[1.6.1] Chaka Monkey 161

YANFRET

Do all engines not have gimbal capabilities? I decided to use the RS-68c I believe there called for a large shuttle design. But despite saying there are gimbals on the engines they don't swivel what so ever.

I feel like a fool because I made this shuttle even after you told me that gimballs don't work. I'm kicking myself right now. The only reason I made this comment was because Yanfret you said the SLS and MLS core stages lack the gimballs. I didn't know if maybe that was the case for all engines ( or at least the 68c )

So before I rip the shuttle apart for a redesign is there anything I can do to get these engines some thrust vectoring?

Edited by Motokid600

So before I rip the shuttle apart for a redesign is there anything I can do to get these engines some thrust vectoring?

Jep. Add this:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGimbal
gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
gimbalRange = 4
}

to the part.cfg of the engine you want to have gimbal on it. With 'gimbalRange' you define the range the engine can gimbal, in this case 4°.

Do all engines not have gimbal capabilities? I decided to use the RS-68c I believe there called for a large shuttle design. But despite saying there are gimbals on the engines they don't swivel what so ever.

I feel like a fool because I made this shuttle even after you told me that gimballs don't work. I'm kicking myself right now. The only reason I made this comment was because Yanfret you said the SLS and MLS core stages lack the gimballs. I didn't know if maybe that was the case for all engines ( or at least the 68c )

That engine in particular requires a plugin dependency for gimbal animation which is not supported by Chaka. If you go to the original manufacturer, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76841-(RSS-RO)-Constellation-Essentials-v1-3-1-Trusses-Engines-Adapters-(Apr21) you can find the original setup.

I would add that if you want to use an engine for a shuttle, the SSME from the Component Space Shuttle pack is absolutely amazing and better for a shuttle application.

Edited by YANFRET

Jep. Add this to the part.cfg of the engine you want to have gimbal on it. With 'gimbalRange' you define the range the engine can gimbal, in this case 4°.

Thanks a bunch ill try that.

That engine in particular requires a plugin dependency for gimbal animation which is not supported by Chaka. If you go to the original manufacturer, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76841-(RSS-RO)-Constellation-Essentials-v1-3-1-Trusses-Engines-Adapters-(Apr21) you can find the original setup.

I would add that if you want to use an engine for a shuttle, the SSME from the Component Space Shuttle pack is absolutely amazing and better for a shuttle application.

Ill download them and have a look. Ive got the SSME from the shuttle engines pack and that is way under powered for my shuttle. Im going to be sending up nuclear transfer stages with this vehicle and out of the nearly one hundred engines i have I found that the 68c suits me the best. Large power, no tank butt and relatively light compared to others of the same performance. However.. i got half a mind to rip the engines out of the CSS now and see if there more powerful then the shuttle pack's. Thanks again Yanfret.

Its interesting for me because the reason i like your parts pack the most isnt exactly for the crafts you build. There great, but I personally just love seeing what i can do with the amount of diversity you offer here. And its something i hope more modders do in the future instead of adhering to "stock alike"

Edited by Motokid600

Cool pictures, Well! Like the visor effect. How did you get that?

Was wanting to edit the config files of the HAB modules to add supplies (no point having the EMLV Snax ships, if they can't store food...) but the HAB folder doesn't seem to contain the parts. Anyone know where I should be looking? Have had a scour, but maybe missing them.

Edited by BinaryBad

Was wanting to edit the config files of the HAB modules to add supplies (no point having the EMLV Snax ships, if they can't store food...) but the HAB folder doesn't seem to contain the parts. Anyone know where I should be looking? Have had a scour, but maybe missing them.

"Visor effect". Looks like something from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-2-TextureReplacer-2-4-6-(5-6-2015). Specifically, it looks like SCART91's texture pack for Texture Replacer.

Magnificent! Nice landing site as well

What will you add to store food?

"Visor effect". Looks like something from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-2-TextureReplacer-2-4-6-(5-6-2015). Specifically, it looks like SCART91's texture pack for Texture Replacer.

Yes it's the other pack of Scart91's.

Scart91's Class Suits with Texture Replacer.

Edit: Planned you a module of greenhouse? Inflatable for example.

Edited by Well

What will you add to store food?

I'm using RoverDude's Life Support mod, so was intending to add the "Supplies" resource to the HAB module. Though not tried tweaks like this before so might have an imperfect grasp of how it would work. But not being able to locate the relevant cfg files in the CMES folder has stumped me.

my trip to minmus :):cool:

http://imgur.com/a/0NQG6

oops sorry,pic 20 is not part of the minmus trip that was part of, one my hundreds of Soyuz missions.:blush:

Fantastic! I think that's a really fun mission profile. Great screenshots as well!

I'm using RoverDude's Life Support mod, so was intending to add the "Supplies" resource to the HAB module. Though not tried tweaks like this before so might have an imperfect grasp of how it would work. But not being able to locate the relevant cfg files in the CMES folder has stumped me.

We have a series of module manager scripts that add Tac Life Support supplies to all the hab modules, I'm sure we could make RDLS scripts as well.

The parts you're looking for is in CMES/Hab/MonkeyPod_Lander and CMES/Hab/MonkeyPod_PS

Edited by YANFRET

What YANFRET said is correct, you definitely don't wanna edit the config files directly (if you do that the next update will overwrite your edits)

Instead use a module manager script to edit the files. If you need help making them give me a yell id be happy to assist.

What YANFRET said is correct, you definitely don't wanna edit the config files directly (if you do that the next update will overwrite your edits)

Instead use a module manager script to edit the files. If you need help making them give me a yell id be happy to assist.

And if you do make an MM script adding rover dude's life support and snackable items, please share it and we will include it with the next update :)

Im having some problem with the Duna transfer vehicles. More specifically, the rcs is just not powerful enough and docking becomes a pain. Apart from installing more rcs thrusters, is there any other solution?

Thanks for the info. Can see it makes sense to do it via module manager - but as you suspected, I don't know how to. Happy to give it a crack though. How do we do it?

Actually if you google MM scripts for the life mod of your choice you will get some examples, and then you can compare those to the TAC life support MM scripts included with Chaka. That should give you all the facts.

Im having some problem with the Duna transfer vehicles. More specifically, the rcs is just not powerful enough and docking becomes a pain. Apart from installing more rcs thrusters, is there any other solution?

Really!? I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that. We used special super powerful RCS ports just for MTV docking, and actually I thought it was pretty easy to dock considering the mass of the pieces. It's quite a heavy thing after all, and even a soyuz capsule takes hours to dock in real life.

I suppose if you are looking for an even faster MTV docking experience, feel free to turn up the power on CMES/Pod/Control_RCS_Blocks/Port_R1 - copy.cfg ... otherwise known as "High Power R1 Linear RCS Port (x2)". You should be able to go up to thruster power 20 before it becomes a problem for anything else. Those pieces are rather well balanced for RCS.

Might I add a recommended mod?

Hangar extender is a Gods-send for these massive rockets!

In fact the 75% scale of the pack was chosen in part to place a real world VAB limit on the size of Chaka rockets.

Edited by YANFRET

. Really!? I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that. We used special super powerful RCS ports just for MTV docking, and actually I thought it was pretty easy to dock considering the mass of the pieces. It's quite a heavy thing after all, and even a soyuz capsule takes hours to dock in real life.

I suppose if you are looking for an even faster MTV docking experience, feel free to turn up the power on CMES/Pod/Control_RCS_Blocks/Port_R1 - copy.cfg ... otherwise known as "High Power R1 Linear RCS Port (x2)". You should be able to go up to thruster power 20 before it becomes a problem for anything else. Those pieces are rather well balanced for RCS.

Yep. Well actually today was my first try on 1.0.2 and im not a really experienced player, but anyways ill do some tests and check back here.

It seems to me that the current mod is not really compatible with the basic Tech Tree. In the sense that you're getting rockets that are way, way overpowered too early in the tech tree. Most of them seem to show up in Basic Rocketry with is not consistent with stock. Are there any plans to configure the parts to fit the stock tech tree better? And after that perhaps the Community Tech Tree?

It seems to me that the current mod is not really compatible with the basic Tech Tree. In the sense that you're getting rockets that are way, way overpowered too early in the tech tree. Most of them seem to show up in Basic Rocketry with is not consistent with stock. Are there any plans to configure the parts to fit the stock tech tree better? And after that perhaps the Community Tech Tree?

Yes there are. We actually have an Action Ticket open on improving tech tree quality. If you have any suggestions about tech levels and what should be where, please share them here or in a PM.

News!

Technical Support Lander completes final Duna separation test with superior safety and dynamic excellence.

EQM4pm.jpg

tcp0Ip.jpg

WOJdfZ.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

For the career mode, some modifications are necessary.

These files seem to have a incorrect node of technology:

baseRing3_75.cfg

3M Chaka Monkey Fairing Test Article 3.cfg

8M Chaka Monkey Fairing Test Article 3 - Copy.cfg

8M Chaka Monkey Fairing Test Article 3.cfg

EMLV.cfg

The technology node is : TechRequired = largeControl , but in KSP 1.0.2 This knot does not exist any more i think.

With modification: TechRequired = aviation parts appear in career mode.

My Tree technology is fully developed

I also have a problem with other parts:

Radiator System Type Z

Radiator System type X

Engine Mount for RS-68

And may be other parts, But where is the .cfg... ?

Edit: Ok... files in the folder : NP_interstage_1_25m_2_5m_tank/ and NP_interstage_1_25m_2_5m_tank2/ don't have the "TechRequired =" in the cfg

files in the folder : Kosmos_TKS_RCS_Tank2/ have also the TechRequired = largeControl

Sorry for my bad english, i love the chaka Monkey Exploration Systems, and in want this in my career ! :D

I'm still looking for the following parts to make the adjustment. Anyone know what they are?

Radiator System Type Z

Radiator System type X

Engine Mount for RS-68

the first two are in electrical ( yeah I know of all places )

and the engine mount is.... in propulsion... either advanced intertank or one of the NP ones at the bottom.... and I'd have to be in front of KSP to get you closer

I'm still looking for the following parts to make the adjustment. Anyone know what they are?

Radiator System Type Z

Radiator System type X

Engine Mount for RS-68

I've already made the changes.... See PM regarding 1.0.2D Beta Testing

Edited by YANFRET

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.