[1.6.1] Chaka Monkey 161

YANFRET

Hey, I just downloaded your mod, and am trying to replicate the SLS Mission Concepts released by Boeing a few years back. I am wondering if you would happen to know if there is any way using your mod to replicate the Lunar Radio Telescope mission. here's the link: http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/defense-space/space/sls/docs/sls_mission_booklet_jan_2014.pdf If you scroll down, you'll see it. The problem is I don't know how to make it so that the orion would sit on top of an interstage adapter so that underneath it I could house a secondary payload. Would you know of any way I could do this?

On 2/7/2016 at 4:43 PM, KerbalCommander117 said:

Hey, I just downloaded your mod, and am trying to replicate the SLS Mission Concepts released by Boeing a few years back. I am wondering if you would happen to know if there is any way using your mod to replicate the Lunar Radio Telescope mission. here's the link: http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/defense-space/space/sls/docs/sls_mission_booklet_jan_2014.pdf If you scroll down, you'll see it. The problem is I don't know how to make it so that the orion would sit on top of an interstage adapter so that underneath it I could house a secondary payload. Would you know of any way I could do this?

We messed around with using the angled fairing to stash payload but we would need to model a petal adapter in order to make it easy to get the payload out. Doing so with procedural fairings is problematic with the angle as well. It also looks a bit silly on orbit ( subjective )

As a compromise, we have the well developed Orion Plus TM  series of vehicles which include a habitat module tucked between the ICPS and Orion. You could stash all kinds of neat items in there because the fairing is procedural. Just make sure it has substantial node strength top and bottom. Also with these types of craft the staging can get pretty complicated in the VAB when you start making adjustments, it's very easy to loose track of which decoupler goes where in the staging order because as you separate and re assemble the craft, it can move them around, and they all look the same in the tree. :(

If you can wait a few minutes I'm gonna put up a beta zip for 1.0.5B here which has a much improved Orion Plus series of craft files as well as the latest Orion revision which greatly improves stability while docking and also has a lower parts count.

From a mission planning perspective, Chaka's flight rules tend to favour sending up Orion on it's own with the least complicated rocket possible for mission requirements, docking with the target spacecraft at the objective orbit.

EDIT:

That said, it can be done this way:

FKAKQT.jpgbLa597.jpgSt5QYa.jpgrXd1j8.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Chaka 1.0.5B Beta Test Download Zip

♦ Please start clean with new save

♦ Full implementation of 1.1 spec Chaka Dock Port Config (craft & save breaking)

♦ Major overhaul of Orion flight control dynamics

♦ Many new or updated craft files

Chaka 1.0.5B Download Zip

VXetHt.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

@YANFRETsince you are going to be breaking crafts, could you make some changes to part names?

XSMALL Kosmos_TKS_RCS_Tank
XSMALL Kosmos_TKS_RCS_TankXxxf
XNP_lft_ 375 x3
XNP_lft_ 375x3SHORT
XDiusNP_lf222t_ 375 x3i
XDiusNP_lf333222t_ 375 x3i
IUSXNP_lft_ 3322HORTx23
IUSXNP_lft_ 375x3S222HORT
IUSXNP_lft_ 3322HORT
XNPdecouplerstack85M HS

Mainly to remove the spaces from the names (they may be considered invalid characters some time in the future, it is a bug that KSP allows that).

Because a lot of time was spent on this great mod, i must take a few minutes of my own to help the people behind it realize that it is unusable as is.

1) Inflatable shields Exploding or not shielding at all:

a) When the ships is loaded, the I.S. is always inflated !
b) When placing a part on top of the I.S., it often sits too deeply inside the shield. This causes the part to be exposed during re-entry. Also, i noticed that in some cases, one in orbit, the fact that the part in entangled deeply inside the I.S. part makes the physics engine go nuts. The ship shakes and turn uncontrollably... then explode !

2) HAB modules don't do science :

Am i right to assume that we should be able to use the various HAB modules as fully functional "Processing Labs"  ?... Cause if so, it can send "data" and it can send "Science", but there is never any science to send since the menu doesn't offert any "Start Research" option !... So even if the module is containing "Scientists" and is surrounded by sensing equipments, it will never produce any science !

3) ALTAIR Explorer II modules shouldn't be released at all :

I already wrote a comment on this forum about this. This module doesn't offer a way to extract its occupants !... Also, it doesn't show that it has occupants !
In "Career" code, one mission consists of rescuing a kerbal stranded around the Mun. This kerbal is waiting in this particular defective module. It's a bit frustrating to do the entire mission to realize at the end that the kerbal we must save will never be able to get out of his coffin !

4) Many complex, undocumented and badly sized parts :

Many parts, adapters, interstages, fuel tanks, etc... are not designed to be used without proper documentation, examples, notices, etc. They are obviously met to be used in a specific way and in conjunction with other specific parts. In addition, because those Chaka parts aren't properly managed under proper "manufacturer", "sizes", "function" tabs, this makes the entire mod messy and frustrating to use.

CONCLUSION :

The mod is obviously the result of months and months of hard work by dedicated individual(s?). So much quality in all these parts yet such major defects prevents your users from installing and using your mod. 

I don't think your mod should be listed as KSP 1.0.5 compatible yet.

19 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@YANFRETsince you are going to be breaking crafts, could you make some changes to part names?

XSMALL Kosmos_TKS_RCS_Tank
XSMALL Kosmos_TKS_RCS_TankXxxf
XNP_lft_ 375 x3
XNP_lft_ 375x3SHORT
XDiusNP_lf222t_ 375 x3i
XDiusNP_lf333222t_ 375 x3i
IUSXNP_lft_ 3322HORTx23
IUSXNP_lft_ 375x3S222HORT
IUSXNP_lft_ 3322HORT
XNPdecouplerstack85M HS

Mainly to remove the spaces from the names (they may be considered invalid characters some time in the future, it is a bug that KSP allows that).

Yep! good idea. Thanks for digging those up

9 hours ago, younitty said:

Because a lot of time was spent on this great mod, i must take a few minutes of my own to help the people behind it realize that it is unusable as is.

1) Inflatable shields Exploding or not shielding at all:

a) When the ships is loaded, the I.S. is always inflated !
b) When placing a part on top of the I.S., it often sits too deeply inside the shield. This causes the part to be exposed during re-entry. Also, i noticed that in some cases, one in orbit, the fact that the part in entangled deeply inside the I.S. part makes the physics engine go nuts. The ship shakes and turn uncontrollably... then explode !

2) HAB modules don't do science :

Am i right to assume that we should be able to use the various HAB modules as fully functional "Processing Labs"  ?... Cause if so, it can send "data" and it can send "Science", but there is never any science to send since the menu doesn't offert any "Start Research" option !... So even if the module is containing "Scientists" and is surrounded by sensing equipments, it will never produce any science !

3) ALTAIR Explorer II modules shouldn't be released at all :

I already wrote a comment on this forum about this. This module doesn't offer a way to extract its occupants !... Also, it doesn't show that it has occupants !
In "Career" code, one mission consists of rescuing a kerbal stranded around the Mun. This kerbal is waiting in this particular defective module. It's a bit frustrating to do the entire mission to realize at the end that the kerbal we must save will never be able to get out of his coffin !

4) Many complex, undocumented and badly sized parts :

Many parts, adapters, interstages, fuel tanks, etc... are not designed to be used without proper documentation, examples, notices, etc. They are obviously met to be used in a specific way and in conjunction with other specific parts. In addition, because those Chaka parts aren't properly managed under proper "manufacturer", "sizes", "function" tabs, this makes the entire mod messy and frustrating to use.

CONCLUSION :

The mod is obviously the result of months and months of hard work by dedicated individual(s?). So much quality in all these parts yet such major defects prevents your users from installing and using your mod. 

I don't think your mod should be listed as KSP 1.0.5 compatible yet.

Your issues with the inflatable products have not been reported before, please try with a clean install and let us know what is conflicting.

Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems is a craft pack. Parts included are for the purpose of the included craft files. It is not designed to be a lego style parts pack. 

Altair is broken, a fix is pending with the manufacturer, two Monkey Action Tickets are open on the issue and have been documented in the forum. This download is for beta testing of the next update, and Altair will either be replaced or fixed before the next full update.

I will check on the HAB science modules, didnt know there was a button missing there.

Your requirements for a mod seem to differ somewhat from other users, if the pack does not meet your needs then please feel free to discard or modify it to suit your situation.

Edited by YANFRET

1 hour ago, YANFRET said:

modify it to suit your situation.

That's me. This pack has some of the most beautiful textures in all the KSP world. I use this mod to extract your artwork and re-purpose them for my own crafts (using custom hand-made PARTs or by adding texture= into a MODEL config). I love this mod just the way it is. Love love love it.

On 2/12/2016 at 11:51 PM, KerbalCommander117 said:

So I've downloaded the 1.0.5B hot fix, but I'm relatively new to this, so what do I do with it? Do I replace the current CMES mod with this or what do I do? 

Yes that beta download is a complete replacement. To use, remove everything first.

Edited by YANFRET

7 hours ago, KerbalCommander117 said:

Ok so if I close out ksp, remove CMES, then replace it with 1.0.5b then open it back up, everything will be the same? My stations and missions won't be gone or corrupted will they? 

As noted with the download, we have migrated 100% to the new dockport spec, and removed the old dock port files, so you may have some craft in your save that break. An alternative is you can copy the 1.0.5B cmes folder on top of your old CMES folder, replacing all files, and you will retain the old dock port parts, this may help if you have a lander somewhere that you like but has the old dock port on it.

On 2/10/2016 at 4:56 PM, YANFRET said:

Your issues with the inflatable products have not been reported before, please try with a clean install and let us know what is conflicting.

That's not the same shield that was from Deadly Reentry, is it? Because that shield did have some pretty serious issues. (which is why it's not in Deadly Reentry any more....

Hello all on the CMES thread, long time no see. Recently picked up KSP again, and of course downloaded my favourite monkey-themed mod right away.

Anyway, thought this is relevant to our interests:  http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/02/nasa-enforce-early-switch-eus-sls/

Any chance we can expect an orange EUS/TALUS? I actually like the grey, but maybe an orange interstage would be nice!

EDIT:

Also, a question: CMES and rbray's mods (Active Texture Management and Dynamic Texture Loader) aren't cooperating: With both installed, I have access to most of the Chaka parts, but none of the habitats in the command pod tab. These parts just don't exist, it seems. I cannot load the craft files that include these parts.

I'm making due without the ATM and such for now. But for the sake of my huge GameData folder, is there any possible fix? Has this issue come up recently? (I did try it with a clean install, just CMES and DTL, same issue came up)

Edited by Budgie

Its more comparable to the new SLS infrastructure. Its not a parts pack, but a craft files pack with the parts to make those crafts viable. It has a pretty large memory footprint, but provides you with multiple versions of the SLS rocket, the Delta IV rocket (called the Evolved Monkey Launch Vehicle, EMLV) and the Falcon 9 rocket (called the Advanced Monkey Launch Vehicle), as well as a huge array of payloads for these rockets, including Orion, two kinds of landers (for airless and atmosphere bodies), a couple space stations, a rover and multiple surface bases).

You can definitely make your own crafts with these parts, but the parts aren't at the same diameters as stock, so be aware of this

On 2/16/2016 at 9:51 AM, Budgie said:

Hello all on the CMES thread, long time no see. Recently picked up KSP again, and of course downloaded my favourite monkey-themed mod right away.

Anyway, thought this is relevant to our interests:  http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/02/nasa-enforce-early-switch-eus-sls/

Any chance we can expect an orange EUS/TALUS? I actually like the grey, but maybe an orange interstage would be nice!

EDIT:

Also, a question: CMES and rbray's mods (Active Texture Management and Dynamic Texture Loader) aren't cooperating: With both installed, I have access to most of the Chaka parts, but none of the habitats in the command pod tab. These parts just don't exist, it seems. I cannot load the craft files that include these parts.

I'm making due without the ATM and such for now. But for the sake of my huge GameData folder, is there any possible fix? Has this issue come up recently? (I did try it with a clean install, just CMES and DTL, same issue came up)

My I like that upper stage! 

I haven't browsed around on nasaspaceflight for a while, but you can always count on Orange Foam products from Chaka. I'll take a look!

I'm glad you mentioned the ATM /DTL issues with the habitats. We will have a look at the texture formats and report back. Your Monkey Action Ticket number is 474-88935A. 

Would you be so kind as to let us know if any other parts dont show up with these texture management tools installed?

Welcome Back Budgie!! Regards,

Y.C.

On 2/16/2016 at 11:18 AM, the.fllying.ace said:

So how many parts does this come with? Is this basically the constellation program as a mod?

259! and no. :P Happy flying

A quick album showing some stuff you can do with CMES parts. This shows my second Near-Kerbin Expedition to Skylab II (launched on an SLS Block IB) with an Orion and Exploration Habitat (ExHab), launched on a Delta IV/EMLV III Heavy.

As you can see, I've added the circular solar panels and large rectangular ones from Near Future Solar, and antennae and dishes from AIES Aerospace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.