gatecrasher badge if you so choose, since that would appear to have been the object of the exercise. ;) 

All for fun and fun for all!

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to lengthen my already unusually long K-Prize achievment list:

te3Tdkd.png

...with this mission. In an attempt to get the utilitarial distinction bonus, in addition to another adv. pilot proficiency, I flew a spaceplane to Ike, collected 75 units of ore, and returned them to the KSC runway.

So... @tosha do you want a gatecrasher? . . . :D

Save file edit counts as modding IMHO and refining rules you know about, though its perfectly legit to pick up ore and transport it as payload, even refine it, as long as you dont use the fuel created which I am gathering was the case with this mission. 

16 hours ago, boolybooly said:

So... @tosha do you want a gatecrasher? . . . :D

Save file edit counts as modding IMHO and refining rules you know about, though its perfectly legit to pick up ore and transport it as payload, even refine it, as long as you dont use the fuel created which I am gathering was the case with this mission. 

yeah, I'll take a gatecrasher. I probably should have read the clarifications on rule 1 before this flight

On 4/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, tosha said:

yeah, I'll take a gatecrasher. I probably should have read the clarifications on rule 1 before this flight

Probably! Hehe, very well, here is your bespoke quip ! :cool:

tosha told reporters  that hacking the KASA mainframe was only to assist a refuelling maneuver, was very sorry it broke a rule but felt its easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

The time has come to redeem my K-prize reputation!

In this mission, I extract 75 units of ore from Minmus, and get the back to the KSC runway (barely)

No ISRU was used this time, nor save file editing.

Oh, and an important note that I put in the video description but forgot to put here

The refinery on the craft was NOT used, it's just there since this craft is actually a WIP Jool 5 ssto, which will involve ISRU

@tosha please consider your reputation on the K-Prize party guest list redeemed. :D

Congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission successfully with Comet-Nickel and bringing a payload of ore back to Kerbin runway from Minmus to earn the kudos of the much sought after (often missed) Advanced Pilot Precision Award as well as the highly regarded Utilitarial Distinction. Welcome back to the K-Prize party guest list, aka the roll of honour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.