[1.2.2] Soylent - Life Support through Algae. [v0.06.1 2016.12.31 - big hellfire]

DBowman

On 1/24/2016 at 6:35 AM, Cdr_Zeta said:

Borroqed the Koylent Maker idea from BIOMASS !?

BIOMASS also as an Algae Greenhouse, and in my opinion, for space survival, and reading what algae is best suited for in space, creating oxygen, not food !

• Hey no way, convergent evolution!
  • ESA is for sure investigating / planning / developing algae as both an oxygen and a food source. My (what I think are good) reasons earlier in this thread.

On 1/27/2016 at 2:42 AM, DStaal said:

USI-LS integration ... have it increase homesickness slightly faster

Nice idea, I'm not familiar with USI-LS but if it has a 'morale' mechanic then that's a great fit. I imagine Soylent v0.1 would be like the Nebuchadnezzar's (Matrix) 'bowl o snot', v0.2 like The Loafscifi.stackexchange ), eventually molecular gastronomists would make a fancy thermomix that could produce 2001 A Space Odyssey quality food (v1.0 coming 'real soon now').

10 hours ago, DBowman said:

Nice idea, I'm not familiar with USI-LS but if it has a 'morale' mechanic then that's a great fit. I imagine Soylent v0.1 would be like the Nebuchadnezzar's (Matrix) 'bowl o snot', v0.2 like The Loafscifi.stackexchange ), eventually molecular gastronomists would make a fancy thermomix that could produce 2001 A Space Odyssey quality food (v1.0 coming 'real soon now').

That was basically my thought. ;)

USI-LS's latest version just introduced a type of morale mechanic - 'homesickness'.  It's a bit complex, in that there are two forms (away-from-Kerbin and been-in-this-bucket-too-long).  The first tracks how long the Kerbal has been in space, and never resets.  The second tracks how long they've been in their current vessel/ship, and resets with each ship.  Both are affected by ship size/type of spaces/number of crew, etc.

Currently USI-LS can't be completely closed loop either - you need a resources (fertilizer) that you can only get on Kerbin.  (Though RoverDude has said that there will be a way to generate it in the future.) So my thought was that this system could be a closed loop (in that you can get anything you need to keep it running off-planet), suitable for initial exploration and colony setup before the bigger greenhouses get built/shipped in.  The downside being that morale mechanic - You can run it forever, but your Kerbals won't be happy with you.  (And what happens then is configurable.)

I'd offer to help more, but I want to actually get through the science tree once before investing in playing with a life support mod.  (Though I'm tracking the info so I can mentally compare how it would work, and tracking this mod as something I intend to use as part of that.  I actually have installed Soylent and used the parts, but just as a 'ok, this base would need some supply something' cosmetic thing so far.)

Hello,

While I havnt looked into making food out of algae (there may be a certain type that is better for food making (not blue-green?)), I found a recipe for making a compound that ends up being a material for a reverse osmosis filter used in all the purifiers/extractors to filter out the smallest particles (a required filter for drinking water (I also use carbon for that as well)), AND I am making Ethanol, which in turn makes antiseptics.

I also make cellulose from the Algae; for First Aid Kits and clothing material ! I use Green Algae for my products for now.

I have water filters, air filters, moisture evap filters, all of which now have the Carbon and RO (Reverse Osmosis) filters in them, and have to be made and changed.

Out of the Green Algae I am probly getting so much use out of it that food could be minor option if there is any resources left.

Commander Zeta

4 hours ago, Cdr_Zeta said:

Out of the Green Algae I am probly getting so much use out of it

Sounds real interesting, and ambitious. I'm sure that the fact that one can use 'plumbing' for all the materials handling will make micro-organisms a huge part of manufacture in space. I'm kind of thinking a collection of algae, bacteria, fungi (yeast is right?), microscopic animals ('sea monkeys' etc) would be the 'feedstock' for food and all the industrial stuff you are talking about. Chiton (micro shrimp shell) is a useful material also I think? 

I'd done some reading and forward osmosis sounds useful also; for example a concentrated edible (glucose) solution and a FO membrane will pull 85% of the water out of urine without energy input, you have to activated charcoal filter it first. e.g. HTIWater.com

Hello,

Heh...how do we know Kerbals spout humanoid byproducts?! One suggestion was that they were homanoid plants !

Or maybe they are nitrogen breathing intelligences ?! And here we are converting CO2 to O2 and water to air an such !

Afterall, they are green-skinned ! I hope they arent Algae-based ! It would kind of put a damper on Algae food !

I havnt gone back to the wiki's and roleplay for Kerbals. For now I am using them as humanoids; if they are green maybe they got some Vulcan blood !?

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta
addendum

Even if they are Algae-based, it'd be like us eating pigs or cows - We're both mammals, but they aren't very similar in the end.  And even if they aren't humanoid in their byproducts, you'd be able to find an algae that would be able to recycle for them, most likely.  (Depending on the LS mod, we aren't even sure this is converting to CO2 or such.)

In the end, it's all in how you take it.  ;)

Edited by DStaal

• 1 month later...

So...this is strange, but your parts aren't picked up by Filter Extensions, at least in the Manufacturer's tab (the only one I've checked, but I actually sat down and searched through every item in my game), but searching for them (via the mod QuickSearch) they show up.

I looked at the parts, and I think I know why it is: you define your parts an addendum to another part (or something, not sure what to call it) and I don't think Filter Extensions likes that. It also makes it extremely hard to modify with MM configs. Basically as it stands, I think I would need to rewrite all the configs (which may or may not take that long) to get them to show up. I'll admit I'm pretty new to reading configs myself (and MM), but this is the only explanation that jumps out at me, and the only time I've ever seen anyone do something like this...ever. I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just confused.

Still interesting though, especially the resource conversions.

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

So...this is strange, but your parts aren't picked up by Filter Extensions

um you mean just the stock filter thingies? I never really looked at what happens there, I'm not sure if it wants an actual 'manufacturer' defined somewhere or if it just 'collates' things based on the manufacturer string in the config. I'll have a bit of a poke around.

Conceptually the parts are created by MM as copy of a 'template' part and then 'tweaked' with the info that is different. It's a very common MM usage pattern - it shouldn't make it any harder to modify with MM configs. It will mean it automatically is in synch with any changes/additions made to the 'template' part - squad adding drag cubes to the solar arrays for example - so that's a good thing.

2 hours ago, DBowman said:

um you mean just the stock filter thingies? I never really looked at what happens there, I'm not sure if it wants an actual 'manufacturer' defined somewhere or if it just 'collates' things based on the manufacturer string in the config. I'll have a bit of a poke around.

Not really - he's referring to this mod.  (Which I also use, and love.  It makes it much easier to find things, usually.  Though there are a few quirks.)

Ah, I meant the Filter Extensions Mod
Yeah, I get what you're doing, and it seems pretty clever, I've just never seen it done in my brief time looking at configs.

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with your numbers for the resource conversion? I realize that's a rather broad question (answer: "maths"); your configs are rather well documented, I still need to work my way through it all. Did you just look at TACLS's numbers and work from there or...? What I mean is you have numbers like "0.07123842592593" (whereas I would just round it to the hundredths and call it a day, heh) and I guess I don't get where they're coming from.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with your numbers for the resource conversion?

It's a bit circular. I wanted to be 'realistic' so I did some research to find out what seemed a reasonable volume of algae laden water to support 1 guy. Then I plugged those masses into my arrays. To make it plug into TAC-LS I used @TaranisElsu's numbers for production and consumption of stuff - he has some spreadsheets and such which explain his reasoning. The numbers have such 'high rez' because of the short time between simulation 'hits' and because you have to make the the inputs and outputs of the conversion mass the same or else 'conservation of mass violation'.

• 2 weeks later...

version 0.3 of Soylent on SpaceDock

@NotAgain I've added the much procrastinated USI-LS compatibility - it plugs in appropriate USI converters etc - let me know if you strike any probelms

@Deimos Rast I added a UDA 'Agency', that seems to make the stock 'manufacturer' filter include UDA and filter the parts correctly. I'm not sure re FilterExtensions, I've not used it and it's thread seems to have quote a few comments re manufacturer that made it seem like it was some kind of exceptional case, with some back and forth re how it was supposed to work. I've not come to grips with it - the stock version looks helpful though.

Apart from that I added a flag and a fix to the manufacturer for the Soylent Starter tank.

Thanks.  I was working on a patch, but my lack of Module Manager knowledge was getting in the way.  ;)  I'll be putting it into my current game as soon as I have the time.  (And when I do I'll report in on Filter Extensions.)

8 minutes ago, ayyylmao said:

Would you say this is harder or easier than USI-LS?

This is just a parts pack.  It works with either TAC-LS or (now!) USI-LS.  It is not a life-support system on it's own, it only gives you another way to build a ship using the life support system you are currently running.

Just now, DStaal said:

This is just a parts pack.  It works with either TAC-LS or (now!) USI-LS.  It is not a life-support system on it's own, it only gives you another way to build a ship using the life support system you are currently running.

My bad, thanks for the answer!

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled over this mod today - I was fully expecting to see a part that you load a Kerbal into (In the dire situation of not enough food using TAC-LS) and then kicking off the algae process using a resulting organic kerbal/algae slurry. :sealed: (ie Kerbals can be used as a food resource)

Edited by wile1411

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2016 at 8:19 AM, wile1411 said:

I just stumbled over this mod today - I was fully expecting to see a part that you load a Kerbal into (In the dire situation of not enough food using TAC-LS) and then kicking off the algae process using a resulting organic kerbal/algae slurry. :sealed: (ie Kerbals can be used as a food resource)

In the good 'ol days, I remember Kethane had such a part ... :) 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Having recently taken over TAC LS as part of the RO group I am wondering if this mod is still active and works under 1.1.3 or not?

It should still work fine, I'd been reluctant to mark it compatible before I'd not re-checked TAC and Soylent. I've only just got around to playing with TAC LS under 1.1.3 and I've not yet re-tested Soylent - but it's just a simple referencing of TAC generators with some custom intermediate resources.

Are you just doing minimal care taking or thinking about extensions and new developments also? ( e.g. modelling cabin atmosphere (fire vs CO2 overload), consumable CO2 scrubbers, hatch leakage - Apollo apparently used to leak pounds per day )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.