How to revert to "Pre-1.0"?

account212

I am just having too much trouble launching anything that doesn't spin/flip/blow up from the new aero forces. It's a game and it shouldn't have to take me 3 day to be able to launch something that can go only 1000m.

Can I just revert to beta? or is there a mod that can change the aero forces?

Thanks

Alternatively you can slap some fins (preferably those with steering capabilities) to the bottom of the rocket, let SAS assist you and you should be fine. Oh and try not to add too many small parts to the Cockpit that will cause a lot of drag and inevitably flip you upside down

Try Harder

you've been incredibly helpful, friend.

The new aerochanges things quite a bit, and I must advise not giving up quite yet.

Important things to note:

-dont go too fast while still at low altitude, rockets like to tip if you do that. I keep it below 250 m/s till about 6000m

-keep all control imputs small, gentle taps of the keys if you use keyboard. trying hard turns is no good.

-use fins to keep it stable.

post a pic of your rocket? upload it to imgur and then link it here so we can help more.

Edited by r4pt0r

You can open up the dev console (alt + 12) and change some of the properties of the aero dynamics to make it more like the soupy days of old, but I don't know what values you'd need to set.

I'd say the best option is grab some screen shots of your attempts to far and head over to Gameplay-Questions-and-Tutorials and folk will be more than happy to give you some pointers to help you out.

edit

yeah, what r4pt0r said!

If you have steam, go under properties, betas and you can revert to 0.90 ... Or if its from the official website, then download the old version again...

But as the others said, don't give up, the old tricks won't work. Use fins at the bottom, go a bit slower at first, turn sooner (but yes career will be much harder at the start)

also peek here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116993-Helpful-1-0-observations?p=1870738#post1870738 The aerodynamics section has some things.

personally I would keep the stock settings, or just use a mod. Getting assistance here might be more difficult if you are playing with your own completely custom settings.

Unless you made a copy of your game before updating, there is no way to assess older versions until SQUAD decides to release them in the future. (if ever)

This new update brought major changes to the game. Because the game changed, you need to also. Trying to play the same way will be futile. Don't resist learning something new. Try googling or searching on the forums/YouTube for tutorials; there are tons of resources to help you understand the changes in 1.0.X

I'm getting tired of these posts from people who can't figure out drag on their own. Should Squad include tutorials on aerodynamic construction? It doesn't seem to me like putting a few fins at the back of a rocket should be such a hard concept.

Use engines with a gimbal.

Use fins at the rear of a rocket, and potentially some steerable fins at the front/top, but not enough to overpower the rear fin's drag.

Use SAS parts. They're pretty effective on their own.

I learned these things in the OLD aero system. Even before better aerodynamics, keeping a rocket under control didn't always happen for free.

Call me harsh. Whatever.

Edited by Camaron

I know it sounds harsh, but I side with bluebird here.

I didn't get a nice lengthy tutorial to start KSP with, I had to learn everything effectively on my own. I became the master engineer I am today because.... Well because I persevered and learned to keep going even in the spite of continual failure.

As someone else mentioned it's common sense, make your rocket look realistic. I've seen so many people complain of the new aerodynamic system, while their still trying to air hog or use asparagus stage their rockets. People need to sit down and look at a real rocket- LOOK at how the Saturn V is designed and ask WHY is it built this way. Then go watch a rocket launch and listen to the audio transcripts that go with them so they learn what and why NASA does what it does.

Case and point. Use common sense and don't give up just because of failure. Analyze and inspect the failure, find the cause, lead up to and result of the failure. Then try again whilst preventing the failure. This isn't none sense- this is a common way to find, route out, and solve issues in a verity of scenarios.

To address the OP's question - if you bought KSP from the KSP store, then in my experience, the previous to current version has always been available if you go to re-download KSP. I cannot comment on the situation with regard to Steam users, as I don't play KSP via Steam, but I gather an earlier poster has done so.

And to those ignoring the OP's question in a non-helpful way (as against those giving useful info and encouragement to stick with the current version) - shame on you! Doesn't it occur to you that some folk might actually find the previous version more fun (or the current version less fun), for whatever reason?

I've found fairings and fins help a great deal.

Zoo... I've no problems with asparagus staging.

Well then your in the minority since asparagus staging for the most part is aerodynamically unstable in most configurations and therefore can't turn whatsoever until you reach 35km (above the majority of the atmo) because it wants to flip...

Well then your in the minority since asparagus staging for the most part is aerodynamically unstable in most configurations and therefore can't turn whatsoever until you reach 35km (above the majority of the atmo) because it wants to flip...

Well... Then maybe you should try harder.

I don't even know where to start with this. I'm actually using asparagus rigs MORE in 1.0x than I ever have before. And it's not like things have to be particularly aerodynamic, even...I still launch huge blocky monsters all the time. Seriously, all you have to do is use a gimbaled engine, a few fins, and TAKE IT EASY ON THE CONTROLS. Yah, I flipped a few rockets learning the new aero, and every once in a while I might still if I turn too sharply, but seriously, it's not that hard.

I am just having too much trouble launching anything that doesn't spin/flip/blow up from the new aero forces. It's a game and it shouldn't have to take me 3 day to be able to launch something that can go only 1000m.

Can I just revert to beta? or is there a mod that can change the aero forces?

Thanks

KSP 1.0 allows much more control than previous releases over how the game works. But before changing any settings, better save a copy of the physics.cfg (under the KSP root folder) so you may bring the correct ones back.

To change those settings, open the debug menu (Mod-F12).

About the aero forces, the old drag system should be resurrected by checking (in the Physics/Drag panel) "Apply Drag As Acceleration Instead of Force" and "Replace Drag Cubes With Spherical Model". Lift is now provided by any part (not only by wings and Mk2 fuselage), to cancel this new lift you have to (in the Physics/Aero panel) put the "Body Lift Multiplier" slider to 0.

About the Thermal effects, try with (under Cheats panel) checking the "Ignore Max Temperature", and cancel all checks under Physics/Thermal panel.

Be advised, I did not try if those settings actually work, only have a basic knowledge of what they do. But worth a try in case, you may retain all the other improvements of KSP 1.0 without the trouble.

Anyway, not that I'm recommending to disable the new aero. Everything is being balanced for the new model, not only with 1.0 but with all subsequent patches and versions. Engines e.g. have different performance now, but expect other subtle things to not work as planned.

Your third image shows your rocket at 14,126 m altitude, 296.7 m/s with pro-grade direction about 5 degrees off straight up. My guess is that your ascent profile is likely to be the root cause of your problems. What kind of ascent are you using? The old "straight up to 10,000 m, then 45 degrees over" will definitely lead to rockets flipping out. Try bringing the nose over to about 5-10 degrees over from straight up when your rocket is doing between 50 and 100 m/s, and then follow the prograde marker as it moves further around. You should be at about 45 degrees over by somewhere around 10-15,000 m.

Also in the third image, on the central stack, you only have fins on two sides, meaning you only have aerodynamic stability along one axis. Try to have at least three fins on any part of the rocket that will fly through the lower atmosphere. Either that, or hold prograde with the SAS all the way up.

I'll agree with both rcp27 and Master Tao, it looks like you're trying to fly the old ascent profile, and that doesn't work well with most rockets.

I'd go with four fins on the center stack, 45 degrees off of the cardinal directions. That should be enough to keep it on track with a more gradual pitch maneuver. I'd also look at moving as much of the radial mounted parts into a service bay as possible, as I've noticed that too much radially mounted stuff at the top of the rocket really amplifies any tendency of a rocket to flip, since radially mounted stuff isn't occluded. If you can send Bob instead of Bill and have unlocked EVA, you can move the goo containers and science junior below the heat shield and extract/reset them with Bob, meaning that you don't need as many goo containers and you don't need them to survive reentry. I'm not sure if non-scientists can remove the results from experiments in 1.0.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.