boolybooly

The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

On 9/21/2017 at 1:00 AM, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

may i still submit?

Of course :)

Congratulations once again to @JacobJHC for completing an evidently carefully planned mission to take a lightweight spaceplane to the distant location of Gilly and thereby qualifying for the K-Prize with plaudits.

- Exploratory Astrokerbal Distinction with Gilly SSTO (12.203t).

Welcome back to the roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list.

9 hours ago, boolybooly said:

Welcome back to the roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list.

Thanks! I have another destination in mind for this class of SSTOs, I'm not sure when, but soon it will launch for another vault around the Kerbol system...

I think it's time for me to renew my K-Prize license. The last time was so long ago it's untrue -- KSP 0.23.5, I believe.

Here's the Clipper taking 24 Passengers to the space station:

screenshot139.jpg

Gallery

Do passengers count as "cargo"?

Was messing around and got my MK2 SSTO into a 75x75 orbit with over 6,000 DV remaining! Can pretty much go anywhere. Landing in 2nd video after I burned off some fuel...

Edited by g00bd0g
changed my entry...

Congratulations to...

Laie Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Clipper.

g00bd0g Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Mk2 SSTO.

... on completing the K-Prize mission with flying colours. Thanks for your mission reports and welcome back to the K-Prize roll of honour aka party guest list.

Re passengers @Laie since they have no mass they dont count as cargo but docking to transfer them counts as an Advanced Pilot Precision Award and combined with the runway landing/taxi this contributes to an APPA 1st Class.

@g00bd0g

:)

Well, passenger modules are quite a bit more massive than an empty cargo bay of the same length... nevermind.

Thank you for taking the time and looking at my stuff. And everybody else's, for that matter: You're doing a public service which is woefully under-recognized.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for taking the time and looking at my stuff. And everybody else's, for that matter: You're doing a public service which is woefully under-recognized.

Thankyou Laie, good of you to say so, much appreciated :)

Edited by boolybooly

Entering the challenge with the Yatsykon Concept Co. Dimetrus - 1, my first SSTO since I started playing KSP in alpha 0.16 (Wow, that's so far away. Couldn't have imagined what KSP looks like now from back then. Much easier to play nowadays, back in my day we didn't get no fancy schmancy "patched conics").

Images should finish uploading by the time you see this, forgot to take photos pre-orbit.

https://imgur.com/a/fpEWV

I have a question about the rules regarding decoupling.  Can I build a craft with engine pods that I can leave in LKO while I deliver cargo to other planets and then come back and re-attach them before I land?

Yes @Thor Wotansen but K-Prize achievements only count while the craft is whole because, while ingenuity is commendable in its own right and interesting to see, the aim of the K-Prize is to test the capabilities of spaceplanes entire.

So if you drop a payload into orbit as a whole craft then it counts, what you then do with it is up to you, the K-Prize accomplishments only count while the craft is entire, so if it splits nothing more counts until it reassembles.

Congratulations to @Yatsykon...

Yatsykon with YCC Dimetrus.

... for completing the K-Prize. Thankyou for your mission report and welcome to the roll of honour.

A while ago I did this with a stock plane. I have now designed spaceplanes of my own. I went to orbit and back with the Fang V4, and to the Mun and Minmus and back with the Aegis V6.

Edit: After rereading the awards, I suppose I should mention a Duna landing and return with the Farscape V2. I also docked an Aegis V6 with a Drone V3 over Kerbin. I can't land on runways worth crap so I always land on terrain lol

Edited by paneledberry