The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

@boolybooly I see my Advanced Pilot Precision Award x5 and raise myself Advanced Pilot Precision Award x8.

In VAB, first lap

Spoiler

PlPpYEs.png

Craft in VAB. This is about the most mass per Rapier engine that can safely take off from the runway, and I don't like flats takeoffs. I got a similar payload fraction adding another pair of wing strakes to increase lift but that's also extra mass.

NKq0obP.png

On runway

A3uED1t.png

I accelerate at sea level until the wing incidence starts making me climb.

TAwq77H.png

I turn on the nuclear engine at 1660-1680 m/s. This is high enough that the Rapier's higher specific impulse saves lots of delta-v but not so high that the Rapier's effective Isp drops below the Nerv.

GhMPeth.png

In orbit

4r5LTTx.png

Aerobraking

1sfi76g.png

Approach

h4Qj0Wa.png

First lap complete

Second through fourth laps

Spoiler

tzDNjnS.png

Ascent is easier because of less mass this time

j93ZSNT.png

I turn on the nuclear engine too late here so I lose too much delta-v to drag

KSIye5W.png

In orbit

Lu7Ypqi.png

Lap 2 complete

OrHOAGi.png

Lap 3 ascent

IyqJSm9.png

Nuke turns on at 1680 m/s

vS93L0e.png

In orbit

OwL4Bzj.png

Approach

e7wrc8x.png

Lap 3 complete. I don't know what went wrong with the fuel gauge here but you can see I have lots of delta-v remaining

gPgH6eY.png

Ascent, nuke turns on at 1670 m/s

9NRC5DL.png

In orbit

IlTNxnP.png

Approach

mWSJOLp.png

Lap 4 complete

Laps 5-8

Spoiler

Cy8dw9o.png

At this point the wing area on this craft starts to be a bit excessive. I end up climbing a bit too quickly to be fully efficient.

bVaIDLP.png

In orbit

vqWLBu3.png

Lap 5 complete

Cls2R9o.png

Nuke turns on at 1680 m/s as usual

CeCPgbc.png

In orbit

zc9x1eL.png

Lap 6 complete. I was initially only going for seven laps but at this point I realized I actually had enough fuel for an eighth.

bNwxa7w.png

I took as shallow of an ascent as I could here to save fuel for the last lap because the wing area was going to start really being excessive.

bywiNJR.png

In orbit

Mge4UVY.png

Lap 7 complete.

ANGMTtz.png

Final ascent. At this point I can't climb efficiently anymore but I try my best

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697644473244712983/833273745372217354/Screenshot_763.png

In orbit - 53 m/s left

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697644473244712983/833273750383230996/Screenshot_764.png

Deorbiting - 13 m/s left!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697644473244712983/833273755610251274/Screenshot_765.png

Final approach

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697644473244712983/833273755701739540/Screenshot_766.png

Eight orbits complete

I had 40-50 m/s of deorbit burn for each of my eight orbits for about 360 m/s wasted. I probably wasted another 200-250 m/s on orbital insertions. Maybe with a bit more fuel and better flight profiles I can fit in a ninth orbit but I probably won't attempt it.

Edit: Instead of "Untitled Space Craft" can you call it "Relay Race 2"

Edited by camacju

Overall experience with youtube and the forums recently indicates that part clipping is now a fully accepted strategy. 

Interesting. I'll just say that the kerbals have found a way to hyperdensify fuel. After all, their planets are REALLY dense. 

Congratulations @camacju on completing the K-Prize mission eight times over in one launch with a prodigious feat of endurance demonstrating true dedication to the cause of reusability!

APPA x8 it is, well flown, thanks for your mission report and welcome back to the K-Prize roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list.

:)