SpaceX falcon 9 has launched!

bandit4910

I didn\'t even know there was a launch. I checked my twitter feed, found a launch pic. Searched on YT found that. When was the launch?

00:44 this morning, pacific time. Really exciting, it doesn\'t matter how many I\'ve watched, they always put butterflies in my stomach. Especially when they\'re potentially this significant. (I\'m a big SpaceX fan, in case you hadn\'t noticed :P)

Guest GroundHOG-2010

I didn\'t even know there was a launch. I checked my twitter feed, found a launch pic. Searched on YT found that. When was the launch?

7.44am UTC

I am subscribed to KurtJMac, who went to the Nasa Social for that, but didn\'t get to see the launch. Its was broudcasted live on both Nasa TV and the Space X website.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Also, it was a combustion chamber\'s pressure being too high, caused by a broken check valve.

Great news, I look forward to the first manned test. That this has gone so perfectly despite setbacks shows that SpaceX has huge potential.

Wait... This isn\'t manned 0_o... They have A LOT of cameras in that rocket then...

Wait... This isn\'t manned 0_o... They have A LOT of cameras in that rocket then...

Yeah this was just the first test of the unmanned ISS resupply capability, it\'s not even filled with important cargo. I think the manned capsule flight test is scheduled for next year but i am not sure. In between then and now i expect them to do a load more resupply missions with more important stuff.

Yeah this was just the first test of the unmanned ISS resupply capability, it\'s not even filled with important cargo. I think the manned capsule flight test is scheduled for next year but i am not sure.

It\'s not supposed to fly manned until 2016 or 17.

Really? That\'s a little disappointing; with all their progress i thought they had a larger momentum than that.

They\'re not remotely done with the abort or life support systems, and their rocket\'s only flown three times; they\'ll want a lot more test flights before they decide it\'s ready for crewed launches.

They\'re not remotely done with the abort or life support systems, and their rocket\'s only flown three times; they\'ll want a lot more test flights before they decide it\'s ready for crewed launches.

Yeah that\'s true, but the impression i had was that most of the systems were largely done and it was only this repeated testing of increasing complexity that they had left. I guess a couple extra years isn\'t so bad.

Slowly, slowly.

Remember that in the scheme of things, getting a new (state of the art) spacecraft from its first cargo flight to manned flights inside 4 years is actually pretty good going. Yes, Apollo was faster; but that was a spacecraft with the entire space resources of a nation being fed into it. We neither want nor need the USA to shut down all its other space programs to get Dragon carrying people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.