[1.12.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (August 22, 2021)

Nertea

On 2.5.2016 at 1:58 PM, gilflo said:

Can this radiators be deployed in atmospheric flight without being destroyed?

No, they have a maximum dynamic pressure tolerance just like the stock ones.

The mod does include a fair amount of fixed panels too, though. Including some really really tiny ones. Perhaps they can be of use on your planes, since they are easier to hide out of the way than larger panel radiators?

just a FYI, idk if its ckan or the mod packaging, but its throwing errors when trying to update via ckan.  uninstalling it leaves behind a [versioning] folder that needs to be removed before ckan will install it.

I could try, but I'm getting used to not waste my time with doing the same mistakes again, as the performance is bad and 1 second lasts 3 seconds to get the best possible frame rate.

I solved this issue last night by already have them deployed, with my vessel design they fit under the fairing and it was okay.

Using 1.1.2 x64, launching into Earth orbit with a relatively part-heavy lifter plus orbiter.

Spoiler

Less parts = no orbit.
It was already tight calculated, I got 900 m/s left as I reached apogee and had to burn 630 to circularize.
The rest was enough to get back to earth - barely. Decoupling the pod (with a heavy decouple charge and pointing radial in) made me go home.

Dunno if that helps, but here is the log of this last flight (with already deployed radiators at launch):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m49sw5z6snu1r7u/2016-05-17-2%20Dunno%20if%20it%20helps%2C%20radiators%20already%20deplayed%20at%20launch.7z?dl=0

Actually I'm trying to tidy up.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously you are probably the best, most dedicated modder in all of KSP. I have never had a problem with any of your mods. It is so easy to change things if their is a problem. They integrate well with all mods I have ever downloaded (except for interstellar but Near Future > Interstellar.) I seriously have never found a problem with your mods. Ever. 

Edited by BashGordon33
grammar

I agree with the sentiments of the above post (not sure what it's in relation to though).

As to why I am here, it would seem poor little (radiator) Phi has lost her mesh. As in: the config references radiator-fixed-1.mu instead of what should probably be radiator-fixed-2.mu.

Re: radiator plugin (TLDR - still considering? new functionality or just FX?)

Are you still considering doing a plugin for this mod? If so, would it just add that extra glow or would there be additional functionality (a la capacitor plugin)? If you're looking to poll the audience, or for an early data point: I have no doubt whatever you decide will be grand, but I'm a little less than 100% about turning a parts only mod into a parts+plugin mod, since come update time, I can't do much with a broken plugin (in fairness though, you and your team were great with the updates). If it added extra functionality, I'd jump on it in a second, but if it's just new FX....unless you could makes the radiators really pop and sizzle.:D

Cheers.

On 5/28/2016 at 10:33 PM, Deimos Rast said:

I agree with the sentiments of the above post (not sure what it's in relation to though).

As to why I am here, it would seem poor little (radiator) Phi has lost her mesh. As in: the config references radiator-fixed-1.mu instead of what should probably be radiator-fixed-2.mu.

Re: radiator plugin (TLDR - still considering? new functionality or just FX?)

Are you still considering doing a plugin for this mod? If so, would it just add that extra glow or would there be additional functionality (a la capacitor plugin)? If you're looking to poll the audience, or for an early data point: I have no doubt whatever you decide will be grand, but I'm a little less than 100% about turning a parts only mod into a parts+plugin mod, since come update time, I can't do much with a broken plugin (in fairness though, you and your team were great with the updates). If it added extra functionality, I'd jump on it in a second, but if it's just new FX....unless you could makes the radiators really pop and sizzle.:D

Cheers.

The goal of the plugin was just to tie animation progress to heat rejected rather than temperature to be a bit more representative of radiator activity. Dumped it though, too much work, not enough gain. 

18 hours ago, SirusKing said:

Anybody know if this works with real fuels, as in, it cools cryogenic tanks?

Probably not.

18 hours ago, SirusKing said:

Anybody know if this works with real fuels, as in, it cools cryogenic tanks?

Not out of the box, no, but it does have a patch for ModularFuelTanks (CryoTanksModularFuelTanks.cfg), which I believe is very similar to what RealFuels uses and could probably be adapted.

Am I remembering incorrectly or weren't there insulator plates, heat exchangers, and heat pipes as part of this mod in a previous incarnation? Did they get axed or made obsolete? Am I confusing it with another mod of yours?

Edited by Bomoo

57 minutes ago, Bomoo said:

Am I remembering incorrectly or weren't there insulator plates, heat exchangers, and heat pipes as part of this mod in a previous incarnation? Did they get axed or made obsolete? Am I confusing it with another mod of yours?

Used to, but the heat pipes/exchangers were pretty useless when stock made radiators global, and the insulators were quite possibly the worst models I've ever made,

Nerthea, very thanks for all your excellent mods, its updating and feedback.

And relatively Heat Control - do you have a plans to expand it with parts for reentry cooling? For example, with adding of ablator cover to some parts, or with kit of various radial attached tiles? Its may be great solution for many players.

(sorryformybadenglish)

Edited by Aerospacer
some added

12 hours ago, Nertea said:

Used to, but the heat pipes/exchangers were pretty useless when stock made radiators global, and the insulators were quite possibly the worst models I've ever made,

Ah, I see. Would you consider possibly adding at least the exchangers back as an inert structural item? I found I was using them more often as super handy places to mount radiator arrays than for their stated purpose. Seems a shame to let a decent model like that go to waste. Could name them something like "radiator mounting hub" or what have you. Though I could also see them functioning as inline radiators.

Edited by Bomoo

• 2 weeks later...

@Nertea

I just finished a spreadsheet comparing stock radiator/thermal values against some heat management mods (Heat Control, Heat Management and Atomic Age) and I came across a couple of discrepancies in the ElectricCharge consumption rate of two of your radiators. Specifically, the VS-3750 (Massive) and VS-1000 (Large) static radiators both have consumption rates of 0.0025 which is the same as the YZ-10 'Phi' (Small), whereas the medium static radiator, the YZ-50 'Tau', has a rate of 0.0125

By comparison, the XR-3750 High Temperature Heat Radiator (Massive) universal radiator, which has the same transfer rate as the VS-3750, has a consumption rate of 0.9375.

Cheers.

Edited by Deimos Rast

4 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

This thing with versions jumping up must be grinding your gears, eh, Nertea? :)

Not the best, no. But I can't complain - at least one of the fixes in 1.1.3 directly fixes a problem I had with NFE, so that is nice...

On 6/15/2016 at 5:16 PM, Deimos Rast said:

@Nertea

I just finished a spreadsheet comparing stock radiator/thermal values against some heat management mods (Heat Control, Heat Management and Atomic Age) and I came across a couple of discrepancies in the ElectricCharge consumption rate of two of your radiators. Specifically, the VS-3750 (Massive) and VS-1000 (Large) static radiators both have consumption rates of 0.0025 which is the same as the YZ-10 'Phi' (Small), whereas the medium static radiator, the YZ-50 'Tau', has a rate of 0.0125

By comparison, the XR-3750 High Temperature Heat Radiator (Massive) universal radiator, which has the same transfer rate as the VS-3750, has a consumption rate of 0.9375.

Cheers.

They should all be standardized at 0.0025 Ec/kW/s according to my balancing. I'm not sure offhand what the form is in the radiator module (is it in Ec/kW/s or just plain Ec/s), but I'll look into it for the next version. 

I will mark this as compatible with 1.1.3 when there is an 'official' note on MM's 1.1.3 compatibility. I haven't seen one yet. 

There is however an issue with 100% vanilla 1.1.3 it seems. Trackable radiators will not turn unless when at next highest time warp. Thought at first it was this mod, but after having downloaded a fresh install not even stock radiators would budge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.