North Korea's 5th satellite attempt-7th Feb 2016

10 hours ago, billbobjebkirk said:

When North Korea ratified the OST, Kim Jong Il was in charge. Kim Jong Un, however, has shown a bit more proprnsity towards aggressiveness. The sad truth is that North Korea as an institution cares nothing for space, and uses these sattelites for no purpose other than propaganda to continue the enslavement of their own citizens.

Guys, this is getting really political

2 hours ago, fredinno said:

Guys, this is getting really political

Makes me wonder if the term 'politics' apply in a case when there aren't multiple parties or candidates. Where's the 'poly' in that?

(i refuse to believe that the word comes from the greek term for 'city' instead of 'multiple bloodsucking insctes')

10 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Why would a one time cost of a few hundreds of million be an issue when the first strike or retaliatory capability is at stake? USA is already spending more than 10 billion per year just to maintain the nuclear arsenal.

Because it's faster to fuel up and launch an ICBM than to wait until your orbital platform is over the target to deorbit a nuke. And an orbital nuke launcher isn't really stealthy.

4 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

Because it's faster to fuel up and launch an ICBM than to wait until your orbital platform is over the target to deorbit a nuke. And an orbital nuke launcher isn't really stealthy.

It is also a lot more obvious.

Also, it's not a nuke, it's an "Earth observing meteorological sat".

Well hello guys. Not going to lie, I completely forgot about this thread (despite the fact I was technically the 'head' of it...) I guess the reason I left was because a large amount of nothing happened between the last update and now. However there were other reasons such as the North doing multiple questionable things which greatly turned me off supporting this thread. However if I go by this with the opinion of neutral-negative and have more of a "guard watch" approach rather then supportive interest then I suppose I can keep giving updates.

Update

Anyway with that out of the way I suppose its time to talk about what's happening over there in the hermit kingdom. As you may have heard there is a moderate number of vehicles in the area. So far they have been operating by removing snow and what I assume is maintenance; while many are claiming this must be them preparing for a launch, from what I have seen I honestly believe it's just winter maintenance. So far there has been no evidence that what is occurring is launch preparations.

Now what is interesting however is the construction they have finished in the engine test area.

Fig5B_Sohae-012816.jpg

As you can see they have constructed a rail transporter like the one on the launch pad. A very odd addition, it's possible it contains cranes inside in order to lift heavier things.

That's all for now, as I said I doubt anything will be happening soon so for now I will wait. 

Edited by xenomorph555

4 minutes ago, xenomorph555 said:

However there were other reasons such as the North doing multiple questionable things which greatly turned me off supporting this thread. 

When does the North NOT do questionable things?

If I was Kim I would name the space agency KSP :sticktongue: Korean Space Program! That can lead onto KSC. 

In seriousness, let us hope that this brings a step forwards for NK into a peaceful space age. 

https://www.rt.com/news/331082-north-korea-satellite-launch/

Apparently the launch is later this month.

Edited by worir4

52 minutes ago, worir4 said:

If I was Kim I would name the space agency KSP :sticktongue: Korean Space Program! That can lead onto KSC. 

In seriousness, let us hope that this brings a step forwards for NK into a peaceful space age. 

https://www.rt.com/news/331082-north-korea-satellite-launch/

Apparently the launch is later this month.

welp here we go...

1 hour ago, fredinno said:

When does the North NOT do questionable things?

Good point, maybe I hoping for less questionable things under new leadership. Either way we shouldn't discuss this here.

According to the attitude of people around me, if DPRK's Kwangmyogsong flight fails like their other ones (that I know of), they will be laughed at, and considered pathetic and "thinking they're higher than everyone else". If they succeed, the world will slow-clap sarcastically, then exclaim "wow! You made one WHOLE launch! Well done, you finally entered the sixties!"

Of course, this is wrong on some levels, but I'll agree that they're a little late to the party, and quite lacking in success. Of course, I'll not be so radical about it.

Edited by Matuchkin

Update

NADA have filed a notification to the  International Maritime Organization (IMO) and International Telecommunication Union (ITU) that it would launch K-4 (an earth observation satellite) between Feb 8-25.

Tanker trucks have begun delivering fuel to the fuel/oxidiser tanks at the launch complex. As well as this there is activity at the horizontal processing building. It's possible they will launch within the next two weeks.

Everyone go into high alert mode!

Edited by xenomorph555

Don't get me wrong, I don't like North Korea's government or policies, but laughing at them for 'being late' is quite ridiculous, considering that at least they actually HAVE a space program unlike a huge amount of other countries who don't. Also consider that since they barely have any international relations, most of their stuff they have to make it themselves (albeit much of it is copied from Chinese or Russian stuff). Obviously the country should have other priorities than rockets, but I don't think any of those will be addressed any time soon anyway...

The BBC has an article on it but it is filled with political stuff and hasn't got much info on the rocket it self. The only thing it gives about the rocket is the payload: ''The payload was presumed to weigh 200kg (440lbs), double the size of the one launched in 2012, but much lighter than the 800-1,500kg usual for a satellite''. 

29 minutes ago, A35K said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like North Korea's government or policies, but laughing at them for 'being late' is quite ridiculous, considering that at least they actually HAVE a space program unlike a huge amount of other countries who don't. Also consider that since they barely have any international relations, most of their stuff they have to make it themselves (albeit much of it is copied from Chinese or Russian stuff). Obviously the country should have other priorities than rockets, but I don't think any of those will be addressed any time soon anyway...

Number one country priority is to being independent and without rockets and satellites you can't be independent country today.

I am laughing at anyone who is talking that Korea, or any other country, that develops their own space program is dangerous, they are dangerous only to U$A economical domination. Since end of WWII we live under US hegemony and if even single country gets rockets (independence), then others will try to do that as well and current world order will fall apart.

USA can't force independent country to do what they wants... because with independent country you have to negotiate like equal with equal... but it is cheaper to order US allies to make more sanctions, more economical pressure and even more wars only for democracy, of course, to keep current order.

Dude, stop. This is a thread about rocket launch(es), not geopolitics. If you want to voice your opinion on that matter, i'm sure you'll find plenty of forums more appropriate than this one. We like to talk science, rockets and space here.

Is there any information about the satellite itself? Do we know if its more than a big brick? It should send sonething on some frequencys if its realy working...

If i were the USA i would lauch something like the X37 to inspect that thing, maybe put it in the cargobay and bring it down for futher study. I would love to see Kims face when he has to watch someone taking his toy apart...

Christ, I just woke up to this, I could hear the dramatic chipmunk sound effect in my head...

Update

Anyway yes, North Korea have launched a rocket. As we can see in the few pictures we have it is an Unha class vehicle.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/feb/07/north-korea-announces-long-range-rocket-launch-video

No news on if successful yet.

Edited by xenomorph555

6 hours ago, Redshift OTF said:

I don't get news agencies. They are all saying they don't know what kind of range this rocket has but if it put something in orbit wouldn't it have the range to deliver a nuke any where on Earth? Or is that too simple?

Not always. Something like the Redstone can put stuff into orbit, but is still a SRBM, as it lacks the payload capacity to carry a nuke a long distance.

5 hours ago, worir4 said:

The BBC has an article on it but it is filled with political stuff and hasn't got much info on the rocket it self. The only thing it gives about the rocket is the payload: ''The payload was presumed to weigh 200kg (440lbs), double the size of the one launched in 2012, but much lighter than the 800-1,500kg usual for a satellite''. 

That's actually a pretty sizable satellite- it's the size of a modern smallsat. Not bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor-Ablestar

On the other hand, I would think that NK's newest rocket would be a IRBM, as the similar Thor-Ablestar had a similar payload capacity- and it looks like both have a similar upper stage of sorts attached to them. So, no, that's darn good for NK.

5 hours ago, Elthy said:

Is there any information about the satellite itself? Do we know if its more than a big brick? It should send sonething on some frequencys if its realy working...

If i were the USA i would lauch something like the X37 to inspect that thing, maybe put it in the cargobay and bring it down for futher study. I would love to see Kims face when he has to watch someone taking his toy apart...

I'm pretty sure X37 and NK sats are not in the same inclination- though I understand why the DOD might want to do that if they launch another one....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.