cYhuyPS.jpg

in72sn4.jpg

mPKvPen.jpg

Approach and landing

Spoiler

JZUA0nP.jpg

PAUX2CT.jpg

SKtLwKn.jpg

Congratulations  once again @OJT on successfully completing the K-Prize challenge and landing the functional, effective and instructively named PLEN GO UP on Minmus before returning to land safely at KSC runway.

Your mission earned the prestigious award of an Astrokerbal Distinction as well as the highly regarded Advanced Pilot Precision Award to add to your extensive trophy cabinet.

- Advanced Pilot Precision Award,  Astrokerbal Distinction (Minmus) with PLEN GO UP.

Thanks for your mission report and welcome back to the K-Prize party guest list aka the K-Prize roll of honour.

Introducing PLEN GO DUN

sPjyMsD.jpg

BDiSQOQ.jpg

Ascent is as usual. Ignore the wrong name in first couple of pictures: this plane was initially a failed "SSTO to Moho" concept and while making changes for Duna trip I forgot to rename it. I did rename it when I got to orbit

Spoiler

CbKcufn.jpg

mCujY7q.jpg

HjlJ1Nl.jpg

q3QqlGu.jpg

I17hxA6.jpg

Travelling to Duna. Transfer burn was split into several parts

Spoiler

PQ0yFRQ.jpg

iYpYf62.jpg

iu5Ee0w.jpg

Approaching Duna, about to aerobrake

2eWAHAV.jpg

I did two aerobrakes, one to capture into Duna orbit and another one to get into suborbital trajectory

Spoiler

G28EKKD.jpg

Yx1Byxn.jpg

l2KvC0G.jpg

I picked a spot to land: a huge plain near equator which is barely above the Duna Sea Level, so air is thick enough to get lift on wings

Spoiler

36dIcV3.jpg

kAoEKq7.jpg

My visual mods meant that there was what I could only describe as a dust storm at my landing site so visibility was not great. After a bit of gliding I raised my nose a bit to reduce descent speed as much as I could

Spoiler

Z2Y7veI.jpg

As soon as wheels touched the surface I engaged the brakes and slowed down

Spoiler

gXuRxWb.jpg

QBuw7kz.jpg

And here we are! No Airbrakes, no parachutes, no reverse thrust, ultimate flex

1aRM3G2.jpg

VWpghqF.jpg

Takeoff and ascent back to Duna orbit

Spoiler

avpJFju.jpg

X17LGqi.jpg

wGTuyJS.jpg

PApmK15.jpg

soFCtQg.jpg

fCAcioo.jpg

Returning to Kerbin after waiting for transfer window

Spoiler

iBZQUqi.jpg

x5wUOGi.jpg

V63h3Zz.jpg

Two aerobrakes bring me into a suborbital trajectory

Spoiler

6BNHTFy.jpg

Dj3vLGt.jpg

3PscWlA.jpg

After slowing down enough I point prograde and glide until I reach the KSC. I had to briefly engage the engines on the way

Spoiler

zu119lT.jpg

hdmpq3R.jpg

8lNG4QD.jpg

ugMhS9a.jpg

Approaching KSC

Spoiler

RYc1dbE.jpg

M0PLpKU.jpg

C0fCSKK.jpg

Smooth landing

Spoiler

rFL3dHK.jpg

SSybodC.jpg

AHYdPw7.jpg

Jeb sends his regards

Kgq5FP2.jpg

Congratulations @OJT on successfully taking the K-Prize to the next level and earning the prestigious Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction for landing the sleek but controversially named PLEN GO DUN on Duna and the highly regarded Advanced Pilot Precision Award for returning to Kerbin and landing safely on the KSC runway.

Thanks again for your mission report and welcome back to the K-Prize party guest list, aka the roll of honour.

Edited by boolybooly

Time for another "Kerbalized" replica. This time it is XB70

Jb70m5j.jpg

w8Q3Hvp.jpg

Initially I build the atmospheric version with 6 Panthers to test the in-flight stability and, seeing that it worked, I scrambled an SSTO version with 4 RAPIERs and 2 NERVAs

Ascent to orbit was a bit tricky due to low heat tolerance of Mk1 Cockpit. First part of the ascent was at relatively steep angle: high TWR from RAPIERs allowed me to raise the periapsis high enough while gaining good speed. After that I continued with NERVAs all the way into orbit. I actually was briefly falling back into the thicker atmosphere at one point, but we made it in the end

Spoiler

DmqGYSK.jpg

xdqBh5t.jpg

99ZT6ld.jpg

jMKFRd0.jpg

gAKUPBI.jpg

zijx1OY.jpg

Nd5IZvM.jpg

nYQOdc8.jpg

QTiJ2Fs.jpg

After reaching orbit we are descending back down and landing on KSC runway

Spoiler

HEAKE3O.jpg

10U8r5h.jpg

g6mmHjW.jpg

uCs7LA6.jpg

4wlGXfF.jpg

C7d9MR1.jpg

YttH3iE.jpg

At this point I have enough backstage passes to sell some off on the Internet for a quick buck :ph34r:

Well that is at least a minibus full by now @OJT ! 

Congratulations once again on completing the K-Prize with the elite looking XB70 Valkyrie SSTO, convincing replica of the mach3 nuclear bomber prototype.

The mission earned an advanced pilot precision award for reaching orbit and returning to land safely at KSC runway.

Thankyou for your mission report and welcome back to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a fully stock rocket-plane I'd like to show, but I need to do a little more testing for the full mission run-through. It is meant to fly to orbit, dock to a fuel station and refuel, fly to Gilly and land there, and then fly home. As refueling is not allowed, I way just fly to the station, not transfer any fuel, and head back down. I've only tested a vertical launch, but it should be able to have a runway launch and immediately pitch up. Would that be allowed? It is single stage.

Edited by SkyFall2489

3 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

I have a fully stock rocket-plane I'd like to show, but I need to do a little more testing for the full mission run-through. It is meant to fly to orbit, dock to a fuel station and refuel, fly to Gilly and land there, and then fly home. As refueling is not allowed, I way just fly to the station, not transfer any fuel, and head back down. I've only tested a vertical launch, but it should be able to have a runway launch and immediately pitch up. Would that be allowed? It is single stage.

Sounds like that would be within the K-Prize rules.

As long as the initial direction of travel on launching is horizontal, a minimum distance of one craft length would be appropriate if there is any doubt, you can then pitch up as fast as you like. Hope that helps.

My entry:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FrdV91iXzn_CFGXq-va4kzz6r6PepK6rfWBOVH1-if0/edit?usp=sharing

Pic heavy. Got to a 78KM orbit, and landed on the runway. MechJeb was used to precisely complete maneuvers in a vacuum. 1 kerbal capacity.

I have some similar, larger planes, but they are modded.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, boolybooly said:

a minimum distance of one craft length

Hmm....

I have an idea: build a ship that meets every K prize rule except for that. Either make a plane with a lot of engine power and a lot of wing area, or find a way to make a vertically launching rocket take off horizontally. Perhaps add some wheels and a sideways engine, and then fire the mains once the rocket has started rolling sideways? Landing may be a challenge, as it is a vertical propulsive landing with intentional horizontal velocity...

This might be fun.

Edited by SkyFall2489

Congratulations @SkyFall2489 on completing the K-Prize mission successfully, reaching Kerbin orbit with Mini SSRT and returning to land safely, albeit sideways, on the KSC runway!

For which the mission earned the highly regarded Advanced Pilot Precision Award . Thankyou for your mission report  and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list, aka the K-Prize roll of honour.

• 1 month later...

Here's my submission many many years late!

Spoiler

kO7hhQm.jpg

Simply called the BoxWing SSTO, the design is based loosely on one of Matt Lowne's SSTO to Minmus, and can deliver at least 18 tons to LKO. This mission involved sending a rover to my new Minmus gateway station and collecting the engineer who was sent with it to set it up!

Mods installed are Paralax 2.0, and KOS, however the craft itself is completely stock!

I realized after, most of my screenshots were taken without the UI, which if need be I can redo the mission and resubmit.

Preflight:

Spoiler

wtFFwEc.jpg

nlBx0hS.jpg

7IEExEk.jpg

Playing with  Paralax 2.0 always makes taking off very pretty.

Ascent and orbit:

Spoiler

Pretty standard ascent for a spaceplane with Rapiers, stay level just after takeoff until 450+ m/s for the jets to really start kicking into gear, then angle up around 20 degrees. Ignite Nerva's around 20 km, and when the Rapiers need to be switched, angle up as hard as it'll go. Wait until the AP is over 70 and from there it's the same as any other rocket.

kO7hhQm.jpg

9FuqupI.jpg

Transferring to Minmus:

Spoiler

Burning on the way to the glassy moon:

aryjfjd.jpg

And on the way!

U2lBBb8.jpg

Arrival in Minmus and completing the first stage of the mission deliverables:

Spoiler

QGWuQn3.jpg

Nice and docked, showing off the small rover

mficjjt.jpg

EKv97ZQ.jpg

Ultimately the rover ended up just floating away after I undocked and realized it didn't have any RCS. I didn't feel like docking the station to it, so it's just chilling up there for now! However, technically a payload delivered to Minmus orbit. We also picked up Podrick from the station, it gets pretty lonely up there so far from home. As you can tell the margins ended up being pretty slim for my return, and I ended up going through quite a few quickloads after aerobraking until I got close enough to the KSC to perform a landing.

Returning home:

Spoiler

bblE2U6.jpg

Like mentioned above pretty slim margins for a return, and this craft doesn't handle overheating very well. This of course made the reentry take a long time, both in game and out.

wnHIiwj.jpg

Had some spins on the final decent, but luckily I was able to correct pretty quickly and take it down for a nice glide.

QwOqdPB.jpg

4KeaN0m.jpg

Used up the last drop of fuel to extend our glide and get right on the runway.

74Ca9qc.jpg

94 days later the crew + Podrick have successfully returned to the KSC safe and sound, ready for some non-packaged rations!

Spoiler

bKBf16D.jpg

Hi @the_wizard better late than never :) ... Congratulations on successfully completing the K-Prize mission with BoxWing SSTO to yourself, Podrick, Siging and Lenpond, who  have earned the highly regarded Utilitarial Commendation for taking a rover as payload to Minmus orbit, along with the sought after Kosmokerbal Commendation for achieving Minmus orbit and an Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st class for both docking in Minmus orbit and returning to land safely at KSC runway.

The absence of UI is perfectly OK in this situation as it is not required where a simple statement in text or other evidence attests to the completion of the K-Prize mission. There have been gatecrashers bounced due to not providing any evidence or statements at all! However your descriptions plus the screenshots of Minmus orbit demonstrate that the K-Prize mission was completed, so thanks very much for your mission report and welcome to the K-Prize roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list.

Congratulations @Foxworthgames on successfully completing the K-Prize mission with Techno Plane flown by Techno Kerman, in tribute to the late Technoblade of Minecraft fame ( https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/Technoblade ), earning the highly regarded kudos of the Kosmokerbal Commendation for entering orbit around Minmus, a Utilitarial Commendation for releasing a relay into Minmus orbit and an Advanced Pilot Precision Award for returning to land safely at KSC runway. 

Your successful mission kudos has been listed and linked on the roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list, in accord with the longstanding traditions of the K-Prize, along with a discretionary notice of your intended tribute to Technoblade.

Thankyou for your mission report and welcome to the halls of K-Prize fame and glory within the heavenly mansions of the KSP universe. RIP Technoblade.

EDIT - FYI - In the expectation of KSP2 in one months time the K-Prize thread will continue to be available to participants with a self service paradigm and I will no longer be curating the challenge manually.

Participants are welcome to continue making mission reports and self assess their kudos achievements.

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has taken part in the challenge. It has been fun for me and I hope it was fun for you.

See you all at the Dog & Booster!  

Edited by boolybooly

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

I finally have an entry for the Prize. The K-Prize no less.

The ship with the unimaginative name "Cargo Plaine" gets to orbit drops a Micro-Sat and return to the KSC without using the atmospheric engine again.

Thanks for watching,

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your mission video @Martian Emigrant which is very welcome. I think you can award yourself a K-Prize plus an Utilitarial Commendation, congratulations, as always.  

@Vanamonde thanks for your encouragement, much appreciated. I like to think people will be doing this for real one day, when SABRE becomes fully functional, if someone else doesn't get there first! I feel sure spaceplanes are going to become an important method for getting stuff into space. Which is why I feel the K-Prize is bigger than one challenge thread or curator.

TBH my secret hope is that for this reason the K-Prize mission or equivalent, to fly a space plane to orbit, will be adopted by Intercept and added as a side mission in KSP2. 

So for that reason I feel it is best to let go of the K-Prize and let it take on a life of its own, which it deserves.

Also I am not in a position to take it further, due to difficulties created by a longstanding medical condition involving immune dysfunction diagnosed as ME CFS, which has become worse after COVID, possibly due to longcovid plus ME.  I just dont have the boosters to take it on and would love to see someone else take the idea further in KSP2.

What do you think?