What top 10 (or less) mods couldn't you do without?

Mulbin

stockbugfix/KER/NavHud/KJR/Chatterer are more bugfixes than mods ;)

1) Other than those i really like all the procedural things, be it parts, tanks, fairings or wings.

2) Then there's the whole USI package in conjuction with EPL and TACLS, without them i wouldn't really be playing a lot, which need KAS/KIS of course.

3) The B9 pack i'd really love to see back on stage.

That would be the three mods i can't really live without :D

The mods to make things easier in regards to UI are things like

EditorExtensions, ActionGroupsExtended, Quickscroll, KAC, TAC FuelBalancer and RCS BuildAid

Thanks again to all of you modders

Main List

1 - Kerbal Engineer Redux. If you want to design rockets seriously, this is a must have.

2 - MechJeb. Also has engineer functionality and the autopilot saves a lot of time after you've done the same things repetitively. It also helps to standardise your launch profiles when testing rockets.

3 - EditorExtensions. Don't even try building without it.

4 - Kerbal Alarm Clock. Great for reminders and, not sure if it's needed anymore, but warping until SOI changes.

5 - Raster Prop Monitor. Makes IVA's both beautiful and functional.

6 - Docking Port Alignment Indicator. Makes docking actually a science and not guessing your orientation.

7 - HyperEdit. Must have for testing so you don't waste your time transporting ships that might not even work.

8 - TakeCommand. Let's you spawn Kerbals directly into command chairs.

9 - Thermometer. Lets you see a part's temperature by right clicking.

10 - Distant Object and CactEyes Telescope. The former lets you see dots in the sky for planets and adds star light blocking vision, and the latter is a telescope with science functionality.

Extras

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. Part connections weren't really fixed with 0.23.5 and this actually FIXES it.

FinalFrontier. Tracks where your Kerbals have been and gives them ribbons.

Kronal Vessel Viewer. View 2D or 3D images of your craft.

NavUtilities. Runway indicators for RPM.

VesselViewer. Ship visualisers for RPM.

HotRockets. Makes rocket exhaust beautiful.

CoolRockets. Adds ice effects upon launch and launch cryo boil off stuff.

pizzaoverhead's mods. Good for visuals.

WindowShine. Makes windows beautiful.

AeroGui. Displays aerodynamic stats.

LightsOut. Lets you toggle day and night in VAB and SPH.

PartAngleDisplay. Lets you adjust part fine tuning and displays their values.

KSP IRC. Use IRC chats in game.

Pilot Assistant. Plane autopilot and stats.

PlanetShine. Adds reflected light albedo effects.

ProbeControlRoom. IVA for probes.

Mulbin's Flags, UAL's flags, DirtyFace83's flags

In game Wiki viewer. Use the wiki in game.

BDArmoury. Fun stuff.

CameraTools. I don't know how to use it but I've heard it's useful.

ScanSat. Make maps of planets and moons.

Texture Replacer. Change the texture of stuff in game.

Filter Extensions. More filters.

Edited by Woopert

Must haves?

VOID (best HUD I've yet used; KER's is decent, but VOID's is better).

PreciseNode

Kerbal Alarm Clock

MechJeb (for the advanced transfer window, alt-tabbing out to a browser is a hassle)

Well, I am doing without them right now, but...

Must-haves:

• Kerbal Engineer Redux - Manually calculating delta-v and twr for multi-stage, asparagus-staged rockets is starting to get old. I'm glad I learned how to do it myself though.
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock - Manually checking all my mission maneuver times anytime I'm planning a new mission is starting to get old.
  • Science Alert - If I've got a scientist on board, I don't want to manually have to be checking which biome I'm flying over or when a new experiment is available... that's the scientist's job.
  • S.A.V.E - Automatic backups FTW.

Not quite must-haves, just really nice(This puts me over 10, but oh well):

• Chatterer
  • Contracts Window +
  • Waypoint Manager
  • Blizzy's Toolbar
  • CapCom

Those are some of my basic quality-of-life mods.

01. TAC Self-Destruct

02. ModuleManager

03. Chatterer

04. Kerbal Alarm Clock

05. RCS Build Aid

06. KAS/KIS (counts as 1)

07. Docking Port Alignment Indicator

08. Surface-Mounted Lights

09. Stock Bug Fixes

10. MJ or KER, taters totters

mechjeb nuff said

Kethane just love it for those long range mssions.

Kommet Nuclieonics nuclear rockets. its simple and easy to use.

kerbal alarm clock just helpful

science alert. tried it and liked it

I use:

- Chatter

For the nice spacey mood it adds

- RasterPropMonitors

For the nice immersive gameplay it adds

- SCANsat

because i love to see where i land and plan my missions, especially in combination with RasterPropMonitors

- DockingPortAllignmentIndicator (RPM Version)

for constructing large orbital structures, precise docking is a must and using it from inside the cockpit is fun

- Procedural Fairings

because the stock ones aren´t really thought through, they need some serious overhaul.*

- Stock Clamshell Fairings

to get at least rid of the confetti type separation of the stock fairings.

- Kerbal Engineer

for all its nice information displays and keeping the calculator out of my hand.

And thats it.

* I usually don´t lament about what i get in games, but the fairings have simply been hasted into the game.

I really had high hopes for the stock fairings, but honestly i am pretty disappointed. Here is what i dislike in detail:

- Bad interstage connections as the "loose end" does not really connect to the part above. Total lack of adding to the crafts structural stability

- Payload wobbling through the fairings and no option to strut the payload to the fairing.

- No use as an aeroshell as they can only be jettisoned completely but not in controlled ways

- No possibility to mount something to the side of the fairing

- No option to select out of how many slices the fairing is constructed. Gets essential when it comes to constellation type missions for example

- Total confetti overflow when building a round rocket tip and not using a mod to prevent this.

what i´d like to see:

- An ablative armor version would be very nice for building custom heat shields and aeroshells

Mechjeb.

That's it. I LIKE visual mods like EVE and Planetshine but I could live without them if need be. Heck, I can also do without Mechjeb, but I can just do so much more with it installed.

This is very useful info! Looks like most people play with stock parts plus gameplay mods (which is what my tech tree is designed for) rather than part packs... and "must have" part packs can be whittled down to quite a small list. Will be very helpful in making optional support for part packs

This may well be a side effect of the memory limitations. I know I'd love to install B9 and Near Future and a whole host of parts mods, but given the preloading of assets and the current 3.5GB ceiling, I just stick to those gameplay mods which make stock more fun for me.

In no particular order

• Contract configurator and a few contract pack: For the added diversity of contract.
  • Docking port alignment indicator: I could dock without, but if I want to align everything, its am must.
  • Kerbal alarm clock: Because a Space program should be able to run multiple missions at the same time.
  • Kerbal engineering Redux: For the DV readout during construction and in flight and the orbit info.
  • Mechjeb: For creating the maneuver node and their automatic execution.
  • Navhud: Because you can never have a big enough navball.
  • Stage Recovery: To try recoup cost of all those launcher part.
  • Station science: For giving some usefulness to space station beside the gas station.
  • Quick contract: For easily rejecting all those unwanted contracts with a single keystroke.
  • Infernal robotics: For when you need to fold your probe because it doesn't fit into the fairing.

no particular order :

-MechJeb

-USI life support

-protractor

-MKS/OKS

-ScanSAT

-KAS/KIS

-Kerbal Alarm Clock

-Karbonite

-Crew Manifest

-TAC fuel balancer

I'm playing this game on a Win7 machine with 16G memory -- which the game is not able to use. Kind of limits how many mods I can play with. Hopefully they will eventually fix that.

Nobody can use more than 4gb (except on linux 64), i am also playing win7 +8Gb and can support a bunch of mods without any issues.

Edited by Zzabur

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.