Kerbal Ponies (art)

Recon777

Having had to deal with little nieces with My Little Pony fetishes, I find them annoying at best (the toys and cartoons, not the nieces). However, despite my laugh and poking fun, I did compliment Recon777's friend's artwork. Credit where credit is due.

My first contact was the repeated exchanges about bronies and their haters ... so I googled, and after the first snickering about grown men with beards watching a pony cartoon, I wanted to know more ... so I googled, and watched the pilot two parter episode on youtube. There are worse shows I could let my hypothetical children watch, so I declared bronies a curious but harmless anomaly in marketing plans and tended to my own stuff again. :wink:

Oh, and: Nice artwork! :)

Having had to deal with little nieces with My Little Pony fetishes

That word...I do not think it means what you think it means...

As for the picture, they seems to be quite happy despite being trapped there with the craft embedded into the moon's soil. Then again, princess Luna is magic.

That word...I do not think it means what you think it means...

As for the picture, they seems to be quite happy despite being trapped there with the craft embedded into the moon's soil. Then again, princess Luna is magic.

fet·ish

ˈfediSH/

noun

noun: fetish; plural noun: fetishes

an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.

And what is it you think it means?

fet·ish

ˈfediSH/

noun

noun: fetish; plural noun: fetishes

an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.

And what is it you think it means?

I thought you were meaning to say "infatuation" or even "obsession", but to say "fetishes" in the meaning you provided suggests they are practically worshipping the objects. That seems...excessive. But I digress.

The hatred is due to MLP extremists who love to shove their love of the show into people's faces with massive pony forum signatures, pony related pictures, memes, e.t.c. This gives the whole MLP fandom a bad reputation. The poster of this thread seems far from one.

The hatred is due to MLP extremists who love to shove their love of the show into people's faces with massive pony forum signatures, pony related pictures, memes, e.t.c. This gives the whole MLP fandom a bad reputation. The poster of this thread seems far from one.

yes, but that says nothing about the person who drew the pic.

Neat. It looks like luna is liking her years on the moon. I just have a question.

How the hell do little fillies get a rocket with enough delta V to go to the moon and back:0.0:.. Well I already see some problems going back... But anyway good artwork.

Haters gonna hate because they can't understand the idea of a show originally intended for "little girls" being enjoyed by adult men.

for the record, I like MLP:FiM.

Edited by Pipcard

Let me tell y'all a story. Pull up a chair if you don't already have one.

~~~

Once upon a time, I had a really awesome friend named Logan. Logan was an incredible person and a great friend to hang around with. He was, in many ways, your stereotypical comic-book nerd: he had a pretty impressive paunch and didn't care too much about his physical appearance, he liked wearing t-shirts emblazoned with rather obscure comic books, and he hung around with fellow comic-book enthusiasts pretty regularly. And yet, he was empathetic and great at talking about almost anything. (He had even heard of Kerbal Space Program, and this was back in 0.23 days, before the game was quite as well-known.)

So we got along famously for an entire semester (we were taking a college class together). On the very last day of class, right before finals, I take a look at the four or five tiny pins on the side of his backpack. I had known they were there for the entire semester, but they didn't seem to have much on them. With a bit of a start, I realize that the pins have MLP 'cutie marks' on them (the little cutesy symbols located on the ponies' flanks).

I pointed it out, and he sheepishly declared that he was one of those guys who likes the show. He then talked briefly about how there's a quiet majority of people in most of the major fandoms, and then there is the very loud minority who ruins it all. He did not want to be part of that minority. If people recognized the symbols on the little pins, he could talk with them about My Little Pony. If not, well, they didn't do anyone any harm.

Logan was a wonderful person. Unfortunately, I've only vaguely been keeping in touch with him. Maybe I should shoot him an e-mail.

~~~

I suppose my point here is that every fandom seems to have a load of quiet supporters who are perfectly respectable members of society. They also seem to have a small but incredibly vocal faction that is dedicated to making everybody know that they are a member of this fandom and you should be too. It's not really accurate to judge the fandom based on that minority, as tempting as it may be.

For the record, while I'm really not a part of any fandom, I'm strongly sympathetic to the 'brony' community and have several friends that enjoy the show. I can see why they like it, though it's personally not my cup of tea.

~~~

Back to the drawing. It's really good. It looks suspiciously like it's based on KSP, especially with the rocket augered into the ground at an angle in the distance. I wonder why the pony on the left has Kerbal-esque head lamps while the other two don't...?

-Upsilon

Wow, that is a surprising amount of immature hate coming from this community.
most, if not all of that was simply sarcasm and humor. I certainly wouldn't call it hate. :)

Just a word of caution, there is a very fine line between "hate" and "sarcasm / humour", even if people don't understand or believe it.

Telling a black person who is complaining about work, "Well, I thought your kind would be use to slave labour" is easily sarcasm, but it also reflects upon underlying racial tensions; isolating the person for what he is rather than WHO he is. We forget that stereotyping is an expression of hate, a way we deal with things that are different from the norm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.