[1.6.1] Chaka Monkey 161

YANFRET

These various proposals, alongside the fresher ones depicted for the ARM mission, which they produced when the service module was announced, along with also the "Deep Space Habitat" which they have made a mock up of for ergonomic testing, are all the inspiration for Chaka's "Exploration Habitat" and "Minimus Express" crafts.

Looking at that picture I really like the "micro node" with ports all over it and it's transverse alignment in the stack. It's a little sci fi which is neat.

- - - Updated - - -

I made a combination Orion/Altair on a SLS Block II craft, because i didn't want to send the two up and dock them ill post a craft soon.

Craft:https://www.dropbox.com/s/87zmhpvtmdnq8e2/SLS%20BLOCK%20II%20-%20ORION-Altair.craft?dl=0

http://i.imgur.com/uBpLb8A.png

http://i.imgur.com/UEv3keF.png

http://i.imgur.com/nMY4U0p.png

So what would happen in an abort scenario?

It looks like you're depicting an upper stage with four J2-X engines which is a lot of mass and power, with a common inner bulkhead tank on top of the TALUS separate stack H2/LOX config, which for me is like using a refrigerator taped to the roof of a car and some dryer hose to air condition the vehicle :P

And that is absolutely fine if you had fun! I'm glad you're enjoying the pack and please feel free to continue to share screenshots and other stuff.

EDIT: We had always intended EMLV II to support SLS Munar 1x it works out pretty well.

Edited by YANFRET

- - - Updated - - -

So what would happen in an abort scenario?

It looks like you're depicting an upper stage with four J2-X engines which is a lot of mass and power, with a common inner bulkhead tank on top of the TALUS separate stack H2/LOX config, which for me is like using a refrigerator taped to the roof of a car and some dryer hose to air condition the vehicle :P

And that is absolutely fine if you had fun! I'm glad you're enjoying the pack and please feel free to continue to share screenshots and other stuff.

Well, its funky but it works. I suppose it would abort as a regular orion would. I had to fire the abort manually (decouple the backshell using menu option, same with abort tower) which worked fine. Note for the craft: getting out of the way of the adapter between orion and altair is tricky.

Oh I get it. Orion stack as per normal and the fairing in cylindrical mode. I cant load the craft right now to look.

If you mess around with upper tanks other than TALUS and use only two or for RD-480 engines, you might not need the double tank setup, and then it would be a pretty great craft.

Interesting bug: if i have a inflatable shield (I'm using the 1.5 meter one, it might only affect it). if it is stowed in the van it is extended in flight. Could just be me, not really hard to retract on the pad.

W8X1JLV.png

gBflMm4.png

Edited by DarthVader

Possible bug. I've noticed that the view from the windows of the Ares when in IVA mode is 180 degrees off. When it was pointed at the sky during re-entry I could see the ground going past the window. It's a tiny thing, and it doesn't distract from this being the best new mod in ages.

Interesting bug: if i have a inflatable shield (I'm using the 1.5 meter one, it might only affect it). if it is stowed in the van it is extended in flight. Could just be me, not really hard to retract on the pad.

http://i.imgur.com/W8X1JLV.png

http://i.imgur.com/gBflMm4.png

We've never encountered that issue

EDIT: I wonder if the CFG for that size has start deployed = 1 or something similar, I'll check it out tonight.

I have, dont open it in the VAB or that happens.

â–² In other words handle flight hardware in a clean room and don't push buttons for curiosity's sake hahahaha

Possible bug. I've noticed that the view from the windows of the Ares when in IVA mode is 180 degrees off. When it was pointed at the sky during re-entry I could see the ground going past the window. It's a tiny thing, and it doesn't distract from this being the best new mod in ages.

Neat! I'm gonna check that out. And thanks!

...which for me is like using a refrigerator taped to the roof of a car and some dryer hose to air condition the vehicle :P

Dear Most Brilliant Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems Engineers,

We, your most staunch and loyal customer, at Voidryder's Aerospace salute the creativity you have expressed with such an elegant solution to the problem of boosting Flight Crew morale. I have instructed my Director of Corporation Dogma and Recreation to commence immediately and without delay, the application of refrigerators to the car roofs of all Flight Crews who complete a successful mission. At this time however, all flexible hose is being used in Habitat Module construction and will require installation at a later date.

Sincerely,

The Grand Designer,

Voidryder's Aerospace

Hey guys so the only "issue" if you could even call it that. Is I miss having the 3 attachment nodes on the maneuvering engine for the Orion. Made part clipping it inside air breathing engines (two stage OMS and atmospheric engines) super simple. But with the new node attachment rules I guess I can see why you switched to two nodes. (one extra part and I made it work anyway) So instead of complaining, I will simply say.

Thank you for all the hard work and the new parts are awesome! Keep up the great work

Hey guys so the only "issue" if you could even call it that. Is I miss having the 3 attachment nodes on the maneuvering engine for the Orion. Made part clipping it inside air breathing engines (two stage OMS and atmospheric engines) super simple. But with the new node attachment rules I guess I can see why you switched to two nodes. (one extra part and I made it work anyway) So instead of complaining, I will simply say.

Thank you for all the hard work and the new parts are awesome! Keep up the great work

You're most welcome!

The specific technical reason for the change was that the structural line between the booster and Orion was going through the engine's little node before, which is bad, even if with KJR it's possible to get away with. Previously we were getting a minor oscillation because of that weak point in the structure.

The new setup transfers the launch vehicle force directly into the service module.

Side note since we're on the subject; Chaka's rockets are all pretty well made in terms of structural rigidity, such that you really could use them without KJR. The reason we switched to including KJR in 1.0.2 is that the latest KSP has a springy force on some parts that you can't overcome with node size. Overcoming that would require struts and raised parts count etc.

If the next version of KSP fixes this issue we will be able to drop KJR entirely, because all the craft are perfectly rigid enough without it other than the new spring issue.

- - - Updated - - -

When I look at that diagram I see the Monkey Transfer Vehicle if you had to break it down into Ariane V - launchable bites ( mass, fairing diameter constraints )

Edited by YANFRET

what happened to vulkan? you posted pictures and there are some parts that are labeled for vulkan but not a complete set and no .craft files. were they not ready for release?.

First, it doesn't fit neatly into this pack. Even though Delta IV is overpriced and getting shut down in a few years, we have EMLV system and are very invested in it here.

Vulcan is a future system proposal and even though we have strong ideas about what it will really look like, it is kind of up in the air.

So if we do move forward with it, I feel like it should be a separate pack.

Another issue, in it's first generation Vulcan will be a Centaur based system. Chaka focuses on future human spaceflight through the Kerbal analogue. So we shop for high mass, high volume payloads that go relatively short distances. Centaur is better suited to exploration probes and smaller craft looking for higher velocities. We have made a few Centaur mock up models, they look great and the Vulcan prototypes we made look great too, but it doesn't really fit with the human space flight program.

Ever notice that the really large Air Force payloads go up on Delta? That upper stage can lift some seriously heavy stuff. It is made to lift things that were designed to go up in Shuttle, that's why they made Delta after Challenger. So the Station components which were also designed for shuttle ( and Orion as it turns out ) are a natural fit with Delta. That's why we use it.

We ran into the same paradox when we became interested in modeling the HII-B, which NoOneSpecial actually made a beautiful model of and shipped it to Chaka's Factory in nicely labeled boxes.

Were we to finish the product and or include it in Chaka, it would be another chunk of ram with only one or two Chaka related payloads it could support. So that's on the shelf for now as well.

Edited by YANFRET

First, it doesn't fit neatly into this pack. Even though Delta IV is overpriced and getting shut down in a few years, we have EMLV system and are very invested in it here.

Vulcan is a future system proposal and even though we have strong ideas about what it will really look like, it is kind of up in the air.

So if we do move forward with it, I feel like it should be a separate pack.

Another issue, in it's first generation Vulcan will be a Centaur based system. Chaka focuses on future human spaceflight through the Kerbal analogue. So we shop for high mass, high volume payloads that go relatively short distances. Centaur is better suited to exploration probes and smaller craft looking for higher velocities. We have made a few Centaur mock up models, they look great and the Vulcan prototypes we made look great too, but it doesn't really fit with the human space flight program.

Ever notice that the really large Air Force payloads go up on Delta? That upper stage can lift some seriously heavy stuff. It is made to lift things that were designed to go up in Shuttle, that's why they made Delta after Challenger. So the Station components which were also designed for shuttle ( and Orion as it turns out ) are a natural fit with Delta. That's why we use it.

We ran into the same paradox when we became interested in modeling the HII-B, which NoOneSpecial actually made a beautiful model of and shipped it to Chaka's Factory in nicely labeled boxes.

Were we to finish the product and or include it in Chaka, it would be another chunk of ram with only one or two Chaka related payloads it could support. So that's on the shelf for now as well.

Uhm, you're mistaken about Delta. Titan IV was made after Challenger.

Yes that's true... my point was that the heritage of the Delta IV goes back to payloads originally designed for Shuttle, Titan was on the shelf so they maxed it out to lift payloads coming off shuttle as a stop gap, having four launch failures along the way, then started the EELV program leading to Delta IV to finally put that issue to rest.

... and therefor we find Delta IV a more natural vehicle for lifting 5 meter station parts than a Vulcan with a tall and narrow Centaur stage, especially considering we have the Delta IV inspired system on the shelf.

It's no coincidence that the NROL birds and Hubble have very similar footprints

Z891.jpg

Also that it was the Air Force who specified the capacity of Shuttle's bay in the first place, and their loss of faith after Challenger led (through Titan IV as you said) ultimately to Delta IV

... and then that brings us full circle to the future second generation Vulcan with its Advanced Cryogenic Evolved Stage ... which we would need to make from scratch... and so I think we need that before Chaka gets Vulcan.

Edited by YANFRET

That's hilarious I just saw the trailer for that like an hour ago and my first thought was, wow, someone went Kerbal with some ISS parts then couldn't leave it alone so they dipped into the Avatar parts bin as well.

I hope they installed Kerbal Joint Reinforcement!!

Also thank you for gracing this forum page with such a beautiful image! haha

I will watch that movie just for the phrase "Science the .... out of this"

I'm sure you will watch it for more than that, and I'm also sure it will inspire you a lot, if R.Scott can use it's (nowadays faded) magic we'll have a good Martian mission movie at last!

â–² In other words handle flight hardware in a clean room and don't push buttons for curiosity's sake hahahaha

Neat! I'm gonna check that out. And thanks!

I've checked it myself again, here's the exterior & interior views:

10iawdc.png

in9udk.jpg

I may also have found a little problem with the CHAKA/NOS Altair Explorer pod. It doesn't seem to have a crew hatch that's clickable to allow transfers without EVA.

But still, this is a great mod and I love it!

Dear Great Explorer Fingal,

We, your most ardent admirers, at Voidryder's Aerospace wish to congratulate you on what appears to be a successful orbiting of the moon Minmus. Regarding your report of difficulties with Altair pod hatch and crew transfer, I humbly refer you to Posts 95 and 96 of these communiques.

At the time of this writing, internal transfer of crew is only possible with use of either Crew Manifest or Ship Manifest apparatus. Both known to work. Our own Voidryder Aerospace Engineers in an attempt to steal understand the science behind these two apparatuses believe that somehow the devices reduce a Kerbelnaut to the consistency of soup and pour them through a straw-like device into the other spacecraft, where they are reconstituted.

I sincerely hopes this information helps you in your endeavours to explore space.

Respectfully,

The Grand Designer

Voidryder's Aerospace

Post Script: Soup of any kind is to be no longer served in Voidryder's Aerospace's cafeteria starting immediately.

Edited by Voidryder

HEHE to funny really feeling the love now :)

EDIT- Sad part is sometimes someone post me what, I said and ask what did, I mean and, I'm like looking at it trying to see what the hell, I was trying to say :) maybe more sleep or coffee lol

Edited by Mecripp2

Dear Chief Program Director Yanfret of Chaka Exploration Systems,

We, your most compendious customer, respectfully remind you that the Kerbal People's Grand Exploration of Space is serious business. Laughing is frowned upon in all matters, including humour. As to any communication between Voidryder's Aerospace and MeCripp, LTD per our Attorney's advice, we respectfully decline to comment.

Sincerely,

The Grand Designer

Voidryder's Aerospace

Post Script: All past communiques with MeCripp Ltd are to be immediately shredded. Present and future communications are to be destroyed during composition.

Dear Chief Program Director Yanfret of Chaka Exploration Systems,

We, your most comprehensible and curative customers, at Voidryder's Aerospace seem to fathom from your latest message that you seem to be in some sort of perplexing distress. No doubt due to the constant rumble and whirring of perpetual Roomba AI. We honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over. We still have the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the Chaka Exploration Systems' mission. And we want to help you.

In Quiet Meditation,

The Grand Designer

Voidryder's Aerospace

Post Script: Session hours available after 8 PM and on weekends. Call now for free evaluation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.