[1.2.2] Soylent - Life Support through Algae. [v0.06.1 2016.12.31 - big hellfire]

DBowman

@Waxing_Kibbous  Based on what Soylent achieves, which is a constant supply of food, I would simply use the Kerbalism greenhouse module editing it to generate Consumables with input with the additional SoylentStarter

As I understand it Kerbalism, already works out the solar energy you get as you move away from the sun  with the green house module, so Soylent's photons isn't really required.

Something like this then: 

Spoiler

@PART[UDA_SOYLENT_GREEN_GIGANTOR]:NEEDS[ProfileSimplified]:FOR[Kerbalism]
    {    MODULE
        {    name = Greenhouse
            crop_resource = Consumables                // harvest resource
            crop_size = .5                              // crop_rate = 0.00000154321                
            ec_rate = 2.5                               // EC/s so that you produce out at Jool!

light_tolerance = 400.0                 // minimum lighting flux required for growth, in W/m^2

lamps =                                 // don't need this 
            shutters = door                         // 
            plants =                                // 

INPUT_RESOURCE
            {    name = ConsumedWaste
                rate = 0.000046296                    // .5 units required for crop / half a day's worth of food see above for crop size.
            }

INPUT_RESOURCE
            {    name = BadAir
                rate = 0.0000462963               // this is the per second output of a kerbal so multiply if you want this part to produce for more than one kerbal while generating at Kerbin.
            }

this is the per second requirement of a kerbal so multiply if you want this part to produce for more than one kerbal while generating at Kerbin.

However.  As the part configs only work if there is particular LifeSupport mods installed, then this should be fine methinks.  Hopefully it gets you started!

Peace.

@theJesuit hey thanks for the inputs. The photon computation sounds good - does it handle planetary occultation? For sure taking Kerbalism green house 'module' section then scaling it and adding to gigantor would get you a big green array that worked with Kerbalism. If you wanted to make it more Solylent-ish you could then get the helfire part consuming some of the resources that feed Kerbalism green house and modify the new Kerbalism Green Gigantor module to remove some inputs and replace with slurry.

@Waxing_Kibbous I think you probably want do MODULE:NEEDS[ProfileSimplified]:FOR[Kerbalism] rather than put it on the @PART. I guess you have Soylent installed and are not trying to 'pull out the bits you want'? The SoylentResources.cfg is needed to define the resources - bad things happen if it's not there. The SoylentConfig.cfg holds some ratios that get used by newer parts - look at DarkGreenL.cfg to see how - depending how fully you wanted to Kerbalize Soylent you might want to put Kerbalism ratios on the Config object and reference them from parts.

I guess it's possible that Kerbalisms 'Greenhouse' module has some resource hardcodings, maybe insolation just effects some 'rate' multiplier inside it. If I was doing it I'd start by just adding a straight copy of the Greenhouse module to big green and see it works. Then add a Soylent output resource (even starter) and see that the result will produce starter into a starter tank. Then make helfire box consume Kerbalism resouces and produce slurry. Then Modify big green to use slurry. Do it in little steps so you know what went wrong as soon as it goes wrong.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, DBowman said:

Oh wow I knew I'd been 'doing other things' but I've missed a few TACLS releases - if @Vaga or anyone else has / gets positive or negative testing info let me know and I'll update spacedoc and/or fix it. thanks !

Made a quick sandbox game and ran a test for about 300 days with no visible errors. (1 large green inline and one large red inline)

Food production was good and waste was used.  Ship was self sufficient with both red and green.  Turned off the red and food started to slowly drop.  Tried with 2 green large solar panel type and one large green inline and everything worked. All tests were with the default 4 kerblas.

Everything seems to be working as far as I can tell.  I would say good to go for TAC-LS V0.13.5 and KSP 1.3.0.1804

Edited by Vaga

Why do you have the small soylent arrays and small water oxidation array as such a late game part?  There is no incentive to use those parts when by that stage of the game you need the large parts for stations, bases, and ships.

I personally think they would be better under scanning tech or unmanned tech in the tech tree.  Also you get the starter container so early with no way to use it.  It should be around the same tech level.

23 hours ago, Vaga said:

I would say good to go for TAC-LS V0.13.5 and KSP 1.3.0.1804

awesome @Vaga thanks very much.

Re the tech tree - I'd seat of the pantsed the tech levels looking referring what I thought were 'comparable' parts, also I think closed life support is going to be 'hard to get right'. Given what you say and the 'game nature' of the tech tree I'll review that aspect of things when I do an update. Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, DBowman said:

awesome @Vaga thanks very much.

Re the tech tree - I'd seat of the pantsed the tech levels looking referring what I thought were 'comparable' parts, also I think closed life support is going to be 'hard to get right'. Given what you say and the 'game nature' of the tech tree I'll review that aspect of things when I do an update. Thanks again.

You have a point however at the same time many other mods like MOLE give you a greenhouse much earlier that would close the loop and don't have the restriction of having a starter resource to cap/limit its use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

sigh, such a mod and lack of activity, or it may still work in 1.4.2?

also, I am trying to get it to work with  USI  for a closed loop but can't figure how to make it so that the USI will become a closed loop life support system

• 4 weeks later...

USI-LS needs MKS to get a closed loop. You can convert Minerals or Gypsum into Fertilizer, but you need to mine to close the loop. In real life it's not possible to get a closed loop either, so trying to get one without needing to mine or send resupply ships and you may as well remove the LS completely ;)  haha

I was actually looking if there was a patch for 1.3.1 for this mod.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 5 months later...

I just did a quick test in KSP 1.4.5 and 1.5.0. All seems to work fine. Except the "dark" parts that use e not sunlight are borked from KSP model change of big monoprop tanks. I'll figure something out for those...

@theJesuit how about providing proper Kerbalism patches for it, too? If possible ofc.

@DBowman if you're interested in making it Kerbalism compatible, too - you could check the latest master repo for configs as templates:
https://github.com/steamp0rt/Kerbalism
You could also take a look at the guide first
https://kerbalism.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

If this part pack gets overhauled a little and receives love by balanced Kerbalism compatiblity patches that would be great.

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@theJesuit how about providing proper Kerbalism patches for it, too? If possible ofc.

Certaintly possible.  I have some assignments due (hefty 3000+ word ones) due every week strarting tomorrow and for the next few weeks.  There may not be time to do it till mid November.

I was going to just do a Simplex Techtree and Simplex Kerbalism, but it won't be a hard extension to do a patch for the default profile too :)

At the same time I'll do something about the SSPX greenhouse that starts generating food after only 11 days to give it a potential lead in of 200 (so if it is turned off or loses atmosphere or built with GC or EPL and plants die you don't just turn it back on and get harvests again shortly) but I digress.

I think that Soylent will have a shorter cycling 'harvest' if not a per second tick.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For trips to planets in the Outer Planets Mod, is it possible to provide light via electricity?  Perhaps a big LED grow light array?  It'd take less weight to stick a nuclear reactor and a bunch of extra uranium than the number of arrays needed to fly that far out.

@GDorn The mod also has some "dark" parts that run on e, like you suggest bioreactors with LEDs. They we borked by some KSP model changes but I restored them in the most recent version of the mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.