[1.02] Contract Pack: Mission Based R&D (v 0.2.2)

klefenz

DOWNLOAD (from Kerbal Stuff)

Licence:

Mission Based R&D is licenced under the MIT licence

Description:

The objective of this mod is to overhaul the R&D system of career mode by neutralizing the science points and unlocking tech nodes as a reward for completing missions.

For this purpose a tech tree and contract pack are provided.

Required mods:

Contract Configurator

Module Manager

Supported mods:

-Remote Tech

-Real Chute

-Deadly Reentry

-Procedural Fairings

-Outer Planets Mod

-Modular Rocket Systems

-SpaceY Lifters (for this one a tech node and mission is added)

Any mod that doesn't add parts should have no problem.

-0.1 (4/6/15)

• Initial release

-0.1.1 (4/6/15)

• Fixed some typos

-0.1.2 (5/6/15)

• Added Remote Tech support

• Fixed an issue that caused certain contract to not unlock their tech nodes

-0.2.0 (5/6/15)

• Added Real Chute support
  • Added Deadly Reentry support
  • Added Procedural Fairings support
  • Added Outer Planets Mod support
  • Fixed several bugs

-0.2.1 (6/6/15)

• Added Modular Rocket Systems support
  • Added SpaceY Lifters support

-0.2.2 (11/6/15)

• Fixed bugs with the "Reentry Test" mission
  • Moved Mystery Goo Containment Unit to Suborbital Flight tech node

As a disclaimer I have to say that this most likely needs a rebalance, and probably clarification of the missions, feedback appreciated.

I can guarantee you that the second rocket launch mission, the heavy lifter mission and the plane missions are possible with the parts available at the time.

Thanks for playing.

Edited by klefenz
update

Now this looks interesting... am I right in thinking this is the sort of thing best done in it's own save, with minimal mods?

I took a look at the files, just to see what sort of things to expect.

First thing that jumps out of me.

"Rockets have been used for fireworks in the past, but some crazy, erm, brilliant scientsist think they can be used to travel to outer space. We have our reservations on this, try to launch one and see if it can at least fly straight. As long as it reaches that altotude it doesn't matter if it crashes afterwards."
(scientist).

Second thing that jumps out... (and this is just me being picky) - but maybe the "First Launch contract" should not be declinable? As you need it to advance? Actually, all of the initial contracts should be mandatory IMO.

Anyway nice job! I'm going to install this and try it out.

am I right in thinking this is the sort of thing best done in it's own save, with minimal mods?

Yes, as I said in the disclaimer no other mods are supported, which means parts from other mods wont show up unless they are assigned to the "start" node.

Second thing that jumps out... (and this is just me being picky) - but maybe the "First Launch contract" should not be declinable? As you need it to advance? Actually, all of the initial contracts should be mandatory IMO.

I thought that too, but some contracts have parameters that bind them to a craft, and if that craft is destroyed or recovered the contract becomes stuck and cannot be completed.

If you cancel or decline any of these contracts they keep showing up until you complete them.

Very interesting for a new game mode! I'll have to try this out with the "minimal set" I'm putting together for my next career game. >_>

One quibble though - maybe you shouldn't call it a "contract pack" in the thread title since it is a complete tech overhaul!

This seems interesting. If you don't like grinding for science points, just do away with the point system entirely!

Is/will this be compatible with other tech trees? (Community, Seti, etc?)

Honestly, I think that this is a great mod and something KSP has needed for a long time! I don't like the way you have to grind for science with the stock tree.

Sadly, other mods containing parts do not integrate well with this mod.

Therefore, what are your plans for the future with this mod concerning other mods?

Jesus that second mission is difficult. I just can't stop it flipping out. Any clues?

Yeah, I noticed, try using offset to move the fins down.

Is/will this be compatible with other tech trees? (Community, Seti, etc?)

I don't think so, each tech tree would need a contract pack to unlock it, and those tech trees were not built to be unlocked this way, although it is entirely posible. However I won't be the one doing it.

Sadly, other mods containing parts do not integrate well with this mod.

Therefore, what are your plans for the future with this mod concerning other mods?

I will keep updating and adding compatibility for other mods.

Mods with lots of parts, like B9, are particularly tiresome to integrate in a tech tree, there aren't/I don't know any tools to do it, so its just the old copy/paste/write configs to make it work. And aero parts are the most bloatty and grindsome.

Hi

This mod is perfect for KSP! Exactly what i wanted it to be in the first place when i started playng it. It should be likte that that you get more enginnering expirince with part tests etc and then envolve and can build new things....

Ok so here are a couple of things:

1. Could you include my science mod ? -> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120094-1-02-Mkerb-Inc-Science-Instruments-%28New-models-wanted%29%29

2. I would be willing to help write configs or what ever is needed to get some mods i like into the tree. (Tarsir Space telescopes for example.) So if you want help i just pm me with you skype handle and we can talk :-)

Also i have a question: Does it deactivate all the stock contracts, otherwise this would be a bit pointless.

Thanks for this great mod!

Edited by ManuxKerb

This !

I kinda love the science modules and their role in career but my OCD will never forgive how you will never max out most of the experiments even if you spam it 4-5 experiments per trip. (The bars and rounded numbers does say maxed but it really isn't) And I guess everyone also feels that it gets repetitive after 2 hours of new play through. Honestly I never once complete the tech tree since it was put in the game. I have no motivation and patience to leave Kerbin SOI just to get more parts just to go further faster just to get more parts, rinse and repeat.

And also the reason for constructing a station. I kinda like the concept of Station Science but it's too much for me, the art style is a bit too far from vanilla too. I'm currently on a way of getting my station to Mun orbit and farm there. I'm not sure what will happen to my motivation once I get ISRU tech and ability to stay on Mun forever.

I like it, but there isn't a possible way to get Funds expect the hard contracts? How about adding some randomly generated Contracts?

Not sure about that side but some vanilla contracts show up for me after first few (modded) contracts.

I'm gonna update this comment as I progress through it. The second contract seems hard for some people... slap in some fins.

Can't perfectly nail the landing on first plane contract with FAR. Built one ugly plane, get altitude record, struggle with steering it back to KSC. Landed on the shore, can't slow it down fast enough, jumped at the runway, contract complete.

>> I suggest using condition update when leaving runway (Force to recover vessel while it is on runway only)

For Supersonic flight test as well as High altitude flight test... I could easily do it with rocket and powered landing. One take, while I spent hours modifying jets and land it safely couple of times.

>> There are ways to sneak through these condition. And with stock frantic SAS, flying a jet is a real pain. Maybe I will have to do something with this soon.

Reentry test can be finished by doing experiments anywhere instead of during reentry

Your thoughts for the following things?

- I don't think I want to farm vanilla contracts just to upgrade facilities.

- The progression is super fast compare to vanilla career. A more spreaded-out tech tree with less reward parts per contract will probably do the job but that will be a lot of work I presume.

Edited by CosmicSquirrel

-Snip-

I have landed on the grasslands around the KSC and then i tried to get on the runaway, with 10 m/s.

You can use with "B" the brakes and you can adjust their power when you rightclick the wheel. You should also disable the brake on the front wheel by setting the power to zero.

This is so awsome!

I was about to give opentree a try but then saw this .... it really puts a purpose in what im doing and since you almost use the same mods as me im quite happy with the compatibility! I find remotetech to advanced in some points but all the others are 1:1 my "essentials list". Im using kerbalengineer but since its in the startingnode there is no problem. I would only wish for smartstage support. Also there seems to be no problem with other contractpacks im using all works pretty well. I love this community this mod + contract packs + far + realchutes + dre this is so much more than the vanilla game. Keep updating and expanding, cant wait to see where this is going!! Thanks

Hi

This mod is perfect for KSP! Exactly what i wanted it to be in the first place when i started playng it. It should be likte that that you get more enginnering expirince with part tests etc and then envolve and can build new things....

Ok so here are a couple of things:

1. Could you include my science mod ? -> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120094-1-02-Mkerb-Inc-Science-Instruments-%28New-models-wanted%29%29

2. I would be willing to help write configs or what ever is needed to get some mods i like into the tree. (Tarsir Space telescopes for example.) So if you want help i just pm me with you skype handle and we can talk :-)

Also i have a question: Does it deactivate all the stock contracts, otherwise this would be a bit pointless.

Thanks for this great mod!

Including a parts mod is easy because its just crating a MM config file with this code for each part:

@PART[nameOfThePart]:AFTER[NameOfTheMod]
{
%TechRequired = techNode
}

Or yo can do it from the side of your mod:

@PART[nameOfThePart]:NEEDS[MissionBasedR&D]
{
%TechRequired = techNode
}

However, your mod adds science parts, and as such, they should be used in some contract to be meaningful. The beep experiment could be in the manned orbit mission, and the other 3 in the orbital science mission.

Missions can be altered with config files to add parameters (see the ContractConfigurator thread)

Can't perfectly nail the landing on first plane contract with FAR. Built one ugly plane, get altitude record, struggle with steering it back to KSC. Landed on the shore, can't slow it down fast enough, jumped at the runway, contract complete.

>> I suggest using condition update when leaving runway (Force to recover vessel while it is on runway only)

Yes, I should revise the contracts writing, a lot of stuff happens in the wrong situations.

For Supersonic flight test as well as High altitude flight test... I could easily do it with rocket and powered landing. One take, while I spent hours modifying jets and land it safely couple of times.

>> There are ways to sneak through these condition. And with stock frantic SAS, flying a jet is a real pain. Maybe I will have to do something with this soon.

It is hard to enforce the use of planes, Rockets are OP, and planes are hard to control. One thing I noticed is that FAR makes them harder to control.

Your thoughts for the following things?

- I don't think I want to farm vanilla contracts just to upgrade facilities.

The research contracts give quite some money, but I havent checked the balance yet.

- The progression is super fast compare to vanilla career. A more spreaded-out tech tree with less reward parts per contract will probably do the job but that will be a lot of work I presume.

Yes, the purpose of this mod was to get rid of the grinding, turns out the grinding was in there to extend the game lenght.

The only way to extend the progression in this mod is add more contracts. Maybe some R&D contracts could be made to become available on conditions other than the prerequisite tech nodes being unlocked. However i wont do that, at least not now.

I like it, but there isn't a possible way to get Funds expect the hard contracts? How about adding some randomly generated Contracts?

You can use other contract packs, there are quite a bit.

@IcepickJosh this contract worked fine for me dont know what could cause this issue.

(You could use the debug menu and set it as completed worked for my issue)

I have a different issue with the "Reentry Test" everything works fine and gets checked in the Contractsapp exept the "Return Home" option. I`ve tryed it several times it just does not recognize that i completed everything (recover vessel included). So you might wanna check on that. For now i just used the debug and completed the contract because im really into this mod and want to play it through.

PS: In the Administration Building bevore accepting the contract it says you have to do 1 experiment below 40k and at some speed and the other below 30k and at soe speed. If you accept the contract those points are gone. I wrote that down, accepted the contract, and completed those things as well, but it didnt work.

Found what was wrong :"Return Home" is bound to a landing on land!!!

Edited by maculator
got it

I'm having an odd issue with the "landing test" mission. I have completed the first requirement of sub orbital flight but once I'm landed, I can't get the contract to recognize that i've done the seismic scan or mystery goo experiments, as a result I can't unlock the landing tech. Any ideas what might be causing it?

http://i.imgur.com/7ENSdVy.png

Err, you have to launch a craft to the suborbital height and then use the experiment parts with that same craft after it lands.

The contract binds to the craft that gets into suborbital, to complete it youll have to cancel the contract, take it again, and do the entire mission with one craft.

@IcepickJosh this contract worked fine for me dont know what could cause this issue.

(You could use the debug menu and set it as completed worked for my issue)

I have a different issue with the "Reentry Test" everything works fine and gets checked in the Contractsapp exept the "Return Home" option. I`ve tryed it several times it just does not recognize that i completed everything (recover vessel included). So you might wanna check on that. For now i just used the debug and completed the contract because im really into this mod and want to play it through.

PS: In the Administration Building bevore accepting the contract it says you have to do 1 experiment below 40k and at some speed and the other below 30k and at soe speed. If you accept the contract those points are gone. I wrote that down, accepted the contract, and completed those things as well, but it didnt work.

Fixed that issue, apparently it was related to nested parameters in the contract not behaving like I expexted, now the condition for the experiments is lower atmosphere (under 18 km)

Found what was wrong :"Return Home" is bound to a landing on land!!!

That looks like an issue with Contract Configurator, Ill have to test it.

Didn`t see there was a 3rd page, so you might be right. The next contract ive done was going to oribt with a keral and it also said "return home" and it worked when i landed on land. So i assumed, since while i was testing i always landed in the ocean, that that caused the problem.

Since you mentioned contractconfigurator .... I loved the "Field Resarch" contracts but with this mod installed they dont work anymore. It dosnt recognice that im right next to the R&D. I can live without this pack, but i thought it was a nice addition to your mod.

And i completed the first heavy lifting contract (where you have to bring a 10ton vessel to orbit) with an 30T SSTO wich i shredded half way up at 17km, after i recovered the remains from the ocean, the contract was done...thats a bit odd

(I stil dont know if it has to be over 10ton when i reach orbit or the last stage got to weight ten tons including the fuel)

And i completed the first heavy lifting contract (where you have to bring a 10ton vessel to orbit) with an 30T SSTO wich i shredded half way up at 17km, after i recovered the remains from the ocean, the contract was done...thats a bit odd

(I stil dont know if it has to be over 10ton when i reach orbit or the last stage got to weight ten tons including the fuel)

The contract should complete when orbiting anything weighting 10 tons, fuel included.

Since you mentioned contractconfigurator .... I loved the "Field Resarch" contracts but with this mod installed they dont work anymore. It dosnt recognice that im right next to the R&D. I can live without this pack, but i thought it was a nice addition to your mod.

I checked and that contract pack works. What is exactly the problem you are having?

Edited by klefenz

Ok thanks good to know. But The curious thing is: i didnt even make it above 17000meters i started, and a few kilometers later i oversteered and ripped my ship apart, then when i recovered the remains it made "bing" and i got the mission completed.

So its the same for the 50k "Heavier lifting"- contract

Here is what exactly i have done if you want to reproduce it:

-Build a vessel capable of reaching orbit

-Orbit

-Go back to the spacecenter

-Enter VAB

-Build a SSTO-Rocket that weights above 50 Tons when empty

-Put on launchpad

-Launch

(I didnt pay attention but either its enough to put it on launchpad or you have to fly a bit, but when i noticed, the contract was completed, i was above 7km)

My guess:

It occured to me that sometimes when im in the VAB and check the contract conditions to build a suiting rocket, the contractapp stil thinks im in the "situation" when i left my last flight.

(For example: landed on minimus clicked return to ksc button and then when im in the VAB again building the next rocket, and i have a look at my contracts, all the ones taking place on minimus got their "situation" ticked green.)

--> "Alomst completed contract with first flight" + "New 50T Vessel" + "Game not updating the situation correctly" = Contract done

Sorry english is not my foreign language, but i hope you understand what i mean :(

Hopefully the last edit for today:

Contract: "Launch the kerbal Spacestation"

Problem: The Last part of it

"Collect science"

Cant seem to get it work done everything the contract wanted, as stated in the correct order.

So i came back to the station after 7Days, refreshed the materilalsbay and tryed to send it again, idnt work.

Now im curious; do i have to land that thing again? becaus it says "destionation Kerbin"? But its a station...

Contract: "Put a Kerbal in Orbit arround mun"

Problem: Same as the Reentry; landed in water, didn`t count.

Edited by maculator
more details

So i have a little questin: do i have to land on Eelo for the "longrange probe contract" or is it enough to just reach it?

And my resume sofar with only 3 contracts remaining:

This mod is more than worth a test, whoever reads this TESTPLAY IT it is fun as hell!

Im playing on Hard difficulty, with no reverting or quickloading and the money is fair enough. (also must add i turned off the "entrance purchase in R&D")

I also have Mission Controller 2, Contractpack: Kerbin Spacestation and Contractpack: Anomaly Surveyor installed. Those helped me along when i wasted too much money on contraptions wich didnt work out quite as i thought.

The Heavy Lifting Missions are all pretty hard, but i can confirm it is possible to do them!

When im done with the last few contracts, ill be able to give you a real and full resume.

thanks for the mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.