Nertea

[1.7.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (May 29)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Any tips on preventing heat buildup during timewarp? I can run a 800kW heat output reactor and a Charon thruster at full pelt until I run out of lithium without issues but time-warp causes the rads (VF-150, 900kW cap total) to heat up to 100% spontaneously, even with the reactor at 8% and engine off.

 

E: After further travel, it seems like the rad heat is just plain unpredictable at warp.

Edited by Hoddd9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I just installed Heat Control in a 1.7 version and noticed the three surface radiators (YF-25, YF-75, YF-150) are installed into the Specialized Electrics CTT node. Can I assume they belong in the Advanced Heat Management node?

 

Edit1: Found the issue. The HeatControlCommunityTechTree.cfg overrides the stock values in the part cfg files. Under the Surface Radiator section:

@PART[radiator-surface-2]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] should be: @PART[radiator-surface-25-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]

@PART[radiator-surface-3]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] should be: @PART[radiator-surface-375-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]

@PART[radiator-surface-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] should be: @PART[radiator-surface-125-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]

and they go into the Heat Management Systems node.

Edited by Gilph
found issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hoddd9000 said:

Any tips on preventing heat buildup during timewarp? I can run a 800kW heat output reactor and a Charon thruster at full pelt until I run out of lithium without issues but time-warp causes the rads (VF-150, 900kW cap total) to heat up to 100% spontaneously, even with the reactor at 8% and engine off.

 

E: After further travel, it seems like the rad heat is just plain unpredictable at warp.

What you're seeing is the reactor heat slowly bleeding out of the core plus the residual heat from the engine burn. When you go into higher timewarps, KSP can't understand large temperature gradients very well and starts doing stupid things. Radiators will pull more heat than exists, parts will spontaneously heat up to millions of degrees, heat will conduct in unpredictable ways, etc.

As long as the core heat system is working fine (which is mostly stable at high timewarps) everything should be ok with the reactor. That's what I mainly care about.

7 hours ago, Gilph said:

I just installed Heat Control in a 1.7 version and noticed the three surface radiators (YF-25, YF-75, YF-150) are installed into the Specialized Electrics CTT node. Can I assume they belong in the Advanced Heat Management node?

Uh sure it's be really nice if you could put this issue on GH so it doesn't get lost, I'm in the middle of some restock stuff and I don't want to lose my groove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Uh sure it's be really nice if you could put this issue on GH so it doesn't get lost, I'm in the middle of some restock stuff and I don't want to lose my groove.

Done. Also included how to fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heat Control 0.4.12

  •  Fixed wraparound surface radiators being in the wrong CTT node

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.