[1.0.2] Kerbin Astrotech - CareerLite [version 0.5 Updated 06.09.2015]

Tivec

CareerLite

TL;DR

This mod locks your funds to 99 999 999 999, allowing you to play science mode with contracts. It also unlocks your technology tree as if magic, and lets you change the upgrade state of your buildings (currently all at the same time). Future plans are to set the reputation level.

IZKBSfa.png

Foreword

I have always been a fan of career mode in Kerbal Space Program. I've played it more or less religiously. However, there comes a time when you have done a lot: built your stations, collected that tricky piece of science data from the outskirts of the Kerbol system. You feel like it would be nice to start over, but you do not want to spend all the time grinding science, but rather build nice rockets and fulfil contracts.

Enter the greatest thing with career mode: the contracts. There are contract packs giving you hundreds of new things to accomplish. You can gain reputation, science or funds for this. You can be told to go to mostly anywhere in the Kerbol system, as well as building satellite networks around your planets. There will always be something for you to do.

Here comes the dilemma that gave birth to this mod: Sandbox mode has no contracts. Science mode has no contracts. It is only in career mode that this wonderful feature is available.

CareerLite

I call this mod CareerLite - it allows you to play the game your way. As of version 0.1, the features are not many. It basically locks your funds to 99 999 999 999. And there is no way to stop it from doing so (well, if you do find a way, file an issue please!).

One can argue that the functionality is already in the game. You can go into the debug menu and add money, then go build your rockets. Yes, this is true. This is also how I did it before. However, the goal and scope of this mod will be extended.

Why would I use this?

There are many scenarios for this:

* I want to play with infinite funds, no limit on science, but my Kerbals still need to level up.

* I want to play with funds, contracts, but not worry about science.

* I want to play an open tree career mode with funds, where I have to purchase the parts but not worry about science experiments.

* I want to play a science mode career, where my Kerbals level up, but I do not want to worry about funds.

I think you might see the idea here :)

Future plans

In 0.6 and beyond, a couple of new features are planned.

A way to lock your reputation.

Releases

All releases will be made available on Github:

https://github.com/tivec/CareerLite/releases

Source is available on GitHub as well.

This plugin is released under the GPLv3 license.

As of version 0.4, this plugin depends on AstrotechUtilities, GPLv3 licensed and source available on GitHub. The .dll comes bundled with the download.

Changelog

• 0.5 - Just a very very simple update, this allows your to lock science points.
  • 0.4 - The GUI release! See changes in this post
  • 0.3 - All buildings are now upgraded automatically.
  • 0.2 - The technology tree unlock version.
  • 0.1 - Initial release, very basic functionality.

Thanks to

Many thanks to Magico13 for the mod TreeToppler that has served as inspiration for the tree unlock.

Thanks to xEvilRepperx for showing me how the Start() method can also be a coroutine!

Edited by Tivec

My TreeToppler modlet let's you unlock the tech tree three different ways (all, all that can be researched at the current R&D level, or manually but without costing science) if you're looking for any example code. It's GPL3, so feel free to borrow parts as long as you give attribution :)

My TreeToppler modlet let's you unlock the tech tree three different ways (all, all that can be researched at the current R&D level, or manually but without costing science) if you're looking for any example code. It's GPL3, so feel free to borrow parts as long as you give attribution :)

Thank you! I'll take a look!

Thank you! I'll take a look!

Well, that was easier than I though :) Attribution given where attribution is deserved, thank you so very much for the hint.

Version 0.4 is now released!

You can, of course, get it in the normal place over on github, se link in the first post.

Changes for this version:

* Optional dependency on Blizzy78's toolbar

* AppLauncher button visible if the toolbar is not present.

* Technology unlock can now only happen when in the R&D screen.

* Only funds can be locked/unlocked when not at the space center.

* Helpful screen messages shown for certain actions.

* Dependency on AstrotechUtilities added (dll included in release)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for making this mod!

I'm really enjoying this mod, as I can now do mission, but still mess around a bit like on Sandbox or Science.

As with Procyon above, I'm getting an issue of multiplying buttons on the toolbar.

Thank you for making this mod!

I'm really enjoying this mod, as I can now do mission, but still mess around a bit like on Sandbox or Science.

As with Procyon above, I'm getting an issue of multiplying buttons on the toolbar.

I will take a look at the multiplying button issue once I get back from holidays. However, that won't be until the end of august, so you'll have to hang in there. The issue is quite possibly me failing to delete the button properly, but I'll have to test.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/14/2016 at 2:23 PM, Andem said:

So I assume this works in 1.0.5?

On 1/21/2016 at 9:32 PM, JoeNapalm said:

Any update on the multiplying buttons?

EDIT: Worked around this by simply setting up the configuration I wanted, saving the game, then uninstalling the mod.

-Jn-

If either of you guys still want or need this mod, I revamped it and posted it here: 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.