[1.12.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (August 22, 2021)

Nertea

Question: how do you guys prepare those huge static radiators for launch? I love the way they look, but they seem extremely unwieldy when it comes to actually getting them deployed into orbit. In reality they would probably be assembled from parts once in space, but unfortunately KSP's options for that are very limited.

3 hours ago, Bomoo said:

Question: how do you guys prepare those huge static radiators for launch? I love the way they look, but they seem extremely unwieldy when it comes to actually getting them deployed into orbit. In reality they would probably be assembled from parts once in space, but unfortunately KSP's options for that are very limited.

Do it the Kerbal way! Moar struts and moar boosters... and last but not loast: moar lights! :sticktongue:

5 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Do it the Kerbal way! Moar struts and moar boosters... and last but not loast: moar lights! :sticktongue:

Sorry, I meant how do you arrange them inside your fairings. I'm fine on lifting power and structural stability. And lights.:wink:

11 hours ago, Bomoo said:

I tend to use those on ships produced via EL - which is the 'assembled in space' option.

On 8/12/2016 at 10:29 PM, DStaal said:

Close: Extraplanetary Launchpads

I've heard of that but hadn't tried it.

Well, trying to launch them normally, it might not make for the most elegant or realistic fairing, but it certainly could be worse.

6AC6E4044780F5C5CDE82B84F229782CAFDE32E3

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=743642221

Edited by Bomoo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm making an MM patch for another mod and for some reason the heatcontrol parts will not take when I use :NEEDS[HeatControl]:AFTER[HeatControl] and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. There are no issues with NF Electrical/Solar parts when making the patch, does this mod need another name for MM, i.e. not "HeatControl" but something else?

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

I'm making an MM patch for another mod and for some reason the heatcontrol parts will not take when I use :NEEDS[HeatControl]:AFTER[HeatControl] and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. There are no issues with NF Electrical/Solar parts when making the patch, does this mod need another name for MM, i.e. not "HeatControl" but something else?

Logically if you have HeatControl present I don't think NEEDSHeatControl] is needed (:P), but I'm not an MM expert, might not make any difference.

I'm definitely not doing anything weird though. You might want to post your patch, to have a look, or possibly post in the MM thread, you would be more likely to find such a wizard there. 

Yep, I am using NEEDS as the patch is part of a bunch of MM files to adapt part catagories for them (add some extra ones instead of dumping everything Utilities), but I might not have all those mods running all the time.

And ow maw gawd....  apparently MM is case sensitive, as I noticed I had "@Part" instead of "@PART".  It works now, sorry :mad:

@Part[radiator*]:NEEDS[HeatControl]
{
  @category = none
  @tags ^= :$: _thermal:
}

@PART[solarpanel*]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]
{
  @category = none
  @tags ^= :$: _solar:
}

Edited by Jimbodiah

8 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Thanks for the simple naming scheme of the parts by the way :wink:

I'll remember to quote that next time someone complains about me changing a part name and breaking stuff :P. It's always about simplifying naming schemes.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Torih said:

@Nertea Thanks for all the updates. One minor thing the Dropbox and Curse links in the op are pointing to 0.3.2

I've fixed the Dropbox one, but Curse will take a while to approve (and may randomly deny some :wink: )

Edited by Nertea

15 hours ago, Rodger said:

Am I doing something wrong here? The GR-EXP 50W core radiator on the MX-EXP generator doesn't seem to be doing much of anything (17% cooling?), so the core temp just keeps climbing.

That's not nearly enough cooling. The MX-EXP needs 200 kW of heat rejection (check the VAB module info), you're providing a total of 50 kW per reactor, plus whatever other cooling you're getting from the big radiators. With 3 reactors you will need 600 kW of cooling power 

Ah I had forgotten that we tuned it way down. Waaaay down. 

I had a quick test with just the reactor and the radiator and it worked fine (that cooling % number is useless, you can ignore it). I can't tell offhand what's wrong, but you might want to check your total radiator capacity vs your total core heat needs. I see at least 4 drills on your craft which create some amount of heat, and i guess you might have some ISRUs running. It's possible that they are being cooled by the reactor radiators.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.