Kerbal Space Program Gamer’s Edition is now available!

SQUAD

Haha! Who buys this kind of stuff???

Wondering what the market segmentation method was that decided a mobile was relevant....

With a physical edition we didn’t want to give you just a USB drive or disc with the game on it, but we wanted to make something a bit more special, that’s worth investing in.

This definitely isn't an investment.

But you should totally do USB drives.

I would get this if I could get it separate from the game (i.e, for 40 dollars rather than 80), and if it contained things like a game history book as Nova suggested, and if it had Valentina. It should also have come with a special USB drive with the game on it. Though if that rocket is indeed real, not part of the backdrop, and it was just forgotten to mention it on the list of included things, then there's a nonzero chance I'd get the thing anyway.

Really I think they should have asked players what they thought should be included with the Gamer's Edition.

The only thing here I'm interested in is that patch. Never wanted a KSP t-shirt, coffee mug, plushy or poorly made figurine, and damn sure never wanted a freaking mobile. (Seriously? A mobile?) But a mission patch would be very cool. How can I get one of those without buying all that other stuff?

Not that I want to see this fail to meet the minimum order requirement, but when the Papers, Please Collection failed they did a new sale with just the poster for a (more easily) justifiable $16.

So if the KSP Collection doesn't meet the minimum, I would love to see just the mission patch go up for sale. That would be hard for me to resist. However, I suspect that if anything were to go to the consolation sale it would be the mobile since I believe profit margins would be significantly higher. I imagine the production costs for the mobile have to be much lower than any other item and you could still charge a premium because it would be a Single-Run Collector's Item. I would also imagine the production cost of the mission patch would be close to the reasonable retail price of it, so I don't anticipate spending any money at Gamer's Edition anytime soon.

It's cool and I would enjoy having some collector's items for KSP, but for the money I'd rather buy two copies of the game at full price and give them as gifts to people I know would love the game but might be afraid of the price tag.

I think the mobile is a perfect reconstruction of some of the missions I've done. Parts and Kerbals end up all over the place ;)

On the patch: I don't think Squad or Gamer's Edition would want to damage the exclusivity of items included with the Collector's edition... so I'd suggest doing... a variation of it. "Mission patches" are cool :)

Companies like Café Press will put art on just about any object you can think of, that might be ideal for Squad.

Edit: and, in fact, I learn today that you can get KSP stuff, via Café Press.

Edited by basic.syntax

I'm not offended by the Steam key, but was really hoping this package would include the game on old-school physical media, as owning an official KSP DVD would have just made my heart happy. Even if the game isn't exactly final by the scheduled ship date of November, I would certainly expect it to be in a more stable and polished state than it is now, making the permanence of a disc less weird and impractical...though again, maybe I'm just old and silly, but even a disc that wasn't terribly useful for very long would delight me.

Such a disc could be made extra-nice if it included a curated collection of top mods (one of the Civ IV releases did this, if I recall correctly), along with assorted making-of stuffeths and whatever else they felt like putting on there. Or--here's a crazy and probably dumb idea--maybe even some temporarily-exclusive content? (There's enough of us real KSP fanatics out there that I'm confident getting, say, a haf-dozen new parts or a little in-game feature a few months ahead of everyone else would produce a non-trivial number of Gamer's Edition sales.)

At any rate, I came close to pulling the trigger on this one even though it's a bit disappointing...but that's still a lot of money (that I don't exactly have in my pocket dying to be spent) for not a lot that's really truly gripping. It seems that a lot of people feel the same: the campaign is certainly off to a slow start. If they asked me, I'd advise suspending it for some retooling.

If any of what is currently on offer were available separately later, I'd be most interested in the figurines, if the final product turns out to be decent quality. (I don't know quite what to expect there though...does anyone else have a well-founded hunch?) And of course I'd really want Val included.

@ SQAD

HI i just wanted to now is it possible to get it cheaper without the steam code i own the game already but i want the merch

IT would make me veary happy

thanks for the quick answer in before

ps:thanks for this nice game

You don't, you just get a steam code. Never seen any mention of otherwise.

Well, the post says, "With a physical edition we didn’t want to give you just a USB drive or disc with the game on it..." -- the word 'just' implies to me that they wanted to give us other things in addition to the physical copy...but the decsription of the contents didn't mention a physical copy. So, confused I was.

Well, the post says, "With a physical edition we didn’t want to give you just a USB drive or disc with the game on it..." -- the word 'just' implies to me that they wanted to give us other things in addition to the physical copy...but the decsription of the contents didn't mention a physical copy. So, confused I was.

Yeah, meaning, they don't want to give you just a DVD case with a disc or a USB drive or something, they want to give you the other stuff and a bit of paper with a code printed on it instead :P

[grumble]

a Steam code, ... packaged in an individually numbered presentation box
[/grumble]

I'd wish for a DVD for archival purposes, it's something that represents a moment in time. A steam code doesn't do that; at some point that code will get you v1.1, v1.2 - a better product most likely, but you can't go down memory lane that way. I see the following problem, however: in limited quantities it might have been a DVD-R, I'm unsure what the minimum quantity is for a production run on non-recordable media. Some recordable media has great longevity, but I think commercial ROM would be the best. Flash media also has great longevity... each type of media has its own environmental weaknesses, tradeoffs, future concerns.

Squad are a bunch of geniuses, they made a game where you can be creative, you have to learn from mistakes, and you have to follow certain milestones of make your own, KSP is probably the best game ive ever played, and thats without a multiplayer. When/if ksp gets multiplayer functionality, i can consider it one of the best games of all time!

• 1 month later...
Never wanted a KSP t-shirt, coffee mug, plushy or poorly made figurine, and damn sure never wanted a freaking mobile. (Seriously? A mobile?)

Oh, come on. Stop straining your bass voice. I'm getting a pain in my humanity.

Pre-ordered. A symbolic move, I suppose. I doubt it's gonna make it to production, given the deadline. That's sad, it looks neat. I would have loved to get one.

It's rather sad that these won't get made, but that is what happens for rushing the 1.0 release. The Gamer's Edition should have been used to sell pre-orders of the final version instead of trying to sell it after the sales rush is over. Still, if it looks like these might actually get made after all, I might get it just for the patch and figures.

As per the Gamers Edition FAQ:

Does the campaign end when you hit the minimum order number?

Nope. Each campaign runs for a fixed period of time (currently 30 days) and at the end of it, if we've passed the minimum order number, we make exactly as many Gamer's Editions as have been ordered.

What happens if you don't get enough orders?

Then we pour one out, take a moment to mourn, and then get on to the next Gamer’s Edition. Your card will not be charged, and we’ll send you an email to confirm that.

So....is this still going to be a thing? Its been well over 30 days, and only met like 8% of the required pre-orders, but its still on their site.

So....is this still going to be a thing? Its been well over 30 days, and only met like 8% of the required pre-orders, but its still on their site.

The FAQ is rather clear, unfortunately. The campaign will run til the deadline (end of July), then... nothing. This edition will not make it to production.

With so many pre-orders still being required, I don't think they will consider extending the campaign.

Edited by Plume & Akakak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.