[1.12.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (August 22, 2021)

Nertea

• 4 weeks later...
On 10.11.2016 at 10:35 PM, Nertea said:

This is a purely version-bump update. Download it to stop MiniAVC complaining, but there's nothing else to change except the newest MM.

Heat Control 0.3.4

•  Marked for KSP 1.2.1
  •  Updated bundled MM to 2.7.3

i assume the same goes for KSP 1.2.2 .. currently testing :)

seem to work properly, :) just AVC mumbles :P

EDIT: since KSP has its issues with radiators in space (they do not cool down certain parts like drills!) i keep enjoying them for cooling down my reactors hehehe

Edited by LatiMacciato

• 3 weeks later...

Finally have some time to work on things. I am looking for a way to re-incorporate the heat exchangers from the old version of HC, and I think I have a solution I like. They will act like radiators in that they will move heat with the use of EC, but not have high emissivity and will have a high thermal mass. So you can use them to pump heat (probably non-core for now) to a specific location on a vessel, either for storage or to then use local static radiators to dump the heat.

41 minutes ago, Nertea said:

... They will act like radiators in that they will move heat with the use of EC

That would be amazing, especially with the Emancipator from Kerbal Atomics. Dumping that 18,000 residual heat is really tricky without melting the part its attached to.

I've been trying to figure out how to simulate water cooled internal combustion engines using parts from Airplane Plus and cfg-bashed old stock parts. Getting the heat from the engine to the radiator without heating everything in between them was the annoying part. The heat exchangers sound like they might be the key to opening that door.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2017 at 5:44 AM, Benjamin Kerman said:

Compatible with 1.2.2?

On 12/9/2016 at 1:28 PM, LatiMacciato said:

i assume the same goes for KSP 1.2.2 .. currently testing :)

seem to work properly, :) just AVC mumbles :P

EDIT: since KSP has its issues with radiators in space (they do not cool down certain parts like drills!) i keep enjoying them for cooling down my reactors hehehe

Seems to work for me, too.

12 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Tried to make new parts, animations kept failing to load ingame, got depressed, went to work on other things. Will update sometime, maybe in a month. 

+10 for letting us know your still working on things, -1 for you get depressed on things doesn't work out as assumed .. still gives +9 :P

• 4 weeks later...

JavpZVG.png

Here's a teaser of the new parts that will feature in the next update, which will probably be post-official 1.3. There are 4 new microchannel graphene radiators in this image, static square and triangular (which can be stacked up like hull plates) and two widths of deployable ones. These ones can't retract but have great dissipation per unit mass (about 1.5x that of the standard HeatControl high temperature radiators) and per unit area (about 1.3x as good). 

• 2 weeks later...

Built this craft with help of your mod. Kinda overkill but I just wanted to see how big I could get before loosing all my comfy FPS amounts on my system (here it is stil around 30-40 FPS average even tho all the visual mods).

It can pretty much go anywhere in the system. It has extreme amounts of habitation time and supplies for the life-support as well so they are not like gonna run out of food or oxygen.

F607E49DB747C408AB725EFB9BD7E38EAE0C2002

A3D37E4B7CA44004122E75C80C14D1E7F88BE91A

42260247A76AD83488EBBD4E3B0C1D6E98649758

I even know how to easily make this in space. Well without planetary launch pads it would be hard because of the fuel tanks. I guess I could try send them empty and dock them. But even that would be hard.

Resupplying it will be a pain. Which is why I have a few smaller designs more suited for playing. It was fun to test and use this huge monster tho.

F91E2DF6FFCE00EEADF199C91C94A241E3F04534

014980F694B154FC4A8EBD53C9A93FBC9F7744DB

This is the exact amount of engines this thing needed for around 1+ m/s acceleration. Less and the amount of time Delta-V burns take kills me.

F899854B210C89616E6A6967EC061FEF17274061

9C625DA467BED1DF72F79878E68A0784B49031F9

Here is the life-support. Nicely located in the habitation section.

31DE13E3FB5BF752180F38D718A78757F962C78E

To run each engine I got a nuclear reactor for each. 12 reactors, gives quite the heating. Needed a few of the largest radiators.

And for fun I made it go all the way to Eve but I de-orbited it at some time to see the atmospheric effects tear it apart. I don't know why but I love seeing stuff burn in the reentry in this game.

702571459882A44671E7EA4F2B90C886FAEE16C7

Edited by Zefnoly

That's a *lot* of lithium tanks. If there's anything that would inspire me to make larger tanks it's those kind of things. Next update's tanks do store more though!

Although you will need more heat radiators.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2017 at 4:51 AM, Nertea said:

That's a *lot* of lithium tanks. If there's anything that would inspire me to make larger tanks it's those kind of things. Next update's tanks do store more though!

On the subject of new parts, one idea I had was adding a switchable tank to the octo-girders. It could be like a large heat sink, with elements that glow on the inside as it gets hotter. You could then attach radiators to this unit to dissipate the heat.

Although the benefit of something like this could only be realised with heat pipes, so you could pump the heat into it.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:21 PM, Gryphorim said:

Now that 1.3 is out, and a lot of people are planning on sticking to 1.2.2, will the updated heatcontrol also be available for 1.2.2?

I've never done out of date KSP version support in the past, unlikely to start now. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.