[1.12.x] Heat Control - More radiators! (August 22, 2021)

Nertea

@Nertea You have probably had this idea, but i was thinking the large radiators in this pack would look great as deployable ones, so they start an 8th of the length and just expand out.

I know its a hell of a job, but they kind of look like they already expanded :P 

much thanks for all the mods!

• 1 month later...

id like a stack part that can be used between engine and fuel tank so i can stick a radiator to it and cool down the engine.

my engine are over heating in super speed  1000m/s + lol  im sure i could reach faster speed if i could keep them cooled

Edited by buder2

On 12/14/2017 at 9:58 PM, buder2 said:

id like a stack part that can be used between engine and fuel tank so i can stick a radiator to it and cool down the engine.

my engine are over heating in super speed  1000m/s + lol  im sure i could reach faster speed if i could keep them cooled

use a gargobay and put the radiators inside it, there is also a part for redistributing heat in this pack

20 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

use a gargobay and put the radiators inside it, there is also a part for redistributing heat in this pack

gargobay ? hehe Cargobay ?

forgot to say i was talking about a  aircraft 

with cargobay/radiator engine just explode around 900/950 m/s

heat exchanger kinda pointless in super speed 950m/s + lol , but allow mechjeb to succesfully preven overheat xD

i will use this mod in the future xD

Edited by buder2

17 hours ago, buder2 said:

gargobay ? hehe Cargobay ?

forgot to say i was talking about a  aircraft 

with cargobay/radiator engine just explode around 900/950 m/s

heat exchanger kinda pointless in super speed 950m/s + lol , but allow mechjeb to succesfully preven overheat xD

i will use this mod in the future xD

how dare you! just because i had a full mouth when i was typing cargobay :P

my other suggestion is go higher, or add the smaller fixed radiators from this pack externally behind your wings :D 

6 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

how dare you! just because i had a full mouth when i was typing cargobay :P

my other suggestion is go higher, or add the smaller fixed radiators from this pack externally behind your wings :D 

it seem mostly 950 the near hard limit for my tech i don'T have an engine pre cooler and the plane  i am using can fly in the 20km  but without a proper autopilot can't sustain that or i will have to use a joystick none stop for 3- min + as i am trying togo on the both pole at once asap xD for future contract about to add picture of the test craft

that the craft in question :P can't tell if it need more radiator

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1234703886

Edited by buder2
added screenshot

1 minute ago, buder2 said:

it seem mostly 950 the near hard limit for my tech i don'T have an engine pre cooler and the plane  i am using can fly in the 20km  but without a proper autopilot can't sustain that or i will have to use a joystick none stop for 3- min + as i am trying togo on the both pole at once asap xD for future contract

ah its a tech issue, i would say moar science grinding is needed. but sounds like a good speed at a low level!

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than dl this mod and do a lot of experiments, I think I just ask:

My problem is a cockpit that overheats during ascent. Max temp Int/Skin is 1100/2000K. Once I'm out of the worst, the skin doesn't cool down fast enough, heat keeps seeping into the interior, and eventually the cockpit goes poof at a time when most other parts have long since cooled down.

Stock radiators are very nearly inactive until the vessel is entirely out of the atmosphere. Does this mod provide a solution to my problem?

1 minute ago, Laie said:

My problem is a cockpit that overheats during ascent. Max temp Int/Skin is 1100/2000K. Once I'm out of the worst, the skin doesn't cool down fast enough, heat keeps seeping into the interior, and eventually the cockpit goes poof at a time when most other parts have long since cooled down.

Stock radiators are very nearly inactive until the vessel is entirely out of the atmosphere. Does this mod provide a solution to my problem?

there is a core hear transfer part that could help but im not sure it will help without experimenting.

7 hours ago, Laie said:

Not, I'd say that vessel design is probably the culprit here, or even the part itself. Most parts shouldn't be doing that... the skin thermal mass should be configured so that doesn't happen.

• 1 month later...

There is something I don't quite understand. I installed the mod to provide better cooling for nuclear reactors. The mod description state that I will need fewer radiators, however this isn't what's happening.

I have a relatively large rocket, 125 parts and using 5m. If I use upscaled stock large Radiator Panel, the one that cools only nearby part (with TweakScake, it boost the Core Heat xFer to 800kW), I need the exact amount of Core Heat xFer compared to the Required Cooling. For example, I need a total of 7500kW to cool my entire ship and with stock Radiator Panels when I reach a total of 7500kW the ship stays cool (including the reactor).

Now when using the GR-1500 High Temperature Heat Radiator I need a total of 21 000 kW to keep my reactor from overheating... So I actually need more parts, more weight and more money to achieve the same goal, sup with that ? Does the GR-1500 waste tons of resources cooling parts of the ship that don't need cooling ? Is it because I'm testing inside Kerbin's atmosphere ?

I find it a bit silly that stock parts are more effective at cooling my ship...

On 2/3/2018 at 9:18 AM, Keldion said:

I have a relatively large rocket, 125 parts and using 5m. If I use upscaled stock large Radiator Panel, the one that cools only nearby part (with TweakScake, it boost the Core Heat xFer to 800kW), I need the exact amount of Core Heat xFer compared to the Required Cooling. For example, I need a total of 7500kW to cool my entire ship and with stock Radiator Panels when I reach a total of 7500kW the ship stays cool (including the reactor).

Sorry I missed this. You're going to have to provide a lot more information, but really I am not responsible for how TweakScale does things.

Your description of the situation sounds weird. If you need 7500 kW to keep your reactor cool, that will not change with the radiator you choose. You'll need to give me screenshots, preferable with thermal debug mode on and all the right click menus of all these parts open.

So I still can't tell what's going on, however, I have a theory. All ship-wide radiators are affected by this horrible heat bug:

You may unknowingly be working around it, because those stock radiators affect only nearby parts, right? So they will be allocating properly (because they are restricted in what they can cool) while the HC radiators (ship-wide) suffer from the heat request bug because they can cool anything. You can overcome the bug with enough extra cooling which is probably what you're seeing.

Can't do anything about it, sorry. 

Yeah I had the feeling the whole ship was requesting more cooling for some reason. The stock parts I use do only cool nearby parts. Those parts with TweakScale do the job nicely though, since I can get the exact number of Xfer I need where I need it while keeping my parts count low, so it's all good. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Keldion said:

Yeah I had the feeling the whole ship was requesting more cooling for some reason. The stock parts I use do only cool nearby parts. Those parts with TweakScale do the job nicely though, since I can get the exact number of Xfer I need where I need it while keeping my parts count low, so it's all good. Thanks.

Yeah... I have it submitted as a bug, hope they fix it for 1.4.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.