Kidnapped by Romfarer! Challenge for 1.0.2

OH NO! You've been kidnapped!

You were walking on the park one day when romfarer, who is on his vacation, decided to kidnap you. Your

left hand is now tied to a chair and there is a computer, without the keyboard, in front of you. The basement smells funny.

Romfarer is known for his amazing vessels. He kidnapped you to force you to help him build a spacecraft.

The only way to escape is to build a craft with only the mouse and fly it to space so you can please romfarer to let you go!

Rules:

-You can use the keyboard in the editor, but not while flying the vessel.

-You must use only the mouse to fly it to space.

-You can't use the keyboard at all times.

-You can assign ANY key bindings to the left and right clicks.

-all mods, except mechjeb and smart a.s.s., are allowed.

-you can't use anything except the mouse( because you only have 1 hand.)

-you are only allowed the left mouse click, right mouse click and the middle wheel click only.

-Using z and x key is allowed, ONLY in space.

reV0EhZ.png

Scoring:

(1 point) successfully build a vessel and launch it.

(7 points) bring the vessel above 70km.

(20 points) bring the vessel to any orbit around kerbin.

(10 points) encounter the mun.

(20 points) enter munar orbit.

(50 points) Land on the Mun

(50 points) encounter minmus.

(50 points) orbit minmus.

(80 points) Land on Minmus

(10 points) escape kerbin!

(100 points) encounter any other planetary body.

(300 points) orbit any other planet.

(200 points) land on any other planet

(700 points) return the vessel to kerbin from interplanetary space!

Multipliers

Carry kerbals +5% per kerbal

Use only SRBs +100%

Stock attempt +10%

Use mods with enhanced controls -40%

Use less than 10t +30%

Use less than 5t +70%

Return the vessel back to Kerbin +40%

Sqa8JRF.png

Leaderboard:

[Modded]MarvinKitFox - 156.6 points (+45%)

[stock]SirJodelstien - 43.4 points (+55%)

q4doisM.png

Submission

- All other mods are allowed, but please state in submission.

- please include a screenshot of the vessel before launch, during flight, and achieving milestones. Using the screenshot button on the keyboard is allowed.

-Do not use any mod hacks, or from the debug menu. Please be honest and fair.

-Please include a short description stating your objectives, mission details, and your vessel.

-try to use thrust limiters and right clicking engines to activate them! Maybe use srbs to turn.

This thread contains fictional scenarios. Romfarer does not kidnap people.

C33ldOM.png

Winning Signatures:

Beginner - more than 1 point

gv5PE4t.png

Stuntman - more than 8 points

IPFOQ7L.png

Adventurous - more than 28 points

sJaZqlG.png

Galactic Venturous - more than 50 points

nM8WCfF.png

Master - more than 200 points

DhrrPKv.png

uGkKQ8W.png

Note to all:

Entries will be verified and the signature will be sent to the winner, along with an authenticity disclaimer. Those who have cheated will not receive the badge.

Please stay honest, have fun, and enjoy the challenge!

Shout out to scott manley who landed a vessel on the Mun with his nose

Paste this on your signature, encourage your friends to take on the challenge!

c8tSXOE.png

[URL="http://goo.gl/fyevs9"][img=http://i.imgur.com/c8tSXOE.png][/URL]
Come and join me in the Kidnapped! Challenge!

Edited by Rdivine

Interesting idea, I will definitely at least have a go!

Suggestion: either disallow MechJeb or have a separate category for it. MJ makes it fairly easy to use autopilot and auto-staging to control a rocket using the mouse only, whereas steering and staging without WASD and the space bar would be one of the main problems without MJ.

What about that guy who got to Laythe and back with SRBs?

If he never used the keyboard to change the vessel orientation he's propably the winner in this one. :)

Nevertheless, this challenge might even get me to actually try building and flying a craft without any attitude control use at all - propably on a smaller scale though.

Edit: I completely agree with Hotaru's comment about autopilot mods.

Edited by RocketPropelledGiraffe

Wow. Throttle locked at 50%, no throttle control other than manual thrust limiters, no steering, no SAS. No staging, no action groups. Sounds VERY hard. Consider me nerdsniped.

Also: All crafts will have the same name ;)

@OP: You need to also ban alternative input devices, virtual keyboards and mods that work around your intended limitations

Wow. Throttle locked at 50%, no throttle control other than manual thrust limiters, no steering, no SAS. No staging, no action groups. Sounds VERY hard. Consider me nerdsniped.

Also: All crafts will have the same name ;)

@OP: You need to also ban alternative input devices, virtual keyboards and mods that work around your intended limitations

Middle click wheel can be used for sas control?

Also you can copy and paste text using only the mouse, so not all vessels will share the same name.

Staging can be done my assigning key bindings to the right mouse button?

I don't know.. When you're kidnapped you don't have much choice XD

Here is my entry. No fancy plugins. Just a rocket that flies an aerodynamics-stabilized gravity turn without control input, plus some thrust limits at the beginning and the end, to tune the heading.

I have a Minmus&return capable ship in LEO. 2500m/s left, so actually this can go much further than that). The upper stage has a similar control solution with 4 spiders. But then i discovered that timewarping sets the throttle to 0%. No way to put it back up. There is a mod "Throttle Limit Action Groups" to work around this, and i have the "lights" and "gear" buttons unassigned, but for me that kind of defeats the whole interesting "throttle locked at 50%" theme.

I'm not going to do a realtime mission ;) Thanks anyway, interesting idea. But i would really lift the VAB/SPH restriction. Thats just enforced tediousness that does not add anything to the challenge.

P.S. Copy&Paste text does not work in the editor. Keybindings to mouse buttons are not possible. But honestly, with SAS and the new "face direction" buttons, this would be waaay to easy.

Edited by SirJodelstein

-You must use only the mouse to fly it to space.

-You can't use the keyboard at all times.

-You can assign ANY key bindings to the left and right clicks.

-you are only allowed the left mouse click, right mouse click and the middle wheel click only.

-Using z and x key is allowed, ONLY in space.

I can almost do this.

Rules I need to break:

1) I need to be allowed to program the middle button.

rule "-You can assign ANY key bindings to the left and right clicks." kinda disallows this.

You *need* the left button for selecting, and you *need* the right button for context-menus.

Yep, that's enough.

Build a great huge overspec rocket.

Make sure that each stage has only one motor, and that this motor can be gimballed.

Set staging to all-engines in first stage.

Tweak thrust limit on all to zero

Program middle button to:

set throttle max. +

engage SAS +

Launch

Now launch. not much happens, all engines activate at their preset level of 0

thrust control is achieved by sliding the engine's thrust limiter.

Primary direction control is a set of 5 ant engines around the nose of the top stage.

Of course, if the direction wanted is prograde, retro, etc.. use Jeb's piloting skills to go there.

To turn, select the appropriate ant engine, and slide engine power up. As it is already staged and active, this gives you the precise thrust needed.

To stop rotation, slide the ant to zero and wait for SAS to dampen rotation

To stop rotation *quickly*, engage the gimbal on your current primary motor. SAS will automatically use the gimbal to dampen rotation *very* *very* quickly.

(in practice, i found that I have to tweak the gimbal limits too, or else my rocket shakes itself apart in the atmo)

To stop rotation even more quickly you can just click on timewarp, but that feels sorta....cheaty.

Using this, i've managed a soft-touch-and-go landing on Mun, with >>5000m/s deltav remaining. with more patience, I'm sure you could do anything this way.

Launch, and gravity turn, is an absolute doddle. nothing to it.

To get to Mun, just wait until it rises above the horizon, from 200km orbit. Burn hard.

Use Kerbal alarm clock to tell you when a change-of-SOI is expected. Congrats, you will end up near the mun.

Once in mun SOI, just burn retro until ... ah, you know the deal...

I stay on retro until i touch surface, then skeedaddle out of there before i tip over.

return is a matter of aiming at Kerbin when about 30degrees around mun.

deorbit is easy. Set parachutes to 0.5atmo, 900m. deploy while in space.

Retroburn like crazy to prevent fried rice.

land.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Disclaimer.

Contrary to the rulez, i did make liberal use of F5 and F9

I don't think this violates the spirit of the challenge at all, does it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.