[1.12.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (August 22, 2021)

Nertea

You're the man (or woman, I'm not sure), Nertea!

Judging by the contents of the readme identifying him by the name of Chris, I'm guessing he's a guy. ;) Though being fair the name "Nertea" has zero gender connotation so the confusion is not unjustified. :)

Interstellar uses a custom part module for its radiators which these do not share. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a config patch to add that in via modulemanager. I'm sure if one was created, Nertea would add it to the download. Getting other things like the heat pipe to work, however, is an entirely different animal due to plugin stuff.

I assume you want these to have KSPI compatibility because you prefer their aesthetic over KSPI's correct?

Basically yes. The radiators in KSPI work ok for waste heat but lack a way to move heat around. It doesn't work to just throw radiators on the vista engine for example. Heat pipes would be great to move that heat to some thing else.

Interstellar uses a custom part module for its radiators which these do not share. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a config patch to add that in via modulemanager. I'm sure if one was created, Nertea would add it to the download. Getting other things like the heat pipe to work, however, is an entirely different animal due to plugin stuff.

I assume you want these to have KSPI compatibility because you prefer their aesthetic over KSPI's correct?

I prefer the aesthetics in this mod greatly over the radiators in KSPI, but I also like diversity in my vessels. Having variations would make it better for sure.

Nertea,

Have you had any issues with the radiator panels not opening? I've placed them on both stock pieces and various reactors from NFE, but I'm not seeing anything. Does the thermal limit need to be hit for them to unfold or am I missing something?

Glad that people are pleased with the mod :). I have much planned for it.

Next update will have at least four more radiators - three surface mounted (a la Apollo HRS) and the classic triple ISS radiator.

screenshot38.jpg

I have been withholding comment until I had the opportunity to test it myself. The models are absolutely first rate and the system is quite clever.

Using a 3.75m multinode heat sink and four XR-4500 Radiators, I successfully completed a 30 minute burn at full throttle (4 LV-N's) with no overheats. The cooldown time after the burn was ~40 minutes, but I actually missed the exact time. I was shooting for an hour to see what the temps were and noticed the entire ship was completely cool at the 40 minute mark. The radiators themselves were still quite hot.

A 3.75m multinode heat sink and four large radiators from HM also successfully completed a 30 minute burn at full throttle. After 1 hour, temperatures had dropped to ~800. Overall temps were higher throughout.

There is a trade off in mass, but certainly worth it if you need to dissipate heat rapidly.

I didn't bother to test them in conjuction with an AHMS unit because I'm relatively sure that you could fly into the sun with some clever placement with this particular combo.

Two thumbs up!

Edit: Just for giggles I tried the XR-4500's with a 3.75 AHMS unit. Heat equilibrium was achieved in the LV-N's at 2107.5 at around 13 minutes. You could literally burn forever.

Excellent, glad I'm not stepping on your toes at all :).

A little idea: can you make this able to radiate RealFuels' LH2 tanks so that they can become extremely cold and prevent them from fuel boil-off? EC consuming is welcomed.

OK I just want my Liquid Oxygen and Liquid Hydrogen not boiling off during my inter-planetary tour, but RF has just removed their radiators...

I have tested the radiators in a ship with one orange tank and one nuclear engine, but the engine exploded before the radiators were beginning to get hot. I attached the radiators the nearest possible to the engine on the orange tank.

I think you should add a heatsink part, similar to what heat management has. This way the heat will be drained from the engines quickly and the radiators could be attached there.

I have tested the radiators in a ship with one orange tank and one nuclear engine, but the engine exploded before the radiators were beginning to get hot. I attached the radiators the nearest possible to the engine on the orange tank.

I think you should add a heatsink part, similar to what heat management has. This way the heat will be drained from the engines quickly and the radiators could be attached there.

Try adding a heat-pipe from the engine to the radiator....

This mod just needs heat generation of LV-N's increased. Perhaps include a ModuleManager patch?

Awesome models and perfectly looking emissives btw. :D

Only... Why are the small 1.25m furface radiators have hotter edges than center? It should be vice versa, from heat transfer point of view. Yes, I had lectures on that topic. :P

this is my new favorite mod (together with all the NFP stuff)

i need new words for describing the awesomeness of this mod ! sadly i can't give rep .. need to spread some more love :D

here my current "test" ship. reactor running on full power, heatpipes transffering the heat to the main radiatorsystem for the propulsion system. And after trying out some things, it works very good right now. The reactor is so cold like the surrounding space while my crew can vaporzie eggs on the radiators :cool:

4O3zhEf.png

Try adding a heat-pipe from the engine to the radiator....

This requires engines to be surface attachable, which is currently not the case. I've modified my LV-N to be surface attachable and can confirm that this, or mounting a Tau radiator direct to it (which also looks cool as hell) works great.

This requires engines to be surface attachable, which is currently not the case. I've modified my LV-N to be surface attachable and can confirm that this, or mounting a Tau radiator direct to it (which also looks cool as hell) works great.

I have had good luck attaching the radiators to the parts that the engines are attached to.

I have had good luck attaching the radiators to the parts that the engines are attached to.

Ya that works in most cases . . . unless your me. I have a mild obsession with clustering my LV-Ns. Unfortunately, the radial attachment point has TERRIBLE thermal conductivity, so I have to heat pipe off the LV-Ns to the tank above unless I want explosions. Alternatively I do the tau (or a small universal depending on my dimensional constraints) straight on the LV-N. I also reduced the Nerv's heat output. I like the heat having to be a design consideration, but the current overheating is just fked up.

- - - Updated - - -

this is my new favorite mod (together with all the NFP stuff)

i need new words for describing the awesomeness of this mod ! sadly i can't give rep .. need to spread some more love :D

here my current "test" ship. reactor running on full power, heatpipes transffering the heat to the main radiatorsystem for the propulsion system. And after trying out some things, it works very good right now. The reactor is so cold like the surrounding space while my crew can vaporzie eggs on the radiators :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/4O3zhEf.png

whats the dV range on this thing?

~snip~

whats the dV range on this thing?

depening on the VASMIR setting the dV range is from ~31.000 m/s with 37 kN thrust to ~9500 m/s with 120 kN thrust. overall weight of this ship is lower then 40 tons.

but it was only a test ship for the radiator and heatpipes with no payload. my goal was a ship that could travel to moho and back with a small payload (up to 10 tons). and i noticed a main problem with the cooling. while the reactor was stable, the engine overheated...

all the problems are sloved with the new version, which got a lander too.

this one: http://i.imgur.com/izRCLux.jpg

i had to use the "attach engine to a tank" trick and then moving the heat with heatpipes. and yes, the rest of the ship is connected with heatpiepes to the secondary radiatorarray. i still need to confirm how close it can go to the sun, but moho orbit is a piece of cake with full running reactor.

edit:

mass of the second ship:

58,5 tons

dV range:

~31.000m/s with 37 kN thrust to ~9500 m/s with 120 kN thrust.

Edited by Darth Lazarus

Call me stupid, but I've had your mod installed since it came out and I just finally got around to using it tonight. Except I can't find it, in the parts "list"? I have Heat Management installed and it works fine. Is your mod in a different place? Not "Command and Control"? I checked through the various sorters, but still can't find any of your parts. ~100 or so Mods here in 1.02, am I just looking in the wrong places?

HeatControl adds no command and control parts, therefore they are not under command and control :P

You will find them under Utility. In my instance, the insulators sit at the very top, while the radiators and the heatpipe are almost all the way to the end.

I'm about to do a small update to this pack, are there any bugs that need to be worked out?

the only thing i noticed is, that when the radiators (or an other single part of the ship) is very hot and you timewarp really fast, the heat is distributed evenly to the whole ship ... which can be very destructive, when you have 4 or more nearly melting radiators ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.