[1.12.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (August 22, 2021)

Nertea

1 hour ago, Keldion said:

It seems I got a new bug from recent updates or mods. The convert-o-tron 250 can't be cooled down when running more than 2 formulas... It doesn't matter how many radiators I install.

With the debug you can see the Radusage is capped at 200 while I have old screenhots of them using 600-700. What's going on ? :(

https://imgur.com/a/KsSx8

It may be that from 1.4.x onward, core heat cannot access more heat transfer capability than it would need. Running more than one converter may put it over that limit. If I'm correct, you would see the same behaviour with a fully stock craft. There is little this mod can do if that's the case. You could increase the max cooling numbers of the ISRU with ModuleManager.

Note that Squad reasons this (the setting of max requestable cooling capacity > max effective core heat transfer possible) opens up a bug where parts want to consume more radiator capacity than they need so that a sufficient amount of radiators is not enough (despite the numbers suggesting otherwise). I think Squad decided that rather than solving this bug (in a more complicated way?), setting those fields to equal values accomplishes the same. However, that does mean the limits in any part are now enforced in a stricter way.

Yeah it does make sense, I get the same problem when using the Whirlijig Nuclear Reprocessor with 3 formulas...

The max cooling of the convert-o-tron 250 is set to 200kW is the description as well, I have a feeling it was highter than that before.

Using ModuleManager do seems to be a good idea, I know I need to create a .cfg file but can anyone can easily tell me what I should write to raise the max cooling of the convert-o-tron 250 to 800 or 1000 ?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LopoMetello said:

Any chance to see this mod update to 1.4.3?  Thank you for all!

Does it need an update?  I wasn't aware anything changed between 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 that would affect this mod.  (Typically nothing does between point releases.)

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2018 at 10:25 AM, LopoMetello said:

Ok, thank you for quick answer... still same message at start about the incompatibility with 1.4.3 but I don't know if the mod needs an update.

Pretty late reply, so you may already know they answer now; but I tried it out, and they seem to work perfectly fine for me.

Edited by Spaceception

• 2 weeks later...

@Nertea FYI, skinHeatConductivity and  skinThicknessFactor don't do anything for DRE anymore; those date back to when DRE had implemented a skin/internal system back in KSP 1.0. They won't harm anything but they are no longer used for anything since KSP implemented their own skin system. (skinThicknessFactor is sort of duplicated by skinMassPerArea IIRC or manually adjusting part and skin thermal mass...)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, here is a log:

Yes it is an odd name but the below is in it.

I see this:

Spoiler

Load(Model): HeatControl/Parts/Radiators/radiator-surface/radiator-surface-25-1

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

BoxColliders does not support negative scale or size.
The effective box size has been forced positive and is likely to give unexpected collision geometry.
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "Radiator/CurvedStaticRadiator25/ColliderD"

(Filename:  Line: 0)

The effective box size has been forced positive and is likely to give unexpected collision geometry.
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "Radiator/CurvedStaticRadiator25/ColliderE"

Load(Model): HeatControl/Parts/Radiators/radiator-surface/radiator-surface-375-1

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "Radiator/CurvedStaticRadiator375/ColliderB"

If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "Radiator/CurvedStaticRadiator375/ColliderC"

I wonder if you could help me with my mission to try and clean up the log file, I have been asking a few people today, could you help out too?

Well damn did I forget this one.

•  KSP 1.4.5
  •  Switched versioning to min/max implementation
On 9/19/2018 at 11:34 AM, Apaseall said:

I wonder if you could help me with my mission to try and clean up the log file, I have been asking a few people today, could you help out too?

These are hamless but rather difficult to deal with. 

Edited by Nertea

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Heat Control 0.4.9

•  KSP 1.6.x
  •  Updated ModuleManager to 3.1.3
  •  Minor change to licensing of code/configs (MIT now)

With this update, CKAN will be supported officially.

Also please note the removal of the Dropbox D/L. It was annoying to update, if you want you can now get it from the Github releases page.

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2019 at 9:24 PM, Eranziel said:

Just a heads up, your FAQ in the OP doesn't really make sense... I think it's the FAQ for your cryo engines. ;)

The perils of copy and paste, fixed. 

2 hours ago, Kastruss said:

@Nertea

Hi! I'm from Brazil, and translated your mod to pt-br, how can I send you the file, to make official?

Thanks in advance.

You can upload it to a service like Pastebin and I can integrate it, or (best for me), you can make a pull request on GitHub, though that is more involved for you. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I assume adding heat buildup for crewed parts exposed to the sun would require major (or even unfeasable) changes? What about adding heat buildup to solar panels? I'm just looking for a functional excuse to use more radiators on vessels beyond just for nuclear parts :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 7:44 PM, OldMold said:

I assume adding heat buildup for crewed parts exposed to the sun would require major (or even unfeasable) changes? What about adding heat buildup to solar panels? I'm just looking for a functional excuse to use more radiators on vessels beyond just for nuclear parts :)

KSP's heat integration model is fundamentally broken over 1000x timewarp. Core heat can be stable if you're careful and/or supply appropriate hacks (like I do in NFE) but passive part heat generation causes unpredictable behaviour and wild temperature swings. You probably don't want that. 

I think that two fundamentally different heat systems would be needed. KSP's heat system is mostly workable for environmental heat, maybe nuclear reactors if you use NFE's hack. These things don't require keeping the temperature at an exact value, but they work with relatively large heat loads. The low temperature loop, on the other hand (crew, electronics, batteries and solar panels), needs strict temperature controls, but it doesn't move a lot of heat around. Even the technology involved is completely different for high and low temperature systems. Implementing the latter would likely have to be a separate mod, as this system would be more related to life support mechanics than nuclear reactor heat. Crew cooling for Apollo was about 10W per person, which was a footnote even in that case (most heat came from mechanical gyroscopes).

For the record, Apollo cooling system topped out at about 3kW, of which 2.4kW was for cooling the attitude gyros. ISS solar panel cooling system can dissipate 56kW. The ISS medium temperature loop runs at 17 degree Celsius, with a low temperature loop at just 4 degrees, while Apollo radiators nominally ran at 26. For comparison, SNAP-10A cooling ran at over 530 degrees. I can imagine heavy-duty chemical reactors having a shared loop, or at least radiator tech with the nuclear power system, seeing as hot-running radiators can be much smaller, but there's no way you're going to use the same radiators to cool a crew compartment.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.