With the imminent release of Windows 10 does anyone know what impact or changes, if any, may be noticeable in KSP?

I don't expect any real compatibility issues as it's made to run on '7' machines anyway, and I would imagine the devs have tried it to make sure it works. Nor do I expect any noticeable performance increase (would be nice though, I can dream can't I).

Is there anyone in a position to shed any light?

As much as I'm looking forward to the Windows 10 release (because I'm a .NET dev and more/better Windows means more business means more money) the only way to play KSP at the moment (well, since a year or so actually) imho is Linux due to the unstable/unavailable x64 on other platforms.

So my response is: Windows 10 will probably work just fine (it would be a Unity issue more than a KSP issue anyway), but actually you should really be using Linux x64 and a ton of mods :wink:

(disclaimer: my KSP uses about 6GB after startup and before the memory leaks kick in so I don't have much choice)

windows ten is supposed to have worse performance than windows 8.1. I would recommend windows 8.1, it has better performance than windows 7.

Really? Win10 seems pretty slick to me, do you have any sources? I'm still on the fence - not sure if I want to overwrite my Win7 license with it.

Really? Win10 seems pretty slick to me, do you have any sources? I'm still on the fence - not sure if I want to overwrite my Win7 license with it.

The tech demo was pretty slow even on my pretty good machine. It was a tech demo though, so they'll have to optimise it. Standard desktops won't be able to run it otherwise.

windows ten is supposed to have worse performance than windows 8.1. I would recommend windows 8.1, it has better performance than windows 7.

Gonna need a source on that - everything I've seen has shown Windows 10 performing better. It's really pretty slick, and looks to be an upgrade in just about every way that's important to me.

The tech demo was pretty slow even on my pretty good machine. It was a tech demo though, so they'll have to optimise it. Standard desktops won't be able to run it otherwise.

VM, or proper install on a partition? I'm running it on VirtualBox and it's a little sluggish, but i'm putting that down to the software emulation.

VM, or proper install on a partition? I'm running it on VirtualBox and it's a little sluggish, but i'm putting that down to the software emulation.

New partition, on the same HDD as my everyday Windows 8 one.

8.1 isn't even fully functional. 7 is as good as it gets for now. I have my doubts that MS will be able to make any real comeback. You know they're desperate when their newer OSes are free, and 7 still costs money.

Edited by Camaron

8.1 is even fully functional. 7 is as good as it gets for now. I have my doubts that MS will be able to make any real comeback. You know they're desperate when their newer OSes are free, and 7 still costs money.

A bit desperate with the tablet\phone market, sure. They still own desktop computing though - I don't really see MS fading into obscurity any time soon.

Ah well, we have a year to see how Windows 10 preforms in the real world, until our free upgrade disappears. It has plenty of time to prove itself :)

8.1 is even fully functional. 7 is as good as it gets for now. I have my doubts that MS will be able to make any real comeback. You know they're desperate when their newer OSes are free, and 7 still costs money.

Microsoft are desperate? News to me. Would you say this when Apple release updates for free?

Gonna need a source on that - everything I've seen has shown Windows 10 performing better. It's really pretty slick, and looks to be an upgrade in just about every way that's important to me.

As someone who has seen every iteration of windows since NT, I can tell you with absolute certainty that Windows 10 will perform worse than Windows 7. The reasons for this are many but the biggest is that every iteration has more and more background services which take up additional CPU cycles and memory, leaving less for your games.

Even ignoring that reason though...

Windows 98 > Windows 2000 [old better than new]

Windows 98 < Windows XP [new better than old]

Windows XP > Windows Vista [old better than new]

Windows Vista < Windows 7 [new better than old]

Windows 7 _ Windows 10 [?????]

There is a pattern here, I won't spoil it for you :)

Edit: As for Microsoft being desperate... would you be considered 'desperate' if you were one of the richest corporations on earth with a near-monopoly on operating systems? I'm sure they are trembling in their Birkenstocks.

Edited by OddFunction

As someone who has seen every iteration of windows since NT, I can tell you with absolute certainty that Windows 10 will perform worse than Windows 7. The reasons for this are many but the biggest is that every iteration has more and more background services which take up additional CPU cycles and memory, leaving less for your games.

There is a pattern here, I won't spoil it for you :)

Edit: As for Microsoft being desperate... would you be considered 'desperate' if you were one of the richest corporations on earth with a near-monopoly on operating systems? I'm sure they are trembling in their Birkenstocks.

You say you used every iteration except you forgot Windows ME and Windows 8, Maybe research your lie before trying to make a false point.

You say you used every iteration except you forgot Windows ME and Windows 8, Maybe research your lie before trying to make a false point.

Oh crap you got me!

I've learned my lesson. Now I'm off to go lie in the KSP general forum! Watch out world.

I'm a developer so I have the MSDN developer preview and it's way better than 8, and about on par with 7 but has the Windows Store. Overall I would say it's worth the upgrade however I will not be upgrading my Windows 7 gaming machine right away, I'll give it 6 months.

There is a pattern here, I won't spoil it for you k_smiley.gif

Lol, Windows 98 is better than 2000? The 9x Kernal couldn't reach the NT Kernal if it had a redstone rocket. NT4 was better than 98.

Edited by Alshain

As someone who has seen every iteration of windows since NT....snip

I've been training for Mun landings ever since windows 3.1, who remembers Lunar-Lander that used to ship with Win3.1?

re win 10, it's new software so it will have issues that no one thought it would have and will need patches before it's really ready. I'll probably sacrifice my laptop to the free update experiment, but my gaming rig will remain win 7. (on the subject of the free upgrade, does anyone know if it will be available as an ISO so you can do a clean install or will you have to upgrade an existing 7/8.1 install? I've had mixed answers on that from MS support.)

From personal experience with Windows, I'm sticking with my Windows 7 until some time in the future that I'm convinced / forced at gunpoint to upgrade.

And I recommend that to anyone who asks.

Also, I hate it when someone comes to me with a new laptop, asking for help with their system, as most are forcing Windows 8/8.1 nowadays, with need to sacrifice a virgin male of 30 years of age to make W7 work on it properly.

Honestly the only thing I really found fault with windows 8 was the lack of a start menu... but now there are a ton of third-party apps which put it right back. So really win8.1 is the way to go for me at the moment. When win10 comes out, I'll probably upgrade.

With the imminent release of Windows 10 does anyone know what impact or changes, if any, may be noticeable in KSP?

I don't expect any real compatibility issues as it's made to run on '7' machines anyway, and I would imagine the devs have tried it to make sure it works. Nor do I expect any noticeable performance increase (would be nice though, I can dream can't I).

Is there anyone in a position to shed any light?

KSP runs very fine on Windows 10 (as fine as KSP can run though). No performance loss at all.

I'll upgrade right away on my laptop - it's newer but it's a "secondary" computer for me, I don't have anything critical on it, and I'm not really impressed with 8.1's interface as a whole. My win7 tower will wait for a little while, as will my wife's and son's laptops.

If win10 is good enough, I'll also upgrade the two Linux computers (other son's laptop and the TV recorder/sevrer) to it. Linux is REALLY solid, but ever since VNC stopped working on the server box, it's been a royal pain to manage. Having three different OS's to troubleshoot is getting old at my house. Plus the cable company is dropping cable without a converter box, so my cable cards won't work and I won't be needing MythTV anymore.

• 2 months later...

Well, I am on Windows 10 at the moment and have to say that KSP is behaving, my only issue is I am new to developing and I have since learned that KSPSerialIO does not work at present in Windows 10. Something about .net 2.0 being unsupported. I have yet to figure out my next step. All in all tho the OS is nice. I think my affair with Linux tho has made me much more competent tho, I find myself scratching my head now over some of the ways windows names things etc. Who'd a thought.

all of which is just lack of experience and familiarity... People with more experience developing for Windows than Linux have the opposite experience.

In my experience Win10 is faster than either Win7 or 8.x, and looks to be more stable too (your mileage may vary depending on your exact hardware/software configuration of course).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.