[WIP] DEV: Lithobrake Exploration Technologies 0.1 (2015-07-08)

NecroBones

I'm just thinking out loud here, but some things I've wished for.

1. a 2 kerbal rover cab. Think http://i.space.com/images/i/000/003/864/i02/081029-chariot-module-02.jpg?1292268013
  2. A 2.5 or 3.75M Command pod with a separate Science and/or engineering pod that would visually integrate with it.
  3. An X-37 type crew return module.
  4. A 2.5 and/or 3.75 engine ring with integrated landing legs, visualize a ring of 4 to 8 .625m engines with the landing legs part of the frame and they extend out from the bottom at an angle. This is about a 1m deep module with either fuel, monoprop or both.
  5. A crane cab think of this http://www.cidbuildings.com/images/crane_cab_4.jpg but 1.25m round and almost all glass for skycranes or maneuver blisters. Transfer your pilot from the main cabin to the maneuver blister so you can land your munar base horizontally.

There are a few others on the gee that would be nice list that either I can't remember or can not fully describe.

A cargo bay like the stock ones, but circular 3.75m (or 5m...) and WITH end cap and sliding doors that do not protrude. Then I would stick one engine pod (cone+tank+engine) on each side, and drive my rover flat out on the surface, no ramp needed.

A cargo bay like the stock ones, but circular 3.75m (or 5m...) and WITH end cap and sliding doors that do not protrude. Then I would stick one engine pod (cone+tank+engine) on each side, and drive my rover flat out on the surface, no ramp needed.

Yeah, this is kinda what I'm thinking. Sliding doors, floor+ceiling with attachment nodes. It should be pretty straightforward.

One partial answer to the problems with height and lander stability would be a landing leg that unfolds more outwards than current ones do. I'm going a bit by guesswork here, but something that gives a lander the same effect as being the next size up without needing a greatly enlarged fairing.

this was one of my v0.90 designs. It uses a 2.5m capsule, and the conical piece takes up up to 3.75m It's also an attempt to land a rover, with a fuel tank as a balance weight that can also be left behind. But you can imagine how big a fairing it would have to use. I could seeing it needing a 5m booster to get it into orbit

CCp1wAiWMAApNvF.png:large

The extra spread makes a huge difference to the slope-stability. The vehicle is rather over-powered, enough thrust to soft-land on Kerbin and, without the legs and platforms, might make a good orbital work-vehicle. But it feels at the upper-end of plausibility for the Kerbal attitude to problem-solving. I think that might be a usefully-different sort of landing leg

Made more progress on ladders. I have a 5m deployable ladder working (actually more like 4.8m in length, but still a good bit longer than the stock alternatives). The amusing thing is that it's a bit more narrow than the taller stock ladder, but I have the width set correctly for the Kerbals' hands (and the stock ladder is too wide).

KSP%202015-06-11%2008-55-58-20.jpg

Some ideas for names:

-Kerbal Landotronics

-Space Y Delivery Systems

-Lithobrake Industries

-Ground Break Technology Group

One idea for the rover is to have a platform that lowers to the ground and stops, but that would require Infernal Robotics, and that has issues with docking ports. Of course, it might be possible to use tweakables to adjust the height/angle of any ramps so you don't run into issues with them tipping over.

Awesome, I like those. :) Man, this is going to get hard, in choosing something to stick with. :)

I feel your pain, because I've been working on a parts park that I'd like to get some input for, and I'm having trouble picking a name too.

(Though I'm glad you like the ones I came up with. :D)

I think I might go with a hybrid... "Lithobrake Exploration Technologies" or something along those lines. :)

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on it lately, since my modding time has been pulled away to the other mods for a few things.

Right now what I have is a couple of static ladders, and a deployable ladder working. I also have the 3-man lander pod about half built. If I can get that pod done, and a few services bays working, then maybe it'll be ready for a test release.

I also am highly tempted to work on one or two sets of landing legs, even though I said I wouldn't, because I know there are some good use cases here. For instance, I see people making Eve landers with the largest aircraft landing gear, since those are tall enough to get around mainsails. My MRS set will handle mainsails, barely, but some heavy-duty landing legs would still be cool. We'll see how my time works out.

More often than not, I work on the parts that I get excited about, rather than what's truly needed first. ;)

Edited by NecroBones

Hmm, yeah, windows are always good. I'll keep it in mind. :)

BTW, I did start on some landing legs. I'm thinking two sizes. One set of really huge legs (non-textured in-progress shot below), and another that's still larger than stock legs, but not quite so huge.

For scale, consider that the rocket parts are 5m parts from SpaceY.

KSP%202015-06-15%2020-54-00-49.jpg

...I'll be in my bunk

One thing to mention, the feet should be squarish to match the profile of the leg housing

Yeah, I might do that. I'm thinking the more medium-sized set may have a more circular-ish upper leg housing, and this one will probably keep a more rectangular design.

If it's gonna be that big, you might as well throw a reference to Behemoth Aerospace Engineering because of the size alone...

*those BAE parts are 5.0 - 7.5 - 10.0m*

But Hey, We need landing legs big enough to land with a Mainsail safely without having to build extensions.

Well that's just it. I'm really targeting the larger stock engines. It's OK if the SpaceY R5 barely fits, and its not targeting BAE specifically at all. :) (besides, BAE has its own legs now)

I'm still playing with the settings on it, but if it can handle Mainsails and KR-2L "Rhinos", then I've achieved the goal. :)

KSP%202015-06-16%2009-20-45-53.jpg

KSP%202015-06-16%2011-33-00-57.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

Large legs are partially textured, and also worked on a second length of deployable ladder (8m long). In the screenshot, both of my new ladders (middle and right) next to the longest stock ladder (left).

These legs are absolutely enormous, so I'll definitely make at least one intermediate size.

KSP%202015-06-17%2019-06-51-27.jpg

I might suggest that, due to the sheer size of those things, they include some sort of strut for visual effect - something like one of these:

pw1.jpg

That way they would look more up to the task of supporting such a heavy rocket.

More like absolutely glorious.

Though I think the feet should be bigger, due to the abso-HONKIN-lutely huge landers these are for.

It's funny that you say that, since the feet actually were larger a couple of days ago. They looked a little too big, particularly when folded. I can try upping it a little again and see how it looks.

I might suggest that, due to the sheer size of those things, they include some sort of strut for visual effect - something like one of these:

http://www.philohome.com/pwheel/pw1.jpg

That way they would look more up to the task of supporting such a heavy rocket.

I thought about that, but I haven't figured out how to animate those yet (using the "look-to" thing or whatever it's called). Also, they won't work with the design of this particular leg's deployment action. They have a sliding joint, and slide upward to retract.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.