[1.12.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (August 22, 2021)

Nertea

This mod is great! :D However, I was wondering if you could add radial heat shields. It would be like the solar panels from NF solar but as heat shields in 2.5 and 3.75. It would be great for the tall command pod with a built in heat shield(I forgot the name but it’s the 11th image in the NF solar photo album). If you see this, thank you Neartea!

12 hours ago, PowSeaPea said:

This mod is great! :D However, I was wondering if you could add radial heat shields. It would be like the solar panels from NF solar but as heat shields in 2.5 and 3.75. It would be great for the tall command pod with a built in heat shield(I forgot the name but it’s the 11th image in the NF solar photo album). If you see this, thank you Neartea!

If you mean wraparound radiators those are already in the mod.

If you mean actual heat shields, this mod doesn't seek to do anything with heat shields at this time.

Heat Control 0.6.0

• B9PartSwitch is added as a dependency
  • Square fixed microchannel radiators are now switchable between multiple lengths (2x, 1x, 2/3, half, 1/3). 
  • Triangular fixed microchannel radiators are now switchable between multiple angles (45, 30, 22.5, 15)
  • Reworked max temps for most radiators

screenshot88.png

Make sure to install the latest SystemHeat update to use the new radiators in SH.

I just installed the latest version of this mod (0.6.0) and B9PartSwitch is showing an error with  the  microchannel radiators. Did I forget to install a mod ? Or are your mods having issues with each other ? (I have all of the Near Future Mods and the Far Future Mod installed)

Screenshot2021012023.png

1 hour ago, sharkinspace said:

I just installed the latest version of this mod (0.6.0) and B9PartSwitch is showing an error with  the  microchannel radiators. Did I forget to install a mod ? Or are your mods having issues with each other ? (I have all of the Near Future Mods and the Far Future Mod installed)

Did you do this?

18 hours ago, Nertea said:

Make sure to install the latest SystemHeat update to use the new radiators in SH.

• 3 weeks later...

The heat exchangers really good at drawing heat away from a part - 600x more efficient; and they can hold on to a ton of heat. This makes the attached part(s) (it only affects parts in its immediate vicinity) survive longer as long as the heat exchanger itself doesn't fail.

But they're not as good at getting rid of that absorbed heat - 25% less efficient.  That is why you need radiators - preferably Thermal Control Systems- to get rid of all that absorbed heat.

Edited by bcqJC
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So first of all, thanks for all your content! Been playing with the Near Future suit for a while now!
I'm having problems with a plane on Laythe, one radiator must've shifted some during touchdown and it made the drag on my craft asymetric, making it impossible to get back up to orbit. 
Basically what I wanted to ask if it's possible or planned to use these parts together with the new functions from "Some assembly required", like pack them into containers or manipulate them on EVA? I don't have KAS on my current install, would that help here? Would love to be able to do repairs on my craft..

All the best!

On 3/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, JanHHH said:

So first of all, thanks for all your content! Been playing with the Near Future suit for a while now!
I'm having problems with a plane on Laythe, one radiator must've shifted some during touchdown and it made the drag on my craft asymetric, making it impossible to get back up to orbit. 
Basically what I wanted to ask if it's possible or planned to use these parts together with the new functions from "Some assembly required", like pack them into containers or manipulate them on EVA? I don't have KAS on my current install, would that help here? Would love to be able to do repairs on my craft..

All the best!

Ah guess I forgot to do that for this mod. I'll do it in the next version. 

On 2/26/2021 at 12:01 AM, Neebel said:

Sorry if this was asked before, couldn't bother to read 30 pages. Is Heat Control compatible with Real Heat?

Probably a question for the RealHeat developers. 

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

Ah guess I forgot to do that for this mod. I'll do it in the next version. 

Thanks a million! For now I used HyperEdit to exchange the broken vessels with new ones but I'm looking forward to fiddle with radiators on EVA!
Keep up the great work and thanks again!

• 2 months later...

While the radiator parts included here are definitely welcome, the selection seems to be restricted to various types of panels.

Are there plans for other, potentially higher-capacity (or smaller-footprint) designs such as belt, bubble, droplet, or Curie point radiators? I know NASA has been examining them, there's a memorandum up on their Technical Reports Server.

Additionally, is open-cycle cooling (i.e. just dumping coolant overboard) within the scope of this mod? It would be a cost- and mass-effective way of handling peak heat load on spacecraft that mostly operate at lower temperatures.

7 hours ago, Angstinator said:

While the radiator parts included here are definitely welcome, the selection seems to be restricted to various types of panels.

Are there plans for other, potentially higher-capacity (or smaller-footprint) designs such as belt, bubble, droplet, or Curie point radiators? I know NASA has been examining them, there's a memorandum up on their Technical Reports Server.

Additionally, is open-cycle cooling (i.e. just dumping coolant overboard) within the scope of this mod? It would be a cost- and mass-effective way of handling peak heat load on spacecraft that mostly operate at lower temperatures.

It'd be nice but I have limited time.

Also you have to recall always that the second I add a special radiator type people will demand a hundred different form factors and variants. Scope has be be controlled very carefully. 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

It'd be nice but I have limited time.

Also you have to recall always that the second I add a special radiator type people will demand a hundred different form factors and variants. Scope has be be controlled very carefully. 

Time is always a valid concern, I feel you there.

Form factor I can see with belts, but who in their right mind would want variants of a molten-metal spray nozzle (with or without magnets)? People, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

There's something a bit funky with the numbers for the square fixed graphene radiator- the half and double variants are disproportionately heavy and the one-third and two-thirds variant are disproportionately weak- in fact the two-thirds version has half the cooling of the half variant even though it's clearly larger, and the two-thirds variant is also the cheapest of the lot. The triangular graphene radiator is fine and all the numbers for that one make sense, but the square variants just don't add up for me.

I'm using Heat Control 0.6.0 in KSP 1.11.2 with System Heat 0.4.1.

On a related note, the stack-mounted heat sinks don't have SystemHeat configs.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:26 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

There's something a bit funky with the numbers for the square fixed graphene radiator- the half and double variants are disproportionately heavy and the one-third and two-thirds variant are disproportionately weak- in fact the two-thirds version has half the cooling of the half variant even though it's clearly larger, and the two-thirds variant is also the cheapest of the lot. The triangular graphene radiator is fine and all the numbers for that one make sense, but the square variants just don't add up for me.

I'm using Heat Control 0.6.0 in KSP 1.11.2 with System Heat 0.4.1.

On a related note, the stack-mounted heat sinks don't have SystemHeat configs.

I think I flipped some of the numbers for the 2/3 and 1/3 ones. I'll have a look. 

• 4 weeks later...

Question: What do the heat exchangers do? What's the difference to coolingpanels? The german ingame description is okay, but does not tell about the game mechanics tied to these modules. They also seem to pull core heat out of other parts.  So what's the trick, with these beautiful thingys?

(Currently I play without system heat and am only used to the stock core heat thing. System heat is just to much brain buffer overload at the moment, as I slowly dive into Nertea's Mod Cosmos)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rakete

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

It's a pointless useless part, I'd ignore them.

So they have the same mechanics like a cooling panel? The point is, I like their compact look, but want to understand them. One of them managed to cool a small NF Electrical Reactor Core. That impressed me as this compact part supports my style of aestetics. Whats the idea behind the part?

Second question: do all of the heat control panels pull core heat from distant parts from the same vehicle or are there parts, that only pull from neighboring parts (like some of the stock panels do?)

Edited by Rakete

On 6/29/2021 at 1:20 PM, Rakete said:

Second question: do all of the heat control panels pull core heat from distant parts from the same vehicle or are there parts, that only pull from neighboring parts (like some of the stock panels do?)

All.

Also, please contribute to my market research!

(Please also feel free to leave your thoughts on the future of Heat Control, I'm working on roadmapping this to feature complete right now)

Edited by Nertea

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Done.

I really like Heat control in combination with SH.

But I have to admit, that I like the grey high temperature retractable cooling panels for reactor cooling the most. The black ones are better statisticswise, yes - but they are not so much my style at the moment. The point is, they are really really thin. Somehow I can't imagine them processing high amounts of cooling fluid from a big reactor through them. But this is just my inner Mister Monk in me, nothing you should care about. Somehow I feel, they could get some love graphical modellingwise, but this really really really low priority and not worth complaining. Right now they are a bit like black two-dimensional rectangular surfaces. I struggle a little bit in using them in a astetical pleasing way. But you asked for thoughts on HC. Maybe some more great shapes for the black ones (graphene) would do the trick. Maybe something curved?! In terms of great shapes I think of the great job, you did on NF solar (e.g. the sirius panel or the curved NIV-75-R (I love this shape!). This thin material of the black graphene ones whispers "Do some nice shapes with us". :-) But with all that said, it's just very very low priority....

Just my two cents... Feel free to use these ideas or not. :-)

Edited by Rakete

@Nertea

Some things I'd like to see in heat control:

1.875m and 5m curved radiators

Cooling devices designed for atmospheric use, incorporating fans into the design. (Possibly also cooling towers using water, but that would also require the creation of a pump part for water extraction)

More "Streamlined" radiators for ships that fly in atmospheres. The current radiators are very unaerodynamic-looking.

Edited by coyotesfrontier

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.